Elvis/Imps+ ,' free show' , El Rey , LA May 28 '08

Post by johnfoyle »

From listserv-

> Hearing there may be a show in L.A. tonight. I don't have any details
yet.

An email from someone else says it's a free, unannounced show at the
El Rey at midnight.

http://www.theelrey.com/
Last edited by johnfoyle on Thu May 29, 2008 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis doing free show in LA TONIGHT (May 28) ?! ?!

Post by sweetest punch »

http://laist.com/2008/05/28/tonight_this_we_7.php

On the rumor side of things, it is said that Elvis Costello and the Imposters are playing at El Rey for an unannounced late-night show after their Hollywood Bowl performance with The Police. Somewhere on the radio, some station might announce it around 7:00 p.m. (Indie 103.1 maybe?)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

good for all you west coasters!! get your asses there and enjoy. then get back here tomorrow with the recap. best, ba
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

EC just announced the show in a phone interview on Indie 103.1 FM. He mentioned that the Imposters will be joined by Johnathan Rice, Jonathan Wilson, and Tennessee Thomas.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

awesome...i hope you'll be there ANCT!!!!! enjoy bro.
And No Coffee Table

Setlist:

01. I Hope You're Happy Now
02. Clown Strike
03. Either Side Of The Same Town
04. Everyday I Write The Book
05. Spooky Girlfriend
06. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
07. Flutter & Wow
08. Harry Worth
09. Motel Matches
10. Pardon Me, Madam, My Name Is Eve
11. Brilliant Mistake - including Tangled Up In Blue
12. My Three Sons
13. New Lace Sleeves
14. Green Shirt
15. American Gangster Time
16. Beyond Belief
17. The Imposter
Encore 1
18. Stella Hurt
19. Drum & Bone
20. Song With Rose
21. No Hiding Place - including And Your Bird Can Sing
22. Turpentine
23. Mr. Feathers
24. Mystery Train
25. Waiting For The End Of The World - including Gloria
26. Go Away
27. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - including The Kids Are Alright
28. Happy Birthday To You - Elvis leads the crowd in honor of Johnathan Rice

EC & the Imposters on 1-17
plus Tennessee Thomas on 18-27
plus "Farmer" Dave Scher, Jonathan Wilson & Johnathan Rice on 19-27

I may have more to say later. Or not.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Incredible setlist, including many songs not yet played live since the release of MF!! You lucky goons!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Yeah, nice setlist.

Gotta get me one of them "free shows" sometime. :D
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Wow!!!

What I have to say rhymes with "Clucking Bell" :lol:

AND FOR FREE!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
krm

Post by krm »

hmmmm, pay loads of $$$$ to get 45min, or go there for free and have the complete works. If I an´t have both, I would choose the latter.....
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

No way. Bitchin' set list. Where is the justice in this world?! Maybe he will do a free show in SF - GAMH... MOR... Fillmore? That would be totally cool.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis/Imps+ ,' free show' , El Rey , LA May 28 '08

Post by johnfoyle »

http://blogs.laweekly.com/play/live-in- ... ello-goes/

Elvis Costello and the Imposters,
El Rey, 5/28
By Randall Roberts
Photos by Timothy Norris

Elvis Costello performed a jumbo show at the Hollywood Bowl with the Police earlier on Wednesday night, but apparently he was itching for more, because he and his Imposters headed up La Brea to the El Rey on Wilshire for a late, late show.

Looking solid and well-fed, the Other King, the man who has written some of western culture's bitterest love songs, wore all black, his fully-receded hairline giving way to a shock of erect black hair pointing up to the heavens.

Costello and the Imposters moved from old to new, but he leaned toward his early 1980s output, which was a wonderful surprise: "I Hope You're Happy Now," "Everyday I Write the Book," "King of America," "New Lace Sleeves," and, joy of joys, the greatest sordid hotel love song ever written, "Motel Matches."

Longtime drummer Pete Thomas was having a blast with Costello, singing along with his boss, going tribal, popping the snare four times fast over and over again during the great version of "Green Shirt."

Touring in support of his new album Momofuko, Costello tore through some new ones, too, which were sharp and bitter Costello archetypes. Costello reappeared for a super long encore, and was joined by Jonathan Rice and Jonathan Wilson on guitars, and Father Dave on pedal steel.

