Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis on new Loretta Lynn album , March 2016

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis tells us in his journal -
http://www.elviscostello.com/web/guest/ ... urce=27665

March/April '08

So, I left Miami for Nashville.

Straight from the plane, I visited John Carter Cash at his studio that backs on to his father's old writing cabin, which I visited while making "Almost Blue" in 1981. We recorded a couple of vocal harmony parts for the Loretta Lynn record that he is producing, including one for a song of mine.

This photo would appear to be from then -

http://www.johncartercash.com/Welcome/Welcome.html

http://www.johncartercash.com/Photos.htm

Elvis, Trey, Olivia and Amy at The Cabin

Trey Call
http://www.treycall.com/
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=12748319

http://www.myspace.com/cashcabinstudio
Last edited by johnfoyle on Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis/Loretta Lynn album , '08 ?

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 01118.html

(...)
The Coal Miner's Daughter isn't just touring; new music is under way. She has been recording for the past several months in Johnny Cash's studio, where she is creating an album that will feature many of her No. 1 hits and Top 5 hits, along with some brand-new songs. The album might be released by April. Although Lynn does not yet have a title for the CD, she says she thinks a play on "Here I Am Again" -- a 1972 album -- would be cute.
(...)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis/Loretta Lynn album , '08 ?

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090 ... /901090301

The Tennessean, TN

Jan. 9 '09

(extract)

Country Music Hall of Famer Loretta Lynn has been on the road and in the recording studio of late.

In addition to her touring schedule, she's been recording new songs with Elvis Costello, Todd Snider and others, hopefully for a 2009 release.

In the meantime, she's spending some time this weekend on the Grand Ole Opry, alongside others including Vince Gill and Jimmy Dickens.
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis/Loretta Lynn album , '09 ?

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/lor ... 9034.story

Loretta Lynn Busy With Two New Albums

Country legend Loretta Lynn is preparing two projects this year to follow up her 2004 crossover hit, "Van Lear Rose."

Lynn, 74, is working on an album of new material that she says could be ready by late spring. The album will be in her traditional country style but will deal with modern issues. "(A friend) told me: 'Loretta, don't quit writing, because if you do, no one in Nashville is writing songs,'" Lynn tells Billboard. "I write about what's happening today and how I feel."

The second project, an album of re-recorded versions of her No. 1 hits from the past four decades, is being produced by John Carter Cash and could hit stores this summer.

Lynn says the idea for that album came out of her live performances, at which she finds crowds clamoring for old favorites, particularly "Dear Uncle Sam." Lynn released that anti-Vietnam War song ("I hate war," she said) in 1966, and it became her first self-penned track to make the top 10. But, she says, it has gained new resonance with anti-war crowds today.

"I want to make sure that they get all the old No. 1 hits over the years," she says. "They holler for them."

Lynn's children and grandchildren usually join her on stage for live performances these days, and have also been in the studio to help with the album. John Carter Cash, the only child of Johnny Cash and June Carter and a country music singer and songwriter himself, is easy to work with because Lynn and his father were close.

"Van Lear Rose" was produced by the White Stripes Jack White, who also contributed vocals and guitars. The two stay in touch, but Lynn says she doesn't get to see him very often. But she says she plans to call him soon "see what the devil he's up to."
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.oregonlive.com/music/index.s ... _born.html

(...)
He (= Tod Snider) can count as friends the likes of Kris Kristofferson, John Prine, Robert Earl Keen and Jack Ingram. He's co-written with Loretta Lynn, including a song on her upcoming record in which she gets vocal assistance from Elvis Costello. When Kix Brooks of the recently broken up Brooks & Dunn wanted to start work on a solo record, he called Snider to do some co-writing.
(...)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase ... d%3A879014

SEPTEMBER 25, 2009

ACL Music Fest Friday Interviews
BY JIM CALIGIURI

Todd Snider's been slugging it out in the singer-songwriter ghetto for nearly 20 years, but he's finally garnering the recognition he's long deserved. Even The New York Times weighed in on his new Don Was-produced album, The Excitement Plan (Yep Roc), which features "Don't Tempt Me," a duet co-written and performed with country music royalty Loretta Lynn.

