In Praise of Davey Faragher

Pretty self-explanatory
FAVEHOUR

In Praise of Davey Faragher

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Last night's Ryman show prompts me to again praise Davey for his ability to add background and harmony vocals to the show. For these new Momofuku songs, until the extra players came out for the encores, it was Davey's lot to have to do all the background vocals the "supergroup" do on the new songs. He sang on almost every song, and he remembers all the words. Not only that but he played a mean bass as well. He really adds an extra dimension to the live show.
bronxapostle

Re: In Praise of Davey Faragher

Post by bronxapostle »

agreed!!! six years down the road THIS month since i first saw him step up with the boys. two freebie promo gigs in nyc, yet, IMMEDIATELY KNEW E had found the right guy! all the bass parts down pat OR played with different enough nuances to be pleasantly changed. AND, the VOCALS...awesome! the 20 or so times since then have ALL been equally pleasant. THE IMPOSTERS: a legendary band thanks to DF and his skills!
migdd

Post by migdd »

Here's another nod for Davey! While the Attractions were an incredible English rock and roll band, the Imposters are much more versatile and varied in their repertoire due, in my opinion, to the lack of alcohol consumption amongst the band, the years of being on the road and, last but hardly least, the contributions of Mr. Faragher. Davey adds a more soulful, rhythmic dynamic to the band, which I particularly appreciate. I was a big fan of Davey's when he worked with John Hiatt and was thrilled that Pete had found a "partner in rhythm" with him.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

nodding, yes.... Did he get rid of the dreads?
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I'll chime in too. Bruce's recorded efforts are obviously classic and untouchable, but Davey brings soooooooooooo much more to the live show (and definitely no slouch in the studio!)
When I heard a live version of Tears Before Bedtime on the Toussaint shows with Davey filling in all over the place, I was sold.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Now that you mention it, I remember hearing Davey's vocals on one of the Imperial Bedroom tunes (I can't recall if it was Tears or another track), and I wasn't so pleased... It seemed slightly off.. which is fine... It's a far out record.. It was my favorite for a while (in my college years - decades ago)... My initial thought was that maybe Davey didn't have enough time to dial it in... and feel the discords.. It's definitely a different sound... It's like a 2/3 clave vs. a 3/2 clave in terms of latin music.. just different ... I look forward to hearing Davey on Momofuku... Based on the reviews/feedback, I am sure I won't be disappointed.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Davey's definitely fantastic. I remember he made a big impression on his first album with Elvis - think of that crazy bass jumping all over the place (in a good way!) on Spooky Girlfriend and Tart. Like Bruce, a very melodic player - not just there to keep a pulse going through the whole thing, but bringing his own colourings to enhance the sung parts. Hats off to the man!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Hats off to the man indeed.

And he is an incredibly nice guy to boot!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.speakersincode.com/2010/05/c ... ready.html

Friday, May 21, 2010

Chris Shiflett & The Dead Peasants will release their debut self-titled album on July 13, 2010 on Le Coq Napoleon/RCA. Of course, Shiflett is known for being the Foo Fighters' lead guitarist, so it's nice to see him branching out on his own.

Here are the details from the press release:

Chris Shiflett & The Dead Peasants is a new project from Shiflett, already known as the lead guitarist for Foo Fighters and the frontman for Jackson United. Steeped in his love for classic country artists (Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings), rockabilly (Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran), and deep-rooted rock bands (The Rolling Stones, The Replacements), this new album is packed with soulful pedal steel- and twang guitar-accented songs. The album highlights his talent and versatility not only as a skillful guitarist, but also as a songwriter. These infectious Americana-laced rock songs are some of the best he’s penned, from the chiming keys and buoyant, ringing guitars of “Get Along” to the pedal steel- and mandolin-lined heartache of “Bandaged,” and from the spry, Old 97s-ian “Baby, Let It Out” to the rueful country swing of “Death March.”

Shiflett wrote the songs on Chris Shiflett & The Dead Peasants over the course of 2008-9, inspiration first striking when a friend asked him to perform at Orange County’s punk-rockabilly Hootenanny festival in 2008. After re-immersing himself in his Americana and old country music collection to prepare a short set – and then playing a brief acoustic tour with friend Joey Cape of Lagwagon – he began writing what eventually became the new album. Recorded at the Foo Fighters’ Studio 606 in Los Angeles, CA, this past December and January, the core band on Chris Shiflett & The Dead Peasants is Shiflett (vocals, guitar), 606 house engineer John Lousteau (drums, in addition to engineering), and Derek Silverman (keyboards). The album’s additional instrumentation was performed by an array of fine musicians, including Davey Faragher (Elvis Costello and The Imposters, Jenny Lewis, John Hiatt) on bass, Greg Leisz (Wilco, Lucinda Williams, Whiskeytown) on pedal steel, Stevie Blacke (Beck, Weezer, Colbie Caillat) on violin and mandolin, and Audra Mae on backing vocals.

Track listing for Chris Shiflett & The Dead Peasants:
1. Helsinki
2. Get Along
3. Bandaged
4. God Damn
5. Burning Lights (Joe Strummer cover)
6. An Atheist’s Player
7. Not Going Down Alone
8. Baby, Let It Out
9. Death March
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Faragher is sensational - probably my favourite living session bassist, along with Pino Palladino.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Brian Ray, a member of Paul McCartney's touring band, tweets:
Joining Oliver Leiber,Davey Faragher and Joe Zook today in the studio, for a lil side project.. Stay tuned for Crash Boom Bang