Elvis & Jenny Lewis 'Carpetbaggers' video (2008)

Pretty self-explanatory
BlueChair

Re: Elvis On New Jenny Lewis Album

Post by BlueChair »

Man, these people don't know greatness when they hear it, do they???
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
arcadecline

Post by arcadecline »

This was in the review on Spin Mag's website: "Her winsome alto is polished but less adventurous, and the ballads lack urgency, though "Pretty Bird" is sultry fun. Guest Elvis Costello storms through "Carpetbaggers" with throat-scraping enthusiasm (which she unfortunately doesn't match)."
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

I got the album yesterday and I believe it's pretty good and it could end up being better than Rabbit Fur Coat and on par with Rilo Kileys latest.

Stand-out tracks so far gotta be The Next Messiah, Acid Tongue and Jack Killed Mom (though it's better live).

To me EC sounds just like Elvis Costello on Carpetbaggers which is a good thing in my world. And I don't know much about bass-playing but Davey Faraghers playing is almost recognizable.

Going to my third Jenny Lewis concert Oct. 14.th in Copenhagen - is hoping for a speciel guest star too much to ask?
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

I think it's a great album; better than the last Rilo Kiley one and certainly better than Rabbit Fur Coat.
EC on Carpetbagers is great; the song reminds me of 2 Neil Young songs mixed up, though, Powderfinger and Looking for a Lover.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Here's a interesting slant on the initiation of the ' fuku sessions/album. So far the impression has been that Elvis was having so much fun in Jan. '08 working with Jenny that he just started knocking out songs. Ms Lewis' comments here suggest that he came to the sessions for her album with two of his songs for her to record. They were either rejected by her or just sounded better when done by Elvis. I wonder which songs are referred too?

http://www.redorbit.com/news/entertainm ... for_elvis/

12 October 2008

( extract)

There's a song called Carpetbagger on your new album - what's that about?

That song was written by my boyfriend Johnathan Rice and is about the treachery of women. Carpetbagger I believe was a phrase coined after the civil war. It represented a group of people that came down to the south to profit and to scam people out of their money.

How did Elvis Costello become involved in that song?

He called me randomly a couple of years ago. I thought it was prank. Johnathan sang this song with me on the road but we wanted someone who would make it less country and a little more pop. So I emailed Elvis. He mentioned he had two new songs and would we be open to recording them.

So they became a part of his record Momofuku.
He was such a down- to-earth guy - he's one of my heroes and you can chat with him about anything. It was great getting to know him.

This is coming up on BBC Radio 2-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/radcl ... sion.shtml

Mon 20 Oct - Jenny Lewis in session
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Hmmm. I don't read her quote that way. "He mentioned he had two new songs and would we be open to recording them" could mean he wanted to use the available musicians as his backing band rather than that he wanted to donate the songs to her album. The Momofuku songs recorded at that initial session were "Drum & Bone" and "Go Away."

On a related note, Elvis mentioned on his website that they recorded "a couple of versions of a song Rice had written for Jenny's record." He also implies that Pete and Tennessee Thomas play on the song, but the released version of "Carpetbaggers" has only Jason Boesel credited on drums. Did Pete and Tennessee play on the other version?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.avclub.com/content/interview ... e=from_tag

(extract)

AVC: How did the duet with Elvis Costello, "Carpetbaggers," come about?

JL: We had met each other a couple of times. He actually called me when [Rilo Kiley's] More Adventurous came out. My phone rang and I didn't recognize the number. I picked it up and it was Elvis on the other end of the line. I truly thought it was a prank. Johnathan wrote "Carpetbaggers" for us to sing on some of the Rabbit Fur Coat tour, because Rabbit Fur Coat, the songs on that record are not exactly rocking. There are some mid-tempo numbers, but we wanted something that was a little more upbeat. We sang that song as a duet on the road for about a year. Johnathan sang it in a very low register, and when Elvis came in he basically took it up an octave and changed the intention of the song, which I really like. I think he made it less country. Wait, you asked me how it happened. Sorry, I'm rambling on and on, I haven't had my morning coffee yet. [Laughs.] I e-mailed him, basically, and I sent him a YouTube video of myself and Johnathan singing that song with a tone-deaf puppet.