"Loretta's daughter is married to someone who's been a friend of mine for a long time," the onetime Central Texan explains from his Nashville home. "He introduced my music into their house maybe six or seven years ago. This year he said she was getting ready to make a record. He called me and said, 'They asked who she wanted to co-write with and she said your name.'

"We wrote that song, and then about a month later, I went out to her house and we wrote two more. One is going to be on her new album, 'She's Got Everything It Takes to Take Everything You've Got.' She sings it with Elvis Costello."

Like his heroes John Prine and Kris Kristofferson, Snider doesn't preach. He shares stories that leave listeners to decide for themselves.

"There was a time when I wanted to have a message and say important things, but I never did," Snider cracks. "I don't believe anything. There's shit I know and stuff that I don't know. I'm certain that music is not going to change the world, but that doesn't stop me from singing out about the way I hope the world could be. That's fun to do on a Saturday night."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.lorettalynn.com/50/?p=1638

LORETTA LYNN’S LIFE, LINE

In new book, she tells music’s story

By James Reed | Globe Staff

By the time the chorus comes around, you can usually tell if it’s a Loretta Lynn song. The iconic country singer is famous for threatening to send a rival to “Fist City” if she didn’t “detour around my town.” To another would-be homewrecker, she once boasted, “You ain’t woman enough to take my man.” Lynn has also sung about social issues we’re debating to this day, from birth control (“The Pill”) to the results of not taking it (“One’s on the Way”).

This is clear: Loretta Lynn, who’s still a spitfire at 76, suffers no fools.

Born a coal miner’s daughter, “in a cabin on a hill in Butcher Holler,” as her signature song goes, Lynn has just written a new book. “Honky Tonk Girl: My Life in Lyrics” is an overdue salute to Lynn’s 50-plus years of songwriting, with a reverent foreword by Elvis Costello.

Set for release on Tuesday, the book presents Lynn’s lyrics alongside her anecdotes about writing them. It’s also sprinkled with passages about musicians who have inspired her — from Kitty Wells to Jack White, who produced Lynn’s Grammy-winning 2004 album, “Van Lear Rose” — as well as personal photos of Lynn throughout the years and handwritten lyrics scrawled on hotel stationery.

On the phone from her home in Tennessee, Lynn recently reflected on the art of writing from the heart and why it was so important to her career, and sang the praises of a celebrated songwriter she hopes to meet one day: Bob Dylan.

(extract)

Q. And you’re also working with Elvis Costello?

A. Yes. He’s funny. He was telling somebody how he took his computer out and was writing on his laptop. And there was Loretta sitting with a pencil in her hand and a piece of paper. So that was our writing session. (Laughs.)

http://www.amazon.com/Honky-Tonk-Girl-L ... =8-2-fkmr0
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis writes foreword for Loretta Lynn book

Post by johnfoyle »

http://countdownkid.wordpress.com/2013/ ... the-chill/

Elvis Costello Countdown #88: “I Felt The Chill”
Posted: January 24, 2013 |

Author: countdownkid

Spoiler Alert: “I Felt The Chill” is the only song from Secret, Profane, & Sugarcane that will grace this countdown. I feel like this is album where Elvis got caught in between genres a little bit. He had the Americana setting down pat with the superb group of session pros he assembled for the project. The problem is that many of the songs were a bit unwieldy and strained against the structure of the music. It’s not to say it’s a bad album; I don’t think E.C. is capable of that. I just feel it was a bit of a missed opportunity and lacked songs that really grabbed you.

“I Felt The Chill” does not have those problems. It is definitely the most focused song on the album, both in terms of the pure country vibes of the music and in terms of the rigor of the lyrics and arrangement, which keeps things from wandering too far. As a result, you’ve got a song that’s stays right in front of you and doesn’t keep getting away.

