Punch The Clock Version
58%
"Rockabilly" Demo Version
42%

Total votes: 19

cbartal

Everyday: PTC Version Vs. Rockabilly Version

Post by cbartal »

It seems to me that there is a certain degree of animosity towards PTC, including the poppy Everyday I Write the Book. I personally think it is a perfect pop song. The original rockabilly version (for lack of a better word), is ok, but I think the melody during "I'm giving you a longing look", is a rip off of an old song or TV commercial I can't recall. I just feel that the album version is perfect. I don't think the production dates it at all. But I'd llike to hear some other's views on this, hence, the poll.
Misha

Post by Misha »

I don't give a hoot about the production controversy...it was great the way he did it, a pop song, not a Renoir, but really good. It has a good feel. The new version is void of some of the feeling, or at least that's what I project onto it....maybe I just don't handle change well.....PTC!
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Lotta bad feeling about Everyday... but I really like it. Similar to Mickey Jupp's 'Switchboard Susan' or Nick Lowe's 'When I write the book' in that lyrically everything has a double meaning....
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I greatly prefer the alternative version on the bonus disc.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

Noise - I know you must know what I'm talking about. That "I'm giving you a longing look" part in the demo version. That is so derivative of something I can't put my finger on. Can you place it?
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

I think I answered my own question.

"I'm giving you a longing look"

"What do you get when you fall in love?"

Although, I swear that there is a famous jingle with the same melody.

What a great message board. I'm having a great exchange with myself!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I love the rockin' version that opens Disc 2 of the reissue.
the poisoner

Post by the poisoner »

i concur.
two of the lamest are 'everyday...' and 'not the only flame...'
anything is better than the ptc version . and i am a big fan of ptc
oh, i useta be disgusted
now i try to be amused
bobster

Post by bobster »

I think the non-album version (which I think EC described as having a Merseybeat kind of a sound) is FAR preferable to the album version, which I actually think is one of EC's weaker recordings. Way too slick. The song, I actually like -- though I like Nick Lowe's similar "When I Write the Book" even more.

Actually, I like the song that probably inspired both, Rodgers & Hart's "I Could Write a Book" even more, still.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yeah, I forgot to mention that the alternate version of "Every Day I Write The Book" is in no way a 'rockabilly' version.
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

BlueChair wrote:Yeah, I forgot to mention that the alternate version of "Every Day I Write The Book" is in no way a 'rockabilly' version.

Yeah, I know, I just couldn't put my finger on it when EC had said Merseybeat. I just pulled Rackabilly out of my ass, and like all things that originate from there, it stunk.

I still think that the album version is a hell of a lot better, and a hell of a lot more daring than people are giving it credit for. I think it's wonderfully produced. Listen to it along side other pop songs of the same era. It's so well layered, and as in all most of EC's best, he reworked the melody from the demo until he got something thouroughly original.