This Year's Model: Deluxe Edition to be released March 4

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

This Year's Model: Deluxe Edition to be released March 4

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Costello To Release 2-CD Deluxe Edition of This Year’s Model
Fred Mills
January 17, 2008

Elvis Costello¹s sophomore release, his first album with the Attractions, This Year¹s Model was voted Album of the Year in 1978 in The Village Voice Jazz & Pop critics poll (among many other polls that year). Now the platter is about to turn 30, and Hip-O is going to give it a big party.

The two-CD This Year’s Model ¬ Deluxe Edition, arrives March 4, 2008, adding 11 B-sides, demos, live tracks, and alternate takes to the original album plus a second disc featuring a previously unreleased concert recorded at the Warner Theater in Washington, DC, on February 28, 1978. Taped on the Starfleet mobile studio, this show was originally broadcast on WHFS in Maryland, and although it has been widely bootlegged over the years on LP and CD, only the song “Chemistry Class” has ever been issued before officially (it surfaced as a bonus cut on Rhino’s 2002 expanded edition of Armed Forces).

Here’s the scoop from the label:
This Year’s Model was produced by Nick Lowe, was harder and rawer than Costello’s debut album, 1977’s My Aim Is True, partly thanks to the singer-songwriter-guitarist’s newly recruited band of keyboardist Steve Nieve, bassist Bruce Thomas and drummer Pete Thomas (no relation). The album outcharted its predecessor by reaching #30 in the U.S. and #4 U.K. The new Deluxe Edition includes the U.K. album-only album tracks “(I Don¹t Want To Go To) Chelsea” and “Night Rally” plus the U.S. album-only “Radio, Radio.”

The added selections, subsequently issued in a 2001 two-CD package, include the B-sides “Big Tears” and “Tiny Steps”; Americathon soundtrack contribution “Crawling To The USA”; demos for “Running Out Of Angels,” “Greenshirt” and “Big Boys”; live “Neat Neat Neat” and “Roadette Song”; and alternate takes of “This Year¹s Girl” and “(I Don¹t Want To Go To) Chelsea.”
Incidentally, some folks may still want to hold on to their 2002 This Year’s Model twofers that Rhino issued; the new version does not include that collection’s bonus tracks “Stranger In The House” (BBC Version), “The Price Of Love” and “Radio Radio” (demo version).

TRACK LISTING:

ELVIS COSTELLO AND THE ATTRACTIONS:
THIS YEAR¹S MODEL

DISC ONE:

1 No Action
2 This Year's Girl
3 The Beat
4 Pump It Up
5 Little Triggers
6 You Belong To Me
7 Hand In Hand
8 (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
9 Lip Service
10 Living In Paradise
11 Lipstick Vogue
12 Night Rally
13 Radio, Radio

Bonus material: B-sides,demos, live tracks, alternates, etc.

14 Big Tears
15 Crawling To The USA
16 Tiny Steps
17 Running Out Of Angels (demo version)
18 Greenshirt (demo version)
19 Big Boys (demo version)
20 Neat Neat Neat (live)
21 Roadette Song (live)
22 This Year¹s Girl (alternate Eden Studios version)
23 (I Don¹t Want To Go To) Chelsea (alternate
Basing Street Studios version)

ELVIS COSTELLO AND THE ATTRACTIONS
Live At The Warner Theater, Washington, DC, February 28, 1978

DISC TWO:

1 Pump It Up*
2 Waiting For The End Of The World*
3 No Action*
4 Less Than Zero*
5 The Beat*
6 (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes*
7 (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea*
8 Hand In Hand*
9 Little Triggers*
10 Radio, Radio*
11 You Belong To Me*
12 Lipstick Vogue*
13 Watching The Detectives*
14 Mystery Dance*
15 Miracle Man*
16 Blame It On Cain*
17 Chemistry Class

* Previously Unreleased
And No Coffee Table

Re: This Year's Model: Deluxe Edition to be released March 4

Incidentally, some folks may still want to hold on to their 2002 This Year’s Model twofers that Rhino issued; the new version does not include that collection’s bonus tracks “Stranger In The House” (BBC Version), “The Price Of Love” and “Radio Radio” (demo version).
This merits a slight correction: "The Price of Love" wasn't on the 2002 CD either (although it was on the initial promo copies). It also fails to list "You Belong To Me (Capital Radio version)" as missing from the 2008 set.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

