DVD: A Case for Song

Pretty self-explanatory
the_platypus

DVD: A Case for Song

Post by the_platypus »

Alright, so I finally got around to buying this. I have a hard time finding EC DVDs anywhere in Buenos Aires (and Momofuku is STILL nowhere to be found) so when I saw this sitting in the DVD stack at a local indie store, I knew I had to buy it, morbidly overpriced as it may have been.

Overall I gotta say I'm really glad I did. Elvis is in fine form throughout, but especially on the songs with the Brodskys. Great versions of a lot of All This Useless Beauty songs I had never heard live. "Pump it Up" is tough to get used to, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I have a couple questions though.

- Elvis sings different lyrics on the last verse of "Man Out of Time". Any idea what they are and where they are from? I liked them.

- Am I the only one who noticed EC launching into a seemingly-impromptu version of "Complicated Shadows" and directing it at Bruce Thomas right after Bruce almost ruined an otherwise brilliant version of "Man Out of Time" with that horrible, jumpy bass riff at the end?

- Any idea why "Accidents Will Happen" and "Watching the Detectives" were ommitted on the DVD reissue?

- Jesus Christ, what the hell is wrong with the audience?

- In general, what's your take on the performance?

Thanks!
johnfoyle

Re: DVD: A Case for Song

Post by johnfoyle »

This discussion elsewhere may help answer your questions -

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... g&start=50
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

Thanks, John. The "Man Out of Time" mystery continues, though.
The different lyrics are on the second verse, though, not the last. My bad.
These are the lyrics I could make out. Maybe one of you Costello connoiseurs will recognize them?

There's a tupenny happeny millionaire
Looking for a fourpenny one
And he's afraid and he's contemptuous
Of the public imagination

And his private (?) missed her train
He'll drag you down assuming
that you could stoop to think like him
Well let his vanity consume him
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

I've always thought that EC was just improvising a new verse, or at least updating it to reflect events circa 1996 as opposed to 1982. Either way, I like it – not more than the original verse, but it's still a nice change!
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

I have not seen A Case for Song for a while, but I remember that when EC came on, he gave Bruce a matey hand on the shoulder. Maybe it was harder than it looked!
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Does this DVD differ in any way from the earlier release (apart from the cover) ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elvis-Costello- ... 188&sr=1-7

If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
scamp

Post by scamp »

The back has the same song list as the one I have. It does not list Accidents Will Happen or WTD which is on the VHS. I have the (earlier) DVD but the audio is messed up on Shipbuilding. Does anyone else have the same issue?
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

the_platypus wrote:Am I the only one who noticed EC launching into a seemingly-impromptu version of "Complicated Shadows" and directing it at Bruce Thomas right after Bruce almost ruined an otherwise brilliant version of "Man Out of Time" with that horrible, jumpy bass riff at the end?
A pity, because on the whole Bruce is on form throughout the performance. Absolutely storming version of 'You Bowed Down', from everyone involved - as it ends you can almost hear them all thinking 'yup, nailed that one'.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Just got round to seeing the DVD. It was a surprise to see the songs that were omitted from the original TV broadcast and VHS release for the very first time. (Temptation, I Almost Had A Weakness, Almost Blue, Shipbuilding, Man Out Of Time, and It's Time)

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... e_For_Song

Some completely different arrangements. Virtually a comedic recital of I Almost Had A Weakness. The changed verse on Man Out Of Time referred to above, which to me sound like another dig at Bruce. Finally a stripped down version of It's Time that ends with a manic Elvis going off on his own tangent while the band wonders where the thing is going :) Well that's how it looked to me.

Most bizarre of all is the newly arranged Shipbuilding, with the middle section featuring some sort of free form atonal improvised orchestral stabs. I wonder if this is some sort of "in joke" as it sounds more like The Mothers of Invention than The Attractions :shock:

If you've never heard it, you should check it out, chances are you'll never hear it that way again :D

Fortunately the 2 songs omitted from the DVD are available on youtube making a complete performance.

Accidents Will Happen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLCj95iIgzg

Watching The Detectives
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YqvAD5Ycj8
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

I bought the CD version of the show the other week from Amazon. (On Stage)

I imagine a few on here already have it. I had never seen this release before. Is it a bootleg?

The sound is probably better than than the spinning songbook release and the sleeve looks authentic enough.
ullissesmachado

Post by ullissesmachado »

Could you seed it for me? Contact me: +5579996625904
facebook.com/ullissesmachado
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Please, no posts about illegal downloading!!
We had problems with this in the past!
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.