Steve & new band coming to Joe's Pub in NYC 8/8

Pretty self-explanatory
jmm

Steve & new band coming to Joe's Pub in NYC 8/8

Post by jmm »

Steve Nieve: Maybe Your Name:

Upcoming Shows: 7:30 PM - August 08

Show Description
Steve Nieve participates to the birth of a new band "Maybe". A band conceived in Paris France by Jokka and Vic. Jokka (drummer) composes the music and gives his energy of rock and metal. Vic, vocals - composes the lyrics and provides the romantic french touch, a fusion that might be called Romantic Metal. Steve Nieve will introduce some new titles of his own and then he will introduce "MAYBE" - VIC vocals - JOKKA drums- SETH guitar- NIEVE keyboards.
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
johnfoyle

Re: Steve & new band coming to Joe's Pub in NYC 8/8

Post by johnfoyle »

http://lucidculture.wordpress.com/2008/ ... mber-2008/

Fri Aug 8, 7:30 PM at Joe’s Pub, longtime Elvis Costello keyboardist Steve Nieve collaborates with a drummer named Jokka and a singer named Vic to create a new band called Maybe. Nieve is arguably the greatest noir piano player alive and something of a jokester as well. $25 adv tix absolutely necessary and well worth it.
jmm

Post by jmm »

Anyone else going???
snapyou

Post by snapyou »

Sound good to me.
Have they an album available to buy or any tunes for download?
migdd

Post by migdd »

Jokka is Muriel Teodori's son and a pretty good drummer. He toured with Steve last autumn for a few shows. I was fortunate enough to be able to attend their show at the Evening Muse in Charlotte last September, just a few weeks prior to the EC/Nieve concert in the same city.

They didn't have any recordings at the time but maybe that has changed since then.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The above Myspace sites have links to tracks etc.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

awaiting your recap jmm! thanks, ba
jmm

Post by jmm »

The show was very good but only about 50 people there and a bunch of them were family and friends

Started with Steve by himself doing audience interactive "think of one note - tell me the note - using that to compose an overture. He joked that two people gave him the same note so it'd be a little tougher."

He then played a few songs by himself - mostly without singing but he did sing a bit. He played one that "he wrote for a friend who recently had twins based on twin piano with the idea that some day it'll be played by two pianos at the same time"- wonder who that might be?? Ended with a very nice medley that included Short w/His Own Gun, Almost Blue and some others

Brought out the "young people who made the music you'll hear" members of Maybe guitar, vocals and drum. Jokka apparently wrote most of the music (which was very good) and played very well. Vic(?) was on vocal and she put lyrics to the music - kind of basic and straight forward but interesting - her voice was very nice albeit somewhat limited in range and with a distincyt english accent -- reminded one of the prople I was with of Nico. Seth did a nice job on guitar. The four of them were on stage for maybe 10 or 12 songs. Some were excellent others not so much but all interesting. When just Steve and Jokka were playing or in a grove together with the others it was quite special. They did a song with Steve on vocal about "where would I be without my electronic keyboard" at the end that was really good. Steve might need to teach them Spooky Girlfriend which seems well sutied

Stage had a backdrop of Steve's window slides running at different speeds the whole time.

When they went offstage you could see Jokka giving his step-dad a big bear hug and lifting him off of his feet

Too bad more folks weren't there to see it. Sounds like the Paris dates are the only ones planned for WttV
Last edited by jmm on Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

thanks jmm....sounds like a nice evening. wish i could have been there. did you meet Steve? he is ALWAYS very gracious in these instances!
jmm

Post by jmm »

Did say hi to Steve and as usual he was very nice
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

ahhh, the summer i was NOT well Jack! :cry: