Nick Lowe Dates

Pretty self-explanatory
oliversa1

Re: Nick Lowe Dates

Post by oliversa1 »

Went to the Liverpool Philharmonic Sunday great concert, superb seat, row B seat 20 which turned out to be front row dead centre. It started with a 35 minute session from Ron Sexsmith who was excelent.

We were then treated to an hour and a half of Nick with his band, absolutely brilliant. The highlight was his version of PLO.

To top it all, got set list at end, scan to follow.
Don't Start Me Talking, I Could Talk All Night.
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I shouldn't even reply to that nonsense - it's all a matter of taste, bla, bla, and of course I refute all three counts - but the guitarist bit is laughable. He's an extremely good guitarist in terms of phrasing, tone, expressiveness. Take a guitarist to see him and see what they say.
I am not a guitarist, but I have spent most of the past few years watching guys play guitars in pubs. And there were no decent "licks" or anything that showed he was anything more than competent. I've seen much better from lower-profile people.

I know it's all a matter of taste (I met some people in the crowd who knew nothing of Nick Lowe) and had driven from York just to see Ron Sexsmith) but I was very excited to see RS - musicians and fans alike who's opinion I respect rave about him. But he did very little for me, and even less for my parents (who have seen many more blokes with guitars in pubs than me, and attest to the fact he ain't that great a guitarist).

I'd love to be proved wrong - I realise this is going slightly off topic here, but which albums/songs should I check out?
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Like many great songwriters, the genius isn't always immediate, his depths are only revealed after 5 or so listens. The seeming simplicity ('cliched', as you would have it) of his words only comes through as significant after you've taken the songs on board. Then again, if his voice does nothing for you, there's maybe no hope. For me his voice is a balm, it literally makes me feel better physically and mentally.

The first LP eponymous remains a classic. Other favourites of mine are Retriever, Cobblestone Runway and Whereabouts, but all are very good. He's made 8 solo LPs proper, and listing those four means I'm missing out on the brilliance of Time Being and Blue Boy. Other Songs, his second, has never grabbed me as much, other than the classic 'Strawberry Blonde'. The last one Exit Strategy of the Soul is less stellar, but still very worth it.

If you're not on Spotify, sign up now, they have Ron Sexsmith and Whereabouts, I recall.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
luis

Post by luis »

Nick Lowe & Ry Cooder have just started their European tour a couple of days ago in Ireland, and are soon going over to England.
Can anybody post me a set list please?
I'm seeing them in Madrid in month and am dying to know what they are playing.
Thanks

L
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Didn't keep note of Fridays show, but there was nothing terribly obscure. Just Ry, Nick, Joachim and 2 backing singers, Flaco is unwell. Awesome stuff in so many ways. The sound was perfect, my 3rd row circle seat was on the aisle in front of the right speakers. Nick started off with one of his songs, then Ry, then Nick again, and then it was all Ry. Probably the most obscure was One Meat Ball, which Ry said was the first performance he's done since before Joachim was born. There really wasn't a dud track all night, they could do no wrong. Nick finished things off perfectly, I wont spoil it for you, I'd nearly forgotten what great bass player he is.You're in for a treat, enjoy.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Here's the setlist from last night's show in Belfast -

PLU ended up being switched with 'Sister in the performance. It was an excellent show , all the favourites etc. A little more singing by Nick would have been nice but he was vital to the rest of the show in his bass playing role. One song started in too high a key and it was Nick's calm ,assertive action that made them stop and start again and get it right.

Ry guitars impressed -

To top it all , this morning I looked from my breakfast ( a real ' heart attack on a plate' Ulster Fry) in the hotel next to the venue to see Ry walk by my table, wearing the same wooly hat he had on stage, a big book in his hand. Excellent!
luis

Post by luis »

Thank you very much, I can't wait.
¿What song is "fool who knows"?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

"Fool Who Knows," from the Little Village album.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Village_(album)
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Ry Cooder, Nick and Joachim Cooder

Liverpool Phil

Sat 11/7/09!
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Hi Mike

I've been a Cooder fan since "Boomers Story" and love his playing, But you missed off some essential info - tickets £55 or £65 each.

Heartbreakingly this puts him way outside MR + Mrs Top Balocony's price bracket.

Perhaps it'll end up on Dime like the recent Amsterdam show?

If you get to go I'm sure it will be fantastic.

Colin TB
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

-from the Ry Cooder yahoo group

Ry Cooder and Nick Lowe Announce Japan, New Zealand, Australia Tour

After taking Europe by storm earlier this summer, Ry Cooder and Nick Lowe have announced a month-long tour through Japan, New Zealand, and Australia for late this year, beginning November 4 at Nagoya, Japan's Zepp Hall and winding up at the Riverside Theatre in Perth, Western Australia, December 1. Highlights along the way include a three-night stint at Tokyo's Orchard Hall, two nights at Sydney's State Theatre, and two at Melbourne's Palais Theatre.

Ry's son Joachim Cooder will join the tour on drums, as he did in Europe, and singer Juliette Commagere will return as special guest vocalist.

After the group's shows in the UK, The Guardian asserted that "Cooder
belongs to the elite group of guitarists, Eric Clapton and BB King among them, whose style can be identified by a single note." The Scotsman gave a perfect five stars to their Edinburgh set, exclaiming, "Cooder showed why he's considered the best slide player in the world." The Herald gave that show five stars as well, saying the set "confirmed Cooder's status as the king of slide guitar."

