My Darling Clementine working with Steve Nieve on an album of EC covers , 2019

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Re: My Darling Clementine working with Steve Nieve on an album of EC covers , 2019

Postby sweetest punch » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:46 pm

http://thinkcountrymusic.com/whats-new/ ... -costello/

My Darling Clementine break through the “Country Darkness” as they join with Steve Nieve to open up the country songbook of Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Member Elvis Costello

“Country Darkness Volume 1” launches through Fretsore Records on October 11th as an introduction to a wider project under the same premise from husband and wife duo My Darling Clementine in collaboration with Steve Nieve. The project as beautifully demonstrated by this initial 4 track EP explores the duo interpreting a number of songs previously recorded by a man that Nieve has spent over 40 years working with and is one of the most decorated musicians the UK has ever known. As a member of The Attractions and subsequently The Imposters, talking about Nieve is almost automatic when encountering the music of Elvis Costello and this is the music which is being explored in the form of country duets by Michael Weston King and Lou Dalgleish.

This EP and the overall project with Nieve was produced by King and Colin Elliott who the duo had previously worked with on their acclaimed sophomore record ‘The Reconciliation’ and acts as the follow up to their last country centred record ‘Still Testifying’ which they released back in 2017 and brings a beautiful and unique account of some of the tracks from the extensive Costello songbook that may not be as widely heard as they should be.

The 4 tracks are all songs Costello was involved in that have a connection or dynamic fitting for country or what is regarded as modern day Americana music. Leading in with the chilling piano solo by Nieve before the duo trade vocals and share harmonies for ‘Heart Shaped Bruise’ which as a breakup ballad acts as both a great introduction to the project in addition to the way these two vocals intertwine together so beautifully.

This is followed by ‘Stranger in the House’ a track that Costello had specifically written with George Jones in mind and the pair recorded it as part of Jones’s 1978 ‘My Very Special Guests’ collaboration album which the way the harmonies of My Darling Clementine make it retain the classic beauty of the song, having the female vocal aspect in the duet really brings a wonderful perspective to the song.

The penultimate and final tracks on the EP ‘ That Day is Done’ and ‘I Felt the Chill Before the Winter Came’ are both more traditional sounding country songs and themes that are a perfect fit to demonstrate Costello’s connection to the genre that were originally recorded and collaborated by him along with Paul McCartney and Loretta Lynne respectively. The vocal dynamic from King and Dalgleish is a perfect fit for both of these songs and just highlights their individual vocal prowess in addition to the majestic classic yet relevant sound they deliver as a duo.

This is a very intriguing project to bring some classic Elvis Costello numbers that may be forgotten or undiscovered into the ever growing Americana scene that is done beautifully and gracefully in a way that will open up the songs of a member of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame to a new audience whilst highlighting their position as one of the most talented duos within the UK’s fastest emerging genre.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.

sweetest punch

Re: My Darling Clementine working with Steve Nieve on an album of EC covers , 2019?

Postby sweetest punch » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:58 pm

https://buildingourownnashville.com/201 ... ep-review/

My Darling Clementine – Country Darkness – EP Review

My Darling Clementine are a UK based Country/Americana duo who consist of Michael Weston King & Lou Dalgleish. The critically acclaimed duo have released three albums, played over 700 shows across Europe and N. America, received numerous awards and they are currently one of the most exciting artists dominating the Americana scene at the moment.

Most recently the duo released their EP Country Darkness. The 4-track set is comprised of the bands re-interpretation of the country and country-soul songs of Elvis Costello, in collaboration with the great Steve Nieve.

The recordings also feature Colin Elliott, Shez Sheridan and Dean Beresford (from the Richard Hawley band) with whom they made their 2nd album ‘The Reconciliation’

‘Country Darkness Vol.1’ was produced by Colin Elliot (Richard Hawley, Jarvis Cocker, Duane Eddy) and MWK, and will is available on 12” inch vinyl including a free download code. It comes with stunning artwork by Jared Swafford, who has designed all previous MDC sleeves.

Kicking off with a hauntingly beautiful piano ballad, the song Heart Shaped Bruise is breathtaking and stunning. Lou’s vocals are captivating and the vocal harmonies from both Lou and Michael are alluring and elegant and blend perfectly. My Darling Clementine are like a less dark Handsome Family in this song and equally loveable.

Stranger In The House really brings a strong traditional country sound to the mix with a Rock and Roll edge. Lou proves her wide vocal range during this song and shows how she can sing ballads, uptempo, you name it, she can do it. The old fashioned stylings of Michaels vocals are infectious and seeing the pair live, I can only imagine is one hell of an experience. This track is the second single from this EP and is an interpretation of the Costello and George Jones classic. This is said to have been written with George Jones is mind and is one of the first country songs Costello ever wrote.

That Day Is Done is the kind of song that reminds us why we fell in love with country music in the first place. The old school sounds, the instrumentation, the story-telling, emotive vocals and the authenticity and My Darling Clementine have it all.

I Felt The Chill Before The Winter Came is a nice way to finish off what is way too short of an EP. Whilst the EP is somewhat perfect in its quantity we of course want more but that’s a good thing and they do have a nice back catalogue so we will be delving into that. This track has a wonderful rhythm to it and the song is wonderfully calming with a great wintery feel which is perfect in December of course. Costello wrote this with Loretta Lynn so is even more of a reason to love it!