Loretta Lynn gets co-writing credit on the song; I don’t know how the collaboration worked but she clearly brought out the best in Elvis. It’s a classic tale about betrayal and the resulting guilt in a relationship. The weather metaphor that Costello uses throughout, the way an ominous chill precedes actual cold weather, calls to mind the way that nagging, gut feelings often precede the eventual destruction of a relationship.

None of the participants in this song have been faithful, and none seem to be happy with the choices they have made. As a result, it’s an endless cycle of people hurting each other and hurting themselves because of an inner restlessness that can’t ever be quelled. “I Felt The Chill” may have been ignored by those disappointed with the album which contained it, but, trust me, it’s good enough to stand out on any Costello release.
And No Coffee Table

Re: Elvis writes foreword for Loretta Lynn book

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 72721.html
Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment, has inked an historic multi-album deal with American music legend Loretta Lynn. The new agreement covers several albums of new material, produced by Patsy L Russell and John Carter Cash, recorded over the past seven years at the Cash Cabin Studio in Hendersonville, Tennessee.

The first title in Legacy's new Loretta Lynn album series is slated for release in 2015 and will be the artist's first collection of new recordings since Van Lear Rose, her 2004 collaboration with Jack White, took home a pair of Grammys including Best Country Album of the Year.

Since 2007, Loretta Lynn, her daughter Patsy L Russell and John Carter Cash have been working together at the Cash Cabin Studio on a project that travels back and explores Loretta's musical history, from the Appalachian folk songs and gospel music she learned as a child, to new interpretations of her classic hits and country standards, to songs newly-written for the project. Drawing inspiration from personal memories and deep connections to American music, Lynn's new recordings capture the essence of these songs in intimate new performances, the way they might've sounded growing up in the 1930's and 40's in Butchers Hollow, Kentucky.
EC in 2008 (from the first post in this thread):
So, I left Miami for Nashville.

Straight from the plane, I visited John Carter Cash at his studio that backs on to his father's old writing cabin, which I visited while making "Almost Blue" in 1981. We recorded a couple of vocal harmony parts for the Loretta Lynn record that he is producing, including one for a song of mine.
And No Coffee Table

Re: Elvis on new Loretta Lynn album in 2015?

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 75729.html

American Music Icon Loretta Lynn Revisits Her Musical Roots On First New Studio Album In Over Ten Years
'Full Circle' To Be Released March 4, 2016 On Legacy Recordings

NEW YORK, Nov. 10, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Legacy Recordings will release FULL CIRCLE, the first new studio album in over ten years from American music icon Loretta Lynn, on March 4, 2016. Produced by Patsy Lynn Russell and John Carter Cash, and recorded at the Cash Cabin Studio in Hendersonville, Tennessee, FULL CIRCLE takes listeners on a journey through Loretta's musical story, from the Appalachian folk songs and gospel music she learned as a child, to new interpretations of her classic hits and country standards, to songs newly-written for the project. Drawing inspiration from personal memories and deep connections to American music, Lynn's 13 new recordings capture the essence of these songs in intimate new performances. FULL CIRCLE is available for pre-order now at Amazon Music: http://smarturl.it/ll_fc_amzncd.

FULL CIRCLE is Loretta's first album of new recordings since Van Lear Rose, her 2004 collaboration with Jack White, which took home a pair of Grammys including Best Country Album of the Year. It is also volume one of the Cash Cabin Recordings, a series of new album projects imagined and created at the Cash Cabin Studio in Hendersonville, Tennessee.

Highlights from FULL CIRCLE include "Lay Me Down," a duet with Willie Nelson; "Everything It Takes," featuring guest vocals from Elvis Costello; "Whispering Sea," a new version of the first song Loretta ever wrote; and soulful new renditions of some of Lynn's classic tunes, including rousing renditions of "Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven" and "Fist City." The album also includes traditional Appalachian songs from Loretta's childhood such as "Black Jack David" and "I Never Will Marry." At 83 years old, Lynn's voice sounds as powerful as ever, and this new material only adds to her legend as a performer.

Fans will also have an opportunity to watch a new documentary about Loretta's remarkable life and career when American Masters — Loretta Lynn: Still a Mountain Girl premieres nationwide Friday, March 4, 2016, 9:00-11:00 p.m. on PBS (check local listings). The film will explore the country legend's hard-fought road to stardom. From her Appalachian roots to the Oscar-winning biopic of her life, "Coal Miner's Daughter," Lynn struggled to balance family and her music career and is still going strong over 50 years later.

Loretta Lynn has long been established as the undisputed Queen of Country Music, with more than 50 years of recording and touring to her name. A self-taught guitarist and songwriter, Lynn was one of the most distinctive performers in Nashville in the 1960s and 1970s. She shook up Nashville by writing her own songs, many of which tackled boundary-pushing topics drawn from her own life experiences as a wife and mother. "Coal Miner's Daughter," "Fist City" and "Don't Come Home A' Drinkin' (With Lovin' on Your Mind)" are just three of 16 country No. 1 singles.

Lynn is also one of the most awarded musicians of all time. She has been inducted into more music Halls of Fame than any female recording artist, including The Country Music Hall of Fame and the Songwriters Hall of Fame, and was the first woman to be named the Country Music Association's Entertainer of the Year in 1972. Lynn received Kennedy Center Honors in 2003 and a Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2013. She has won four Grammy Awards (including a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 2010) and sold more than 45 million records worldwide.

'FULL CIRCLE' TRACK LISTING
Whispering Sea (Introduction)
Whispering Sea
Secret Love
Who's Gonna Miss Me?
Black Jack David
Everybody Wants To Go To Heaven
Always On My Mind
Wine Into Water
In The Pines
Band Of Gold
Fist City
I Never Will Marry
Everything It Takes (featuring Elvis Costello)
Lay Me Down (featuring Willie Nelson)
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Thanks - I shall buy the EC track.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Uncut, March 2016

charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... s-20160114

Thanks for the earlier updates-links to audio etc.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis on new Loretta Lynn album , March 2016

Post by johnfoyle »

cwr

Post by cwr »

You also sing "Everything It Takes" with Elvis Costello on Full Circle. How did you meet?
Elvis and I met each other about four or five years ago, and we sat down in the studio to write a song. I had a piece of paper and a pencil, and he had a computer. So we looked at one another like, "Hmm, what's going to come out of this?" He was laughing about it, but I didn't think it was funny because that's the way I write all my songs. Not on a computer. I don't know how to turn one on, let alone write on one, and I don't care if I do or not. When I write a song, I don't want to be on a computer, I like to be alone. But it ended up working good.

Did you record together?
No. I wasn't there when he did his part. The first time I heard him sing was on the record. I couldn't believe it. We did a good job.

"Everything It Takes" is not the song you wrote with him, though. What inspired the lyrics for that song?
Oh, "She's got everything it takes to take everything you've got." I just thought that line would make a good song. It's more for a woman, a woman song.
We know of EC working with an iPad [the vocal for "The Puppet Has Cut His Strings"] and an iPhone [in the Mystery Dance doc, recording the Jesse Winchester cover "Quiet About It"], right?

I wonder what the "computer" was that he brought to write with Loretta Lynn? This would have been prior to Momofuku, I wonder what kind of tech Costello was using back then.

It's kind of a marvel to me that Costello uses these modern devices and yet it hasn't led to him taking advantage of them to record and release stuff whenever he wants to in his post-record label days. I would get it if he was shunning these modern gadgets entirely, but it seems strange that he has one foot in the 21st Century tech but still seems entirely reluctant to take that next step of using it to actually release music out into the world...
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

What do you mean, cwr? He has music on iTunes. He has an online thing going on. Why invest anymore into it? Seems like a waste of time vs revenue accrued.
cwr

Post by cwr »

What do you mean, cwr? He has music on iTunes. He has an online thing going on. Why invest anymore into it? Seems like a waste of time vs revenue accrued.
Genuinely can't tell if you're being sarcastic!