Below are the scheduled tour dates and venues. For more information and links to the venues, visit nonesuch.com/on-tour.

SCHEDULED TOUR DATES

11/4 Zepp Nagoya, JAPAN
11/5 JCB Hall Tokyo, JAPAN
11/6 Grand Cube Osaka, JAPAN
11/9 Orchard Hall Tokyo, JAPAN
11/10 Orchard Hall Tokyo, JAPAN
11/11 Orchard Hall Tokyo, JAPAN
11/16 Civic Theatre Auckland, NZ
11/17 Michael Fowler Centre Wellington, NZ
11/19 Town Hall Christchurch, NZ
11/21 Convention Centre Brisbane, AUS
11/23 State Theatre Sydney, AUS
11/24 State Theatre Sydney, AUS
11/27 Festival Theatre Adelaide, AUS
11/28 Palais Theatre Melbourne, AUS
11/29 Palais Theatre Melbourne, AUS
12/1 Riverside Theatre Perth, AUS

http://www.myspace.com/juliettecommagere
jmm

Post by jmm »

Before heading across the Pacific with Ry, Nick will be doing 2 solo dates in NYC @ City Winery Oct 13 & 14

http://www.citywinery.com/events/26414

http://www.citywinery.com/events/26742
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

He's playing Hardly Strictly Bluegrass again this year.

http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/
blureu

Post by blureu »

The full list of dates. Some with Aimee Mann; others with Bill Kirchen.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2 ... -_200.html
always dancing

Post by always dancing »

Just saw Nick Lowe at The Colonial Theater in Pheonixville, PA (outside Philadelphia) The Colonial is a 100 year old theater know for the place "The Blob" was filmed. I took my 12 year old son who is learning to play guitar. Nick's warm up guy was Bill Kirchen, from Commander Cody (the guy who did "Hot Rod Lincoln"). He was a very good guitarist. Than Nick played solo except for "I used to know the bride" that he played with Kirchen. Nick was also very good. Kirchen took time after the show while signing CD's to talk to my son and give him some guitar pointers. Nice guy.
kilyuradeo

FOR SALE: 1 Nick Lowe Ticket New York City Winery TONIGHT (W

Post by kilyuradeo »

FOR SALE: One FRONT and CENTER Section Ticket TONIGHT, Wednesday night for Nick Lowe at City Winery in Manhattan (corner of Varick and Vandam).

Call Me
jeff
201 655 8314
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Interesting blog about a new Lowe song 'I Read A Lot'-

http://syp.typepad.com/sypsays/2009/10/ ... 3-m4a.html
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

thanks for that.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Nick Lowe talks about Elvis 'n Ian Dury in the current issue of The Word -

http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/

"I wouldn't say I was a friend of his. We had a warm, friendly acquaintance and I saw him very infrequently after I left Stiff. I'd run into him from time to time. We both liked to exchange gossip and slag off pillars of the musical coinmunity who we thought needed taking down a peg. We'd exchange scurrilous rumours that we probably knew weren't true but we'd try out on each other.

His success seemed inevitable. It was patently obvious [on the 1977 Live Stiffs package tour) that Ian and Elvis were extremely ambitious. These two people meant it and were ready to go to work, whereas I -- and the other people I was knocking about with - thought it was a bit of a holiday. It was quite a shock seeing these two sides going to work on each other, trying to blow each other off the stage each night. Sometimes one made it, sometimes the other. The original idea was that we would rotate the bill and of course that was absolutely out of the question after day one - my oafish yelling and shouting was obviously no match for the precision machines that Elvis and the Attractions and Ian and the Blockheads were. We very quickly just let Elvis and Ian sort it out between them.

"Ian was a cut above, something quite different. But a lot of his London stuff was all bollocks - he made it up. I remember him coming out with this stream of rhyming slang one night and said to him, `What the fuck are you talking about?' He just winked at me. He was a showman and there's nothing wrong with that. But he did attract these awful goons who would swallow the whole thing. I think he thought they were faintly ridiculous.

Beloved national institution or no, as much as I admired him both as an artist and for what he'd had to overcome, I saw him behave like an absolute shit to people on more than one occasion. They were generally people who were unable to defend themselves, either intellectually or because they were fans in awe of him. He used his charisma to quite devastating effect. He might even have done it to me but because I was sloshed most of the time back then I wouldn't have noticed. And even if I did, I'd have cared even less. In fact, I'd have probably seen it as an affectionate leg-pull."

The Word feature is about a new film about Dury

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1393020/
Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll (2010)

and a new Dury biography -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ian-Dury-Defini ... 926&sr=8-3

Ian Dury: The Definitive Biography
by Will Birch

15 Jan 2010

I just got a present of this book. Hopefully it's as good as Birch's pub rock book ; more later.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Ian Dury bio. is a thoughtful read. It doesn't let up on telling about his failings , along with a terrific amount of detail about his music etc. Birch has a uncomplicated style of telling the tale. The text isn't cluttered with footnotes or annotation. It made me listen the Stiff albums all over again and want to find some of Ian's later work.

The book had a official launch the other day -

http://iandurybiography2010.blogspot.com/

including -

Peta Waddington, Nick Lowe and Will Birch

Charlie Gillett has some interesting thoughts about the book -

http://www.charliegillett.com/bb/viewto ... 45&t=13505