I don’t really know much about Elvis Costello apart from his biggest hits but am certainly going to look up these tracks, however, I am sure I will find them to not be as good as these versions, perhaps in part because I am always won over by a female voice.

Overall this is a wonderful EP and something every true country/americana should get their hands on. The production has been done perfectly with strong instrumentation and on-point vocals.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.

sweetest punch

Re: My Darling Clementine working with Steve Nieve on an album of EC covers , 2019?

Postby sweetest punch » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:18 pm

Stranger In The House: https://youtu.be/vzFVsFXH-iU

sweetest punch

Postby sweetest punch » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:32 pm

https://americana-uk.com/my-darling-cle ... cords-2019

My Darling Clementine “Country Darkness Vol. 1” (Fretsore Records, 2019)

‘Country Darkness Vol. 1′ is a four-track EP of Elvis Costello songs performed by Michael Weston King and Lou Dalgleish AKA My Darling Clementine. The duo has been described by the Guardian as “a bravely unfashionable British Band who set out to play tribute to those great country duos Tammy and George, or Johnny Cash and June Carter. And they do it remarkably well”, and on the pages of this site as “one of the best bands the UK has offered in a good while”.

This being Vol. 1, more, perhaps unsurprisingly, is promised to further explore and rework more Costello country songs to duet. In fact, the band are well connected with Costello; Dalgleish wrote and performed in a play about obsession and infatuation which was based around Costello songs, while Costello collaborator Martin Belmont plays in the MDC touring band, while the Brodsky quartet blips on the radar of both artists. Most prominently, this volume also features the keyboard playing of Steve Nieve. The mutual roots, do indeed, run deep.

Given all of that, it is safer to say that the songs on offer here are Costello with a MDC twist rather than a full-scale reimagining. Indeed, the raw material for two of the songs is largely already shaped as they are from very country-tinged Costello albums: ‘Heart Shaped Bruise’ from the 2004 offering ‘The Delivery Man’ and ‘I Felt the Chill Before Winter Came’ co-written by Costello and Loretta Lynn, from ‘Secret, Profane & Sugarcane’. While ‘The Day is Done’ was co-written with Paul McCartney and appears on the gospel group the Fairfield Four’s ‘The Fairfield Four and Friends Live’. ‘Stranger in the House’ from Costello’s debut ‘My Aim is True’ when he was recognised more as a new wave/pub rock artist is the one that perhaps represents more of an exploratory interpretation.

Performed as duos the songs work extremely well, not least because Weston King and Dalgleish are accomplished artists who know what they are doing. Each song has a recognisable kernel of Costello; taking another artist’s songs and knowing what to add (or take away) without spoiling what made them unique to the writer is a difficult task. The addition of Steve Nieve is nice, his keyboards may not layer the songs with a signature sound, but there is something very satisfying about the completeness of having him contribute to these tunes. All in all, Vol 1. Is a tantalising entrée which leaves the listener hungry for more.

8/10

Man out of Time

Postby Man out of Time » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:38 pm

A short note on the MDC website says:

"Thanks to everyone who has bought COUNTRY DARKNESS Vol.1 and for those who have asked, yes, we are working on Vol 2 right now, hoping for it to be ready for release in February."

I understand that for Vol. 2, Michael and Lou are working with different musicians from those involved in Vol. 1. So Steve touring the US is not holding up proceedings. I look forward to hearing the next set of songs.

MOOT

Man out of Time

Re: My Darling Clementine working on Country Darkness Vol. 2

Postby Man out of Time » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:32 pm

So following the success of their first E.P. of EC Covers (Country Darkness Vol. 1) on the mighty Fretsore records , My Darling Clementine are following up with Country Darkness Vol. 2, which is recorded and awaiting mixing. It includes "Different Finger" in a Tex-Mex style and also "I Lost You".

They gave an interview on the Afternoon Show on BBC Radio Scotland on 23 January, and played a couple of songs including "I Felt The Chill". Interesting to see how they adapted the lyrics of the original to make it a duet.

You can "listen again" to the interview and their playing here: The Afternoon Show. It may not work in all parts of the world and you may need to register. Lou and Michael appear about 37:30 into the recorded show. Lou talks about her love of Elvis and respect for Steve Nieve (who played on Country Darkness Vol 1).

And according to Michael, we can look forward to seeing the duo somewhere in the audience on the forthcoming JustTrust2020 Tour. Possibly Birmingham or Manchester or Blackpool?

MOOT

sweetest punch

Postby sweetest punch » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:45 pm

In the interview Michael reveals that there will be two more vinyl-EP’s (volume two and three ).
In the summer all these tracks will come out on CD and 12-inch vinyl.

sweetest punch

Postby sweetest punch » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:27 pm

sweetest punch

Re: My Darling Clementine working with Steve Nieve on an album of EC covers , 2019

Postby sweetest punch » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:52 pm

Stranger In The House from The Quay Sessions: https://youtu.be/RdVFSyplbqA

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p082mjfg

sweetest punch

Postby sweetest punch » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:29 pm

Return to “Elvis Costello General Discussion”