Elvis solo in Macomb, IL, Oct. 15, 2007

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis solo in Macomb, IL, Oct. 15, 2007

Post by sweetest punch »

http://eaglepublications.com/article.ph ... per=Macomb

Elvis Costello to make rare solo performance in Macomb on Oct. 15

MACOMB - In an unprecedented move, the Bureau of Cultural Affairs (BCA) at WIU has secured a rare concert appearance by iconic singer and songwriter Elvis Costello at Western Hall on Monday, Oct. 15.

After a 12-year hiatus from the solo-touring scene, music legend Elvis Costello is attracting the attention of listeners across the country.

This once-in-a-lifetime concert is sure to captivate an audience of all ages. Costello will make a slight detour from his current nationwide tour with Bob Dylan and will appear at WIU for his inaugural performance in Western Hall.

Costello established himself in the music industry as one of the most prominent and influential guitarists and songwriters in the past 28 years. His laid-back, yet progressive, musical style fully reflects the wide variety of genres, which have influenced his career. Costello’s refreshingly distinct fashion blends the musical elements of Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, No Doubt, Dusty Springfield, Chet Baker and the gospel vocal group The Fairfield Four. His uniquely characteristic sound has solidified his place in the archives of the music world for decades to come.

Many recognize Costello from his memorable performances with The Attractions, The Imposters and various concert appearances with pianist, Steve Nieve. Additionally, Elvis Costello has performed and collaborated with Burt Bacharach, Paul McCartney, Roy Nathanson and The Charles Mingus Orchestra. In 2003, he began a successful collaborative songwriting effort with his wife, jazz pianist and singer Diana Krall.

In 2003, Elvis Costello and The Attractions were immortalized into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. As an award-winning artist, Costello never ceases to amaze audiences everywhere. He received his first Grammy in 1998 for his song “I Still Have That Other Girlâ€
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.wiu.edu/newsrelease.sphp?release_id=5687

BCA Presents Elvis Costello October 15 in WIU's Western Hall

MACOMB, IL - - In an unprecedented move, the Bureau of Cultural Affairs at Western Illinois University has secured a rare concert appearance by iconic singer/songwriter Elvis Costello at Western Hall on Monday, Oct. 15.

After a 12 year hiatus from the solo touring scene, music legend Elvis Costello is attracting the attention of listeners across the country.

This once-in-a-lifetime concert is sure to captivate an audience of all ages. On the third Monday of October, Costello will make a slight detour from his current nationwide tour with Bob Dylan and will appear on the Macomb campus of Western Illinois University for his inaugural performance in Western Hall.

Costello established himself in the music industry as one of the most prominent and influential guitarists and songwriters in the past 28 years. His laid-back, yet progressive, musical style fully reflects the wide variety of genres which have influenced his career. Costello’s refreshingly distinct fashion blends the musical elements of Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, No Doubt, Dusty Springfield, Chet Baker, and the gospel vocal group The Fairfield Four. His uniquely characteristic sound has solidified his place in the archives of the music world for decades to come.

Many recognize Costello from his memorable performances with The Attractions, The Imposters, and various concert appearances with pianist, Steve Nieve. Additionally, Elvis Costello has performed and collaborated with Burt Bacharach, Paul McCartney, Roy Nathanson, and The Charles Mingus Orchestra. In 2003, he began a successful collaborative songwriting effort with his wife, jazz pianist and singer, Diana Krall.

In 2003, Elvis Costello and The Attractions were immortalized into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. As an award winning artist, Costello never ceases to amaze audiences everywhere. He received his first Grammy in 1998 for his song “I Still Have That Other Girlâ€
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone going?
Richard

Post by Richard »

I'll be there.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

ok richard...looking forward to your setlist when you get home please!
Richard

Post by Richard »

I will do my best. Usually too involved to write at the gig, so will have to trust my failing memory.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Forget the songs - we just want to know what kind of footwear Elvis sports.
Richard

Post by Richard »

As long as his shoes match I can do that, otherwise more than one thing is more than I am able usually able to reacall!
geoffcowgill

Post by geoffcowgill »

I'm hoping for something pretty special tonight. Apart from the Clinton birthday party, this is Costello's only headlining show this season, is it not? I'll try to take down the setlist as best I can, but some of these new unreleased songs may give me trouble.
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

sweetest punch wrote:Costello established himself in the music industry as one of the most prominent and influential guitarists
Hmmm..
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Welcome geoffcowgill!

