New Elvis/Burt Bacharach songs!!

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

New Elvis/Burt Bacharach songs!!

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20071227/AE/747530673

Burt Bacharach plays the Wheeler

ASPEN — Burt Bacharach doesn’t tend to have that movie moment in his songwriting — that instance when the musicians put the final touches on a song, and the singer, the band and the producer all look at one another, then break into that big smile that says, “Hit record!” Bacharach has had a staggering number of hit songs — 70 that have made the top 40 since he first made the charts, in 1957. (That first hit, “The Story of My Life,” as recorded by Marty Robbins, was No. 1 on the Country and Western charts.) But the element Bacharach typically listens for, to see if a song is going to take a prominent place on radio, is one that doesn’t announce itself the moment the session is done.

A great song, at least by the standards of someone who has composed many of them, has to sound as good after the 50th spin as it did on the first.

“It’s something that doesn’t wear me out, doesn’t beat me up,” said Bacharach from his home in Los Angeles, explaining what he tries to put into his songwriting. “So it’s not, you listen four or five times and you love it, and then you say, ‘OK, enough with that.’ If I get tired of it quicker than I should, I have to rethink it.”

The best of Bacharach’s songs — “Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head,” “I Say a Little Prayer,” “Walk on By” — have stood that test of time, working their way into the collective American consciousness. Often, his songs have been reworked decades after they were first recorded; such artists as rockers the White Stripes (“I Just Don’t Know What to Do with Myself”), the folk-punk Ani DiFranco (“Wishin and Hopin’”), and the British New Wave band Naked Eyes, who had a 1982 hit with “Always Something There to Remind Me,” have honored Bacharach by reinterpreting his songs.

Bacharach himself has similarly been favored by the passing of time. While he’s no longer the hit-making machine he was through the ’60s and early ’70s — when he and lyricist Hal David were churning out tunes for singer Dionne Warwick — he has been embraced by a younger generation of artists and fans. The cover of “Definitely Maybe,” the debut album by British rockers Oasis, featured a photo of Bacharach; the band’s singer, Noel Gallagher, once performed Bacharach’s “This Guy’s in Love With You” with the composer. Elvis Costello made an entire album, 1998’s much-lauded “Painted From Memory,” with Bacharach, and the two are at work on a new batch of songs, likely to be recorded by Costello’s wife, jazz singer and pianist Diana Krall. Bacharach has made appearances in all three “Austin Powers” films, making the 79-year-old improbably recognizable to hordes of 10-year-olds. He has likewise made three appearances on “American Idol”; in the most recent of them, finalists competed in singing a 12-minute medley of Bacharach songs.

In a way, Bacharach’s popularity with the likes of Gallagher and Costello — not to mention hip-hopper Dr. Dre, who added loops and drumbeats to Bacharach’s 2005 album “At This Time” — is improbable enough. The composer specialized in a brand of light, romantic music that may have been popular and enduring, but was hardly the essence of cool or dwelled on the cutting-edge. Bacharach himself says that the main ingredient in his music has been accessibility — an element that normally fades over the years. But what the younger crowd is responding to isn’t Bacharach’s persona, but his way with a song.

This continuing relevance underscores another facet to the music. For all of their easy hummability, Bacharach’s songs have more complexity to them than is evident on the surface. His music employs distinctive time changes and unexpected chord progressions, to go with their incomparable melodies.

Perhaps even more than the individual songs, Bacharach has created a signature. A Burt Bacharach song, even divorced from Hal David’s lyrics, sounds like a Burt Bacharach song, whether sung by Dionne Warwick or Tom Jones, Christopher Cross or B.J. Thomas. Much of that has to do with the fact that Bacharach is not only a composer, but an arranger and producer as well, with his hands firmly on how his songs are framed and adorned.

“It just may have something to do with the orchestration, the way it’s presented,” said Bacharach, who performs at the Wheeler Opera House on Thursday, Dec. 27. “So much of the music has been born with the songs and the orchestration at the same time. ‘What’s New Pussycat’ and ‘Walk on By’ are very different — but there’s a common thread there that I haven’t figured out. I haven’t tried to figure it out. But people say it sounds like a Burt Bacharach song.”

Bacharach may have been a king of the ’60s, and remains a vital creative force, but there have also been low periods in his career. The one that seems still to be at the front of his mind is the 1973 remake of the classic 1937 film, “Lost Horizon.” The artistic difficulties in making the film were severe, and the critical and commercial rejection that followed seemed inevitable. Taking a significant portion of the blow were the songs themselves; the experience was enough to split the Bacharach/David writing team, and cause the former to rethink even his past accomplishments.

