This Year's Model: Deluxe Edition to be released March 4

Pretty self-explanatory
charliestumpy

Re: This Year's Model: Deluxe Edition to be released March 4

Post by charliestumpy »

SkaDan wrote:have i been asleep? i have two re-issued versions of TYM ( 93 version and the 03 version ), and there is no "The Price of Love" on either version or disc. can someone point me in the right direction?
On this thread, the 2nd entry enlightens us (many like myself ordered/bought TYM online-with listed 'The price of love' and received copies with it absent).

It is often available in many places, including via Soulseek.

http://download.yousendit.com/B8AEF17C396757E1
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

"The Price of Love" was supposed to be on the Rhino CD, but Elvis asked that it be removed at the last minute. That's why the sticker on the cover mentions a 13-track bonus disc when there are only 12 tracks.
SkaDan

Post by SkaDan »

hmm, i dont have Soulseek, would it be available on Limewire? im curious to what it sounds like.
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

SkaDan wrote:hmm, i dont have Soulseek, would it be available on Limewire? im curious to what it sounds like.
It's available via that link that CharlieStumpy posted a couple posts back.

As I recall the track was included on a promo shortly before the Rhino TYM came out.
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sal-nunzi ... 82643.html

Sal Nunziato
Huffington Post, NY

Elvis Costello: This Week's Reissue

January 22, 2008

With CD sales at an all time low, and downloading at an all time high, I would like to know, what is Elvis Costello and the Universal Music Group thinking by reissuing yet another version of Costello's classic "This Year's Model," at the retail cost of $24.98? I asked the same question just a few months ago, when El and the Big Boys did the same for the 30th anniversary of the brilliant debut, "My Aim Is True." Who are these reissues for?

As a die hard Costello fan, or should I say, sucker, I will buy anything this man releases. His foray into classical, "Il Sogno," remains sealed on my shelf, but I bought it. His love letter to Diana Krall, "North," was a painful listen for me upon its release. I have now grown to like it. Very much, actually. But that's not the point. I didn't want it at the time, but I bought it. The "live big band" CD, "My Flame Burns Blue," was no more welcome in my home than "Benny Goodman Plays The Replacements." (Unfortunately, if that existed, I'd buy it, too. I think I may be answering my own question, but let me continue.)

If my math is correct, this will be the 5th version of "This Year's Model," as it was for "My Aim Is True." Each release promised more. The first was simply "better sound than your old scratchy LP." The next was "even better sound thanks to new remastering," AND it included bonus tracks- pertinent b-sides and rare cuts from the same recording sessions." At this point, Elvis switched labels, so he had to bring us along with him. The third version, on the new label, was offering "better sound" yet again, as well as a bonus CD that included the same bonus tracks as version two, but even more.

At this point, I think every fan was thinking, "Why not just release one CD and call it "The My Aim Is True Sessions." I think I asked a few record label big shots at the time why that wasn't going to be the case. I don't remember the answer, that's how unsatisfying it was.

OK, Elvis switches labels again. (I still haven't unpacked my books from the last move.) So here comes version 4. No bonus tracks, just dandy new packaging. BUT, inside this dandy new packaging was a code so you can access unreleased music off of a website. Very sneaky indeed.

Now we are caught up. Number 5. The bonus CDs included with the recently released 'My Aim Is True" and the forthcoming "This Year's Model" are live concerts from the day. Doesn't it make sense to just release the live shows? Wasn't that a huge success for the Grateful Dead with the "Dick's Picks" series?

As more and more people get fired from the major labels, and more and more artists are going the indie route, it makes little sense that these Costello packages were approved in this form. The industry needs to be saved. This does not seem like the way to go.
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

Good article John. I've already ranted at length about this very issue on the Costello-l mailing list and it's nice to see I'm not just a voice in the wilderness. I bought the MAIT Deluxe Edition but this TYM Deluxe Edition just doesn't cut the mustard for a real fan (and who else would buy the bloody thing?)

Just release the live albums without all this Deluxe Edition price gouging nonsense!
--Paul--
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

thepopeofpop wrote:but this TYM Deluxe Edition just doesn't cut the mustard for a real fan (and who else would buy the bloody thing?)

