New TV show: "Spectacle: Elvis Costello with ..."

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

New TV show: "Spectacle: Elvis Costello with ..."

Post by sweetest punch »

http://canadianpress.google.com/article ... iqgxFlEqBQ

Elvis Costello/Elton John collaborate in Canada-U.K. music show airing on TV

Renowned British musicians Elvis Costello and Elton John are collaborating for a new show airing on CTV that was conceived and developed in Canada.

"Spectacle: Elvis Costello With ..." will be hosted by its namesake and is executive-produced by Elton John's company, Rocket Pictures. The series aims to raise money and awareness about AIDS in Africa.

The 13-part series, a Canada-U.K. co-production, will feature performances and in-depth discussions between Costello and some of the world's most influential artists and personalities.

"I'm not interested in extracting some dark secret," Costello said in a news release Wednesday.

"I'd rather hear about a bright secret, a deep love or a curiosity that might be otherwise obscured by fame. This is a wonderful opportunity to talk in complete thoughts about music, movies, art or even vaudeville, then frame it with unique and illustrative performances."

Elton John described Costello as "the foremost expert on popular music."

"I thought it would be sensational to use his knowledge and intelligence to explore the artistry of musicians and other fascinating people involved in making great music, as well as true music aficionados."

The series, which will likely debut in the fall on CTV, will also be broadcast on the Sundance Channel in the U.S. and Channel 4 in the U.K.

The series is co-produced by Toronto's Reinvention Entertainment, SpyBox Pictures and Prospero Pictures, along with the London-based Rocket Pictures.

http://www.brandrepublic.com/News/79938 ... usic-show/

Elvis Costello to host Channel 4 music show

LONDON - Elvis Costello and Elton John are collaborating on a 13-part TV series featuring talk and music with influential music stars, which will air on Channel 4 later this year and involve donations to the Red campaign.

'Spectacle: Elvis Costello with...' is being produced by John's Rocket Pictures and is being executive produced by John, his civil partner David Furnish and Costello.

The series' producers have formed a partnership with the Red campaign to raise awareness of and money for the Global Fund, which helps combat Aids in Africa. Some of the series' content will be distributed via various media and a portion of the profits will be donated to the fund.

The series will air later this year on Channel 4 in the UK, CTV in Canada and Sundance Channel in North America. FremantleMedia Enterprises will handle sales of the show to the rest of the world.

The programme has been devised as a forum for in-depth discussion and performance. Its content will range from interviews with iconic music stars and new acts to panel discussions involving performances and collaborations, including original interpretations of other musicians' songs by Costello.

Costello said: "I'm not interested in extracting some dark secret. I'd rather hear about a bright secret, a deep love or a curiosity that might be otherwise obscured by fame. This is a wonderful opportunity to talk in complete thoughts about music, movies, art or even vaudeville, then frame it with unique and illustrative performances."

Costello has previous experience hosting a TV show, including a stint as a guest host on 'The Late Show' with David Letterman.

Executive producer Sir Elton John said: "Elvis Costello is the foremost expert on popular music. I thought it would be sensational to use his knowledge and intelligence to explore the artistry of musicians and other fascinating people involved in making great music, as well as true music aficionados."
Last edited by sweetest punch on Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

Re: Elvis presents music show on TV

Post by And No Coffee Table »

I guess this explains the recent reference to EC hosting a talk show on Showtime. (The Sundance Channel is partly owned by Showtime.)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

This should be cool - I wonder what kind of "influential artists and personalities" they're planning. I'm thrilled and impressed that CTV will be airing it here - they're a major network available on even the most basic of cable packages (or even via antenna, for that matter).
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

BlueChair wrote:This should be cool - I wonder what kind of "influential artists and personalities" they're planning.
If he sticks to the artists he has already worked with, that would be already sensational: Paul McCartney, Burt Bacharach, Allen Toussaint, Emmylou Harris, Lucinda Williams, Brodsky Quartet, Diana Krall, T-Bone Burnett, Alison Krauss, ...
Let's hope he'll invite also younger artists: Radiohead, Jenny Lewis, Amy Winehouse,...
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Otis Westinghouse

Re: New TV show: "Spectacle: Elvis Costello with ..."