“It was a disastrous picture,” said Bacharach. “I didn’t want to write anymore. I just wanted to hang out at the beach. You don’t look at the body of work you’ve already done. You’re just right in the moment: ‘That’s a failure.’”

Time, however, has led to a different perspective. “I’ve gone back to the score, and it’s pretty good. It’s got good songs,” he said. “The movie just wasn’t good, but it didn’t have anything to do with me. It’s out of your control when it goes up on the screen.”

In the context of all that Bacharach is capable of, a film debacle from 35 years ago seems like a mere pebble in the road. After his Aspen performance — which features an eight-piece band, three singers, and Bacharach playing piano and doing a spot of singing himself — he is off to Hawaii, then Japan and Australia. All of those subsequent appearances are symphonic concerts, with Bacharach conducting the orchestra in his arrangements of his songs.

Asked if he could think of anyone else who had such a deep involvement — composing, arranging, producing, conducting — with a repertoire of songs, Bacharach could come up with three names: David Foster, whose songs include the movie hits “St. Elmo’s Fire (Man in Motion),” and “I Have Nothing,” from “The Bodyguard”; Henry Mancini, known best for his movie and TV scores, but was not much of a presence on radio; and his friend Elvis Costello, the former punk rocker who has taken up composing classical music and arranging and singing jazz.

“Outside of that, I don’t know who else,” said Bacharach. “As far as an overall package of singing, writing, producing, writing the arrangements, I think there’s just me.”

Burt Bacharach performs Thursday, Dec. 27, at 8 p.m. at Aspen’s Wheeler Opera House. Tickets are $100 and $125 for reserved seating, with limited, premium seating for $175, available at http://www.aspenshowtickets.com and at the Wheeler.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Re: New Elvis/Burt Bacharach songs!!

Post by johnfoyle »

Interesting as this news is it could be a while before anything is released. Ms Krall spoke is Sept./Oct. about demoing c.20 tunes for her next album. If Elvis 'n Burt are on the job again now they will , presumably, have to wait their turn. Unless the demos were unacceptable and this is a quick-fix substitute scenario. At least we won't, like in '98, have to read interminable accounts of the using of fax machines.
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Jeff Hamilton (DK's - and Oscar Peterson's... - drummer) posted his new calendar at http://www.hamiltonjazz.com/calendar.html
Diana is recording in NYC at the end of the month - could this be it? She had said in a Nov. interview that the next album is "songs from the 60s", but also mentioned bossa novas, and working w/ Claus Ogerman again.

Jan 29-31 JH; Recording w/ Diana Krall, New York, NY
Feb 1-7 JH; Recording w/ Diana Krall, New York, NY
Mar 7 JH; w/ Diana Krall, National Ballet & Opera Theatre; Vilnius, Lithuania
9 JH; w/ Diana Krall, Wroclaw Jazz Festival, Wroclaw, Poland
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Received "Magic Moments (The Definitive Burt Bacharach Collection)" (3 CD) in the mail yesterday.
The linernotes are by Elvis and he reveales that he and Burt have written two more songs together.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

(From this topic: http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... f=2&t=9299)
Elvis and Burt seem to be writing new songs for an Austin Powers musical: http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00046090.html

Mike Myers to Adapt 'Austin Powers' to Broadway Stage

"Austin Powers" is set to hit the Broadway stage. New York Post's Page Six reported that the film franchise's lead actor, Mike Myers, is in talks to adapt the action-comedy film into a musical play. He is expected to pen the script, which reportedly will serve as a prequel to the James Bond parody movie series.

"Mike is in talks to turn 'Austin Powers' into a musical stage show," said a source close to the 48-year-old actor. "Mike would be heavily involved in writing the show, but he will not star in it, even though he has quite a good singing voice."

The Hollywood Reporter additionally reported that the musical will be set in 1960s London. It will focus on how Powers first acquired his mighty mojo. Casey Nicholaw has been tapped to direct the play, which will be set to the songs of Burt Bacharach and Elvis Costello.

Myers has also signed up to star in "Austin Powers 4". In addition to reprising his titular role in the upcoming movie, the Canadian actor has sealed a deal with New Line Cinema to serve as the screenwriter and the producer. However, the exact filming date for the fourth "Austin Powers" film has not been determined yet.

