Relatively Insignificant EC Stuff. . .

Pretty self-explanatory
Jack of All Parades

Re: Relatively Insignificant EC Stuff. . .

Post by Jack of All Parades »

A small shoutout of EC in this piece on "Hot Burrito #1" and its incarnations over the years:

http://www.chimesfreedom.com/2011/06/11 ... burrito-1/
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Jack of All Parades

Congratulations to Mr. Foyle- he made it onto the Sunday, October 6th, edition of the news page for "Expecting Rain" for his Billy Bragg/EC transcription and its references to Dylan.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

:D :D
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2 ... it_fo.html

October 7, 2013

The home was the place where Coltrane wrote A Love Supreme, one of the greatest jazz compositions ever. There was a studio in the basement that certainly heard some of the greatest music of the 20th century. Sunday's benefit at En Japanese Brasserie was a fun time for a great cause, namely to raise $85,000 to finish the restoration of the endangered John & Alice Coltrane home on Candlewood Path in Dix Hills in Huntington Town on Long Island, NY (just south of the LIE off exit 51)

Guests in the crowd included the legendary drummer Roy Haynes (now 88 years old) who sometimes filled in for Elvin Jones in Coltrane's classic quartet from 1961-1965, Wynton Marsalis, Marcus Miller, Jimmy Heath, and Elvis Costello who added his signature to one of Santana's guitars, which was being auctioned along with original artwork.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

On Sunday I saw someone on Southend Seafront wearing an Elvis and the Imposters T shirt
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Invited to a music-loving friend's 45th party last night, where one was invited to bring a 45rpm or two (I brought a bag, my Radio Radio didn't get aired, but someone's Oliver's Army did), so I made a '45 mixtape' CD that kicked off with, you guessed it, 45. She didn't know the song, she thought, but loved the idea, and the explanation of 1945, and buying a 45rpm 9 years after 1954. Elsewhere were various of favourite artists recent and less so, inc. Walk Us Uptown and Tripwire.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

MSNBC's Now With Alex Wagner used "Chelsea" as bumper music earlier today.

It was at least the third time in the last few weeks they've used an EC song. I think EIWTB was used last week.
Last edited by Azmuda on Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

The third episode of the CBS drama HOSTAGES was titled 'The Power of Persuasion'.

Draw your own conclusions.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Olympic Studios, London , where Blood and Chocolate was recorded, is now a cinema - I must pop in as part of the Elvis Costello Heritage Trail.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/r ... 88794.html

(extract)

The building was originally a theatre, but was a cinema from the Twenties and was last called the Barnes Picture House. But it is best known for its golden era as the setting for some of the most important recordings in rock history and many original features have been retained, including rugs and carpets that soundproofed the music room, in the three-year refurbishment.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

One of Elvis' more obscure side projects in the 1990s is detailed in a feature I just sent to the wiki site .

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... ember_1996
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Charity store find - a few euro just got me this 1979 lp that includes a cover of Girls Talk. It looks very scratched . My team of sound technicians (er, the brudder) will work on it & see if it can be shared with the world.

The real find in this series would be this -

- for its version of Olivers Army
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Those albums were the weirdest things ever. Take, if you will, the juxtaposition of Death Disco with the sleeve photo. And the cover versions were invariably rubbish. Even aged 11 or something they didn't satisfy cos they sounded so unconvincing.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.fastcompany.com/3020577/lead ... ma?partner

Beyond Belief: Profound Productivity Insights From Elvis Costello's Creative Masterpiece

For this installment of leadership album of the week we're taking a trip to 1982 with the original Angry Young Man.
Jack of All Parades

While catching up on the latest segment in this documentary series- 56 up- an earlier subject, Peter of Liverpool, had returned. During his segment he makes mention of EC and how he inspired his current attempt at a music career based on the favorable words he wrote about Gram Parsons in an article in a music publication. Go figure.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Following Lou Reeds demise, BBC Radio 4's P.M. Interviewed legendary rock writer Charles Shaar Murray who described Lou as one of the more difficult people in the business along with Van Morrison, Bob Dylan and our Elvis - a common thread here, I think !
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A interesting set of tapes changed hands recently.

Image Image

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELVIS-COSTELLO- ... 41787fb281

'This is rare opportunity to get master tapes for various Elvis Costello albums.I've never seen similar auction. A must for all fans and collectors!

If you know a bit about the process of pressing records you understand how rare these tapes are. Usually you'd have 2 or 3 sets of master recordings before record goes to the pressing plant. One goes to the plant and the label keeps another set(s) just in case. These are copies were left with the label. 11 cassettes of digital recordings ready to press. DAT and ADAT cassettes. Titles, dates and specifications on each and every tape. Fantastic stuff.'
Jack of All Parades

The esteemed Mr. Foyle makes an appearance on Expecting Rain today 10/31/13 yet again. This time with a byline for a piece on T Bone Burnette:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/t ... ife-651400
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://architecturesofspatialjustice.wo ... roversies/

October 10, 2013

Kevin Botchar

(extract)

In Jeremy Till’s book entitled ‘Architecture Depends’, the chapter regarding “lo-fi architecture” opens up with an anecdote about Elvis Costello’s recording process and how, once a piece of music is recorded by top-of-the-line engineering equipment, it is played back through a “cheap radio”. Costello’s reason behind all of this is fundamentally simple. It is to “hear how it sounds in real life. How it sounds over the noise of a breakfast table.” Because, after all, songwriters – and architects alike – do not have the “luxury of knowing the precise circumstances under which their work will be received.” Although Till identifies this tale as being possibly an irrelevant analogy, it turned out that – for me, at least – this idea set out a clear path as to how I would understand his grounding ideas about Architecture, Architects and their practice, as well as Dr. Albena Yaneva’s methodology of “Mapping Controversies.”

http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/architecture-depends
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

MUTV (Man United tv) played Walk Us Uptown to advertise the under 21 match later in the week
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Rosanne Cash tweeted this clipping. I have no idea where it's from.

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Anita Faragher posts today to F/book -

TONIGHT! Watch The Crazy Ones on CBS at 9pm. Thomas Faragher produced Josh Groban's music and vocal performances for this episode and check out Davey Faragher playing bass in his band! Josh was great to work with and the music is really fun thanks to Marcus Watkins on guitar, Pete Thomas on drums and Davey Faragher on bass!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Rosanne Cash tweeted this clipping. I have no idea where it's from.
Sebastian Krys (La Santa Cecilia's producer) tweeted the same article and said it was from Rolling Stone.
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Last night:

NEW YORK, NY - NOVEMBER 13: Diana Krall and Elvis Costello attend the 'Billy Crystal - 700 Sundays' Broadway Opening Night Performance at the Imperial Theatre on November 13, 2013 in New York City.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Canadian band "San Sebastian" covering the first two verses and some of the third verse of Pump It Up, at a show in Kingston, Ontario in August 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fnl13u3rrdw

I don't sense that the vocalist knew all the song very well.

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Maggie Caldwell ‏@lifeinaskillet tweets

Giggling about the creepy killer in S2 @TheGoodWife_CBS being influenced by Elvis Costello and Gerard Manley Hopkins #ManOutOfGodsGrandeur

Most likely a reference to this March 2011 episode ( spoiler alert!) -

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/03/ ... -tv-recap/