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Wahoo and on C4 too! Can't wait.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
John

Post by John »

I can't wait for the festive special to rival Jools' show. Christmas tree, duet with Diana, twins singing something about lemonade......
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

How CTV landed the Elvis and Elton show
ANDREW RYAN

From Thursday's Globe and Mail

E-mail Andrew Ryan | Read Bio | Latest Columns
April 3, 2008 at 3:31 AM EDT

They may hail from different musical realms, but British pop icons Elvis Costello and Elton John are coming together to collaborate on a TV series that will air on CTV and around the world.

Titled Spectacle: Elvis Costello With... , the new series will feature performances and one-on-one discussions between Costello and top names in the music business. The Canadian-British production is executive-produced by John's company, Rocket Pictures.

But it all started here. Long in the making, the series was conceived nearly 10 years ago by former music journalist Stephen Warden of Reinvention Entertainment, who took the idea to entertainment lawyer Jordan Jacobs of SpyBox Pictures and film producer Martin Katz of Prospero Pictures. (Katz was already acquainted with John and his life partner, Canadian David Furnish.) Based in Toronto, the three men formed Tri-Fi Productions to produce the series.

"We took the idea to Elton two years ago," says Warden, one of seven executive producers listed on the series along with Furnish. "He got excited and said, 'Let's do this.' "

The time since has been spent setting up broadcast deals. Scheduled for 13 one-hour episodes, Spectacle will probably make its debut on CTV this fall, and will also air in the United States on the Sundance Channel and on Channel 4 in Britain.

There's an iron wall of secrecy surrounding the list of music-industry giants who will appear on the series, but it's a safe bet John will be among them. "That would be a very good guess," Warden says.

In keeping with John's long-time commitment to philanthropic causes, the series is partly designed to help combat AIDS in Africa. Program excerpts will be sold via new media and to international broadcasters, with some profits directed to the Global Fund.

The choice of Costello to host the program was an easy one to make. "Elvis and Elton are very close friends," Warden says. "Elvis runs the gamut as an artist and the show will cover every musical genre imaginable."

Winner of multiple Grammys over his three-decade career, Costello drew rave reviews when he assumed the host role on Late Show with David Letterman while Letterman was recovering from heart surgery.

A noted musicologist and contributor to Vanity Fair magazine, who married Canadian jazz chanteuse Diana Krall in 2003 on Elton John's estate, Costello plans to keep things light and breezy. "I'm not interested in extracting some dark secret," he said in a press release. "I'd rather hear about a bright secret, a deep love or a curiosity that might be otherwise obscured by fame."

John describes his countryman pop star as "the foremost expert on popular music. I thought it would be sensational to use his knowledge and intelligence to explore the artistry of musicians and other fascinating people involved in making great music, as well as true music aficionados."

The show will be shot in New York (Costello and his family live there and in Vancouver). Taping begins next week.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
brian harmer

Post by brian harmer »

I assume and hope that the show will be filmed in front of a live audience... any information about tickets yet? Also, I can't wait to see who is on E.C.'s guest list. I'd like to see Bruce Springsteen or Van Morrison but the former is a longshot and the latter is an absolute impossibility. I'd love to hear Corinne Bailey Rae sing with Elvis (yet another longshot, considering her recent loss) Maybe Donal Lunny? Christy Moore? Paddy Maloney? Willy (Mink) DeVille? Lou Reed?... The possibilities are endless.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Welcome member number 800.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Welcome indeed. 800, wow. Curious, though, how many sign up and never post. I can understand posting 1 and then not bothering, but why go through the hassle of signing up and never?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

This sounds so promising. It could be the thing that finally gets Elvis into the popular consciousness, and gets his songs across to a lot more people. Fingers crossed it all works out. As long as he can get rid of his nervous, defensive body language and tendency to say 'you know' in the middle of every sentence, he should be fine. Good luck, Elvis!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The recordings of shows begin!

http://hoboken411.com/archives/11333

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Studio 8H is where Saturday Night Live is done.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Wow.