The first "Austin Powers" movie, "International Man of Mystery", was released in 1997, followed by 1999's "The Spy Who Shagged Me" and 2002's "Goldmember". The three films have grossed $676 million from worldwide ticket sales.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The linernotes from the new album "In Motion Pictures" seem to indicate that Elvis and Burt are working together at this very moment:

"God Give Me Strength began an inspired period of songwriting with Burt Bacharach eventually yielding the twelve songs contained on the 1998 album Painted From Memory. It is a collaboration that continues to this day."

Could Elvis be referring to the Austin Powers musical ( viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9299 ) or to songs written for a future Diana Krall album ( see this topic)?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis' note from the '08 Bacharah compilation is now on wiki-

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... Collection

Text here -

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... iner_notes
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.dm.com.br/texto/99034-burt-b ... obiografia

Burt Bacharach lança autobiografia

Burt Bacharach completa 85 anos no dia 12 de maio, mas não pensa em se aposentar. Ao contrário. O maestro e compositor norte-americano, autor de grandes sucessos como Alfie e The Look of Love, está em plena atividade. Volta ao Brasil em abril para duas apresentações - a primeira no Rio, dia 18, e a segunda, dia 20, no HSBC Brasil, em São Paulo. Bacharach voltou também ao mundo dos musicais (o mais antigo, Promises, Promises, de 1968, era uma adaptação teatral do filme Se Meu Apartamento Falasse, de Billy Wilder, remontado na Broadway há três anos). Depois da estreia de Some Lovers há dois anos, em San Diego, Califórnia, ele prepara um novo musical com Elvis Costello baseado na série de cinema Austin Powers, e, em maio, lança nos EUA a autobiografia Anyone Who Had a Heart, contada pelo maestro ao jornalista Robert Greenfield, biógrafo de Timothy Leary.

Bacharach, animado, anuncia todas essas novidades por telefone. Está feliz por ter encontrado Elvis Costello, o marido da cantora canadense Diana Krall, que, desde 1995, tem sido seu parceiro musical mais constante, quando os dois escreveram juntos a canção God Give Me Strengh, tema do filme Grace of My Heart, que levou a dupla a gravar um CD inteiro, Painted from Memory (1998). Costello, fã antigo de Bacharach, foi, de algum modo, o responsável pelo revival do maestro, que, depois desse encontro, gravou o experimental At This Time (2005) ao lado do rapper e produtor Dr. Dre e do cantor Rufus Wainright e - inimaginável - com um repertório que incluía canções engajadas de um compositor essencialmente associado a canções de amor, assinadas por ele e o letrista Hal David, morto em setembro passado, aos 91 anos.

Pela primeira vez, no disco At This Time, arriscou assinar as letras das próprias composições em parceria com o veterano Tonio K. (cujas canções já foram gravadas por Al Green). O disco ganhou o Grammy de 2005 (melhor pop instrumental) e, desde então, Bacharach só faz colecionar prêmios. 'Fiquei bastante emocionado ao receber o prêmio Gershwin das mãos de Barack Obama, em maio do ano passado, na Casa Branca', diz o compositor, lembrando o apoio político que concedeu ao presidente em sua campanha pela reeleição. O democrata Bacharach, que se arrepende de não ter sido mais engajado no passado - ele escrevia canções leves em plena guerra do Vietnã -, busca recuperar o tempo perdido apostando em trabalhos mais densos, embora não despreze a grande obra musical popular construída com o parceiro Hal David, gravada por todo mundo que importa no mundo pop e do jazz, dos Beatles a Nina Simone.

'Veja, há dois anos estreamos o musical Some Lovers, que conta a história de um casal em dois difíceis momentos da vida, explorando o paralelo com o casal de O Presente dos Magos, de O. Henry', conta Bacharach. Ele destaca o libreto do parceiro Steven Sater (premiado com o Tony pelo musical O Despertar da Primavera, já montado no Brasil) e comenta: '(Hal) David se foi, mas fui presenteado com novos parceiros como Elvis (Costello), Tonio (K.) e Steven (Sater)'.

Sobre a parceria com Hal David e a briga que separou a dupla por dez anos, limitando a comunicação a conversas por meio dos respectivos advogados, Bacharach garante que conta toda a história na autobiografia, cujo conteúdo, adianta ele, vai muito além dos momentos de glória. 'Falo de meus quatro casamentos e também de minha filha Nikki, que cometeu suicídio há seis anos.' Nikki Bacharach tinha 40 anos e sofria da síndrome de Asperger. Nascida prematura do casamento do maestro com a atriz Angie Dickinson, Nikki morreu sufocada com um saco plástico.

