Momofuku Poll #2 - Whaddya think?

Pretty self-explanatory

Whaddya think of Momofuku?

I love it! One of Elvis' best!
14%
One of the best? Not sure, but it's pretty freaking awesome!
52%
It's quite good!
29%
Eh, it's okay I guess
5%
It's got one or two good songs but the rest are kind of shite
No votes
It's shite. Period.
No votes

Total votes: 79

charliestumpy

Re: Momofuku Poll #2 - Whaddya think?

Post by charliestumpy »

My hmv.co.uk arrived yesterday when I played it several times.

I/my wife like it very much, and feel that the CD 'fat live' sound is so good we do not need to buy the vinyl (unless we're passing real HMV/re-instated Fopp etc).

Well done to EC/his band etc/the production team.

It's a pity that in UK EC is not valued as much as his expansive quality merits.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm loving this so far. Not going to vote until it sinks in a bit more, but definitely up there. Jenny Lewis & Co. add a really sweet touch to the whole thing.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
littletriggers

Post by littletriggers »

Flutter and Wow for me and Harry Worth , can't remember if his first born was a boy otherwise I like the sentiment of My Three Sons also . A lot of the rest does sound a little thrown together .
Has everyone read the Lost Horizon latest ad with a long explanation about Momofuku supposedly from Elvis part of his justifcation for release seems to be that no one turned up one of the free discs supposedly hid in last years Hits CD, and a huge prize for those that claim , 1st prize a tin of spray paint !
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

I too am holding off on my vote for now. I'm on the 8th or so runthrough since yesterday, and I'm not hating it, but it's not sinking in as quickly as I'd hoped. Maybe I'm just getting old. But I think I'm going to love it eventually, so I'm going to keep listening to it.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Mike Boom wrote:No Hiding Place is a cousin of "Home Is Anywhere .." and "I Hope Your Happy Now".
True enough, but the song the verse most reminds me of is 'You Bowed Down'.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
eleanor ruby

Post by eleanor ruby »

While I love the album, I'm having a lot of trouble with "Pardon Me Madam, My Name Is Eve." I'm trying so hard to like it, but it hasn't grown on me whatsoever, as pretty much every other song has done. I can't quite pinpoint it, but I think it's the lyrics; too upfront? I'm not sure. Did Lucinda Williams write them? I'm finding it hard to believe that Elvis could have.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Loretta Lynn.

I think I'll vote for the 2nd category down.
It's more than you could have possibly expected and there are very few men of his age doing anything vaguely this good.
However, to compare it with Imperial Bedroom or This Year's Model would be stretching it somewhat.
Even compared to Brutal Youth it falls slightly short - the up tempo tracks such as No Hiding Place or Stella Hurt are as good, if not better, but the ballads fall short in comparison. My Three Sons is obviously heartfelt and some of the lyrics (especially the line about arithmetic) very touching, but Brutal Youth has 2 of his best ballads ever in You Tripped At Every Step and Favourite Hour - MTS and Flutter & Wow aren't in the same league.
So all in all, very impressive, but UEFA Cup, not Champion's League (but, hey, it could have been relegation).
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
eleanor ruby

Post by eleanor ruby »

Ahh, Loretta Lynn. That's right. I really need to get my facts straight. He's been working with too many women lately, I think (Kidding...).

But yes, I'm not crazy about "Eve" ... Perhaps eventually I'll get over it. As of right now, my favorites on the album are "No Hiding Place," "Flutter & Wow," and "Song With Rose."
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Pardon Me, Madam... is a heckuva lot better than the title would suggest. Not that it's that fab, but it had no where to go but up.

I'm still listening. No vote yet. Do not alert the media.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Moody, where were ya at the Knoxville show?

Having just received the CD the day of our drive to Knoxville, I finally got to listen to the whole thing from start to finish after listening to the LP, three songs at a time, for the past couple of weeks. It really flows very well and is terrifically paced with just the right balance of rockers, mid tempo numbers and ballads. Favorite songs (today) are Song With Rose (absolutely transcendant and "filled with the Holy Ghost") and Flutter and Wow but there is nary a weak tune on it. So far, Drum and Bone lights my fire the least.
littletriggers

Post by littletriggers »

Fishfinger king I put This Years Model on side two of my tape to cheer me up !
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

I'm only through my 2nd listen, so I'm sure it will grow on me, but this record really sounds slapped together, hurriedly written, and not in a good way.

Some of the songs, like American Gangster Time, sound as if written by collaborative effort from the "Supergroup" in mad-lib fashion. Its a drag, salutin that starry rag, then something or other makes me gag, and it could've had another verse with the word "sag". I dunno, just pretty weak by Elvis standards.

Turpentine is just plain awful.

