Relatively Insignificant EC Stuff. . .

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Re: Relatively Insignificant EC Stuff. . .

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.morgenweb.de/nachrichten/kul ... -1.1115232

A review of the Diana Krall concert in Baden Baden (Germany) reveals that the Costello-Krall family took a holiday in the "Schwarzwald".

(...)
Ansonsten gab es an dem Konzert nichts zu mäkeln - außer vielleicht, dass es nicht mehr zu einem kleinen Duett zwischen ihr und ihrem Mann Elvis Costello kam. Die Familie hatte im Schwarzwald einen Kurzurlaub gemacht und genoss Land und Essen sehr. Einen Song des Gatten gab es immerhin: "Almost Blue".

Google translation:

Otherwise there was nothing to complain about at the concert - except perhaps that it never came to a little duet between her and her husband Elvis Costello. The family had taken a short vacation in the Black Forest and enjoyed country and eating a lot. A song of her husband, did in fact: "Almost Blue".
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.likepunkneverhappened.blogsp ... -1983.html

Poptastic Elvis is the latest Smash Hits from 1983 to be archived
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

I could avoid noticing on the news that a royal baby and future king has been born. St Mary's, Paddington - Isn't that our king Elvis was born? I doubt it was in the £5000 per night room though.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

a royal baby and future king has been born. St Mary's, Paddington - Isn't that our king Elvis was born?
Indeed , and the child being born on the same day as the first track from the new album appearing. I was trying to think on the day of a succinct way to say that in a Tweet but decided that I really didn't care that much!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Newish to youTube - 81 minutes of Elvis Costello Live / Videos / Commercials / Interviews / Specials

Hodge podge of Elvis Costello footage, Some promo video's, live footage, an interview here or there, all of dubious quality since these were found on an old VHS tape in a record store I worked at in the 90's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOmMh0XQ53U

Mark on F/book notes -

Starts with some promo videos..Main things of interest are the Snyder show 1981 and George Jones HBO show and first Letterman appearance in 1982.

Paul Inglis
posts to F/book -

Here's a breakdown of the whole thing:

00:00 - 04:46 Live performance - Detectives - Live Stiffs tour 1977 (excellent sound, good video)
04:50 - 07:08 Get Happy music video - High Fidelity (part) (no sound - so skip this bit)
07:13 - 09:14 Can't Stand Up For Falling Down music video (with sound)
09:15 - 11:11 Love for Tender music video (with sound)
11:13 - 14:03 Olivers Army music video (with sound)
14:05 - 17:13 Pump it Up music video (with sound and spoken intro by person unknown. Mix sounds different to standard release)
17:15 - 20:25 Chelsea music video (with sound)
20:26 - 23:51 PLU music video (with very bad sound)
23:52 - 24:21 US TV commercial for Get Happy (featuring EC)
24:22 - 27:55 Clubland music video (no sound, and only part of the video - sound starts intermittently about 26:05)
27:58 - 30:11 Live performance - The Imposter - Concert for Kampuchea 1979 (excellent sound, good video but out of sync)
30:13 - 30:31 Tom Snyder introduces New Lace Sleeves (out of sync, as are all the Tom Snyder bits)
30:31 - 34:19 New Lace Sleeves performed on Tom Snyder show (issues with video tape around 32:30)
34:20 - 45:20 Interview with Tom Snyder
45:22 - 48:46 Watch Your Step performed on Tom Snyder show (intentionally broadcast in black and white)
48:47 - 51:55 Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down live on George Jones TV special (very out of sync, EC has mumps)
51:59 - 56:15 He's Got You live on George Jones TV special (continuation of previous segment)
56:20 - 57:22 EC introduces George Jones ... George Jones monologue
57:25 - 57:55 I Got A Woman (sung by George Jones)
57:59 - 1:01:15 Stranger In the House (duet by EC and GJ ... funny bit around 59:36 where GJ attempts to pat EC on head ... hilarity ensues)
1:01:16 - 1:02:53 I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down UK TV appearance (miles out of sync, not miming to the studio version, but lip synced anyway) Kenny Everett show?
1:02:55 - 1:03:35 David Letterman introduces EC (still several leagues out of sync as are all subsequent clips)
1:03:35 - 1:06:45 Kid About it on Letterman
1:06:45 - 1:16:30 Interview with Letterman
1:16:35 - 1:21:41 Man Out of Time on Letterman
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A Q (Sept) feature explains Pete Thomas' role on the new Arctic Monkeys album

Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

This appears to be an Italian Maine Coon pedigree cat called Elvis Costello del Faro:

elvis_costello_del_faro_maschio_intero

Born 18 September 2008
Colour: Solid black

Pedigree

Lui il nostro piccolino di casa…
figlio di Jacy e Sambuca nato con cesareo la mamma non lo ha allattato e quindi

mi sono presa la responsabilità di fare da vice mamma.

