03. Watching The Detectives
04. Everyday I Write The Book
05. The River In Reverse - including line from I Don't Want To Be A Soldier
06. Down Among The Wines And Spirits
07. From Sulfur To Sugar Cane
08. Alison
09. Pump It Up
10. Radio Sweetheart / Jackie Wilson Said
11. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
12. The Scarlet Tide

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... 04&u_rss=1&

(...)
But the excitement at his Friday night concert was doubled thanks to opening act Elvis Costello.

The two Rock and Roll Hall of Famers treated 7,000 fans at the Qwest Center Omaha to a terrific show that mixed timeless classics with new material.

Costello, 53, is touring solo for the first time in 12 years. He warmed the stage with a 50-minute solo acoustic set that was solid from the start.

Opening with "(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes," he followed with several of his greatest hits, including "Watching the Detectives," "Everyday I Write the Book," "Pump It Up" and "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding."

Just as enjoyable as his classics were newer songs, including "From Sulfur to Sugar Cane" and "Down Among the Wine and Spirits."

During crowd favorite "Alison," he stepped back from the mike, belting out, "My aim is true."

Costello, who hasn't performed in Omaha since 1982, also sang part of Van Morrison's "Jackie Wilson Said" and closed with "The Scarlet Tide" from the Civil War film "Cold Mountain."

He retooled that song with a line that referenced the war in Iraq: "Admit you lied, and bring the boys back home," Costello crooned, drawing cheers from the crowd.
(...)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Ha'Penny Millionaire

Post by Ha'Penny Millionaire »

Hello, board, it's been a long time. I haven't posted for probably close to two years (had to re-register to get a login password). Anyhow, I'm an Omaha guy, so here's my take on the show:

I was worried that Elvis' voice would be worn (in view of the HRC birthday performance in NYC on Thursday evening). He was in superb voice.

Set a bit short (not complaining).

The last time EC (and the Attractions) performed in my hometown was August of 1982 -- I was 18 and in the house. It was great to see Elvis in Omaha again -- 25 years.

I'll post more again soon. Nice to be back.

HPM
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

And welcome back!
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Santi

Post by Santi »

Ha'Penny Millionaire wrote:The last time EC (and the Attractions) performed in my hometown was August of 1982 -- I was 18 and in the house. It was great to see Elvis in Omaha again -- 25 years.
I'll stop complaining about how rarely he plays in Barcelona...
johnfoyle

Re: Dylan, Elvis - Omaha,NE Oct. 26 '07

Post by johnfoyle »

Man out of Time

Re: Dylan, Elvis - Omaha,NE Oct. 26 '07

Post by Man out of Time »

Review from November 1, 2007 by L. Kent Wolgamott in the Lincoln Journal Star:

"Bob Dylan, Elvis Costello, Qwest Center, Oct. 26

Put simply, Elvis Costello was fantastic, playing solo opening for Bob Dylan. Dylan, with his five-piece band, was dull.
Costello ran through a surprising mixture of songs, both early and relatively recent. Always a charming devil, he led the audience in some call-and-response, played great guitar, worked the microphone like a pro to vary his songs and proved to be a great crooner and a great rock singer, switching easily from mode to mode.

His show’s going to be on my best of 2007 for sure. Dylan’s definitely is not.

Dylan’s show was boring. That was a surprise, since he and the same band played an exciting, excellent show at Pershing Center almost exactly a year ago.

But last Friday night, there was almost zero electricity generated on stage, and the blues-groove arrangments sounded very much the same, making things, well, boring.

Unlike many Dylan “name that tune” concerts, it wasn’t hard to figure out most of the songs. But, with the exception of “Highway 61 Revisited” and the closing “Blowin’ in the Wind,” there wasn’t much new delivered in the way the songs were played — and there was little to no excitement throughout.

Dylan’s concerts are usually referred to as part of his “Never Ending Tour.”

Friday night, the two hours were a “Never Ending Show.”

Finally, the Qwest Center crowd numbered about 5,000. It could have easily fit into Pershing — proving, if nothing else, that just because a concert’s at the Qwest, it’s not a guaranteed sellout."

MOOT