EC's Dublin Home For Sale

Pretty self-explanatory
DrJ

EC's Dublin Home For Sale

Post by DrJ »

Although I didn't see the article myself, there was a piece in the Sunday Tribune property section today announcing that EC's Dublin home is up for sale. There was a pic of the house as well, and the article pointed out that planning permission had been granted for some big extension and recording studio.

Couple of things: It's sad, really. Must be a result of the divorce. It's made official what I've complained about elsewhere: he's dumped Dublin. Although I'm so disenfranchised with this town at the minute I don't blame him.

More interestingly why don't we all pool our money and buy it? No? The option still exists for me to go to a viewing of the property, which is tempting but unhealthy. Could be fun though.

What to do...

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

well dr j, that's a cool bit of info!
yeah, i suppose unhealthy also...but i'd go in a minute!

(and if you do, don't forget your camera so we can get a look too!)
I'm not angry anymore....
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

We could all start a commune there together! :wink:
Misha

Post by Misha »

DrJ,
You know if you were looking for an excuse, it would be solely that you had to go to take photographs for the likes of all of us....what else could you do? It would be your duty....

:D
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Wait DrJ and I'll come with you.

No, no, no, no! That's just creepy. What's the asking price? It's up in the Dublin mountains, isn't it? :lol: Elvis leaving his ancestral homeland? Never! How long before he starts telling us he feels Canadian because his third cousin (twice removed) was from there...
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

We should pitch in and buy it - definitely!

I've got a £2 coin burning a hole in my pocket and I'm not afraid to spend it! I'm willing to put it £5.

DrJ - you should get an appointment and do the full Gross Lloydman - "Now Whooooo'd live in a place like this.."
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Shouldn't the Arts Council buy it and turn it into a shrine to one of Britain's finest ever musicians like they did with John Lennons house in Liverpool....then again, the government probably won't seeing as they committed the HEINOUS crime of letting Seamus Heaney's house in Belfast get turned into a through road! :cry:
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

laughingcrow wrote:Shouldn't the Arts Council buy it and turn it into a shrine to one of Britain's finest ever musicians like they did with John Lennons house in Liverpool....then again, the government probably won't seeing as they committed the HEINOUS crime of letting Seamus Heaney's house in Belfast get turned into a through road! :cry:
Nah, they usually do that with childhood homes, and besides, Elvis isn't dead yet. I'm still trying to find out where his old house was when he lived up here. Anyone have a clue?

Did they really to that to Heaney's house? Shocking.
IStandAccused

Cait & E.'s former home

Post by IStandAccused »

PlaythingOrPet wrote:
laughingcrow wrote:Shouldn't the Arts Council buy it and turn it into a shrine to one of Britain's finest ever musicians like they did with John Lennons house in Liverpool....then again, the government probably won't seeing as they committed the HEINOUS crime of letting Seamus Heaney's house in Belfast get turned into a through road! :cry:
Nah, they usually do that with childhood homes, and besides, Elvis isn't dead yet. I'm still trying to find out where his old house was when he lived up here. Anyone have a clue?

Did they really to that to Heaney's house? Shocking.
**Yes, the house he shared with Cait was in the Dublin Hills of Stepaside. The house overlooks Dublin and is very well known by the locals. Cait will be moving into a new home understandably. Too many memories in the Stepaside residence.
*"Common sense is not so common."*Voltaire
For those who speak French, "Le sens common n'est pas si commun."
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

no, no, no, you've GOT to go see the house. for ME. Because i need to see more house interiors, to add to my mental stash for my interior design career.

i'd go in a minute. does that make me creepy? so be it.

i don't real real live person role play though. now THAT's creepy. (Live Journal can be a very strange place.)

it's just a house. it's not like going thru the underwear drawer. once you put it up for sale, the house is fair game to be looked at and picked over.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Plaything...I always thought it could have been on the Wirral, 'cos isn't that were he says his grandad was from, and I don't recognise that style of iron railing/porch on the Brutal Youth pics.

Is EC a woolyback?????????????????????
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Belfast wouldn't have been Heaney's childhood home either, cos he was from the Derry countryside. Never knew it was Stepaside, never heard of it, actually, but always imagined it was further out of the city. Quite near to the Beckett territory of Foxrock. Got a weblink to the estate agent's site? I say go, you're a well-heeled young doctor, they'll take you seriously. Time for a viewing! Especially with a digital camera.
IStandAccused

Stepaside

Post by IStandAccused »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Belfast wouldn't have been Heaney's childhood home either, cos he was from the Derry countryside. Never knew it was Stepaside, never heard of it, actually, but always imagined it was further out of the city. Quite near to the Beckett territory of Foxrock. Got a weblink to the estate agent's site? I say go, you're a well-heeled young doctor, they'll take you seriously. Time for a viewing! Especially with a digital camera.
Yes, it is Stepaside. My mate BP Fallon was a frequent guest. Not hard to read up on Stepaside. Has a lot of history and folklore legend. The house is not occupied as of late so I don't think there would be any harm in one of you taking a peek. The local pub people all know the house. I'm sure Dr. J. knows Stepaside...
blp

EC's Dublin House for Sale

Post by blp »

I read that he moved his ma from Liverpool to Dublin last year to be near him in her declining years. Will he now move her to NY ?
I chated to EC's dad at the D Krall show at Kenwood (in London) recently; he said that EC had spent time with cousins in Vancouver recently who were originally from Liverpool so he felt quite at home there.
Now I try to be amused ...
IStandAccused

Re: EC's Dublin House for Sale

Post by IStandAccused »

blp wrote:I read that he moved his ma from Liverpool to Dublin last year to be near him in her declining years. Will he now move her to NY ?
I chated to EC's dad at the D Krall show at Kenwood (in London) recently; he said that EC had spent time with cousins in Vancouver recently who were originally from Liverpool so he felt quite at home there.
I would assume it would be Canada before New York. I would think that he will keep a place in NYC and in Canada- that is if and when the wedding takes place. As for now, he is on the road all the time and spending most of his time in Manhattan when he is not touring. It looks like he will be touring a lot in the upcoming months. That should make most of you die hard fans pretty happy, yes???
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Here's the auctioneers web page for this enticing addition to anyone's investments.
http://www.lisney.com/showsearch.asp?Fo ... &RSID=1716
whtesde

Post by whtesde »

Pretty red trim on the roof there...
blp

EC's Home Base

Post by blp »

I always had the (sneaky) feeling that the anti-London/pro-Dublin stance smoke-screened a more pragmatic rationale; the 0% tax rate that the Irish government levy on "artists". He would have to be deeply in love to swap this for the 50% rate in Canada; NY it is then. All this on top of an expensive divorce (hence the house sale); no wonder he's going to be on the road (a la Dylan) from now until he drops.
Now I try to be amused ...
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Did anyone else notice that the auction date is the same as his release date for North in the states? :?

It looks like a lovely property. Sad that he leaves so much behind there and that he chooses to leave Dublin. But again, a lovely home and grounds.

It would make a divine commune for us all. We should pitch in and buy it. :wink:
Misha

Post by Misha »

Ok, now don't you all overlook the words "hard tennis court". Is anyone else getting a great visual of Elvis playing tennis....I am, and wierdly enough he is still in his suit doing it...

Nice house....I wish I had a relective lake.....

Too bad about the divorce and the sale, but how much time did he really spend there anyway?

Whether he goes to the Vancouver area or NY, he is closer to me than he was before!
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

all excellent points, misha!

but dr j, c'mon!!! it's too easy!

or maaaybee.....mr. martin or mr. john foyle?
I'm not angry anymore....
pip_52

Re: EC's Dublin House for Sale

Post by pip_52 »

IStandAccused wrote: It looks like he will be touring a lot in the upcoming months. That should make most of you die hard fans pretty happy, yes???

It would make me happy if he would add more US dates . . . I feel neglected. So what if I got to see him 3 times last fall. That was a whole year ago!

I ask far too much . . . :oops:
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

oh martin foyle, BLESS YOU!!!

can't get there to see it myself, but i get to READ all about it. thank you.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

It does look a lot like a Pontin's holiday home, but what a view!

LaughingC - he lived in West Derby as far as I know. His mother lived on that extremely well-known student thoroughfare of Smithdown Road. I bet you bought many a tin of baked beans there, eh?!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.lisney.com/showsearch.asp?Fo ... &RSID=1716

Update on this link sez
`Sale Type: Private Treaty
Price: €1,300,000 `

which means it didn`t go to auction , selling for above figure.

Not a great price in Dublin property terms ; it`s relatively remote location didn`t help.