As for the new songs I'm just dying to hear what 'Macomb ' will rhyme with in 'Sulfur...........
Richard

Post by Richard »

Just walked in so this is my best chance for recollection. I apologize for any errors or omissions. Or anything out of sequence. I hope geoffcowgill can correct any mistakes.

Close to two hour set. Great show!

(The Angels Want To Wear My) Red Shoes
Either Side Of the Same Town
Veronica
River In Reverse
Down Among the Wines And Spirits
Our Little Angel
New Amsterdam/You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away
Eve (My title, a song written with Loretta Lynn I think)
Bedlam
Country Darkness
Less Than Zero
Alison/The Other Room?
Radio Sweetheart/Jackie Wilson Said
I Want You
Uncomplicated/Not fade Away

From Sulfur to Sugar Cane (’all the pretty girls from Macomb/Want to take me home’)
Radio Radio
Almost Blue (on piano)
What’s So Funny About Peace Love And Understanding?
Invasion Hit Parade
The Scarlet Tide
geoffcowgill

Post by geoffcowgill »

I think Richard only left out a couple of songs. The order I have is:

Red Shoes
Either Side of the Same Town
Veronica
River in Reverse
Down Among the Wines and Spirits
Our Little Angel
New Amsterdam / You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
the Loretta Lynn song, "Hello, my name is Eve..."
Bedlam (these two were referred to as old Testament and new Testament songs)
From Sulfar to Sugar Cane
Less Than Zero
Country Darkness
Radio Sweetheart / Jackie Wilson Said
Alison / In Another Room (I don't know if this would be considered a medley, but there was not pause between them, as if he was dispatching "Alison" to say "There's the song YOU wanted, now here's the song I wanted to do")
Uncomplicated / Not Fade Away
new Rosanne Cash co-write (debut?), the chorus goes something like "There is hope/After there is only faith/Love like a wraith/Never made me afraid..."
-encore-
Almost Blue / The Thrill Is Gone
American Gangster Time
I Want You
Radio Radio
Invasion Hit Parade
Peace, Love & Understanding
The Scarlet Tide

It was a fantastic show. The only complaint I have is it could have easily been twice as long. One of the shortest two hours I've ever spent. I'll probably report in more detail later.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Thanks for the info guys. So interesting that Invasion Hit Parade has been making a comeback. I don't think he's played it live since the Come Back in a Million Years tour back in 91?
geoffcowgill

Post by geoffcowgill »

It was amazing. It really works phenomenally well in this stripped-down acoustic arrangement. It may just have been the highlight of the show. When else has he played it recently?

It's interesting that what was the overt conceit, the metaphor of the song back in '91 has now become the more literal focus. What I mean is, I always assumed the militaristic invasion imagery was a symbolic background to talk about the heartless music industry. But now, it is performed with a kind of inverse emphasis, that the song is primarily about the militaristic imagery, and not the soullessness of, say, Warner Bros.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Tiny Steps

Post by Tiny Steps »

johnfoyle wrote:Welcome geoffcowgill!

As for the new songs I'm just dying to hear what 'Macomb ' will rhyme with in 'Sulfur...........
The line was "All the pretty girls in Macomb want to take me home."
Tiny Steps

More Macomb info

Post by Tiny Steps »

For the sake of completeness I'll report that Almost Blue was played on a piano, and was the only non-guitar song.

Also, apparently Elvis arrived in Macomb by air yesterday afternoon which must have been interesting for him, since the "airport" in Macomb isn't much more than a strip for cropdusters.

By the way, the only disappointing aspect of last night's show was the very poor attendance. The venue was only about one quarter full, not much more than 300-500 people I would say. It was a wierd choice for Elvis. The town of Macomb is very small, so there's not much to draw from there, and unforunately Elvis isn't exactly a college-student favorite. It was so empty that the MC invited everyone to fill up the front seats and move into the middle to make it seem fuller.
Tiny Steps

More stuff

Post by Tiny Steps »

After the show Elvis came out and signed autographs for a goup of about 20-30 folks (including me) hanging around the tour bus. This was the first time I've ever done this (in 29 years of going to Elvis concerts) and I'm happy to report that I got a picture with him and he signed my copy of "Get Happy".

By the way, the first time I saw him was December 24th 1978 at the Dominion on Tottenham Court Road in London supported by John Cooper-Clarke and Richard Hell and the Voidoids. I was thinking about that while he sang "Almost Blue" last night and what a long way he's come geographically and musically since those days. The same goes for me. I was a teenager living in London, and know I'm forty-something and standing there with my daughter and step-son, both of whom attend Western Illinois University (the site of the concert).
geoffcowgill

Post by geoffcowgill »

Yeah, I got my "Delivery Man" CD booklet signed. The guy in front of me had his bicycle signed.

