EC to release Secret, Profane and Sugarcane

Pretty self-explanatory
wardo68

Re: EC to release his next album in Code?

Post by wardo68 »

migdd wrote:Billboard.com has posted more details, some erroneous (see bold) and has confirmed the tracklist
I can't think of a time when Billboard's go-to Elvis correspondent hasn't posted a news item rife with spelling, grammatical or factual errors. It's like he's so excited to share the news he stumbles over himself to get it live.

Still, I'm looking forward to June 2. Even if I don't buy the Neil Young Archives.
nord

Re: EC to release Secret, Profane and Sugarcane

Post by nord »

A double LP vinyl with bonus tracks and a great looking album cover. I like it. Let's hope the music is good also.

I hope they have found another manufacturer for this vinyl edition. The last US-made one, Momofuku, was very crudely made. Maybe try Germany this time?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This blog has a nice photoshop variation on this promo photo -

http://blogs.nashvillescene.com/nashvil ... with_t.php

Beginning June 2, 'Secret, Profane & Sugarcane' will be available at participating Starbucks company-operated locations in the U.S. and Canada...
migdd

Post by migdd »

Amazingly, CMT reports that Elvis is releasing a very similar album on the very same date. Man is he prolific! 8)

http://www.cmt.com/news/news-in-brief/1 ... cane.jhtml

Elvis Costello will release a new, roots-oriented album titled Sugarcane on June 2 on Hear Music. Emmylou Harris offers harmony on one track, and Loretta Lynn co-wrote one of the songs, "I Felt the Chill," with Costello. His band for the album, the Sugarcanes, includes Mike Compton (mandolin), Dennis Crouch (bass), Jerry Douglas (Dobro), Stuart Duncan (fiddle) and Jeff Taylor (accordion). Costello has also planned a limited tour with the Sugarcanes, with select dates in June and August. The album was produced by T Bone Burnett and recorded in three days in Nashville.
migdd

Post by migdd »

There is a rumor 8) going 'round on listserv that part or all of the new album will be played on Friday, 3/27 at 5pm (central time) here:

http://www.radiofreenashville.org

Many thanks to dweil and Pop Top!
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Hello board.

I have just found out that the tracklist contains some of The Secret Songs. Even great ones as She Handed Me a Mirror and Red Cotton. Still a shame that He Has Forgotten me Completely and The Famous Artificial Bird are left out.

Can't wait though to hear the studio versions even if the tracklist seems like a strange bag of rock and opera (How deep is the red).
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Blimey, Elvis is looking like Rhett Butler in this publicity photo. Wonder if he's gonna stick with the look for the whole tour?! Glad he's got rid of the patchy stubble and hat - all we need now is for him to get rid of the 'tache!
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Hi

Does anyone know :

Why Doc Watson isn't on the new album, it sounded great at the Drums and Base charity do?

What plans, if any, there are to release in UK?

Colin
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

I don't know, but the 'stache has got to go. Of all the strange Elvis fashion statements, what is the worst?
1. the beard (Mighty Like a Rose) - reminds me of Joaquin Phoenix recent gag stunt
2. the scarves (reminds me of the Howells on Gilligans Island)
3. or the new 'stache? cheesy southern gentlemen persona?
cwr

Post by cwr »

I miss The Beard. It was a gutsy move, and I think it was a hell of a lot better look for him than the 10+ years of Various Hats.

I think the worst look he's had was when he got that really short buzz cut in the late 90s. It was a look that seemed to make him look 10 or 15 years older, and not in a good way. Personally, I think the look in that photo is pretty awesome-- very much Dylan circa Love & Theft, which is not a bad way to go.

I just wish that he'd make a commitment to either facial hair or no facial hair. It seems like he's spent a great deal of time just kind of looking "slightly unshaven." I'm not saying he needs to grow the full MLAR Beard again, but the beard he had briefly in the mid-80s was pretty decent, and I think it would suit him better at his present age...
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

It looks like the kind of 'tache that a young person grows to try to make themselves look older.

However given that the picture is taken from a long way away, can we be sure that there is not an errant caterpillar crawling across our hero's top lip?