-----------------------
Google translation:

Burt Bacharach launches autobiography

Burt Bacharach complete 85 years on May 12, but do not think of retiring. Unlike. Maestro and American composer, author of such hits as Alfie and The Look of Love, is in full swing. Back to Brazil in April for two performances - the first in Rio, the 18th, and the second, the 20th, at HSBC Brazil in Sao Paulo. Bacharach also returned to the world of musicals (the oldest, Promises, Promises, 1968, was a theatrical adaptation of the movie The Apartment, Billy Wilder, remounted on Broadway three years ago). After the debut of Some Lovers two years ago in San Diego, California, he prepares a new musical with Elvis Costello movie based on the series of Austin Powers, and in May, the U.S. launches autobiography Anyone Who Had a Heart, told by conductor to journalist Robert Greenfield, Timothy Leary biographer.

Bacharach, excited, announces all these news by phone. You are happy to have found Elvis Costello, her husband of Canadian singer Diana Krall, who since 1995 has been his most constant musical partner, when the two wrote together the song God Give Me Strengh, subject of the film Grace of My Heart, which led the pair to record an entire CD, Painted from Memory (1998). Costello, former fan of Bacharach, was somehow responsible for the revival of the conductor, who, after this encounter, recorded experimental At This Time (2005) alongside the rapper and producer Dr. Dre and singer Rufus Wainright and - unimaginable - with a repertoire that included songs by a composer engaged primarily associated with love songs, signed by him and lyricist Hal David, who died last September at age 91.

For the first time, the disk At This Time, risked signing the letters of his own compositions in partnership with veteran Tonio K. (Whose songs have been recorded by Al Green). The album won a Grammy in 2005 (best pop instrumental), and since then, only makes Bacharach collecting awards. 'I was quite thrilled to receive the Gershwin Prize from the hands of Barack Obama in May of last year, the White House, "says the composer, recalling the political support that gave the President in his campaign for reelection. Democrat Bacharach, who regrets not being more engaged in the past - he wrote songs in full light the Vietnam War - Search for lost time betting works denser, though not despise the great work popular musical built with partner Hal David, engraved by everyone that matters in the world of pop and jazz, the Beatles Nina Simone.

'See, two years ago debuted the musical Some Lovers, which tells the story of a couple in two difficult moments of life, exploring the parallels with the couple of The Gift of the Magi, O. Henry 'says Bacharach. It highlights the libretto partner Steven Sater (Tony Award-winning musical by Spring Awakening, already assembled in Brazil) and comments: '(Hal) David is gone, but I was presented with new partners like Elvis (Costello), Tonio ( K.) and Steven (Sater) '.

About the partnership with Hal David and fight that separated the pair for ten years, limiting communication to talk through their lawyers, Bacharach ensures that tells the whole story in his autobiography, whose content it said it goes far beyond the moments of glory . 'I speak of my four marriages and also my daughter Nikki, who committed suicide six years ago.' Nikki Bacharach was 40 years old and suffered from Asperger syndrome. Born premature wedding conductor with actress Angie Dickinson, Nikki died suffocated with a plastic bag.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://diariodonordeste.globo.com/mater ... go=1239975

O homem por trás de hits como "Raindrops keep fallin´ on my head" prepara autobiografia e novo musical

Aos 84 anos, prestes a lançar, enfim, sua autobiografia, "Anyone who had a heart", Burt Bacharach faz uma revelação inusitada. O supremo maestro da música pop e autor de hits inesquecíveis como "Raindrops keep fallin´ on my head", "Do you know the way to San Jose" e "I say a little prayer" - que certamente não vão faltar na sua passagem pelo País, no mês que vem - confessa que está em falta com um grupo de publicitários e seu mundo de ficção.

"Não sei dizer se criei realmente um estilo", reflete o compositor

"Não vejo ´Mad Men´ há duas temporadas. Simplesmente não consegui assisti-las por falta de tempo", diz ele por telefone, a voz rouca ecoando de Los Angeles, onde mora. "Adoro a serie, que é bem escrita e extremamente elegante em sua essência. Gosto também do fato de ela se passar entre os anos 1950 e 1960, uma época que me traz boas lembranças".

