'Lost Highway will release Momofuku from Elvis Costello'

Pretty self-explanatory
Lester Burnham

Re: 'Lost Highway will release Momofuku from Elvis Costello'

Post by Lester Burnham »

I knew I'd forget to mention something... in keeping with the "live takes" theory, Elvis shouts a lot of little interjections throughout ("Are we rolling?", "Bridge!", etc.) and counts in a few of the songs, too.

And I doubt Elvis will be releasing any singles from the album, but if he did, the three that are the most "singleworthy" would be 'American Gangster Time', 'Stella Hurt', and 'Song With Rose'.

All the songs were written by Elvis, except 'Song With Rose' (with Roseanne Cash) and 'Pardon Me Madam' (with Loretta Lynn).

I also got a nice chuckle out of a particular credit on the sleeve:

"Tennessee Thomas courtesy of Geffen Records.
Tennessee Thomas also courtesy of Pete & Judy Thomas."
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

I don't think this has been answered (or asked)... Are printed lyrics included?
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

And No Coffee Table wrote:I don't think this has been answered (or asked)... Are printed lyrics included?
Nope, no lyrics. The left side of the gatefold is pictures from the recording sessions, the right side is the credits, and the record bags are plain white.

Looks like we'll have to decipher them ourselves, or hope that CD versions have the lyrics printed.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Thanks for your report, Lester! Much appreciated.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

BlueChair wrote:Thanks for your report, Lester! Much appreciated.
Yeah, what he said.
arcadecline

Post by arcadecline »

One word...goosebumbs
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

You're opviously very habby about the new release put blease what are "goosebumbs"?
"goosepumbs" for bity's sake!
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
arcadecline

Post by arcadecline »

sorry, "goosebumps" or better yet, "goose pimples"
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

To order the vinyl or not, that is the question.
LOUD and RAW sounds good to me, but will it arrive significantly earlier than May 5th? (in the damned UK at least)
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

Bad Ambassador wrote:Careful. If you post things saying that Steve Hoffman is legendary people might start to believe it's true, rather than a figment of the mullet-wearing-one's imagination.
Steve Hoffman can master my albums any day of the week (since I am the person on listserv who called him 'legendary') 8)

I have ordered the Momofuku vinyl - it's supposedly arriving on Tuesday (not bad considering I'm in Australia). I am the 10th person to place an order for Momofuku at my local record store...
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
migdd

Post by migdd »

A little bit of information about Steve Hoffman can be found here:

http://www.stevehoffman.info/interview-1.html
jmm

Post by jmm »

Mine arrived yesterday, but I don't get home until later today
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

Well, I received the LP on Thursday. I stupidly thought that the download mp3's would be available right away (Not until May 1st).

But, luckily my old turntable worked for the most part. I recorded it on my Mac and filtered out some of the noise from the old, bad needle I have.

Unlike others, I honestly was a little disappointed on first hearing. It didn't seem to have an "epic" quality that Elvis' best albums have ( The Delivery Man is a good example). It also sounded a little like one of those mid-70's singer-songwriter albums (like Jackson Browne, or more significantly, David Ackles), mixed with some Van Morrison. Not that that is a bad thing, but Elvis did emerge in '77 as a sort of rebellion against mid-70's pop.

But, you can never judge an Elvis album on one hearing; it takes at least three listens. And, in this case, I was absolutely wrong. It just gets better and deeper with each listen.

For me, the real stand-out track is "Song with Rose". It is such a fantastic song, and the recording here gives it a nice Byrds-like quality. I thought that "Drum & Bone" was the weakest track, but it gets better and better with more listens as well.

The musicianship is fantastic. (The Imposters are such a great band. I can't wait for them to blow The Police off the stage this summer) I can't believe that the album was recorded in less than two weeks.
krm

Post by krm »

thanks for the review. Everything that EC touch is not gold!!! Glad you biased my expectations a bit. Most records grow after a few listenings. That is when the expectations are to meet the reality........
I´ll see when it shows up in HMV or Tower here in Tokyo!
Have fun!!!!
John

Post by John »

It's cheap at CD Wow but I couldn't wait that long!

http://www2.cd-wow.com/detail_results.p ... de=2680789
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Turpentine got a spin on a WORT-FM 89.9 (Madison Wisconsin) radio show last night
Streaming here: http://archive.wort-fm.org/mp3/wort_080 ... 01fomm.mp3
About 36 minutes in
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Thanks for that! It sounds terrific- great backing vocals and some real rock and roll production. Reminds me of the grittier stuff on When I Was Cruel. Can't wait.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Holy psychedelia!! Interesting track.

