Relatively Insignificant EC Stuff. . .

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Re: Relatively Insignificant EC Stuff. . .

Post by johnfoyle »

https://twitter.com/sproutsfan/status/7 ... 5121385472

Rock on the Tyne (1981) , met Elvis,the Attractions and Ian Dury. U2 support

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.kellyjbaker.com/albums-15-we ... king-week/

David Gooblar -

'My essay on Elvis Costello, music and identity, and the weirdness of young love is up and I'd like you to read it.'
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.musicalmaps.com.au/search/la ... iscostello

The Elvis Costello “The Man” album cover is located at
The Holloway Motel,
West Hollywood, California,
United States

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

EC is interviewed in Ron Howard's Beatles documentary, Eight Days A Week.
It’s telling that the one active musical peer among the director’s chosen panel of talking heads is 61-year-old Elvis Costello; if you’re wondering what Paul McCartney’s recent collaborator Kanye West, for example, might have to say about The Beatles’ enduring influence on younger artists, this is not the place to look.
http://variety.com/2016/film/reviews/th ... 201838359/
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-o3bsn ... ture=share

Newish to youtube - Elvis appears at c. 3.00 , talking about Agnes Bernelle & her album. A ECIS from the time lists this as 17 May 1985.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... ning_Board

This NME feature tells more

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... y_11,_1985
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

EC appears twice in Pitchfork's The 200 Best Songs of the 1970s.

Elvis Costello & the Attractions
“Radio Radio”
Like many of the songs cut in 1977 by Costello’s newly assembled band, the Attractions, the instrumental attack of “Radio Radio” carries a clear punk energy, and the song’s lyrics likewise suggest punk sympathies. In protesting the blandness of the BBC’s playlists—and its refusal to give airtime to certain notorious punk records—Costello’s cynicism is easy enough to identify in the bridge: “They say you better listen to the voice of reason/But they don't give you any choice ‘cause they think that it’s treason.” But the track also changes tenor over its course. One claim—“Radio is a sound salvation/Radio is cleaning up the nation”—is sarcastic early on. Yet by the end, the possibility of grace achieved through broadcasting is so palpable, the singer can obviously envision it for real.

On “Radio Radio,” Costello wills a new, more honest radio landscape into being. It’s this gradually emerging idea of a station “broadcasting from within you”—as Costello put it in his memoir—that allows the bashing anthem to transcend the language of the snide takedown and become a call to aesthetic action. –Seth Colter Walls

Elvis Costello
“Alison”
Elvis Costello has put forth a great deal of effort to ensure “Alison” is not misunderstood. In his 2015 memoir, Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink, he wrote that the track is a work of fiction: “It was a premonition, my fear that I would not be faithful or that my disbelief in happy endings would lead me to jill the love that I had longed for.” Much of his anxious justification comes from the common interpretation that his unforgettable refrain, “Alison, I know this world is killing you/Oh, Alison, my aim is true,” is a call to kill this newly conjured woman. It’s funny and fitting that Costello has fretted over his own poeticism for decades, because it’s that same self-loathing and need for approval that makes “Alison” beautiful in its complexity.

At its core, “Alison” is a near-perfect ballad, fit for a wedding or prom—any moment that requires a slow song that feels deeply personal. But as Costello’s pain surfaces from being spurned by his dream girl for a man she doesn’t even love, you hear his scorn: He tells her how unhappy she is. “Alison,” in one context, becomes a work of projection, but it’s the song’s multitudes that makes it universal: Love, anger, sadness, and hope are inextricable. Untangling “Alison” entirely requires serious self-reflection. Costello’s continued rationalization shows that not even he can fully comprehend its magic. –Matthew Strauss
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Huh!? Elvis ( or whoever Tweets for him) liked my Tweet. Someone tweeted a ticket stub from 1979 & I jokingly (honest!) asked for a setlist.

https://twitter.com/JJohnFoyle/status/7 ... 1180534784

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Sigh ............
You mean you don't have one of these, John
My copy has a little bit of flaking where the picture is coming away from the vinyl - don't play it much now !!
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

My head is spinning and my legs are weak
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://dc.eater.com/2016/9/8/12848104/l ... pens-today

Restaurateur Jackie Greenbaum calls it an "upscale Italian version" of sister spot El Chucho, having a similar (but larger) setup with front walls that open to the outside and rooftop open air seating. The 100-seat restaurant has a 15-seat sidewalk patio, too.

The pieces of artwork dotting the walls are her creations, and long and narrow cozy layout will make patrons "feel squeezed — in a good way," with clean lines and funky pops of red scattered throughout.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This is first time I've seen this image of the single that Elvis says he happened on in a shop etc.

via https://twitter.com/mixton51

Correction - from Elvis's note with GCW -

I found the original Teacher's Edition version of "I Wanna Be Loved" on a Hi Records compilation in a cutout bin in Newcastle, while on tour.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

New to me -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q330rRbmSJE

'Elvis Costello "Baby turn around" - Archive INA'

Baby Plays Around , Paris , February 25th 1989

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... s_Blanches
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Striking image from a feature from 1979 that's newly archived on the wiki site -

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... ,_May_1979
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

Interesting this, and it leads me on to a question I've been wanting to ask for years, if not decades ! I don't know if John or Sulky have the answer, but I managed to get one of these back in 1980, so I know it's an original, and at the time I was led to believe that they were as rare as the proverbial "rocking horse s**t, and worth a fortune.

Over recent years they seem to be changing hands now for very sensible money as mentioned in that Discogs piece.
So, the big question.................was there ever a re-press done, are there some reproduction copies that have been done ( fakes ), has it just devalued, or were there more around than originally thought . As I said, I know mine is an original, so are there different grades or versions of this picture disc promo ? All info gratefully accepted !

Over to you Sulky..............or whoever !

Cheers !
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Like you, Goon, I thought these were absolutely impossible to find a bit like the Radio Radio 12 inch. However, in recent years they've dropped in price considerably. You've got em worried now because of the way that the picture is beginning to come away from the vinyl - and I thought that was a proof of age rather than being a bootleg ! Interestingly, it's not mentioned in either Geoff Parkyn's excellent ( though incomplete!) discography or Richard G.'s first ECIS book "So Far" - though the latter does show a bill for mixing MAIT on 26th January 1977 to Nick Lowe and D.P.Costello ( for the Whitton/MAIT time line, John). I remember cutting out a Record Collector guide to EC records in the late 70s and another one a few years later in the early 80s and I'll dig them out and have a look. Other promos are mentioned in those books including the orange vinyl "Now See Them Live" 12" promo of Elvis, Nick Lowe and Mink Deville and the Red Hearts and red vinyl My Funny Valentine single.
My gut feeling is just that people no longer feel that the album is such a rarity and consequently they have resurfaced. The two-tone single I Can't Stand Up seems to go for serious money on eBay but was increasingly common when it was given away at a London concert in 1980 ( was it the Rainbow in September ?) and I remember paying less than £20 for it back in the day when my furthest travelling would have been 40 miles from my parents house in Devon. I'll hunt out the Record Mirror piecse soon
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

sulky lad wrote:Like you, Goon, I thought these were absolutely impossible to find a bit like the Radio Radio 12 inch. However, in recent years they've dropped in price considerably. You've got em worried now because of the way that the picture is beginning to come away from the vinyl - and I thought that was a proof of age rather than being a bootleg ! Interestingly, it's not mentioned in either Geoff Parkyn's excellent ( though incomplete!) discography or Richard G.'s first ECIS book "So Far" - though the latter does show a bill for mixing MAIT on 26th January 1977 to Nick Lowe and D.P.Costello ( for the Whitton/MAIT time line, John). I remember cutting out a Record Collector guide to EC records in the late 70s and another one a few years later in the early 80s and I'll dig them out and have a look. Other promos are mentioned in those books including the orange vinyl "Now See Them Live" 12" promo of Elvis, Nick Lowe and Mink Deville and the Red Hearts and red vinyl My Funny Valentine single.
My gut feeling is just that people no longer feel that the album is such a rarity and consequently they have resurfaced. The two-tone single I Can't Stand Up seems to go for serious money on eBay but was increasingly common when it was given away at a London concert in 1980 ( was it the Rainbow in September ?) and I remember paying less than £20 for it back in the day when my furthest travelling would have been 40 miles from my parents house in Devon. I'll hunt out the Record Mirror piecse soon

Cheers Sulky, I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it !

