Costello at Liverpool Philharmonic 25/06/08

Pretty self-explanatory
oliversa1

Costello at Liverpool Philharmonic 25/06/08

Post by oliversa1 »

Elvis Costello performs with the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra - Wednesday 25 June 7.30pm

Clark Rundell conductor

Elvis Costello has followed his musical curiosity in a career spanning more than 28 years. Known in the early years for his band The Attractions and later for his film music and collaborations with Burt Bacharach, Costello returns to his Liverpool roots and joins the RLPO to perform some of his most famous songs along with extracts from his first full scale classical orchestral work Il Sogno. Il Sogno, ballet music based on Shakespeare's A midsummer Night's Dream, has won critical acclaim for its originality, jazz tones and musical moods. Of Il Sogno ‘A rhapsodic piece full of shifting moods, with moments of eerie delicacy and of comic pomp.’ New York Times

Tickets £15, £20, £25, £35, £40
Don't Start Me Talking, I Could Talk All Night.
martinfoyle

Re: Costello at Liverpool Philharmonic 25/06/08

Post by martinfoyle »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Now that we know this, Elvis might indeed be in Poland on June 28. But with the Imposters??
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Will he be in Liverpool a few weeks earlier for this?

http://www.liverpool08.com/Events/Regis ... /index.asp

The Liverpool Sound

Anfield Stadium 01/06/2008

This once-in-a-lifetime concert to celebrate Liverpool's unrivalled status as the World's Capital of pop, rock and contemporary music will be a global event.

It will be a multi-artist concert in front over 35,000 people at the world famous Anfield Football Stadium on Sunday 1 June. The concert will be headlined by Sir Paul McCartney and his band and will also feature, live on stage, global superstars of popular music, to be announced at a later date, performing to one of the best audiences in the world. Millions of viewers will also see this celebration of Liverpool on television and online as it will be broadcast live to the worldwide audience.

This will be the first and last global concert ever to be staged at Anfield, the home of Liverpool Football Club before they move to a new home. It is well documented that world famous artists and musicians cite the Liverpool music scene as an inspiration to them and their music, and now, that music has travelled around the world and will, in 2008 at The Liverpool Sound, come back home to be redefined in the place it was born.

Sir Paul McCartney commented: "I'm very excited about Liverpool being the European Capital of Culture in 2008. We have a fantastic series of events which are sure to get you excited too. I'm very proud of the city and I look forward to welcoming you all and showing you a good time. Its going to be a great year."
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

martinfoyle wrote:Keep an eye on this.

http://www.liverpoolphil.com/eventlist. ... tegory=All
Tickets already available here:
http://www.liverpoolphil.com/eventdetai ... nt_ID=1696
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Very interested in this, provided we don't get too much of Il Sogno.

Has anyone else had problems with the RLPO online booking system? It won't seem to take my money!

Nick
snapyou

Post by snapyou »

Man out of Time wrote:Very interested in this, provided we don't get too much of Il Sogno.

Has anyone else had problems with the RLPO online booking system? It won't seem to take my money!

Nick
Same here.I've got two great seats in row C BUT the bloody website won't accept payments!
AAAGGHHH:So frustrating.
Trying to call the box office but on hold for AGES!
I really want to see EC here.
ANy other sites for tickets?
snapyou

Post by snapyou »

Got fed up with the online site not accepting payment so just got through to the box office
and got my row c tickets slap bang in the middle

Phew!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I'm in Row E of the stalls . The 'net facility wouldn't work but I got through on the 'phone. Now to book flights!
reviR

Post by reviR »

The guy on the switchboard this afternoon said the tickets dont go on sale until Monday!! Good luck to those of you who got them Saturday.
oliversa1

Post by oliversa1 »

Hope you all enjoy the concert, after initially finding out about this gig and getting all excited I was reminded by my lovelly wife that we are away in Rome that week celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary.

Can't understand why she won't let me fly back, only joking.

Well Gutted!!!
Don't Start Me Talking, I Could Talk All Night.
reviR

Post by reviR »

Online booking system now seems to be working - got my tickets!! Row C.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpoo ... -20437846/

Elvis Costello show at the Phil is sure to be a classic

Feb 5 2008
by Jade Wright, Liverpool Echo

SUPERSTAR singer Elvis Costello is to play a special homecoming gig at the Philharmonic Hall.

He is to return to his roots and join the RLPO to perform extracts from his first full scale classical orchestral work, Il Sogno, on June 25.

As well as his classical score, based on Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, he will also perform a selection of his most famous songs.

Now living in the US and married to jazz pianist Diana Krall, the 53-year-old singer/songwriter has clearly not forgotten his Merseyside roots.