I guess I'm just surprised that he hasn't ever tried taking advantage of the internet as a way to release music, at least not in any major way. I wouldn't have thought that the idea of suddenly "dropping" an album with no notice would be a thing that Beyonce would do before Costello, given his history of finding playful ways of putting music out. The couple of instances I *can* think of are weird, like the failed "members" section of his website where the only exclusive content was streams of his 30:10 low-fi recordings, or kind of limited in their appeal, like his few iTunes sessions, none of which really contained anything beyond live-in-the-studio re-recordings.

It's not that I'm surprised by him not doing this-- he's been kind of anti-Internet in his attitude since the mid-90s-- it's more that I'm surprised that he's remained that way while also apparently being tech-savvy in his approach to recording music. I would've thought that one aspect of the digital culture would've maybe rubbed off a little on the other.

I think if EC recorded a voice & guitar acoustic album (the kind he's attempted but never completed, as he always ends up adding other musicians to the mix when he's thought about doing this) of new songs and suddenly made it available for sale online, it'd probably do better than a few of his more recent physical releases, and with less overhead. At least, I think it's possible that something like this might not be a waste of time to at least TRY...
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

I have no direct link to Mr. Costello's thoughts but I share a comparable age-60 to his 61- and I think a real love for the album as an art form. I have had the hardest time warming up to cds and more importantly mp3 files. I do not download songs or 'albums' as I find that medium cold. I have always loved album covers, liner notes, printed lyrics, photos, color and graphics and the tactile feel of an album jacket or inner sleeve. You can call me a Luddite, and I will not cringe, when it comes to audio. I am not stupid enough to project my feelings on Mr. Costello but in my heart I want to think he shares the same distaste with this new technology. Unfortunately, he is trapped at a cross road time for recording and he has been economically impacted by a new grouping of generations that have no real investiture with the album or old delivery systems and who feel an entitlement to 'free' access. I have to believe that is an uncomfortable place to exist as a distinguished songwriter of his quality. If he is at all like me, he must be betwixt and between himself, with this sea change in the music industry. I hope you get what you want. I am just not certain I want it in that manner.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
cwr

Post by cwr »

Oh yeah, I totally get that he would prefer to just be recording analog and putting it out on vinyl-- he's made his preference clear and I think it's a valid one. But the fact that we know he's actively using modern gadgets to record demos and even finished songs (I'd harbor a guess that his cover of Dylan's License To Kill was recorded on some kind of mobile device, from the sound of it) is what leaves me slightly surprised that he hasn't been tempted to record an album and quietly (or loudly) release it the same day, or some other such trick. It feels like the kind of thing he used to revel in back in the day.

Maybe he will, without warning. I could imagine him getting pissed off and writing 10 songs about Donald Trump and releasing them all the same day. (That would probably get more attention and sell more copies than his last 3 records combined.)
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

cwr wrote:
Genuinely can't tell if you're being sarcastic!

I guess I'm just surprised that he hasn't ever tried taking advantage of the internet as a way to release music, at least not in any major way. I wouldn't have thought that the idea of suddenly "dropping" an album with no notice would be a thing that Beyonce would do before Costello, given his history of finding playful ways of putting music out. The couple of instances I *can* think of are weird, like the failed "members" section of his website where the only exclusive content was streams of his 30:10 low-fi recordings, or kind of limited in their appeal, like his few iTunes sessions, none of which really contained anything beyond live-in-the-studio re-recordings.