The DJ annoyingly refered to the artists as "Elvis Costello and the ATTRACTIONS". Old habits sure die hard!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Some handy tips for vinyl care here-

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs. ... 01/-1/NEWS

(extract)

Dust off that turntable if you're an Elvis Costello fan. His new album comes out Tuesday and you'll be able to get it only on vinyl for two weeks. Then a CD version will hit stores.

The British rock star has always been something of a contrarian, but his vinyl offering isn't a rebellion. It's part of a gradual resurgence of 33 LPs, a product that once seemed to have followed the same path as floppy disks, rotary phones and black-and-white television sets.
migdd

Post by migdd »

My hometown newspaper (online version, of course) gives Momofuku a nod:

http://www.charlotte.com/464/story/585641.html
jmm

Post by jmm »

Did others also get two seperate download certificates in the package or am I just lucky?
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

jmm wrote:Did others also get two seperate download certificates in the package or am I just lucky?
You're just lucky :(

Also, I believe I'm on my ninth or tenth listen -- nothing quite like driving around on a beautiful, warm spring day while listening to a new album on full blast -- and Momofuku just gets better with each listen. I think the excitement of having something new has worn off, so I'm able to listen to the album a little more objectively. As of now, I just can't seem to stop listening to 'Pardon Me, Madam, My Name Is Eve'.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I guess I ain't been paying attention, but I'd missed the translation of momofuku as 'lucky peach'. I thought the cover was more random than that. Nice concept!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
jmm

Post by jmm »

I'll start by saying it usually takes a little while for me to entirely warm to EC's new stuff. Last time I can remember a great first listen was Imperial Bedroom, until Sunday

However the amazing ability to musically shape shift is on display again with Momofuku, and employs both old and new freinds. The movement this time is from the early 60’s Allen Toussaint touch point of Freedom for the Stallion (that spawned the incredible River in Reverse and all that went with it), up to the mid-60’s to build from there

Seems certain that we now know Elvis had more in mind than playing a single song when he said at the Letterman web cast “they wouldn’t let us play the Beatles songs we’ve been doing so we had to write one” before launching into American Gangster Time. In fact, he wrote No Hiding Place which seems to have more than a little All I’ve Got to Do in it and Stella Hurt which seems to owe a debt to Hey Bulldog both of which were featured prominently in the tour last May. Mr Feathers and Harry Worth are in this same vein

But the album is much more than that. There are all kinds of old and new musical references that make the songs both fresh and familiar at the same time. My Three Sons follows in the tradition of 15 Petals and 45 but seems like he might have sat down to write it after the Magic Numbers show with Rosanne Cash last year when it hit him that he had a new number that a song. It's written in a straight forward and honest look at one of the joys of his life - which is a bit unususl for EC.

Thankfully the work with Rosanne also resulted in Song with Rose easily a standout track but the collaboration with Loretta Lynn on Pardon Me Madam, My Name is Eve might be even better!

And I’ve not even mentioned Turpentine, Go Away, Drum & Bone or Flutter and Wow which might be the best tracks

Hope that when I really have these songs sink in the first impression evolves into something else, like it usually does, but what a start - flutter and wow indeed!!

Can't wait to see them in NOLA on Sunday
colrow26

Post by colrow26 »

Momofuku indeed!!
Whilst i love the idea of releasing the album on vinyl only im having a hell of a job tracking down a copy!! Has anyone in the Uk actually managed to buy a copy or is this all part of Elvis's plan to p*ss off his British fans??? ive contacted HMv and Fopp in Manchester who both say copies are on order but have not turned up. Ive also been into Bury to the independant Vibes shop who also say copies have not turned up??
Ahh well from the reviews above Im sure it will be worth the wait!
...I want him to hurt...