What is your favorite North song?

Pretty self-explanatory
Sour Milk Cow

What is your favorite North song?

Post by Sour Milk Cow »

Okay, don't just say "Still" until you've REALLY given it a lot of thought. Take the time to consider all of the songs, and try to pick the one you think is the absolute best.

"Still" is definitely the catchiest track, with a nice melody and a great sound. But I think my pick for favorite would have to be the closing track, "I'm In The Mood Again."
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Does Impatience count as it's a bonus track?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Okay, apart from Still the best songs are, in no order:

When It Sings
Someone Took The Words Away
I'm In The Mood Again
Impatience (if it counts)
signed with love and vicious kisses
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Well, I've already come clean on this. I love WHEN IT SINGS, FALLEN, YOU TURNED TO ME, and yeah, STILL.

But I have to stick with CAN YOU BE TRUE. That eccentric melody line is just so beautiful to me, and that double sense of "you may be my man" (and "I may be your man"[!!]) just adds a huge depth to the song-- what is more powerful, in a love affair, than the sense of anticipation and possibility (one kind of "may") changing shape into a warm granting of permission (the other kind of "may") to let go, really fall in love?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Let Me Tell You About Her is my fave on the album I think.... I've been there (who hasn't), so it says a lot to me...full of naivety and joy...brilliant!
girl out of time

my faves

Post by girl out of time »

my faves (in this order).......you left me in the dark, i´m in the mood again, still, when it sings and impatience........
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
Sour Milk Cow

Re: my faves

Post by Sour Milk Cow »

Yeah, I would say the bonus tracks definitely count, but in that case, "Impatience" is probably my top pick.

But, of the main 11 songs, I'll stick with "I'm In The Mood Again."

It's nice to see people gravitating towards so many different songs as their favorites.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I like When It Sings the best.

I also like the instrumental part at the end of Let Me Tell You About Her, after he stops singing . . .
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

The best song is When it Sings. however, I think Elvis strangles it a bit. Somebody needs to tell him to calm down a bit. I don't need him to shout. My hearing is fine. I'm only 37 yrs old (with a goatee).

My favourite track is Fallen - an example of how he CAN get a point and a beautiful song across without singing sharp ear piercing notes. :x
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

OK well ive given my new North CD a few spins. I didnt get the chance to hear it beforehand like a few of you did.

The whole thing is pretty slow and podding although I must say I dont think ive ever heard Elvis sing better - the quality of his voice is awesome!!

My fav track at the moment is When it sings - beautiful song beautifully sung .
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

What does Impatience sound like?

I really like the song "North".
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Yeah, I too wonder when we 'Mericans will get to hear "Impatience".

Well, only have listened once, I'm sorry but "Still" is the stand out track for me. Okay, so I like hooks and strong melodies and the Brodskys, so sue me!

Still, I'm sure repeated listenings -- and over repition of "Still" -- will bring out other favorites. Right now, "Fallen" and "Let Me Tell You About Her" stand out.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I like "Let Me Tell You About Her." It just captures something for me; it's all lovey-dovey and loosey-goosey while still being witty. It reminds me a bit of Cole Porter, especially rhyming "conversational" and "sensational." The copy editor in me, though, wishes someone had proofread the lyric sheet a bit more thoroughly.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

i've only heard the North songs for the first time at his wednesday town hall show~except for Still for which i've seen the video via the internet. to be honest, i have to say that as of now, there's no one North song that stands out in my mind. the only thing i remember clearly is just hearing "still.....still...." (but i liked the video for it.)
i thought that several songs were reminicent of PFM, also the Juliet Letters and ATUB. i don't have it straight wich songs sre which yet. i haven't gotten my North cd yet. i pre-ordered it from amazon like 6 weeks ago (along with the new batch of reissues) but haven't received them yet. supposedly they shipped yesterday.
so, like i said, i've only heard the songs for the first time last night and i do recall 2 that i really did like but there were a bunch that were~oh~corny?
"i want to kiss you in a rush
and whisper things to make you blush"
i don't know exactly how to put it....the songs were fine songs and i'd listen to Elvis sing the alphabet but....these new songs were so unElvis. am i disappointed? nope! was i expecting something else? no, not really. maybe just in substance. there's no denying that these new songs are very simple and stripped down and Elvis is always so......complicated!
but the emotion and the honesty and sincerity....and the VOICE are all still there!!
he's so cool. i just really love the fact that he makes the music that HE wants to make....and shares it with us.

oh, one other observation and someone correct me if i'm off the track here (I KNOW SOMEONE WILL!!!) :lol: in listening to the words at the show and assuming they were played in order (i think you guys who went said they were) it sounded to me like they were much more about the love lost than the new love found. and having one listen, i'm sure this might change, but i thought a few of those "old love" songs were kind of sweet (painfully so) but lovingly. almost regretful. what do you think?
I'm not angry anymore....
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

GOT ONE!

The song North is good, but this one's a RINGER!

When It Sings.

After a couple spins, this song gives me that smile I can't help but smile, and that feeling that you're happy enough to cry, but you don't cry cuz you're a dude, so you don't. I really really like this song.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Doesn't anyone else like "When It Sings"? :(
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

i love when it sings........but to me.........right now...........n°1 song on north is a tie between you left me in the dark & i´m in the mood again
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

I agree with the majority, so far. When It Sings.

I've been listening to the album non-stop for 2 days, but when I turn it off and try to recall it in my mind, for some reason the only thing that comes to mind is "The Favorite Hour". Am I nuts?
Danny

Post by Danny »

You Turned To Me is easily the best - love Steve's Eric Satie touches, and that wierd 'it's never worth the price you pay' bit.

It's so beautiful - up there with the best of his career.

I like In The Mood Again - but can anyone get the track North to actually play? I can't, even though it appeared to download okay. It's driving me bananas.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

I only got it on Thursday, and have been through it all the way 3 or 4 times, but so far my favorite is "Can You Be True?"

Such beautiful, quiet singing. Gives me chills.

If I were the type that needed to be coaxed into bed, that song would do it.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on