Last Summer he played a sold-out fund-raising gig at the new Picket in Jordan Street, and more recently collaborated with Amsterdam on Don’t Throw Your Love Away for the Liverpool Number One Project charity album.

Born Declan Patrick McManus to a jazz band leader father and a Liverpudlian mother, Costello reflected the new music oozing from the city in those early years of rock and roll, and became a regular performer at the Temple Bar off Dale Street.

Bursting on to the New Wave punk scene in the 1970s and 80s with his band The Attractions, he went on to become one of the most influential British musicians in America.

In a career spanning more than 25 years, the Liverpool FC fan has performed with industry legends from Burt Bacharach to Paul McCartney and if imitation is the highest form of flattery then Costello is not short of compliments.

Covers of his work have been performed by the likes of Dusty Springfield, Roy Orbison and Johnny Cash.

The event is part of the 10-night Summer Pops at the Phil season, which will also include Paul McCartney’s Ecce cor Meum, John Lennon Songbook, Great Film Themes and Last Night of the Proms.

Elvis Costello plays the Liverpool Philharmonic Hall on June 25. Tickets £15–£40. For more information see http://www.liverpoolphil.com or call 0151-709 3789.

news@liverpoo,lecho.co.uk
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I'm going to give it a miss. Unless anyone wants to babysit. I'm thinking that Mrs VG would even come to see Elvis with me if it meant a night out together :lol:

When we saw the show in Amsterdam, fortunately the Il Sogno suite was only about 15 minutes before Elvis came out. That was just about enough. The show after that was fantastic.

I've just been on the website and the seat in Row E32 in the stalls is still available. The website doesn't say whether or not you'll be sitting next to Mr Foyle (data protection and all that!) :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Feel free to copy and come sit on my lap !

I've just booked for the Gustav Klimt exhibition at the Tate Liverpool on the morning of the show -

http://www.tate.org.uk/liverpool/exhibi ... fault.shtm
snapyou

Post by snapyou »

That's weird,Mr Foyle.

I'm in row C of the stalls but my tickets were £25.

Does that mean I'm going to get a sore neck if I'm too close?

Never been to the hall before so not too sure how high the stage is but the nice box office lady assured me that
it was a "very low stage"

Has any one got a set list for that Amsterdam show?
Thanks !
colrow26

Post by colrow26 »

Liverpool here i come - just booked two tickets!!
...I want him to hurt...
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I better stay away then
signed with love and vicious kisses
verbal gymnastics

johnfoyle wrote:Feel free to copy and come sit on my lap !

NB Mr Foyle does not actually condone the idea of people copying this ticket. He does not mind you sitting on his lap however.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

So is Elvis only playing Liverpool over here from now on?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

snapyou wrote:Never been to the hall before so not too sure how high the stage is but the nice box office lady assured me that
it was a "very low stage"
The best stage to watch someone on (apart from the Everyman down the road which doesn't have a stage at all) it's about chest height if you stand next to it. The acoustics are brilliant in that place.
verbal gymnastics

PlaythingOrPet wrote:The acoustics are brilliant in that place.
I should think so too!

Otis - Elvis came to London last year for the Tower of London show. For what it was worth.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

OK, Liverpool and Rotherhithe.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I know this is the most tenuous of connections , but if you want to hear an example of how the Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra sound with another 'rock' artist , this is worth a listen.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Durham-Concerto ... 076&sr=8-1

Durham Concerto
~ Kathryn Tickell (Artist), John Lord (Artist), Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (Artist), Mischa Damev (Artist)

Yes, Jon Lord from Deep Purple. John Kelly has been playing tracks of it on his radio show and they sound interesting .
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Earlier I posted -
Will he be in Liverpool a few weeks earlier for this?

http://www.liverpool08.com/Events/Regis ... /index.asp

The Liverpool Sound

Anfield Stadium 01/06/2008

This once-in-a-lifetime concert to celebrate Liverpool's unrivalled status as the World's Capital of pop, rock and contemporary music will be a global event.

It will be a multi-artist concert in front over 35,000 people at the world famous Anfield Football Stadium on Sunday 1 June.
A blogger in Liverpool seems to confirm it -

http://liverpoolsubculture.blogspot.com ... -mess.html

(extract)

The genius Elvis Costello will be joining his mate Macca (good move, eds), but as for the rest of the international, world-class, global, solar system, Milky Way, superstar line-up, no-one has a clue.

Apparently the show is sold out, except for this c.£550.00 corporate package -

http://www.08businessconnect.com/detail ... 322/1.aspx