No Hiding Place and Pardon Me are very good though. The rest seem just okay.
thenewsoftshoe

Post by thenewsoftshoe »

Eh it's definitely okay.

TURPENTINE!
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Only just got it, guilty iTunes downloader I. I like the 'LP' - a lot. It's beautifully sequenced. The sound is gorgeously raw, he seems to keep returning to the blistered beauty of Blood and Chocolate more than anything else in recent years. The vocal harmonies add a lot, not just a multitracked chorus of little Elvis's, as one writer observed of the single version of Blue Chair. I'm glad he's still developing and fighting to get his material out, even though he longs to reach beyond us, his longtime fans. Until he reaches a certain age and gets reappraised and reappreciated he's stuck with us though - sorry Elvis but you've got to love us! Perhaps not like we love you, but anyway...

I feel I'm already scanning the LP for clues to his post twins world and thoughts. I'm sad he's not touring the LP, seeing him live has always brought new tracks into focus for me in one aspect or another, a very rewarding experience that invariably places some of them deeper in my heart. And it's not just the interpretative dancing...

Has anyone got a lyric sheet?

Be most appreciative if someone could tell me where side 1 ends and side 2 begins, I'll set my iPod to take a break accordingly - thanks!
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Emotional Toothpaste wrote:I'm only through my 2nd listen, so I'm sure it will grow on me, but this record really sounds slapped together, hurriedly written, and not in a good way.

Some of the songs, like American Gangster Time, sound as if written by collaborative effort from the "Supergroup" in mad-lib fashion. Its a drag, salutin that starry rag, then something or other makes me gag, and it could've had another verse with the word "sag". I dunno, just pretty weak by Elvis standards.
I definitely respect the difference in opinion, but I would point out that if the songs are slapped together, this is the least slapped together song as its been featuring in EC's live show for over a year now. That doesn't mean its good (although I think it is), but it has definitely had time to undergo revision and refinement.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

littletriggers wrote:Fishfinger king I put This Years Model on side two of my tape to cheer me up !
Good decision!!! :D
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Paul B wrote:Be most appreciative if someone could tell me where side 1 ends and side 2 begins, I'll set my iPod to take a break accordingly - thanks!
Glad you're enjoying it. Easily done: even 6 a side, so Stella Hurt kicks off side 2.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Well, I understand and respect the fact that everyone has an opinion. But I really like this album.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

I know No Hiding Place kind of sounds like 2 or 3 songs from the past, but I'm happy to say, he's perfected what he was trying to do with those previous songs. I think this is his best version of that. Love it.

I think I'm initially putting this album in the same category as Paul McCartney's most recent one (whichever category that is)...maybe a little better though. Yeah, probably, definitely better.

Has anyone ever had moderately severe tongue pain? I think it's a canker sore or something, but it HURTS. And WebMD sucks!! I hate it!

I did the salt water thing, and that did nothing...time to try tylenol or asprin, but that won't work. Should I call in for work? :x
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Why LTZ, I thought a new Elvis album might pull you out of the woodwork!

And I picked up hints of Paul in this album when I first heard it and thought of you. :)
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

LTZ! It's like old home week around here lately!

You should be able to find some OTC stuff in the toothpaste aisle at the drug store - but, don't you work in a hospital? where there are doctors and good drugs?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

LessThanZero wrote:Has anyone ever had moderately severe tongue pain? I think it's a canker sore or something, but it HURTS. And WebMD sucks!! I hate it!
Just don't go to Doc's most hated medical website: WrongDiagnosis.com Oh my, how he hates that one. And we have seen a lot of these lately. Before I found out how out of whack my estrogen levels and got some doctor to realize that all I needed was a good pack of hormone pills, we looked at every medical website. A woman could practically diagnose herself with prostate cancer on one of those stupid sites.

Moody's right - don't you know some doctors? But you probably have one of those sores - and sometimes they're caused by stress. You can't possibly be stressed with a new Elvis album out!

But you know we love you here. We'll take care of you. :)
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Couple more spins -

Go Away friggin ROCKS

BTW- I had one of those tongue sores a few days ago. Nothing visible, but it FELT like some had driven a nail through it, and after a couple days it went away.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

This pain is towards the back of my tongue, on the SIDE, so it hurst to talk or eat.

BRUTAL MOUTH.

Maybe the new angry young man lyrics are making my mouth think I'm stressed....

Don't call on me to help you out
don't come crying to me for sympathy

na na na na na na na na na na na...
Last edited by LessThanZero on Fri May 09, 2008 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Anyone else thinks My Three Sons feels like a second part of Still ? The song from "North" being a hymn to his wife, and My Three Sons - to his kids ?
Lyrically and musically they seem very related to me.
Oh well, just a thought .....
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed