North
64%
Goodbye Cruel World
36%

Total votes: 22

Jackson Monk

ELVIS CUP RD 1 - North V Goodbye Cruel World

Post by Jackson Monk »

Hmmmmmm.....Just pretend you've got them if you haven't..
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

I haven't gotten "North" yet, but I have a feeling you're implying something about it...

From what I've heard of "North", however, it gets my vote.
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

controversial!!!! I dont hate GCW though, it has it's good points, and North is newer so less taken to heart.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

If only someone would just unproduce GCW, and then reproduce it, but sanely, and with style.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm not too familiar with either albums, by North at least has emotion and depth on certain songs, whereas GCW seems lacking in that area.
bobster

Post by bobster »

I've only listened straight through to the first eight songs (took a break, will get back to it in a bit) -- but it's pretty easy to say it's better than EC's all-time-universally-acclaimed worst ever album. In fact, GCW is the only album he's ever made that I would ever call "bad" in any way, and one of the very few that isn't great at least most of the time.

"North" may not go down super-easy but it's obviously "good" at the least. Personally, I was hoping for a bit more Rodgers & Hart/Bacharach/Porter and a bit less Sondheim as well as more variation in tempo, but I may change my mind about that too. I'm still not sure what I think, but I think just on the basis of the wondeful "Still," this is already a gazillion times better than GCW. It's also probably EC's most overtly uncommercial album since "The Juliet Letters" -- but somehow I'm getting this odd feeling it might be some kind of bizarro break-out record for him -- probably not, but I guess the hype is working on me.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

North is SO amazing!

I listened to it on the way to school this morning. The songs were in my head as I walked around campus. It was a wonderfully breezy day and there were already leaves blowing around and the songs went PERFECTLY with the weather! He was right!
By the time I got back into my car to drive home, it was POURING rain! What a perfect drive home...
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

North. I take direction well.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
girl out of time

north

Post by girl out of time »

north makes much more sense as an album than goodbye cruel world.......
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....