It's not that I'm surprised by him not doing this-- he's been kind of anti-Internet in his attitude since the mid-90s-- it's more that I'm surprised that he's remained that way while also apparently being tech-savvy in his approach to recording music. I would've thought that one aspect of the digital culture would've maybe rubbed off a little on the other.

I think if EC recorded a voice & guitar acoustic album (the kind he's attempted but never completed, as he always ends up adding other musicians to the mix when he's thought about doing this) of new songs and suddenly made it available for sale online, it'd probably do better than a few of his more recent physical releases, and with less overhead. At least, I think it's possible that something like this might not be a waste of time to at least TRY...
Technology is just a tool to get the job done quickly/easily for everyone, including artists, I would think. Also, if there was any real money in releasing music direct to fans via the Internet more artists would be doing it, right? There is no legit music platform, other than distribution channels that take money off the top or don't pay at all! The time, effort, $ to do it solo doesn't pay out, I would think. But, what do I know (absolutely nothing!). As you, I would be happy to see some unreleased EC gems pushed out to fans somehow - exclusively. That would be cool. Whatever. I'm just happy he is still touring around. Later. MOJO
cwr

Post by cwr »

Yeah, I don't know how the 2016 music business works, although I can't imagine it would be less profitable than releasing DETOUR in cinemas and on blu-ray/DVD, right?
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

That's a distribution channel again, backed by someone else's coin. Has no impact on EC and his management, I would think. Don't know, don't care, really. Don't care about much these days... Just bring on the music. Searching for Bruce GA ticket right now as I write this. Wish me luck. Later
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

And No Coffee Table

From Todd Snider, who co-wrote "Everything It Takes" with Loretta Lynn:

i knew loretta thru her daughter peggy.
she is married to one of my oldest and closest friends mark marchetti
and because of them loretta knew of me.

she asked if i wanted to try to write a song
we sat at her office and wrote a song called
"dont tempt me"
and i just remember that we were laughing the whole time
and that i felt like i'd really made a friend.

then she asked me out to the house to write another song.
this time we went to her writing cabin and we were playing guitars
and talking about what we could sing about.
she said "go look in that refrigerator todd"
so i did, and when i opened it
a bunch of yellow legal pads with her words written all over them, fell out onto the floor.
the refrigerator was stuffed completely full of bits of lyrics by loretta lynn
that went back to the sixties.
she said smoke one of your doobies
and go thru those.
see if anything jumps out at you.

i sat there on the floor going thru them.
i couldn't believe what i was seeing.
i quickly found a lyric that said
"i love you more than she ever will
but the only way she can get a man is steal.
i don't know if i should tell you this or not
but she's got everything it takes to take everything you've got."

and i said "loretta, my god, what is this?"
and she said "oh yeah i remember that little bitch"
she asked me to sing it
knowing i'd only seen the lyrics
so i just sang a melody without thinking
and she said that was it.

then she made up the rest
as if "we" were doing it.
i couldn't keep my mouth shut
but not cuz i was talking.
she said "always keep the poetry out"
she said they ruined lyrics.
swoon...
i'll never forget that.

she wanted to know about elvis costello
because she was working with him
and she thought he wanted to use too many chords.

she mentioned the scruffy kid from Minnesota
who got caught out with his name.
she said he had some songs she admired
and that he seemed to still be doing really good.
i said "bob dylan?"
and she said yes.
she said he was good at lyrics.

when she recorded the song i wrote with her
she did it in the cabin johnny cash passed away in.
john carter told me that she would park her bus by the cabin
and stay over night just below his bedroom window.
one night at three a.m.
he woke to the sound of some old country music
and looked out his window to see
loretta lynn
spinning barefoot in the grass
like a teenager.
she was 80.
the next day he asked her what she was doing
and she said
"i was dancing with your dad"

he said the next night she did it again.

i have to admit i had a genuine crush on her.
i loved her so much.
she was so funny...
i would laugh til i was coughing
she was magic.

my buddy mark told me
that earlier in the day on tuesday
loretta said,
"i'm going to heaven tonight."