AVC: A puppet?

JL: A puppet, yeah. We did this thing backstage at Town Hall a couple years ago for this puppet show called Steve Paul's Puppet Music Hall. That was the only recording or reference that I had for Elvis. So I sent him that YouTube and told him to ignore the tone-deaf puppet.

AVC: And what was his reaction?

JL: He acknowledged the puppet's lack of skills. He was like, "Don't worry about it. I'm going to crush that puppet."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I'm just in from Jenny 'n co.'s show in Dublin tonight. Excellent stuff, able musicians replicating the crunchy guitar sound and other elements of the Acid Tongue album. Ms Lewis was full of impish charm, much more outgoing and engaging than the restrained show she did here with the Watson Twins a few years ago. Carpetbaggers and The Next Messiah were highlights, really getting the stuffed Button Factory venue worked up.My throat is in bits from roaring along. Acid Tongue was done with Jenny on vocals and acoustic guitar and the rest of the (all male) group gathered around a single ribbon microphone - magic! As part of the encore Jenny and Jonathan Rice did a cover of Love Hurts.

Just the other day I played 'Tongue and Momofuku as two discs in a random player. They go together just about seamlessly, not surprising considering their common features and so on. Alas it seems that tonight's show is the closest I'll get to see some of those songs in concert.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Acid Tongue was done with Jenny on vocals and acoustic guitar and the rest of the (all male) group gathered around a single ribbon microphone - magic!
The same performance in Glasgow-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lastyearsgirl_/2954022831/

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Elvis and Jenny are on the cover of the new Filter magazine:
http://filter-mag.com/index.php?c=mag

"Something Borrowed, Something New: The Perfect Union of ELVIS COSTELLO and JENNY LEWIS".
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Nothing new in this - what a great photo!

http://www.foammagazine.com/art_and_mus ... new-album/

(extract)

FOAM: Isn’t it scarier making a record though? I mean—it’s all on you!
JL: Sure it is! But it’s also very liberating. If the music sucks then you finally realize it’s you that sucks.

FOAM: Well, that’s certainly not the case with you. And you have amazing musical friends like M. Ward, Elvis Costello and your boyfriend Jonathan Rice on this record, so that must make you feel a bit more secure.
JL: It doesn’t necessarily make me feel more secure, but collaborating is one of the true joys of playing music. I feel really good about this record, the way we all hit it off. We tracked it so quickly, live in the studio, so I didn’t have time to freak out.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.uncut.co.uk/

Carpetbaggers is on the disc with the latest issue of Uncut.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://shanepilgrim.wordpress.com/2009/ ... nny-lewis/

A fantasy about Jenny 'n Elvis that is disturbing in a curiously funny way.

(extract)

Not surprisingly, Elvis and I would have a pretty great day together. He’d take me to his favorite antiques dealer, assuring me I’d find something worth purchasing. Sure enough, I’d go antiques crazy and practically buy out the whole lot: Chinese rugs, velvet paintings of jaguars making love, a wax bust of Roy Orbison.

I’d pay for my things and start to head for the door. Elvis would linger for a bit, telling me to wait outside because he’s just got “one quick thing” he has to take care of.

Moments later he’d exit the store wheeling out nothing less than a full-sized suit of armor.

“Elvis!”

“What! You said you liked it. Consider it a wedding present for you and Jen!”

“You… you wonderful old man!”

And like that, a bond would be forged between the two of us. Jenny wouldn’t mind, either. Because she’s the best.
snapyou

Post by snapyou »

From Filter:
"He strides into the room seeming impossibly tall and endlessly poised. Elvis is in the building—Costello, of course—and it’s enough to keep Jenny Lewis on her toes. The duet is nothing new to music. Neither is the appearance of an elder statesman on the album of a young star for posterity, nor the reverse for the sake of a little shined-up sparkle. But when a legend with three decades and 34 albums to his hallowed name is coaxed OUT OF RETIREMENT by the sheer energy of an inspired young songwriter, momentousness abounds. Here, Filter bridges the gap between Costello and Lewis as they discuss their mutual inspirations and adulation for each other."

