Bizarre Costello impersonation in modern day video

Pretty self-explanatory
thepopeofpop

Bizarre Costello impersonation in modern day video

Post by thepopeofpop »

I was watching MTV in the Netherlands (yes, they still have music on it here for part of the day) and I noticed a fairly new video which featured a guy who looked rather like EC, and was dressed approximately in the Costello mode (rather like all the bad suits he's ever worn rolled into one). This alternated with the same guy dressed in what one might call "Split Enz chic" (complete with bizarre hair). Then he started to appear as both simultaneously, EC on one side of the body and "Neil Finn" on the other. As I recall, Neil wears hornrims in some of the early Split Enz videos, certainly "My Mistake" and "I See Red", so this might explain the connection. Although the look does vaguely remind of "that guy from the Buggles" too.

Just to compound the weirdness, the guy started making "EC moves"; hand gestures and body language and the kind of "dead fish stare" that the young EC did so well.

MTV didn't put up the name of the song or the artist, but I remembered some of the words, googled them, and came up with the video, "Ready For The Floor" by Hot Chip:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=AW94AEmzFhQ

So, am I right or am I righter? I also think that the hookline (Do it, do it, say it, say it etc..) owes a bit to "Pump It Up".

Is there some kind of EC-loving cult lurking in the gay dance music community these days?
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
Lester Burnham

Re: Bizarre Costello impersonation in modern day video

Post by Lester Burnham »

Yeah, he seems to look and move a lot like EC, though some of his moves reminded me a lot of David Byrne in 'Once In a Lifetime'. Apparently, he's supposed to be dressed as the Joker from Batman (the first one, with Tim Burton directing), and the line "You're my number one guy" was spoken by the Joker to one of his henchmen (or something like that).
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

That is one bizarre video. I can see it with the dead fish stare, but he looks more like John Foyle to me. And that made it even more bizarre...
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

but he looks more like John Foyle to me.
He should be so lucky!
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

Lester Burnham wrote:Yeah, he seems to look and move a lot like EC, though some of his moves reminded me a lot of David Byrne in 'Once In a Lifetime'. Apparently, he's supposed to be dressed as the Joker from Batman (the first one, with Tim Burton directing), and the line "You're my number one guy" was spoken by the Joker to one of his henchmen (or something like that).
He looks more like the Joker from the TV Batman (Cesar Romero) than the Jack Nicholson Batman, in terms of how he's dressed. I just checked the Prince Batdance video, because supposedly that was an inspiration too, but it really doesn't look anything like that - except that Prince does wear a "split down the middle" outfit at one point (but it doesn't look anything like the outfit in "Ready for the Floor").
--Paul--
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

StrictTime wrote:That is one bizarre video. I can see it with the dead fish stare, but he looks more like John Foyle to me. And that made it even more bizarre...
I suspect that one's happiness in life is probably largely determined by how closely they resemble John Foyle. 8)
--Paul--
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

That video made me scared and angry.
migdd

Post by migdd »

What's with the teeth? I don't get that part. The guy does look a bit like Elvis and a bit like JF. This reeks of illegitimate love child but I'm pretty sure that's still scientifically impossible! :lol: :lol: :lol:
always dancing

Post by always dancing »

Back to the good old days when MTV showed music videos. Each one trying to be more bizarre than the last. Of course I would try to figure out what the video would have to do with the song and get a headache. Than the only choice was to go out dirnking and dancing or go to bed.
migdd

Post by migdd »

always dancing wrote:Back to the good old days when MTV showed music videos. Each one trying to be more bizarre than the last. Of course I would try to figure out what the video would have to do with the song and get a headache. Than the only choice was to go out dirnking and dancing or go to bed.
Thems was the days. I always tried to opt for drinking, dancing and going to bed . . . all at the same time! :wink:
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I'm a big fan of Hot Chip's second LP, Made In The Dark, as well as the wonderful 'Ready For The Floor' above, it contains some great slower pieces. Lots of 80s synth band influences, but great songwriters too, with some very moving things on it and a lovely wistful tone. I've seen them on TV several times, but never saw an EC link. Their image as a band is one of being nerdy computer programmers, so OK, a link there, but they also dress up silly and mess around quite a bit. I totally recommend the LP, it has some outstanding songs on it. One of the best of the year for me:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Made-Dark-Hot-C ... 230&sr=1-1
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more