The highlight? Elvis doing Elvis' "Mystery Train." Jenny Lewis was a rumored guest, but she couldn't make it. The night ended at around two, when Costello and the crowd sang "Happy Birthday" to Rice, whose birthday was Tuesday.

woz

Post by woz »

I must say that this was an incredible evening. First the Bowl show then the El Rey. Quite the experience.

A few thoughts, impressions, etc.

First, thank you PH for getting me up close.

Second, for what it’s worth, there was a guy video taping the show and afterwards I asked who he was taping it for and he responded “Elvis’ website.” I asked if it was the new one and he said yes. Who knows what will happen to this video, but there is one out there.

Third, it was amazing how well the new and old songs meshed together.

Fourth and this really struck me as a touching moment that unless one was watching closely you probably missed it. Tennessee Thomas came on and the first song she played on was Stella Hurt. Pete looked really proud to have his daughter on the drums next to him and was smiling as they began the song. Tennessee looked a little stiff (I wouldn’t say nervous but just a little stiff) and then about 30 second into the song she looked at her dad, they smiled at each other and a huge sigh of relief came over her and from that moment on she was terrific. I think they both got a charge out of playing together on stage.

Anyway, it was a great (if late) evening all around.

P.S. A copy of the setlist I got after the show from one of the stagehands is attached.
Attachments
El Rey Setlist
El Rey Setlist
EC El Rey Setlist.jpg (25.76 KiB) Viewed 21663 times
And No Coffee Table

I know that opening acts on big tours are sometimes restricted from headlining their own shows in the same markets, so it could be that making it free was a way around that.

I was concerned that this approach might make it impossible to get in without arriving ridiculously early, which I wouldn't have been able to do last night even if I wanted to. Fortunately, the place was only about a third full when I showed up at 10, and it looked like people were still coming in after 11.

Despite the "midnight show" billing, Elvis and the Imposters actually took the stage at 11:45. I had enjoyed their set opening for The Police the night before, but it was much too short. The two-hour secret show seemed more like the real deal, highlighted by "Green Shirt," "Mr. Feathers," and "Go Away." (That last song has slowly grown into being my favorite on Momofuku.)

Tennessee Thomas, "Farmer" Dave Scher, Johnathan "with an H" Rice, and Jonathan "without an H" Wilson turned the band into an octet for the encores. With Scher and Rice placed in front of Steve and Davey and my having a better view of Tennessee than Pete, it looked a bit like Elvis had replaced the band with a younger model.

Elvis asked if anyone had been at the Hollywood Bowl earlier in the evening. He seemed amused that a lot of the people who said they had were up front, since that meant they probably didn't stay for The Police.

I had been puzzled by those who thought "Mr. Feathers" sounded like "God's Comic" -- until last night when he played the opening notes of the former and I thought it was the latter. Elvis said the last time they played "Mr. Feathers" they were joining by a woman on the musical saw, while tonight they would be sawing a woman in half.

The night ended with Elvis leading the crowd in singing "Happy Birthday" to Johnathan Rice, whose birthday was actually Tuesday. He said Jenny Lewis had asked him to do that. (She wasn't there because Rilo Kiley is on tour.)
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

And all for free.

Clucking bell indeed.
And No Coffee Table

I'm not sure why they even bothered with this, but they handed you a ticket as you entered.

Maybe the idea is to show it to your friends. "See? It says $0.00!"
migdd

Post by migdd »

I'm green with envy! What a cool thing! Thanks for the reports, ANCT and woz!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://soundcheck.freedomblogging.com/2 ... he-el-rey/

Elvis Costello throws a surprise party at the El Rey

May 29th, 2008, 12:35 pm · posted by Ben Wener

I came away from Elvis Costello’s superb but too-brief warm-up set for the Police Tuesday night at the Hollywood Bowl wondering when we might get a full-blown headlining turn to support his strong new album Momofuku. A night at the Greek, for instance, seems long overdue. At the very least, another, songbook-surveying Wiltern appearance would seem in order.

Then I woke up Wednesday morning to find I’d been invited to just the show I wanted to see: Costello and the Imposters (“With Friends,” as the marquee noted) at the El Rey. Show time: 11:45 p.m.