Viziato birbantello e distruttore ma simpatico e molto molto intelligente.

Lui non si sente gatto ma molto bambino.

Ama incondizionatamente il suo “babbone” umano a tal punto da farsi fare qualsiasi cosa…

solo da lui…

gli estranei sono un po’ di peso per lui…
elvis_costello_del_faro_maschio_intero.jpg
elvis_costello_del_faro_maschio_intero.jpg (24 KiB) Viewed 19132 times
Insert your own punchline about pads, paws and claws here..........................

http://delfaro.net/elvis-costello-del-faro-pedigree/

MOOT
nicola76

Post by nicola76 »

What a fantastic name for a cat! Mine is called Ruby Tuesday - I'm sure I missed a trick there.

Anyway, Alison appeared in the soundtrack to Channel 4's Southcliffe (2nd episode) a few nights back :wink:
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

A memory piece on the anniversary of the other Elvis's passing. Need to note that the writer gets his EC performance date mixed up in the fog of time:

http://likethedew.com/2011/08/23/two-guys-named-elvis/
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A neat presentation of these two versions. Besides the change in lyric , it's interesting to get such an immediate comparison between the Clover and Attractions styles of play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Nmob78 ... r_embedded

Elvis Costello -- "Less Than Zero" [Original + Live Dallas Version]
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

This site, which is for fans of Roddy Frame and Aztec Camera, includes a page of audio interviews with Roddy from over the years:

Killermontstreet.net

About 2/3 way down the page you'll find a clip labelled Re:Elvis Costello 1987 subtitled "Roddy talks about early praise from and tour with Elvis Costello ", in which Roddy talks briefly about being asked to tour the USA with Elvis.

This was on the 1983 tour when Aztec Camera supported EC and the Attractions.

You will need Realplayer or similar to play the audio clip.

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Alex Turner tells Mojo more about Pete's work on the new Arctic Monkey's album

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Huh?

http://www.haliburtonecho.ca/2013/08/26 ... l-shook-up

"Diana Krall," left, thinks her audition for Red Umbrella Inn talent scout Kirk Neilson is impressing, as "Elvis Costello" at back can't hold back his disdain. DARREN LUM/HALIBURTON ECHO/QMI AGENCY
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Ye gods.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

This is a bit of a stretch, but reading this brings me here:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bel ... -1.1439092

Something about the name "Gus"...

krm

Post by krm »

suitable again these days......
http://youtu.be/_qofTunet3g?t=3m47s
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

I have just heard the new album from The Strypes - a very young band from Cavan, Ireland. You will like it if you like Dr Feelgood, Nine Below Zero etc. The reason for this post is that the album contains a version of Nick Lowe's Heart of the City, which will be familiar to most on hear, particularly as EC has performed in recent years as part of the Spinning Songbook opening salvol!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Record Collector
, Oct. 13

jardine

Post by jardine »

I'm probably showing my age again, but is the Imposter twitter thing supposed to make sense, or is it just the meeting of three roads outside of Rome?
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Mikeh wrote:I have just heard the new album from The Strypes - a very young band from Cavan, Ireland. You will like it if you like Dr Feelgood, Nine Below Zero etc. The reason for this post is that the album contains a version of Nick Lowe's Heart of the City, which will be familiar to most on hear, particularly as EC has performed in recent years as part of the Spinning Songbook opening salvol!

I could be wrong but did Elvis and The Strypes both play Heart Of The City at Glasto on the same day this year? They were very good at Glastonbury
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

There's an award winning media company in Liverpool - run by two massive Elvis fans - in fact the like him so much the called their enterprise after one of his obscurities : Little Atom Productions.

Details here http://littleatomproductions.com/home/

Colin Top Balcony
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

More , from Q (Nov), about Pete's role on the new Arctic Monkey's album -

Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Bet Pete loves that quote!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

An interview with Paul McCartney in the November issue of Mojo includes this:
So what were your intentions with New, or weren't there any?

I wanted to try lots of things, see what would come out of working with different people. But I never liked the idea that you made a record and it doesn't sit with modern records. With The Beatles you were always trying to sit with The Supremes, Phil Spector, the Isleys. But I needed to resist sounding like I was trying too hard to be contemporary. You know the Ibiza thing, if you're in a club and dancing, that thud-thud stuff works. But I've got to resist that as I'll have people like Elvis Costello calling me up going, "Fucking hell Paul, what are you doing?!" But in the '60s we were listening to Motown, which was modern, we were listening to James Brown, Stevie Wonder. And I don't want to be shy of using some modern devices because we weren't into all that in The Beatles — the moment the mellotron came out we just embraced it. "Yeah! We'll have a go at that." We were always trying to create different sounds which now are like traditional sounds. Tomorrow Never Knows, the drum sound, still works great.