Just release the live albums without all this Deluxe Edition price gouging nonsense!
It's no surprise that the so-called "real fans", as you put it, don't get special consideration, they would only be a very small % of the total buyers anyway - most prior TYM reissue buyers would be very unlikely to buy another one (even less so after each reissue. There's probably only about 12 "real fans" in the world who bought TYM 6 times (half of them on this thread! :lol: )). Anyone else who is still getting into Elvis now would much more readily buy it.
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

bambooneedle wrote: There's probably only about 12 "real fans" in the world who bought TYM 6 times (half of them on this thread! :lol: )). Anyone else who is still getting into Elvis now would much more readily buy it.
But why would they buy this version when they can get the single disc version for half the price? :roll:

And I'll have you know that I've only bought TYM 5 times! :lol: It'll only be 6 times if I get suckered into buying this Deluxe Edition...
--Paul--
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

thepopeofpop wrote:But why would they buy this version when they can get the single disc version for half the price? :roll:
Because it's Deluxe. More than twice the songs including a choice live show from the era. What is so hard to understand about that?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

thepopeofpop wrote:
bambooneedle wrote: There's probably only about 12 "real fans" in the world who bought TYM 6 times (half of them on this thread! :lol: )). Anyone else who is still getting into Elvis now would much more readily buy it.
But why would they buy this version when they can get the single disc version for half the price? :roll:

And I'll have you know that I've only bought TYM 5 times! :lol: It'll only be 6 times if I get suckered into buying this Deluxe Edition...
The Rhino 2CD reissue of My Aim Is True sold more than 100.000 copies in the USA alone. I can't imagine that these are all people who are buying this album for the fourth/fifth time. The new packaging (linernotes and photos) and the extra tracks convinced new people to purchase this classic album.

Like myself, I'm not really an U2 fan. So I didn't buy The Joshua Three during the last 20 years that it's been available. But this Christmas time, I couldn't resist buying the 2CD+DVD Deluxe reissue. Despite the high price, the great packaging and the extra's made it worthwile for me.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/n ... lo-reissue

Pitchforkmedia.com, IL

Paul Thompson

01-23-08

Another Goddamn Elvis Costello Reissue

Elvis Costello must either be a world class pack rat, or he's got a master archivist somewhere in his bloodline. (Or, um, he has a greedy record company.) How can he keep pulling out B-sides, rarities, and other musical ephemera to back the seemingly endless campaign of reissues of his older albums?

This Year's Model, Costello's second album and first with the Attractions, will be given a "deluxe" double disc reissue March 4 on Hip-O/UMe. The original album-- complete with all tracks from both the U.S. and UK versions-- is backed by 11 less-known tunes, demos, and live cuts. It will be packaged with a live bonus disc, culled from a February 1978 concert in Washington D.C.

Still, This Year's Model is a hell of a record, no matter what you pin to its hind quarters. Produced by Nick Lowe, it's laden with Costello classics like "Radio, Radio" and "Pump It Up", and it's no wonder it went on to top the Village Voice's 1978 Jazz & Pop albums poll. Heck, some website I know even gave the 2002 incarnation of the disc a perfect score, and I hear they hate everything.

Elvis Costello's website refers to this year's This Year's Model as "the mother of all editions", so I wouldn't expect another reissue for at least, oh, six more years or so.
nord

Post by nord »

I bought my first TYM when the Rhino Edition came out, then I bought the Edsel Edition (the box-set, because of Live at El Mocambo), then the UK LP with bonus 7"...
Of course I will buy this one as well!

Reissues must have been made up for people like me!
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

johnfoyle wrote: Another Goddamn Elvis Costello Reissue
The title says it all. And yes, I'll be buying it.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

sweetest punch wrote:The Rhino 2CD reissue of My Aim Is True sold more than 100.000 copies in the USA alone.
I wonder what it sold over here. 10,000? Less? Possibly it's crept up with quite a lot of £5 flogging it off. I guess his presence and exposure in the US justifies all this, with a decent boost after the Dylan tour.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

well, keep in mind that 100k number is for the Rhino reissue, not the 2cd Deluxe editon.

I'd like to know the sales number of the Universal Deluxe. Because I imagine quite a few fans replaced they Rykos with the Rhinos, plus the casual fans who buy it. But not that many would rebuy another deluxe version so soon after the last reissue.
we have powerlines in our bloodlines
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Available for pre-order on Amazon now:
http://www.amazon.com/This-Years-Model- ... 450&sr=1-1
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
The Walrus

Post by The Walrus »

Weighing in here...