If I raced across town fast enough after doing my duty at Kenny Chesney and LeAnn Rimes at Staples Center, I figured I might just make it. I wouldn’t get home till who-knows-when, of course — no telling what or for how long Costello might play under such last-minute circumstances. But knowing there’s nothing in the near-future planned from him I instantly decided I’d pay the price later. Opportunities like this don’t come along every day. So what if I won’t get to bed until almost 4 a.m.

Man, am I glad I made the effort …

Costello, in roaring form once more (and seemingly in the same black suit and bolo tie he wore at the Bowl), served up 27 songs in two hours in one of the finest performances I’ve seen him give in a quarter-century of keeping tabs. I heard “I Hope You’re Happy Now” and “Clown Strike” only from outside, while waiting in line with the other guest-listers and die-hards hoping for a miracle. Yet even from there I could tell he was clearly in great spirits, eager to deliver something special to a packed house brimming with friends of friends and celeb admirers (I spotted No Doubt’s Tony Kanal jockeying for position not long after the set started).

What resulted was both a terrific career overview in the first half, spanning all corners of his catalog, and what I’m sure will come to be a rare spotlight of Momofuku in the second half, with everyone who played on the record (save for Jenny Lewis, who’s on tour herself) taking part. Tennessee Thomas joined her workhorse Attractions dad Pete on drums. Lewis’ beau Johnathan Rice and Jonathan Wilson added guitar to Davey Faragher’s steady, melodic bass lines. “Farmer Dave” Scher’s pedal steel greatly complemented Steve Nieve’s array of keyboard flourishes.

You could tell here and there that Costello hasn’t quite committed every new lyric he’s penned to memory; he needed a reference sheet once or twice for “Drum & Bone,” for instance. But that’s easily forgiven, considering how this new batch of tunes instantly arrived, and how little they’ve probably been rehearsed. And still stormy new ones like “Turpentine” and “Go Away” and an improved “Pardon Me, Madam, My Name Is Eve” (a Loretta Lynn co-write) and “Song for Rose” (assisted by Rosanne Cash) and quirkier, moodier, Spike-ier fare like “Harry Worth” and “Mr. Feathers” — and, best of all, “Flutter and Wow,” one of his rarities, a great and tender love song — they all came across as if they’ve been in his repertoire since at least King of America.

As for the quality of the selections he pulled out that have been around for years, in many cases decades, well, this longtime devotee has no complaints. The rundown is pretty stunning: “Either Side of the Same Town” … another airing of “Everyday I Write the Book,” more soulful than the night before … a torrential “Spooky Girlfriend,” followed by an even more ripping run through “(I Don’t Want to Go to) Chelsea” … excellent renditions of “Motel Matches” and “New Lace Sleeves,” the latter seamlessly segueing into “Green Shirt” … an impassioned reading of “Brilliant Mistake,” with a peppier pace and a hint of Dylan’s “Tangled Up in Blue” in its coda … tremendous takes on “Beyond Belief” and “The Imposter” to close out the first half … a rollicking tear through the staple “Mystery Train” and then “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding” to call it a night at 2 a.m.

If I seem rather overcome, well, four hours of sleep after six hours of show will do that to you. Suffice to say, of the dozens of Costello encounters I’ve had over the years, this one instantly leaps into my Top 3.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://endhits.portlandmercury.com/2008 ... tion_1.php

How I Spent My Summer Vacation

Posted by Ezra Caraeff on Thu, May 29 at 10:28 AM

I’m still on vacation, but just thought I’d check in and give an update on my trip so far..... we bought way too much at Amoeba Records and, oh yeah, there was that super secret free Elvis Costello show I went to last night.

Well, not that “super secret,” since the concert was announced by Elvis about an hour before it started (while he was opening for The Police at the Hollywood Bowl), and word quickly spread. Yet it was pretty easy for us to stroll into the small (900 capacity) venue (El Rey Theater) and catch the epic set from Elvis, the Imposters, and Elvis’ bolo tie. Performing most everything from his latest album, Momofuku, Elvis and Co. also unleashed a slew of hits—”Everyday I Write the Book,” “(I Don’t Want to Go to) Chelsea,” etc.—along the way, and were joined by Jonathan Rice, plus some guitar player who we just referred to as “The Tallest Hippie.”