And no doubt there'll be some nice gentle questions lobbed at Bill...

Bill will probably ask Elvis to define what he means :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
brian harmer

Post by brian harmer »

So... go throuh the NBC box office for future tapings of Spectacle? This week is such short notice to get off from work and get up to NYC.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Some things have to be done though...

If only it was in London.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

So did anyone go to the first recording? What was it like?
jmm

Post by jmm »

Next weeks tapings are Tony Bennett and Lou Reed - will report back after
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

So far , so safe. Will Elvis get a bit more risky and feature some like - he's admired him in the past - Vincent Gallo? Or Jim O'Rourke? Or Nellie McKay?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

jmm wrote:Next weeks tapings are Tony Bennett and Lou Reed - will report back after
Sounds believable enough, but do we have a source on that information?
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Nellie would be fab. Or Rufus.
jmm

Post by jmm »

The source is my invitation for tickets
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

that's a good source!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

> From: michael petolino
> Date: April 10, 2008 2:42:53 PM EDT
> To: 'Steve
> Subject: RE: via Hoboken411 - Free NBC Studio Tickets
>
> HI!
> Just wanted to say thanks for attending.
> If you did miss the shows they were amazing!!
> Very intimate & great performances.
> One of a kind setting & of course, Elvis!!
>
> IF you did make it,
> OUR producers LOVED the crowd.
> GREAT ENERGY, very diverse & a good vibe.
> It helped make the shoot look amazing & Elvis loved the audience as
> well.
>
> FOR THOSE THAT HAVE NOT RESERVED TICKETS ALREADY,
> They wanted to extend the opportunity for tickets to
> The LAST 2 SHOWS till SEPTEMBER.
> LET US KNOW ASAP if you want seats.
> You can pass on to friend family BUT we will be out of tickets by =20
> this weekend so pass along or respond ASAP!!
>
>
> You are invited to receive
> 4 COMPLIMENTARY TV TICKETS AT NBC STUDIO!!
> TO Both or either of the following shows=85
> THESE ARE OUR FINAL SHOWS UNTIL SEPTEMBER
> Feel free to forward!
>
> Date: TUESDAY April 15th, 2008
> ELVIS COSTELLO with TONY BENNETT
>
>
> Date: WEDNESDAY April 16th, 2008
> ELVIS COSTELLO with LOU REED

>
>
> Audience Arrival: 5:45pm
> Taping Time: 7:00-9:00pm
> Location: Studio 8-H
> 49 West 49th Street, NYC, NY 10020
>
> EMAIL MIKE@GOTHAMCASTING.COM
> Include name, age, phone #, how many tickets you need & guest names

> Please read all of the following information:
>
> =95 Use the 49th St. entrance to 30 Rockefeller Plaza between
=20=

> 5th and 6th Avenues. No tickets, you will be on a security list. =20
> Check in with the guest list on the mezzanine level. Photo ID is =20
> required.
>
> =95 NO cameras, camera-phones or other recording devices.
>
> =95 Please dress in business casual attire, and refrain from
=20=

> wearing the color white, red, or any noticeable logos.
>
> =95 Please do not bring excessive electronic devices or
over-=20=

> sized bags or shopping bags. Small purses are permitted.
>
> =95 Audience members must abide by all NBC and Rockefeller =20
> Center security policies and procedures.
>
> =95 All audience members must be sixteen (16) years of age or
=20=

> older. Photo ID is required if age is questionable. Driver=92s =20
> license, ID card, birth certificate or any other official =20
> declaration of age is permissible.
>
>
> Michael Petolino-President
> Gotham Casting
> 251 W 39th Street 7th Floor
> Nyc, Ny 10018