I'm real torn. Not Rip Torn, just torn. Once again, like with the Deluxe Universal MAIT, the way I find solace and sleep with these reissues (yes, I'll be picking up TYM) is to look at the Universal releases from a "the glass is half full" perspective...

Here's what I like:

*New TYM Concert--virtually all unreleased, officially. AND I like how Universal is doing ~something~ to make their mark on the Elvis catalogue. This is their thing, and I like it. SERIOUSLY. And I'm happy it was not the 'Live At El Mocambo' concert. That's a nice lil' RYKO gem. But, if they ever do release it--include the Nick Lowe songs!

*"Tiny Steps" on TYM. I always thought it was funny that "Radio Radio" was posthumously added to TYM and not its b-side. Sounds more right here vs. as a bonus for AF.

*I agree with dropping the Capital radio versions of "You Belong to Me" and "Radio Radio"--sound quality is not worthy. And just ~kinda~ agree with dropping the BBC version of "Stranger in the House"; more on that below. AND let Rhino have some exclusives!! Just like RYKO still has some. It's cool. For that matter, I'd have kept the alternate versions of "This Year's Model" and ""(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea" with Rhino and NOT on Universal. They're GREAT, but keep 'em with RHINO. They deserve it for their research. Universal, do your own research! Some examples are also below. PLUS, this would free up some space for MORE ~Universal~ exclusives.

Here's what I'm bummed about...

*Beyond the concert, nothing's new. I really did LOVE the Pathway Studios demos on MAIT + the sound check to the disc 2 concert. By the way, if you want some dumb fun: add MAIT to your mp3 player/iPod as is or perhaps with the MAIT outtakes added on. THEN, make your own alternate MAIT with the 'Pathway Studios' studio demos + the sound check.

*Still missing from official release: "The Price Of Love". An almost but no cigar with Rhino. And why not, Mr. Costello?!?!?! If there really aren’t any other true outtakes, then why not sound check TYM era material? OR other TYM studio alternates from the TYM sessions. Again, Universal, do some homework! Y-o-u-r homework.

*Getting back to being positive, here's a thought... Why not include ONE of the Flip City demos of "Radio Soul"--an early version of "Radio Radio"? This would solve another problem. Like many, I'd love to see the Flip City demos officially released and I think they're gonna do it at some point because they didn't include "Imagination Is a Powerful Deceiver" on the Universal MAIT. In this way, the other version could even be used for a Flip City demos collection. For that matter, there's also the Flip City demo of "Living In Paradise"... That's a judgment call. Either include it here, too OR save it for the Flip City collection OR include it on both. It would be akin to including the "Welcome to the Working Week" Pathway Studios demo on the 'Rock N Roll' collection--as a teaser for what's to come.

*Granted, there are TYM BBC sessions...but I suspect that a BBC collection is also in the works. Otherwise, "Pump It Up" and "Stranger in the House" would be viable options; they have already been released and could be here, too.

"Since initial copies of the vinyl TYM included "Stranger in the House" as a bonus single, it would have been cool to include a unique version of "Stranger in the House" on the Universal; even if it's using the BBC "Stranger In the House" again. I'm okay with that. If not the BBC version, ~something~. Alternate mix? Alternate take? Sound check? Live? And yes, I know that "Stranger in the House" is a MAIT outtake, but--again--it was included as a bonus single with early copies of TYM... At least "Neat Neat Neat" is here!

*SNL's "Less Than Zero/Radio Radio"?

So there you have. My mixed feelings.
GOO GOO GOO JOOB...

("No you're not" said Little Nicole)
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Quite aside from the licensing issues of certain recordings, I've no doubt there are many many things that Elvis is still holding onto. Some of them will see the light of day in subsequent reissues (and there will be more).

There are also many shows which have been professionally recorded. Personally I'd like to see the 1982 Royal Albert Hall released commercially.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://soundcheck.freedomblogging.com/2 ... facelifts/

The Orange County Register

February 1st, 2008

Ben Wener

Every respectable collection also needs a copy of Elvis Costello and the Attractions’ seminal 1978 liftoff This Year’s Model – but which version?