I’d write more, but I’m on vacation.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

My sis just called me very excited about having attended the show on Wednesday. A friend who had tickets for the Hollywood Bowl show with The Police told her about it and she was able to make it down to the El Rey. First time she'd seen Elvis in years and she was raving about it - very positive vibe.

She also mentioned that she spotted a couple of celebs in the audience, including Jan (Melora Hardin) and Pam (Jenna Fischer) from The Office (US version).
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

And No Coffee Table wrote:I'm not sure why they even bothered with this, but they handed you a ticket as you entered.

Maybe the idea is to show it to your friends. "See? It says $0.00!"

are you kidding??? that's AWESOME that they handed you a souvenir ticket! any chance you got an extra for me? surely i have something here to send your way. very glad you got to the show. looking forward to the boot! THANKS!!! peace, benny
And No Coffee Table

Hey, I appreciate the souvenir. I'm just surprised they offered it. Sorry, I didn't get any extras.

As for celebrity sightings, I heard that Mary-Louise Parker and Donald Sutherland were there, but I didn't see them myself.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

well, if anyone has an extra...i have SOMETHING you'd like or need! thanks, ba
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nme.com/news/elvis-costello/36962

Elvis Costello played a star-studded "secret" show at the El Rey Theatre in Los Angeles last night (May 28).

The veteran singer-songwriter performed a marathon set at the intimate venue following his opening stint for The Police at the Hollywood Bowl earlier in the evening.

Costello was joined on stage by Johnathan Rice as well as The Like's Tennessee Thomas, who played drums alongside her father -- Costello's long-time drummer Pete Thomas -- on several tracks including 'Peace Love And Understanding' and a cover of Elvis Presley's 'Mystery Train'.

Costello asked the audience who had seen him perform earlier in the evening, and several people cheered in response -- meaning they'd skipped out on The Police's performance to see Costello play for a second time.

The adoring crowd danced and sang along throughout the entire evening.

The evening ended with a multi-song encore, culminating with Costello and his band singing 'Happy Birthday' to Rice.

"The whole night was so much fun," Tennessee Thomas told NME.COM after the show. "We ate all these cupcakes for Johnathan Rice's birthday and my mum and all of my parents' friends were quite emotional. My friend said she thought it was cute and creepy how in sync with each other my dad and I were."
migdd

Post by migdd »

The listserv has had technical difficulties today; however, Nick was able to post this account of an amazing night:

Well last night was awesome. I wish everyone from the list could have been
there. When I got up yesterday morning planning to go to the Hollywood
Bowl I had no ideal about kind of day that was in store for me. I was
planning to go to the Bowl show with Japanese lister Ayako, but we both
decided to skip that show in favor of the Secret Show. All along we were
planning to go to Ameoba records first before getting in line, but imagine
our surprise when an announcement came over the speaker asking if there
were any Costello fans in the store. Elvis had supplied them with
wristbands getting us into the show and a autographed copy of the vinyl
record if we bought a copy of the CD. We were first to buy them and we
were set for the show. In line we had a chance to talk to Dave who was
with Elvis’s staff out of Vancouver. He told us that the show was being
filmed by Elvis for possible use on the web site. He didn’t know how just
yet but thought perhaps as a stream or a pay to view download. Either way
that would be great. He told us who the special guests were and that Jenny
could not be there. He also said REM was at the bowl show and was going to
come to this one also. (I did not see them and they did not appear on
stage as we had hoped). He also said there were plans to hopefully tour
after the Police gig with the Imposters and Friends.

We met up with Slo who recognized Ayako, and friends Dean and Patty. Of
course the show was very high energy. It was a surprise to hear Elvis
announce that Eddie and Coco had gotten married this week and did some
songs for them. The final song of the night was Happy Birthday and even
though it wasn’t for me it was still nice to hear it with Elvis since it
was also my birthday. Well if I think of more I will add it later.

Back to Lurkdom

Bill
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Great stuff - thanks all.

Now how about some UK shows?

And a free show at my local pub wouldn't go amiss either! Or even in my garden (as long as you don't tread on Mrs VG's flowers!)
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?