Foi nesse período que Bacharach esteve no Brasil pela primeira vez, acompanhando a mitológica Marlene Dietrich, em 1959. De lá para cá, enquanto o mundo se transformava continuamente, ele esteve por aqui outras vezes, a mais recente em 2008, sempre como referência de um estilo orquestral, de arranjos elegantes, com tons cinematográficos, que antecedeu ao rock e se manteve imune a ele e a outros estilos que surgiram depois.

"Não sei dizer se criei realmente um estilo", reflete, modesto, o homem cuja trajetória se confunde com o título de um dos seus discos mais conhecidos, "Hitmaker", de 1965. "Mas tenho minhas pequenas joias, que exibo em público com muito prazer. É o que vou fazer em mais essa ida ao Brasil, um país cuja música admiro profundamente. Vou tocar o que as pessoas querem ouvir, sempre na esperança de trazer um toque novo a cada apresentação".

Um dos mais belos hits de Bacharach, "What the world needs now is love", foi usado numa cena em que o maestro aparecia ao lado de Mike Myers no primeiro filme da série "Austin Powers", de 1997, ajudando a firmar sua imagem e sua música em gerações mais novas. Bacharach curtiu.

"Aquilo foi bem divertido. Passamos a noite subindo e descendo uma das principais avenidas de Las Vegas, em cima de um caminhão onde eu cantava e tocava piano", lembra ele. "O melhor foi que ninguém esperava que o filme se tornasse tão cultuado. E, claro, ele me apresentou a um novo público, ainda que brevemente".

Dificuldades

Mas, como ele mesmo admite, nem tudo foram flores em sua trajetória, que inclui oito Grammys e três Oscars, e também momentos difíceis, como o suicídio de Nikki Bacharach, sua filha com a atriz Angie Dickinson, em 2007. No livro, que deve chegar às lojas no segundo semestre, Bacharach garante que vai fazer um balanço de sua vida, sem exageros, mas sem omissões. "Não há nada espetacular sobre a minha vida, mas vivi muitas coisas, alegres e tristes, dentro e fora do show business. Acredito que existe uma boa história para ser contada. Desenvolvi o texto como se fosse uma música, com subidas e descidas. Espero que pelo menos meus filhos gostem". Ainda com fôlego para correr riscos, Bacharach prepara um musical para a Broadway, ao lado de Elvis Costello, uma parceria iniciada em 1998 com o disco "Painted from memory". Será a segunda incursão do maestro na Broadway, sendo a primeira o musical "Promises promises", de 1968, baseado no filme "Se meu apartamento falasse". "Fiz outras participações, mas vai ser minha segunda investida na Broadway como compositor principal.

Mas tudo ali acontece de forma muito lenta, quase dolorosa. Não sei exatamente o status atual da produção, mas estamos compondo novas músicas e tentando fazer com que se encaixem no roteiro imaginado. O espetáculo só fica pronto ano que vem. Mas já estou com frio na barriga, e isso é muito animador".

------------------------
Google translation:

The man behind hits like "Raindrops keep fallin 'on my head" and prepare new musical and autobiography

At 84 years old, about to launch, finally, his autobiography, "Anyone who had a heart", Burt Bacharach makes an unexpected revelation. The supreme pop maestro and author of unforgettable hits as "Raindrops keep fallin 'on my head", "Do you know the way to San Jose" and "I say a little prayer" - it certainly will not be lacking in its passage through Country, next month - admits that is missing with a group of advertisers and their world of fiction.

"I can not really say if I created a style" reflects the composer

"I do not see 'Mad Men' two seasons ago. Simply could not watch them for lack of time," he says by phone, his voice hoarse echoing Los Angeles, where he lives. "I love the series, which is well written and extremely elegant in its essence. I also like the fact that she is spending between 1950 and 1960, a time that brings me good memories."

It was during this period that Bacharach was in Brazil for the first time, following the mythological Marlene Dietrich in 1959. Since then, while the world turned continually, he's been here other times, most recently in 2008, when as a reference style orchestral arrangements of elegant, cinematic tones that preceded the rock and remained immune to he and other styles that emerged later.

