Changes to Official EC site ($$$)

Pretty self-explanatory
FAVEHOUR

Changes to Official EC site ($$$)

Post by FAVEHOUR »

They've updated the site at elviscostello.com, finally adding lyrics, songs from 30:10, and downloads. The big change is that there's a members only thing now, and you have to pay $35 a year to be a member! No more free presale privileges.
Kind of irritating, ain't it??
johnfoyle

Re: Changes to Official EC site ($$$)

Post by johnfoyle »

Ah, feck it , I've joined...now there's a surprise!

Membership does get these questions answered-

Why do I have to pay a membership fee when so much Internet content is free?:

The Internet is full of free content, and much of the information on elviscostello.com is free as well, such as schedules, certain news stories or press releases, artist information, etc. elviscostello.com's annual membership fee is not a charge for a 'website' but rather a subscription for an 'online fan club' which offers interviews, behind-the-scenes videos and stories, and countless other unique privileges. Fees help cover the cost of production, design, staffing, technology and other resources needed to bring the content to you through the Internet.

Many fans have found membership to be an experience worth their investment; but just like any product or service, membership is a choice you can make to enhance your experience as a fan or you can decide only to access the free content with no financial obligation. The choice is yours. Whatever you decide, we welcome you to elviscostello.com!

Can I have Elvis' email address?:

All correspondence with Elvis, whether from the staff members, artists, friends, acquaintances or fans, are handled through his personal assistants due to the volume of mail he receives.

Elvis would not be able to carry on with his life if he tried to sort through and respond to every message he receive. Elvis do want to hear from you. The MessageBoard section is dedicated to interaction, so if you want him to see something, head over there and post for all to see. We cannot guarantee you'll get a response, but your message will get read.

The profile section is new , which, of course, explains why it includes -

Best Friends
johnfoyle has 0 friends

With this helpful reiteration -

You do not have any best friends.

Thanks.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Oh, don't get me wrong, John. I joined too!

Dave
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

I think it's great if we're actually going to get $35 worth of content. It's awfully skimpy at the moment though.
snapyou

Post by snapyou »

Where are the 30:10 songs?
Can't for the life of me find them :(
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

It's no different to the secret Members Only subscription element on this site where I pay $100 a year to see exclusive footage from the bathrooms of certain female members of this site :wink: :lol:

As ever I will not get in on the bottom rung for this EC membership service but will wait until I hear what you actually get. I remember when I was in The Jam's fan club and used to receive flexidiscs, a pack of cards, a book of matches, photographs and badly photocopied newsletters. Ah, the good old days...

And John - I will be your best friend (for a small fee!).
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
migdd

Post by migdd »

verbal gymnastics wrote:It's no different to the secret Members Only subscription element on this site where I pay $100 a year to see exclusive footage from the bathrooms of certain female members of this site :wink: :lol:
Whaaaat??? I've been tooling around this board for over five years and nobody told me about this!! I thought you guys were my friends!!! :lol:
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

snapyou wrote:Where are the 30:10 songs?
Can't for the life of me find them :(
Media > Audio

They're at the top of the list.
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

When I signed up there was a message "You Are Done." I couldn't help thinking "I just have been." Mind you The Who website is well worth joining as you get a free double live cd and a T Shirt! I wonder if we will get the same generosity from EC!??
migdd

Post by migdd »

I'm taking a wait-see stance on this. I was just on the site and there are sections that are currently down and undergoing updates. Looks as though there is additional content just around the corner.
verbal gymnastics

I signed up fo rthe newsletter and it came up with the site being down for updates message so I wasn't sure if it had gone through. Then later on I was sent an email to say "CONGRATULATIONS Welcome to elviscostello.com newsletter".

I wonder what the newsletter will be like.
verbal gymnastics

migdd wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:It's no different to the secret Members Only subscription element on this site where I pay $100 a year to see exclusive footage from the bathrooms of certain female members of this site :wink: :lol:
Whaaaat??? I've been tooling around this board for over five years and nobody told me about this!! I thought you guys were my friends!!! :lol:
I'll probably be ostracised now for letting this slip. License to peek revoked. :lol:
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

johnfoyle wrote:... if he tried to sort through and respond to every message he receive. Elvis do want to hear from you.
You'd have thought that for $35 year (probably $50 next year) you might get accurate grammar. Count me out.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
sexysadie7

Post by sexysadie7 »

if you read the fine print, the $35 only gets you the ability to purchase up to four tickets in ONE presale. it looks like the people that are doing this are the same people who run a similar thing for the police! (coincidence...i think not!)

i understand that this is a way to keep scalpers under control, but, sheesh.

still, that doesn't mean that i won't decide to do it later. i'd hate to be left out, which would, for the first time in years, make me an EC "outsider".

(btw, otis, i noticed the grammar mistake too.)
you lack lust...
you're so lacklustre...
is that all the strength
you can muster?