And as far as bad looks go, has everybody forgotten about Elvis without his glasses in the Only Flame 2 video? Scary :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Best EC look - no hat, no facial hair at all, no scarves, no sunglasses indoors - but specs a necessity, of course.

I think he might have been using the stubble to cover the double chin, but there's no need - he looks great for a man in his fifties! No worries if he's more portly - most people are by that point. Clean-shaven rocks! (though I am a hypocrite as I'm currently sporting a beard)
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

verbal gymnastics wrote: However given that the picture is taken from a long way away, can we be sure that there is not an errant caterpillar crawling across our hero's top lip?

:lol:
Or his pet slug, Brian...........
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This site has timings for the tracks -

http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/albums ... Sugarcane/

1. Down Among the Wine and Spirits 3:12
2. Complicated Shadows 2:54
3. I Felt the Chill 4:00
4. My All Time Doll 4:10
5. Hidden Shame 4:15
6. She Handed Me a Mirror 4:05
7. I Dreamed of My Old Lover 2:36
8. How Deep Is the Red 3:48
9. She Was No Good 3:48
10. Sulphur to Sugarcane 6:00
11. Red Cotton 5:43
12. The Crooked Line 3:49
13. Changing Partners 2:40
always dancing

Post by always dancing »

Neil. wrote:Best EC look - no hat, no facial hair at all, no scarves, no sunglasses indoors - but specs a necessity, of course.

I think he might have been using the stubble to cover the double chin, but there's no need - he looks great for a man in his fifties! No worries if he's more portly - most people are by that point. Clean-shaven rocks! (though I am a hypocrite as I'm currently sporting a beard)
I am not "portly" and hopefully Elvis is taking better care of himself
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Dave on listserv , who has the album, posts-

Here's what I get when I play the disc:

1. 3:16
2. 2:57
3. 4:04
4. 4:14
5. 4:18
6. 4:08
7. 2:40
8. 3:52
9. 3:51
10.6:04
11.5:47
12.3:53
13.2:40
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Another photo appeared on the ShoreFire site. EC rocking the Haida bracelets (and also looking a lot like my dad...)
Can't get the photo to show up properly, but it's here:
http://www.shorefire.com/clients/ecostello/

Both of above shots by James O'Mara, a Vancouver photographer who's also responsible for these:

http://www.jamesomara.com/portfolio/music/music1.html

Image Image
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks Scielle ; this transfer is a bit more viewable-

That shirt must be a bitch to press!
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Presumably a promo stop for 'Sugarcane:

"concordrecords: Elvis Costello has been confirmed to perform and be interviewed on CBS' Late Show with David Letterman, Thursday June 4th!! "
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Like the big version for the detail, e.g. Haida bracelets (a term I've just learned!).
johnfoyle wrote:Dave on listserv , who has the album, posts-

Here's what I get when I play the disc:
Which brings us the fascinating revelation that Dave's times are 3 or 4 seconds more than the official ones! This is because the official ones are for the exact length of each track, whereas Dave's player is including the gaps that separate each track, in other words, the exact length of the CD as a whole. The observant will have noted that the closing track is the same in each - no gap after. Life isn't too long for such significant revelations!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Somwone could have totted up the total album length for me - now I'll have to do it myself. These are things of major significance :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Will this Japanese edition have the two tracks due for the vinyl release in the U.S.?

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=UCCO-3012

Secret, Profane And Sugarcane [SHM-CD]
Elvis Costello

Catalog No.: UCCO-3012
Label/Distributor: Universal Music
Release Date: 2009/06/03

Description
New album release from Elvis Costello featuring SHM-CD format (compatible with standard CD players). Produced by T Bone Burnett.

Bonus Track: two Japan-edition bonus tracks
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Ayako
posts to listserv -

Yes, it looks like that the bonus tracks on the Japanese edition will be "Femme Fatale" and "What Lewis Did Last", according to the following website (Japanese only):

http://www.towerrecords.co.jp/sitemap/C ... ORT_CD=101
buzz

Post by buzz »

Thought I'd alert people to the fact that I found a promo copy on cd of the new album in Edinburgh on my latest visit (13 tracks). There must be others knocking about. Sounds great with the arrangements and playing of a very high quality.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Erm - so you've heard all 13 tracks.... so what did you think of them?!!! We need more detail!