For someone that's supposedly picking up his pension,wee Elvis is pretty damn busy.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://stereogum.com/archives/photo/jen ... 64121.html

April 14, 2009

Fans turning up to Jenny Lewis's set at the Glass House last night received a special treat. It was not that BF Jonathan Rice came out on stage, because when is he not onstage with her, and it was not that they covered "Love Hurts" together, because they do that a bunch, too. On the door a flyer announced a surprise screening of Welcome To Van Nuys, Jenny's forthcoming documentary on the recording Acid Tongue. Our photographer Andrew Youssef was there to shoot the scene and says it featured cameos from Jenny buddies Zooey Deschanel, Elvis Costello, and M. Ward, and mostly focused on studio footage and "making of" scenes. Van Nuys is where Acid Tongue was recorded. It's also Jenny's hometown. Now you know.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The video for Carpetbaggers in full -

http://pitchfork.com/tv/#/musicvideo/36 ... ough-trade
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.examiner.com/x-885-Orlando-E ... all-trades

Jenny (Lewis) of all trades
June 28, 12:57 PM

Nicole Gordon

Orlando Entertainment Examiner

She may have debuted in a Jello ad and played a feisty little girl on an episode of the Golden Girls (my personal favorite) but Jenny Lewis has done a lot since her days opposite Tori Spelling in Troop Beverly Hills. Known better these days as the front woman of Rilo Kiley (another personal favorite), Lewis has not only grown into a triple threat (actress, singer, documentary filmmaker) but a beautiful woman.

Every couple of years, Lewis seems to surprise fans with new endeavors such as her teaming up with the Watson Twins or her cameos with the Postal Service and Elvis Costello, not to mention inspiring many a haircut at BarBQ Bar, and she isn't done building that resume' yet.

This Monday Jenny solidifies herself as a filmmaker as she debuts her documentary " Welcome To Van Nuys" at The Plaza Theater with special guests Heartless Bastards. "Welcome to Van Nuys" is a look into the recording of "Acid Tongue", Lewis's solo endeavor that is surprisingly filled with a bit more soul, folk, and jazz. The documentary features cameos by Lewis's friends Elvis Costello and Zooey Deschanel (among others) and allows fans a peek into the studio where Acid Tongue was recorded.

For die hard fans, "Welcome to Van Nuys," will undoubtedly be just as flawless and entertaining as any of Jenny Lewis's work. For trivia lovers, Van Nuys is also Jenny Lewis's hometown. Come out to the Plaza Theatre (425 N. Bumby Ave) and spend an evening with an incredible woman. When's the last time you got that kind of invitation?

For more info: Plaza Theatre is located at 425 N. Bumby Ave Orlando, FL 32803 407-228-1220
Show starts at 7 pm. Tickets are $20 in advance, $25 at the door.
Visit Plaza Theatre online at www.theplazatheatre.com/
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Hey, has anyone noticed that the verse of Carpetbaggers (which I think is a great single, BTW) sounds like a mix of 'Love Is A Rose' by Neil Young and (the dreadful) 'Walk of Life' by Dire Straits?
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

Hey, I like 'Walk Of Life' :(

For some reason, whenever I hear 'Carpetbaggers', I hear elements of 'Big Tears' and Squeeze's 'Up The Junction'. Can't put my finger on exactly what elements, so maybe I'm just hearing things.
alexv

Post by alexv »

... and I hear Backing Out by John Wesley Harding (maybe it's Pete's drumming, since he's on both tracks, I think).
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

I thought it sounded like Tom Petty's "The Apartment Song."

Pete's actually not on the released version of "Carpetbaggers," but he apparently plays on an unreleased version, as mentioned earlier in this thread.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This Jenny 'n Elvis video, from 2008, is new to me.

https://www.thisismyjam.com/andywaghorn ... paign=user

Original vimeo link -
https://vimeo.com/7900046
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis & Jenny Lewis 'Carpetbaggers' video (2008)

Post by johnfoyle »

Some screen grabs

Jeremy Dylan

Re: Elvis & Jenny Lewis 'Carpetbaggers' video (2008)

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Elvis is wearing my jacket.