I was at the " two-tone freebie" gig , can't remember if it was Odeon or Palais, and even went round asking people, especially couples, if they wanted theirs! Got a few extras that were subsequently sold in Sounds !
You might have even bought one of mine Sulky !! ! :lol:
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I think I got mine at a record fair in Redruth of all places !
I've kept a diary since 1980 and when I retire, I'll make a list of all my memorable Costello dates, records bought, gigs attended etc.
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

sulky lad wrote:I think I got mine at a record fair in Redruth of all places !
I've kept a diary since 1980 and when I retire, I'll make a list of all my memorable Costello dates, records bought, gigs attended etc.

........it'll be a b****y long list ! :wink: 8)
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

Goon Squad wrote:
sulky lad wrote:Like you, Goon, I thought these were absolutely impossible to find a bit like the Radio Radio 12 inch. However, in recent years they've dropped in price considerably. You've got em worried now because of the way that the picture is beginning to come away from the vinyl - and I thought that was a proof of age rather than being a bootleg ! Interestingly, it's not mentioned in either Geoff Parkyn's excellent ( though incomplete!) discography or Richard G.'s first ECIS book "So Far" - though the latter does show a bill for mixing MAIT on 26th January 1977 to Nick Lowe and D.P.Costello ( for the Whitton/MAIT time line, John). I remember cutting out a Record Collector guide to EC records in the late 70s and another one a few years later in the early 80s and I'll dig them out and have a look. Other promos are mentioned in those books including the orange vinyl "Now See Them Live" 12" promo of Elvis, Nick Lowe and Mink Deville and the Red Hearts and red vinyl My Funny Valentine single.

I was at the " two-tone freebie" gig , can't remember if it was Odeon or Palais, and even went round asking people, especially couples, if they wanted theirs! Got a few extras that were subsequently sold in Sounds !
The 2 Tone record was given out at the Rainbow 50th anniversary gig in September 1980 along with a free programme.

I got two as my girlfriend at the time was given one too and she wasn't a fan. But I gave hers away to a mate who couldn't make the gig.

I got Elvis to sign it last year in Birmingham and his comment was, 'oh you got one of them'.

My head is spinning and my legs are weak
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

Offshoreram wrote:
Goon Squad wrote:

The 2 Tone record was given out at the Rainbow 50th anniversary gig in September 1980 along with a free programme.

I got two as my girlfriend at the time was given one too and she wasn't a fan. But I gave hers away to a mate who couldn't make the gig.

I got Elvis to sign it last year in Birmingham and his comment was, 'oh you got one of them'.

Brilliant ! Great idea ! Like it !
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Checked the Record Collector items and neither of them mention the MAIT/TYM promo other than to make a general comment about American promos which "would need another article to cover" . I have a gut feeling that more and more EC material will come on the market for less and less as people get older, need money or just lose the desire to keep a collection. I even gave away one of my 11 MAIT LPs with a beige back cover to a 22 year old at work who's into vinyl. (Mind you it was a worse condition copy than the other beige one ! :oops: )

My long term hope is that there are numerous live recordings that some collectors have kept to themselves and that soon they'll see the light of day - such as the Kampuchea concert, which must have been professionally recorded, along with a few professional recordings mentioned in Going Through The Motions and a few of the U.K. tour in 1980 ( has anyone got Fishguard, Hastings or Aberystwyth ?!!!)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Now that would be a Billboard and a half to put over the roof of Sulkyville - I feel a DIVORCE coming on if I mention it !!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

WFUV, a great local public radio station, has a daily question of the day which creates a 15-20 minute setlist. Today's theme was songs that feature a trumpet:

http://www.wfuv.org/content/trumpets

Listener Gregg from Upper Montclair is challenging you to come up with songs that feature trumpet solos. So we're going to shine the spotlight on that instrument in the horn section for the Question of the Day. Share your favorites and we'll spin a set after 9 am.

Here's what we played:

Johnny Cash "Ring of Fire"
Elvis Costello & the Attractions "Shipbuilding"
Us3 "Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia)"
Cake "Never There"
The Cat Empire "Never There"