"The King" from NY mag Sept. 29th

Pretty self-explanatory
lipstickvogue

"The King" from NY mag Sept. 29th

Post by lipstickvogue »

not sure if this is anywhere on the web so I'll type in the article (please excuse typos as my keyboard is a bit old & I am a bit sleepy.)
BTW - no photos of EC in this issue. Boo hiss!

New York magazine : September 29th, 2003

<b> THE KING
IS THIS YEAR'S MODEL A NEW YORKER?
</b>
A flurry of recent Elvis sightings - not Presleyan but Costelloid - in Manhattan has led to speculation that pop music's greatest overachiever has taken up residence here. But Costello is resolutely unrevealing on this matter. Perhaps revealingly so. "That's priviledged information," he said. "I'm not at liberty to tell you." Got it.

"I remember coming to New York for the first time quite clearly, and it being as powerful and mythic an experience as it is in films and songs," he says of the early, oxygen-depleting club tours with the Attractions. By the eighties, Costello was headlining Madison Square Garden ("We played so much the wrong set for the venue. Perversity. It was a dreadful night"), but it's the old Palladium on East 14th that he loved best. "That was just a ferocious treat then," he says. "You knew you were <i> somewhere </i>." Visiting Nick Lowe once in his dressing room there, Costello was shocked to stumble upon Andy Warhol ("I mean, what the fuck?").

To Costello, New York is a safe place. "The only time I ever felt a bit anxious was once when the pavement was frozen in ice, and I became aware that I couldn't get away quickly- that if someone asked me for my wallet, I'd probably have to give it to him.

"But I feel at ease, strangely enough, in such a teeming place," he continues. "It's so tumultuous, but at the most unlikely hours, it can all fall away. And that experience is repeated at different times, in different emotional circumstances. It is a properly evocative place."

-George Kalogerakis
it's always another day after twelve o'clock's struck
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/art ... ndex1.html

Elvis Costello
The King
Is this year’s model a New Yorker?

A flurry of recent Elvis sightings—not Presleyan but Costelloid—in Manhattan has led to speculation that pop music’s great overachiever has taken up residence here. But Costello is resolutely unrevealing on this matter. Perhaps revealingly so. “That’s privileged information,” he says. “I’m not at liberty to tell you.” Got it.

“I remember coming to New York for the first time quite clearly, and it being as powerful and mythic an experience as it is in films and songs,” he says of the early, oxygen-depleting club tours with the Attractions. By the eighties, Costello was headlining Madison Square Garden (“We played so much the wrong set for the venue. Perversity. It was a dreadful night”), but it’s the old Palladium on East 14th that he loved best. “That was just a ferocious treat then,” he says. “You knew you were somewhere.” Visiting Nick Lowe once in his dressing room there, Costello was shocked to stumble upon Andy Warhol (“I mean, what the fuck?”).

To Costello, New York is a safe place. “The only time I ever felt a bit anxious was once when the pavement was frozen in ice, and I became aware that I couldn’t get away quickly—that if someone asked me for my wallet, I’d probably have to give it to him.

“But I feel at ease, strangely enough, in such a teeming place,” he continues. “It’s so tumultuous, but at the most unlikely hours, it can all fall away. And that experience is repeated at different times, in different emotional circumstances. It is a properly evocative place.”—George Kalogerakis
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I think I'm seeing double... :shock:

.thanks the both of ya!