"I can not really say if I created a style," reflects modest man whose history is intertwined with the title of one of his best-known albums, "Hitmaker", 1965. "But I have my small gems, which I display in public with much pleasure.'s What I'll do more on this trip to Brazil, a country whose music I admire deeply.'ll Play what people want to hear, always hoping to bring a touch new every presentation. "

One of the most beautiful of Bacharach hits, "What the world needs now is love," was used in a scene in which maestro appeared alongside Mike Myers in the first film of the series "Austin Powers" of 1997, helping to establish his image and his music in younger generations. Bacharach likes.

"That was really fun. Spent the night walking up and down one of the main boulevards of Las Vegas, on top of a truck where I sang and played piano," he recalls. "The best part was that no one expected the film to become so revered. And of course, he introduced me to a new audience, albeit briefly."

Difficulties

But, as he admits, not all smooth sailing in his career, which includes eight Grammys and three Oscars, and also difficult times, such as the suicide of Nikki Bacharach, daughter with actress Angie Dickinson in 2007. In the book, which should hit stores in the second half, Bacharach says he's going to take stock of his life, without exaggeration, without omissions. "There is nothing spectacular about my life, but lived many things, happy and sad, in and out of show business. Believe there is a good story to be told. Developed the text as if it were a song, with ups and downs. I hope you at least like my children. " Even with breath to take risks, Bacharach prepares a musical for Broadway, along with Elvis Costello, a partnership that began in 1998 with the album "Painted from Memory". It will be the second foray of conductor on Broadway, the first being the musical "Promises Promises", 1968, based on the movie "The Apartment." "I had other interests, but it will be my second foray into Broadway as main composer.

But there everything happens very slowly, almost painfully. Do not exactly know the current status of production, but we're writing new songs and trying to make it fit the script imagined. The show only gets ready next year. But I already have butterflies in my stomach, and that's very encouraging. "
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Burt is touring this year and plays the Royal Festival Hall on London's South Bank, on 26 June (when Elvis is playing in Cork) and 7 July. The second date is an extra show, ten days after the first one in London. Burt plays Edinburgh on 29 June, and Bournemouth on 5 July, but both artists seem to have a gap in their touring schedule from 1 - 4 July. Elvis' next show is in Thetford forest on 13 July. Diana is touring in Europe, so he could join her there, but this is an opportunity for Elvis and Burt to spend some time together in a studio in London...... and for Elvis to join Burt on stage in London on 7 July (or admittedly in Bournemouth on 5 July, but that seems less likely).

Anyone interested in Burt's RFH show on 7 July?

MOOT
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

without checking the wiki (going by incredibly statistical oriented ba brain power!) tonight is FIFTEEN YEARS to the day since ONE AMAZING NIGHT!!! the stellar night at Hammerstein Ballroom where we FIRST heard GOD GIVE ME STRENGTH performed LIVE together with BURT, and i believe THIS HOUSE IS EMPTY NOW for the first time premiere. do we need MY recording of this second song which i think was NOT included in the cd/VHS :lol: :lol: release? i KNOW we need to finally get around to sharing brotherapostle's INCREDIBLE backstage photos of the entire crew that night with heavy emphasis on EC, CHRISSIE, BURT, DIONNE, SHERYL (very buzzed) CROW and more. doc, will you upload at the wiki kindly if brother sends them your way??? thanks, benny
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis' Mums birthday is in early July ; he had us all sing Happy Birthday to her in The New Picket in Liverpool when performing there on July 5 '07. It seems more than likely , then, that he'll be spending time with her in early July this year. Of course, what could be more of a treat for her than to go to Bacharach show. RFH on July 7th sounds good....I'll have to think about it.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Someone on the Bacharach forum has already read Burt's book Anyone Who Had A Heart and spoken about it with Burt and confirms that Elvis and Burt are working on two new musicals: The "Painted From Memory" musical and the "Austin Powers Musical". ( http://www.bacharachonline.com/phpBB3/v ... 88451ab78d ).

"Burt writes in his book that he and Elvis will be composing new songs for the PAINTED FROM MEMORY musical, and also confirms that they are collaborating with Mike Myers on an all-new, original score for Myers' proposed AUSTIN POWERS musical. (Myers will write lyrics.) That Burt is committing so much energy towards musical theatre - and is committed to writing so much new music - is only for the good. I had the opportunity to briefly speak with him earlier this week, and he seemed energized by these projects and by the ongoing development of SOME LOVERS. As far as PFM and AUSTIN POWERS, I can't imagine being disappointed by new Bacharach/Costello songs - on record or onstage. Whether Lorre will be able to weave the new and old songs into a viable narrative remains to be seen. But I'd put my money on that horse, and I sincerely hope it comes to fruition. (Steven Sater is collaborating with Lorre on the book.)"
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

