Relatively Insignificant EC Stuff. . .

Pretty self-explanatory
migdd

Relatively Insignificant EC Stuff. . .

Post by migdd »

Brother bambooneedle had an excellent suggestion on another thread - we need a thread (with a sticky - Blue, can you help us with that?) for relatively insignificant EC news. Similar to "EC When You Least Expect It", this thread is for all EC-related news that might not warrant a thread of its' own.

Get the picture? Let's give it a go. . .
johnfoyle

Re: Relatively Insignificant EC Stuff. . .

Post by johnfoyle »

( Splutter!!!!!) Nothings' Insignificant' about Elvis !!!!!!!!!!

Seriously , great idea.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

EC likes Bewley's tea.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,2020707 ... 37,00.html

EW 1000: Music
The New Classics: Music

The 100 best albums from 1983 to 2008

Posted Jun 17, 2008 | Published in issue #999-1000 Jun 27, 2008

(extract)

52. Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga Spoon (2007)
53. King of America Elvis Costello (1986)
54. Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814 Janet Jackson (1989)
55. It Takes a Nation of Millions... Public Enemy (1988)
blooch

Post by blooch »

ECs Dad once appeared in an R Whites lemonade advert but i spose you all knew that. Didnt you?

The angels Wanna Wear My Red Shoes and im pleased to let them have them cos they really hurt my feet.
migdd

Post by migdd »

By the way, welcome blooch! (Are you the same blooch from the Graham Parker forum?)

fyi - you may want to consider posting miscellaneous questions and other trivia on this thread rather than creating a new one for each mini-topic. The general discussion forum can get a bit thread-heavy at times.

Glad to have you aboard!!
blooch

Post by blooch »

Hello. Yes its me the same Blooch from the GP site. Im still learning at 45 years old. Will take your comments on board mate. I just found this one the other day. Any news on an EC tour? I last saw him at the Ipswich regent nearly 10 years ago now. He played alongside Steve Naive that night and it was all seated. I bought a ticket for one of the best seats and was seated two rows from the back. Im sure i was swindled as he looked like an ant on stage.
terryhurley

Post by terryhurley »

blooch wrote:Hello. Yes its me the same Blooch from the GP site. Im still learning at 45 years old. Will take your comments on board mate. I just found this one the other day. Any news on an EC tour? I last saw him at the Ipswich regent nearly 10 years ago now. He played alongside Steve Naive that night and it was all seated. I bought a ticket for one of the best seats and was seated two rows from the back. Im sure i was swindled as he looked like an ant on stage.

so long as he didn't look like Adam Ant on stage

hmm.....don't you ever, don't you ever, don't be a dandy la la la la la la
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Sorry to be pedantic, but EC's dad didn't really appear in the advert for R White's, did he? Ross sang the catchy song, and I believe a young EC was on backing vocals. The man in the advert wore glasses and I assume that is where the rumour about it being EC's dad began. He was a proper actor.
blooch

Post by blooch »

Oh No! now my life is ruined. I grew up believing that it was his Dad. How can i ever believe anyone again. By the way Im a secret lemonade drinker. Ive been trying to give it up but its one of those nights. R Whites. Sad life i lead.

Olivers Army is here to stay but ive no room at my house so have booked them into a B&B.
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Trivia question. Stiff Little Fingers released a single the title of which was taken from a line on EC's Trust album. What was the name of the SLF song and the Trust track??
EarlManchester

Post by EarlManchester »

Mikeh wrote:Trivia question.
Stiff Little Fingers released a single the title of which was taken from a line on EC's Trust album. What was the name of the SLF song and the Trust track??
I read in the paper about their escape
They're just two bits of kids from a bunch of sour grapes
You better watch your step
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-9977878-52.html

June 26, 2008 10:11 AM PDT

Making vinyl records the old-fashioned way

Posted by Daniel Terdiman

(extract)

NASHVILLE, Tenn.--When people think of the Beatles coming to America, they usually conjure up images of The Ed Sullivan Show and screaming teenage girls chasing the Fab Four on the streets of New York.

But here in Music City, there's something else to commemorate the earliest stages of the British Invasion: the fact that the first American Beatles 7-inch record was produced by United Record Pressing--then, as now, one of the largest makers of vinyl in the world.

On Monday, as I swung through Nashville on Road Trip 2008, I was lucky enough to get to visit the production facilities of United Record Pressing here and get a firsthand look at how LPs are made. Before you scoff at the notion of making records, consider that over the last few years, the format has made a big comeback, with sales skyrocketing and turntables moving off store shelves like they haven't in years.

Millar showed me a room in the basement of the building that contained thousands and thousands of folders--really, they seemed like extra-thick album covers with no art--that contain the masters of every record the company has produced over the years. This is a treasure trove bar none, since United Record Pressing works with pretty much every major label you can imagine.

Inside each folder is the master, and a full set of all the associated materials: the master, a label, an album jacket, and anything else that might be included, such as liner notes. And these days, as with an Elvis Costello album Millar showed me, the folders may also hold an insert with information for a digital download of the album.
ahawkman

Post by ahawkman »

I also dislike the forced "to the bridge" in the otherwise great Flutter and Wow.

Quiz question:
Name another song where EC uses similar wording, though in a more subtle manner. In fact, I never realized it until hearing this song just the other day.
I'drathergoblind ...

Post by I'drathergoblind ... »

Take it to the bridge, she sighs. -- Pidgin English

Agreed, it's much less forced (and clever, in context).
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

ahawkman wrote:I also dislike the forced "to the bridge" in the otherwise great Flutter and Wow.
I get the sense that he's telling the band to extend the performance -- and that they'll be going back to the bridge, and taking it from there.
I may be wrong...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Most of these aren't available but are still worth a look!