The Rhino reissues were one thing.... those were a marked improvement on the Rykodisc releases, in terms of content, sound and liner notes. But this is getting ridiculous! I didn't buy those scaled-back Universal remasters and I'm sure as hell not buying these so-called "deluxe editions," even if they have a few tracks that weren't on the Rhinos. They should set a limit of one issue of an album per decade... three in the past seven or eight years is a bit much.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Here we go again. :roll:

This reissue will serve the same purpose for me as last year's deluxe addition of MAIT. . .a nice live CD release with the original album and previously-released extra tracks as a bonus. I've owned this performance on 2-disc vinyl since 1980; it will be nice to have it as a proper CD release, hopefully with improved sound. Not much to get excited about on the main disc, though. Same old, same old. The only reason to buy this again is for the live disc; it captures a great performance that documents how far the Attractions progressed as a band since the Nashville Rooms show from the MAIT reissue.

Any bets that the Armed Forces 30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition will contain the entire Hollywood High show as the bonus disc??
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

BlueChair wrote:The Rhino reissues were one thing.... those were a marked improvement on the Rykodisc releases, in terms of content, sound and liner notes. But this is getting ridiculous! I didn't buy those scaled-back Universal remasters and I'm sure as hell not buying these so-called "deluxe editions," even if they have a few tracks that weren't on the Rhinos. The should set a limit of one issue of an album per decade... three in the past seven or eight years is a bit much.
There is so much other stuff I'd rather spend my money on. Nice for completists and people new to his music. Sound-wise I don't see any deficiencies in the Rhino releases.

The only thing that would make me spend money again on EC's back catalogue would be deluxe vinyl versions, similar to the recent U2 Joshua Tree reissue. My Blood and Chocolate vinyl is a little rough around the edges.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

Hm. Well, this isn't entirely surprising, and the presence of a live show is pretty exciting. In fact, I received "Live at El Mocambo" from Amazon today, and I was thinking to myself, "Man, it would suck if Elvis released This Year's Model as a deluxe edition this year, and the El Mocambo gig was on there!" Happily...

Personally, I'm looking forward to the 2019 deluxe edition of Spike, or the 2032 deluxe edition of Cruel Smile ;)
And No Coffee Table

BlueChair wrote:I didn't buy those scaled-back Universal remasters and I'm sure as hell not buying these so-called "deluxe editions," even if they have a few tracks that weren't on the Rhinos.
Buy them, don't buy them... That's up to you.

But be fair. They have a lot more than "a few tracks that weren't on the Rhinos." MAIT has 30. TYM has 16.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Shorefire has the albumsleeve:

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

migdd wrote: Any bets that the Armed Forces 30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition will contain the entire Hollywood High show as the bonus disc??
I doubt it, at least I hope not. There are only a few Armed Forces songs from that show, it's from a tour long before the LP was recorded. They could do the whole Palomino show, but after the first set (heavy on AF) it veers off into country. It would be better if they would use another Feb-April 1979 show, some of which have come down to us in great quality and some of which haven't. But I'd bet on Pinkpop 6/4/79, I think that's what the live album will be if there is one.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Wouldn't it have been a commercially smarter move to say to themselves 'the fans will all have the Rhino editions, let's just release a bunch of live shows, e.g. in groups of 3.' Wouldn't we all be running to get that? As it is, I would only consider getting these when they are being sold off at £5 in Fopp or wherever in 3 years' time, same as happens periodically with the Rhinos.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Wouldn't it have been a commercially smarter move to say to themselves 'the fans will all have the Rhino editions, let's just release a bunch of live shows, e.g. in groups of 3.' Wouldn't we all be running to get that? As it is, I would only consider getting these when they are being sold off at £5 in Fopp or wherever in 3 years' time, same as happens periodically with the Rhinos.
Good point.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Thanks for the info.

I don't doubt for a minute that a live release will accompany each of these deluxe issues.

And the argument of buy them/don't buy them will always be there.