From this thread: http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... f=2&t=9938

On October 25 Elvis received a Honorary Doctor of Music Degree from NEC.
Bronxapostle wrote: "My son went to this talk. Elvis said he wrote 12 new songs with Burt two weeks ago."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... z2iqYqfLNf

(...)
Listening to a snippet of "God Give Me Strength," his elegant 1996 collaboration with Burt Bacharach, he told the audience that he recently wrote 12 new songs "on a little upright piano" with the 85-year-old pop composer.
(...)
Last edited by sweetest punch on Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sweetest punch wrote:From this thread: http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... f=2&t=9938

On October 25 Elvis received a Honorary Doctor of Music Degree from NEC.
Bronxapostle wrote: "My son went to this talk. Elvis said he wrote 12 new songs with Burt two weeks ago."

just to clarify, a member at an EC fan page at fbook posted this, NOT my son! but WOW!!! imagine they wrote 12 songs 2 weeks ago??? what....they settled in for a two day songwriting marathon??? way cool news. guess that Broadway musical is coming to be!!!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

ASCAP lists 10 newly registered songs written by EC and Burt Bacharach:

DON'T LOOK NOW (Work ID: 886324240)
EVERYONE'S PLAYING HOUSE (Work ID: 886324275)
HE'S GIVEN ME THINGS (Work ID: 886324374)
I LOOKED AWAY (Work ID: 886324406)
I'VE ALWAYS HAD MEN (Work ID: 886324414)
LOOK UP AGAIN (Work ID: 886324539)
PHOTOGRAPHS CAN LIE (Work ID: 886324695)
SHAMELESS (Work ID: 886324806)
TAKEN FROM LIFE (Work ID: 886324880)
YOU CAN HAVE HER (Work ID: 886325003)

Also recently added to ASCAP's site is an 11th song written by EC alone (and presumably unrelated to the above):

STRIPPING PAPER (Work ID: 886324855)
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

And No Coffee Table wrote:ASCAP lists 10 newly registered songs written by EC and Burt Bacharach:

Also recently added to ASCAP's site is an 11th song written by EC alone (and presumably unrelated to the above):

STRIPPING PAPER (Work ID: 886324855)
Cool!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Very very exciting! Sounds like they might be jettisoning a lot of the Painted From Memory songs. This gets more and more interesting. As a musicals fan, I'm drooling!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/ ... ther-Elvis

The other Elvis

(...)

Like me and Bacharah, that's not something that people can imagine ahead of time but once they've heard the album they can imagine it."

Now fans are going to imagine it a lot more as Costello is writing two musicals with Bacharach.

"We've written something like 20 songs already."
(...)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2014/03 ... rking.html

Interview: Elvis Costello on Working Again With Burt Bacharach, Working on Projects Instead of Albums

Elvis Costello is working on two new projects with Burt Bacharach, one for a Broadway show.

“We are working on two musical projects at the same time. It is fairly and kind of intense. I never would have imagined it,” Elvis tells Noise11 news.

The new project will bring to the stage the 1998 Elvis Costello and Burt Bacharach collaboration Painted From Memory. “One is an adaptation for the stage of Painted From Memory with new songs added and the other is development of another musical which will require even more new music. We are working at quite a speed. This has been a rocketship start to the year,” he said.

‘Painted From Memory’ grew from the movie Grace Of My Heart starring Illeana Douglas. Costello and Bacharach wrote and recorded the stunning God Give Me Strength for that movie.

Elvis says he no longer thinks about making albums. He now works on projects. “There is no need to make another one,” he tells Noise11. “There might be a desire. It doesn’t have anything to do with me making my living. That’s not the same of opportunities to record presenting themselves. The large repertoire of songs I am working on are not by any means complete or will they imminently be heard but they exist. The songs I am working on with Burt Bacharach are not being prepared for recording. Initially they are being prepared for performance on stage and for a musical. The production will have to reach a certain degree of success before we would think about an original cast record where we would represent at on record. That might not even more as automatic as it used to be because as you know the business of making records has changed quite a lot. Before every little thing was recorded. Now, not so much”.

When he spoke to Noise11 in 2013, Elvis said he might never make another album. Later in the year he collaborated with The Roots for Wise Up Ghost. “To make a record, literally like a mark in the log, doesn’t mean the same thing as the way you’ve known me in the past,” he said.