I was happy to concede that Rhino Records’ 2002 double-disc job was superior to Rykodisc’s earlier edition, if only because it separated the extras from the original kinetic classic, then added more, with most tracks either equally cunning verbally (“Big Tears,” “Crawling to the USA”) or of watch-him-grow value to Costellophiles (the demo of “Greenshirt,” his live tear through the Damned’s “Neat Neat Neat”).

UMe’s coming Deluxe Edition, due March 4 (almost 30 years to the day that it first arrived in the U.K.), coughs up most all of that previous track listing (it trades the “Capital Radio Version” of “You Belong to Me” for “Tiny Steps,” a smart swap) – but it’s now all contained on one disc. The second platter, as was the case with last year’s My Aim Is True: DE, is filled with a live set, in this case another scorching set from that first Attractions outing, captured before a considerably amped-up crowd at the Warner Theater in Washington, D.C., in very late February ’78.

Collectors (like yours truly) have an abundance of such shows to choose from – myriad bootlegs have long been available – yet of the half-dozen or so I’ve collected, this one would rank high, maybe even at the top. There are a few botched spots (almost entirely due to bassist Bruce Thomas losing his way in the song during those formative days), but Costello is as trenchant as he ever was, Steve Nieve is already proving himself to be a compatible player with a flair for the unexpected, and drummer Pete Thomas instantly establishes himself as a rhythmic hurricane with sympathetic, precision force.

Listen to how Thomas handles the reins of the tumultuous “Lipstick Vogue,” following his boss’ lead into an almost a capella drop-off in the final snide lines, then motoring this beast till its about to unravel - at which point Pete glides with ease into the reggae of “Watching the Detectives.” Costello’s off-the-cuff exaggerations of Thomas’ greatness over the years are only shades away from the truth.

Still …

Much as I’d heartily recommend all Franz Ferdinand fans savor the unstoppable energy that was the Attractions in their first flush of brilliance, I can’t figure out who’s really gonna buy this and future Costello DE’s simply for the live add-ons. So far this series is shaping up as the ultimate run – there can’t possibly be a reason to reissue them on CD ever again after this. And I’m hopeful that such overstuffing will eventually accompany Costello albums of equal might and vastly superior sophistication that don’t get as much love as This Year’s Model – namely, Get Happy!!, Trust, Blood & Chocolate and, above all, Imperial Bedroom).

All the same, I suspect even staunch devotees will find it “too hard” to get behind the idea of plunking down another Andrew Jackson for this year’s Model, when they already have a pretty hot looker at home.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.beatgoeson.com/linernotes/?p=60

The Never-Ending Reissue

Posted on February 11th, 2008 by Alan Cross

I just gave even more money to Elvis Costello this week. I bought yet another copy of This Year’s Model, one of my top three all-time favorite albums. This brings the total number of TYM editions in my collection to eight. Let’s count.

1.The original cassette I bought at K-Mart in 1978 when I was still driving my mom’s Pinto. It had a kick-ass under-dash Roadstar player that I bought with the money I earned at the grocery store.
2. An 8-track that I bought just in case I needed it. I never did.
3. A vinyl copy that I could listen to on my stereo while doing homework in my room.
4. The first-edition CD release in 1987. It was notable for the incredible amount of tape hiss that made it through the transfer process.
5. A remastered version (1993) that removed the tape hiss.
6. The copy that came with the 4-CD box set called 2 ½ Years in 1993.
7. The 2002 two-disc bonus edition with the “Radio Radio” demo and the cover of the Damned’s “Neat Neat Neat.”
8. The 2007 reissue featuring six previously unreleased tracks.

That’s a helluva lot of money to buying the same album over and over again. And Elvis is not the only beneficiary of my completest obsession. I have five different copies of the first Ramones album, three different versions of the first Stone Roses album and I’ve just acquired my ninth edition of The Joshua Tree. Again, let’s count:

1. The original CD
2. The original vinyl
3. The original cassette
4. The “gold disc” remastered edition
5. A replacement “gold disc” edition to replace the one that was ripped off when I was DJing a club gig.
6. The 20th anniversary CD
7. The 20th anniversary special-edition CD
8. The 20th anniversary special edition box set
9. The 20th anniversary double-weight vinyl edition.