I will buy it; if I decide to buy it straight away is another question. I haven't bought The Juliet Letters reissue as it's not an album I play but I might buy it if it's ridiculously cheap.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
chickendinna

Post by chickendinna »

Personnally, I hope this whole reissue thing goes on forever so that I'll be able to have something like 10 different editions of each album. I have to do my part to contribute to the twin's trust fund.
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

After buying the columbia CDs, then the Rykos, then the Rhinos, I had no problem stealing a copy off the internet of the newest MAIT reissue, and I'll have no problem doing the same with TYM. TYM isn't even including any new non-live tracks, so this is pretty ineesential for me. I just feel EC is almost kicking his fans in the balls though. These new reissues aren't $15 like the Rhino 2 discs were. These are $30, and the die hards are getting screwed.
we have powerlines in our bloodlines
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

It seems a little strange to me that this reissue doesn't include some more unreleased studio recordings/rehearsels.
The bootleg 'Unloved Songs' has a lot of recordings from this area. Seems a shame...

See: http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... oved+songs
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I believe I'll pass this time around. I agree that it would be terrific if EC just started releasing stand alone live albums a la Dylan's bootleg series. I'd definitely pick those up for standard album price, but 30 bucks for essentially the same......
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
There is so much other stuff I'd rather spend my money on.
Cocaine and Prostitutes!

(speaking for myself and not you) :D
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
krm

Post by krm »

Good news??? Hmmmm, I´m a bit disappointed about this. The show on the extra CD has been around for ages now both on vinyl and CDboot, and the chances that potential customers for this reissue already has it must be a lot higher than the similar situation for MAIT.
TYM is still one of my favourite EC albums and during the years I have been eager to get the different releases (including the different US, UK, Swedish vinyl releases and different CD releases), but this one....
This rerererelease does not excite m at all. For my sake , I don´t think I will even dream about buying it.

but then again, I might have chenged my mind tomorrow......
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Boy With A Problem wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Cocaine and Prostitutes!

Heh heh.. love a hedonist
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

I am pleased that a new version of 'This Year's Model' has not been available every year.

How I enjoyed receiving my last digital version with the advertised 'The price of love' not actually on 2nd disc! (absence discussed above...).

My favourite versions so far are my original vinyls/the 1st CD/the CD in the 4-CD 'Live At El Mocambo' box-set/the 2002 Rykodisc one (even though TPOL is missing - obtainable elsewhere).

I am enthralled that those who wish to buy another rip-off can do so.

I understand why people who have bought several plastic versions obtain e.g. free digital downloads of version no. 30 etc.

On Bob Dylan 'Expecting Rain' fine site today, item no. 32 is this:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art ... 1003698406
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I should say that I am completely pro-reissue. I was totally behind the Rhino campaign and thought they did a terrific job. But why not spend time remastering the artists who need it... The Beatles, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Waits, Neil Young, the rest of U2's early stuff, and the rest of Bob Dylan's back catalogue, and not the same artist again and again. I know, those other artists are mostly on different labels, but still.. I think my point is valid.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

I wonder if this means Elvis will reform the Attractions for a few charity shows to perform the entirety of This Year's Model and any extra songs from the period...
SkaDan

Post by SkaDan »

have i been asleep? i have two re-issued versions of TYM ( 93 version and the 03 version ), and there is no "The Price of Love" on either version or disc. can someone point me in the right direction?
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

chickendinna wrote:Personnally, I hope this whole reissue thing goes on forever so that I'll be able to have something like 10 different editions of each album. I have to do my part to contribute to the twin's trust fund.
The twins' trust fund is already bursting at the seams. Plus, I've bought so many editions of his albums I think I'm entitled to visitation rights.

:shock: :lol:
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Boy With A Problem wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Cocaine and Prostitutes!

Friday should be a good night then :wink:
Lester Burnham wrote:I wonder if this means Elvis will reform the Attractions for a few charity shows to perform the entirety of This Year's Model and any extra songs from the period...
It's going to take a huge amount of charitability for Elvis and The Attractions to reform. Perhaps The Attractions could reform and then have a new Elvis frontman; kind of like From The Jam :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?