Hear the interview here: https://soundcloud.com/noise11dotcom-1/ ... 14-noise11
cwr

Post by cwr »

On the one hand, we've heard this before, and each time he has sworn off making records, he's followed up by making another record.

On the other hand, I've grown increasingly sympathetic to the idea that he no longer really makes his living from making studio albums, and that his touring repertoire isn't really affected one bit if he never produced any new material. (In fact, one could argue that he could probably only play songs from the first 3 albums from now on and he'd do just fine.)

STILL: it does seem implausible that, at some point, he won't once again avail himself of the easy access to both The Roots and their studio to make some more recordings.

I would imagine that it's maybe harder, in 2014, to get the budget for a fully orchestrated record like Painted From Memory without some indication that it's going to sell convincingly. I do hope that, if the musical turns out to be a hit, we also get fully-realized recordings of the new EC/BB songs sung by EC, and not JUST a "cast recording." (Although it's easy to imagine a cast recording perhaps connecting with a bigger audience, given that Costello's voice was one of the most divisive elements of PFM...
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/arts/re ... 7041365024

Elvis Costello has two projects with Burt Bacharach in the pipeline

Readers may have spotted Elvis Costello lurking in the pages of Review last week, waxing lyrically, as it were, about the new music he and a handful of colleagues have welded to words Bob Dylan ditched 47 years ago.

This will emerge as Lost on the River: The New Basement Tapes Vol 1, in November. That’s not the only endeavour that has been keeping Costello busy of late, as he explained in some detail after he had finished talking about His Bobness. Aside from being on the road this year, including in Australia, the prolific songwriter has been reunited for weeks at a time with Burt Bacharach, the veteran American craftsman with whom Costello created the album Painted From Memory in 1998.

In the past year the two men have embarked on a couple of projects in tandem. The first is a new album, to be released next year, which Costello says is “based on turning the corner from the story we told on Painted from Memory”. The other is a tad more left-field. The Bacharach-Costello songwriting partnership is behind the music of a Broadway musical based on the Mike Myers spoof spy vehicle Austin Powers. The musical has been in the pipeline for three years but there is no word on when it is likely to go into production. Costello, however, is happy with the change of pace and how their contribution to it has progressed.

“It was great of Mike to invite us into the process,” Costello says. “It’s just a great licence to write all kinds of wild songs, from heartbreaking ballads to psychedelic rock ’n’ roll songs. The lyrics have to come out of the characters, so it’s a different kind of discipline. It’s not like making a record.” If nothing else it has given Costello another opportunity to work with one of the most lauded pop songwriters in history, who at 86 shows no sign of slowing down.

“He has the energy of a man many years his junior,” says Costello. “And he still has a phenomenal gift for melody. We wrote these songs for Painted from Memory that I’m really very fond of and that people seem to still hold with a lot of affection. So to write more of them and then have something totally in contrast like Austin Powers is fantastic. We’ve written about 30 songs since November.”
Man out of Time

And No Coffee Table wrote:ASCAP lists 10 newly registered songs written by EC and Burt Bacharach:

Worth noting in passing that EC played "He's Given Me Things" on piano on his recent solo Detour tour of the UK and previously in Austria and the US. An audio recording from October 2014 was here:

Presumably the other songs may surface in due course. My guess is that Elvis and Burt will spend some of September working on these songs and on the accompanying show.

MOOT
Last edited by Man out of Time on Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Today FM radio - Elvis Costello chat with Paul McLoone: http://www.todayfm.com/player/podcasts/ ... ul_McLoone

In this interview Elvis says this about his on going collaboration with Burt Bacharach:
"Burt and I have written another 12 or more songs for Painted From Memory - The Stage Musical, which is still in development. Our collaboration is on going. We have written a number of songs for other reasons, which haven't yet been performed. But I have actually performed one recently in concert. But we haven't yet revealed them."

This seems to indicate that they are writing more new songs together besides the two musicals (Painted From Memory and Austin Powers).
Maybe for a future Diana Krall album (see this topic)?
Man out of Time

At the London Palladium show on 13 May, Elvis played a new song which he had co-written with Burt Bacharach for the Austin Powers movie.

It was called "I'll Make The World Pay". As you can judge from the title, this is a song for Dr Evil to sing, or possibly for Scott Evil (Dr Evil's son).

It was surprisingly melodic in the version that Elvis played on piano, but a stage version might have more "oomph".

MOOT