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=378739

ELVIS COSTELLO Concert Invoice & Performance Statement (1984 UK concert invoice and performance statement for Elvis Costello's solo appearance at Colston Hall, Bristol in November 1984. This unusual and unique item includes a breakdown of artists' requirements including hall box office, crew, rehearsal times, security, refreshments and dressing rooms. Also includes a 10" x 8" colour publicity photograph of Elvis).

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=433689

ELVIS COSTELLO & THE CONFEDERATES Framed Concert Poster (Original US concert poster for the 12th November 1987 show at the Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans, with special guest Nick Lowe. The poster has a white background with large red 'ElvisCostello' text at the top with 'And The Confederates' smaller blue text bellow, all the other gig details text at the bottom is in blue & red. This great original poster has been framed in a red wooden frame & glazed and is ready for display, measures 14½" x 23" in size).

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=440041

ELVIS COSTELLO Momofuku (Official 2008 US UMG label 12-track advance promotional CD-R acetate. The sessions for 'Momofuku' were inspired by work Costello did on Rilo Kiley frontwoman Jenny Lewis' forthcoming solo album, which featured Costello'sImposters bandmates Davey Faragher [bass] & Pete Thomas [drums]; and features collaborations with Rosanne Cash & Loretta Lynn, with guest appearances by Tennessee Thomas [Pete's daughter and drummer for The Like] and Jenny Lewis & Johnathan Rice - Custom printed stickered disc with title/tracklisting details ).

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=212151

ELVIS COSTELLO My Aim Is True (Rare 1977 French 13-track white label test pressing vinyl LP for the full album which has the catalogue handwritten on one side and housed inside a generic die-cut sleeve! 526001)

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=284210

ELVIS COSTELLO Mystery Dance (1977 French-only Stiff Records 7" b/w Pay It Back, unique black/white title sleeve).

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=43623

ELVIS COSTELLO Punch The World (Rare 1995 US 6-track promo sampler CD, includes 4 tracks from Punch The Clock and 2 from Goodbye Cruel World, picture sleeve! VRCD0279/80) .

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=84612

ELVIS COSTELLO Set Of 5 Live CDs (Rare 1997 US promotional only 5-CD set - includes Live At The Paradise Boston [5-track], Live At The Fillmore San Francisco [4-track], Live At Troubadour LA [4-track], Live At The Supper Club NY [4-track] & LiveAt The Park West Chicago [4-track] - Each CD housed in a generic white card sleeve with a different custom title sticker on the front!!).

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=388659

ELVIS COSTELLO The Fairfield Four (1997 US Warner/The Press Network label promotional only press pack includes 1-page press release about Elvis seeing and performing with The Fairfield Four, plus a 7" x 5" black & white publicity photograph taken by Libba Gillum).

verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Eil was the only place I've ever seen a copy of Kojak Variety with the two extra tracks. It was £450 and is now £350 if you are interested.

My offer of £2.37 in unmarked coins wasn't accepted.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
migdd

Post by migdd »

The Police will release a DVD/CD set documenting their reunion tour, which, as we all know, features EC and the Imps as the opening act. EC will not appear on the set.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i ... our-cddvd/

The Police will release a live CD/DVD set documenting their year-plus reunion tour. Drummer Stewart Copeland says two of the band’s Buenos Aires concerts in early December were recorded for the album. The double-disc set is expected out later this year. A documentary about the reunion tour, titled Better Than Therapy, will also be included on the DVD, with Copeland’s son Jordan the director of the doc. The reformed Police will perform their last concert together August 7th at New York City’s Madison Square Garden. That concert will benefit public television stations in New York.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Is Gary Oldman taking fashion tips from Elvis at the NYC premiere of The Dark Knight?

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1915393792/rg3469253120
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://floweringtoilet.blogspot.com/200 ... range.html

Monday, July 14, 2008
No Hiding Place Indeed

Posted by Pete Bilderback

(extract)

Another comparison, another similar result. This time out it's a track from Elvis Costello & the Imposters' MOMOFUKU. Once again, you can see that whoever mastered the CD managed to squeeze nearly all the dynamic range out of the music. No wonder Costello reportedly wanted to release this album exclusively on LP. This isn't as bad as some recent CDs, but it isn't particularly good either.

Elvis Costello & the Imposters - "No Hiding Place" CD (2008)

Elvis Costello & the Imposters - "No Hiding Place" LP (2008)
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Thread on the Black Cat Bone message board about making the perfect EC compilation:
http://www.bcb-board.co.uk/phpBB2/viewt ... =1&t=72764
migdd

Post by migdd »

Really insigificant:
Evidently little Nick Jonas of the teeny-bopper band, The Jonas Brothers, likes EC.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/21896731/

excerpt:

Despite his heartthrob status, Nick has more Eddie Vedder in him than he does Shaun Cassidy. He says his favorite songs are Elvis Costello's "(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea" and Johnny Cash's "Give My Love to Rose."
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

Elvis-related...

Pete and Davey were part of the backing band called, I believe, Uptown in the movie Step Brothers. The band was a covers band of 80s-only Billy Joel, and their repertoire consisted of 'Keeping The Faith' and 'The Longest Time', though they kept getting heckled and the lead singer eventually ran into the audience and started a brawl.

Regarding the film itself, well... it was typical Will Farrell fare, good enough when you're in another state of mind, but to say that, for me, the cameos of Pete and Davey were the highlight says quite a lot...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

'Right after that it was time for our first dance (Shallow Grave by Elvis Costello)'

Yes, the perfect Costello song for a wedding. While this has to be one of the more surprising bits of Costello to pop up in a blog search, you just have to admire to effort put into the whole day.

http://www.myaimistrue.com/archives/200 ... 60708.html