No wonder Bono and the Edge can afford houses in the south of France. I betcha Elvis Costello is a neighbor.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Tidying up stuff I find the earliest boot I have of the Washington show that will be in this re-issue -

I added a track listing to the sleeve at the time . Note how I have Chemistry Class incorrectly titled Solution . A lot of the early boots had this error, the song's title only being clarified when it appeared on Armed Forces in '79.

It still plays well , proving that 'ferro high dynamic 1' was built to last!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

John - you never fail to surprise! :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/gyro ... oid=410997

Creative Loafing Atlanta

Elvis Costello
This Year's Model -- Deluxe Edition
Published 02.13.08
By Hal Horowitz

In celebration of its 30th anniversary – and to scrape a few more bucks out of fans' wallets – Costello's second and arguably most cohesive album gets its third "deluxe" reissue. By now, anyone even remotely interested has a copy, along with the associated bonus tracks, some of which – "Big Tears," "Crawling to the USA," "Tiny Steps" – are as great as those originally heard on the 12-track vinyl record. But the second disc's previously unreleased 1978 concert is almost reason to spring for it again. Costello and his Attractions machine-gun through 17 tunes – nine from the album – in a take-no-prisoners furnace blast that lasts about an hour. It's a breathless ride, and the remastered sound puts you center stage as Costello filters his melodic instincts through punk's passion for a set that's as revelatory and intense today as it was 30 years ago. 4 stars.
krm

Post by krm »

johnfoyle wrote:http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/gyro ... oid=410997

Creative Loafing Atlanta

Elvis Costello
This Year's Model -- Deluxe Edition
Published 02.13.08
By Hal Horowitz

In celebration of its 30th anniversary – and to scrape a few more bucks out of fans' wallets – Costello's second and arguably most cohesive album gets its third "deluxe" reissue. By now, anyone even remotely interested has a copy, along with the associated bonus tracks, some of which – "Big Tears," "Crawling to the USA," "Tiny Steps" – are as great as those originally heard on the 12-track vinyl record. But the second disc's previously unreleased 1978 concert is almost reason to spring for it again. Costello and his Attractions machine-gun through 17 tunes – nine from the album – in a take-no-prisoners furnace blast that lasts about an hour. It's a breathless ride, and the remastered sound puts you center stage as Costello filters his melodic instincts through punk's passion for a set that's as revelatory and intense today as it was 30 years ago. 4 stars.

Costello and his Attractions machine-gun through 17 tunes – nine from the album – in a take-no-prisoners furnace blast that lasts about an hour. It's a breathless ride, and the remastered sound puts you center stage as Costello filters his melodic instincts through punk's passion for a set that's as revelatory and intense today as it was 30 years ago. 4 stars.
This is really summing it up!! I took a listen to the old Elvis goes to Washington Boot yesterday, and it really is so damn good!!! It reminded me on why I started to listen to EC all those years ago!!!! I just wanted to say it!!!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/whit ... cal_notes/
Paste
Random Musical Notes
Fri, Feb 15, 2008 by Andy Whitman

(extract)

And the king of reissues, Elvis Costello, will see his second album This Year’s Model, reissued for about the fourth time in early March. It’s a 2-disc set featuring the original album, 11 B-sides and outtakes from the TYM era, and a 17-song concert from 1978,

If you don’t have the original album, what are you waiting for? It’s as great as rock ‘n roll gets. Costello’s first album, 1977’s My Aim Is True, revealed a stunningly talented songwriter, but This Year’s Model has it beat (it’s the beat) in every way—the songs, the production and, most importantly, the emergence of an amazing band in The Attractions. Steve Nieve’s circus calliope paired with those pounding drums and Elvis’s snarling vocals is one of the wonders of the modern world. The outtakes and B-sides have appeared in various configurations over the years (I have most of them on an old vinyl record called Taking Liberties). Still, Costello at this stage of his career was recording more great songs than could fit on his officially released albums, and almost all of these 11 “new” songs are quite wonderful. And the concert recording finds Elvis at the top of his game. Costello was hit-and-miss as a live performer, at least in 1978, and I saw him drunkenly stumble through a horrid forty-five minutes in Columbus ( er. .' 79, actually -J.F.) (the same night he infamously insulted Ray Charles as “a blind, ignorant nigger"). He’s much, much better here, and I’d say this live recording (from Washington D.C.’s Warner Theater) rivals the great live recording at the El Macombo Club from the same era.