Regarding the make-up of the audience, I heard a girl say as she was leaving, "We didn't know any of the songs." What could he have played that she would have known if she didn't know any of these? "Everyday I Write the Book" or "Pump It Up." Was she expecting "Hound Dog" and "Heartbreak Hotel"? It was a strange place for Elvis to be, but I'm certainly glad he was there.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Comments on new songs from Rozy on listserv-

new song written with Loretta Lynn--Pardon My Madam (EC's title--I
think he probably meant Pardon Me Madam)--clever lyrics based on Adam & Eve
& Eden. "Pardon me madam. My name is Eve. I think it's time for you to
leave."
Lots of references to apples and snakes and being torn from Adam's
side--ouch.

new song written with Rosanne Cash (not sure of the title and it's not
on his list, but it was inspired by his Catholic upbringing and his
childhood memories of St John of the Cross Church, which recently closed
its doors)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://media.www.westerncourier.com/med ... 3158.shtml

ImageImage
Media Credit: Steve Scapardine
Elvis Costello told some of his personal tales from when he first hit the music scene at Western Hall Monday.

Western Courier

Hall of Famer Elvis Costello proves his aim is true

Scott Waldyn

Issue date: 10/19/07 Section: The Edge

Senior English major Adam Szalowski said he has waited a long time to see a quality musician at Western Illinois University. Monday night at Western Hall, Szalowski's four-year disappointment ended.

Elvis Costello, who took a break from touring with Bob Dylan, entertained concertgoers for nearly two hours and left fans wanting more.

"I've been waiting for four years to get good acts here," Szalowski said after the show. "(Costello) is one of the best musicians of our time, our generation. He has the best voice."

The much-anticipated show, which was organized by the Bureau of Cultural Affairs, was not quite filled to capacity but still left fans with an overall positive feeling about the performance.

The legend wasted no time on introductions when he first walked onto the stage, hopping right into playing "(Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes," one of his iconic songs. Costello played both classic and new songs during his lengthy performance, including "Veronica" and some newly written ones that are, as of yet, unfinished.

The London-born artist also tried very hard to engage the audience by encouraging them to clap and sing along. He told anecdotes and stories from his life between songs.

"When I was starting out playing the guitar, I couldn't get a gig anywhere. And the only place we could get to play was a lonely-hearts club. It wasn't that famous one that The Beatles sang at," Costello humorously reflected. "It was kind of about the worst gig you could have if you were a novice musician, because a lonely-hearts club by definition is filled with people who are too shy to do just about everything, including clap."

A little over an hour into the show, Costello left the stage. However, he was given a boisterous standing ovation for an invitation to make an encore performance, which he gladly accepted. For the next hour, he was given several subsequent ovations to continue playing until he appeared too weary to continue.

The only problem that arose with the concert was near the end, when one of the speakers seemed to experience some technical difficulties, blasting a heavy amount of static and other tinny noises. Nonetheless, the majority of those in attendance seemed to be very pleased and entertained, smiling on their way out.

"I thought the show was amazing. It's one of those things I never thought I would see on campus," said Joe Wagener, sophomore broadcasting major. "It was really cool watching a musician that was so comfortable with every song he played. It was just amazing to see a true legend at work."
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis solo in Macomb, IL, Oct. 15, 2007

Post by johnfoyle »

Macomb remembers Elvis ; what a pity a recording of this hasn't surfaced .

http://media.www.westerncourier.com/med ... 3240.shtml

WIU needs bigger bands

Issue date: 4/4/08

(extract)

Put down your coffee and dig out your tape of "Hangin' Tough." For the second time in our lives, New Kids on the Block are touring.

CNN.com reports group members Donnie Wahlberg, Jordan Knight, Jonathan Knight, Joey McIntyre and Danny Wood are recording a new album and planning a tour, both of which will combine classic NKOTB hits with new material written by Wahlberg, Knight and McIntyre.

The reunion got the WC staff thinking about how recently, stripper-loving rap artist T-Pain performed at Western, proving attracting big names to our campus is not impossible. If Western can't "Hang Tough" with the bad boys from Boston, perhaps the UUB and BCA can look into bringing other notable acts here.

In 1997, bands Eve 6 and Third Eye Blind performed at Western Hall to a full house. Both bands were wildly successful at the time and probably demanded a high price to play.

The major musical act for this school year was Elvis Costello. While the event attracted a decent audience, it seems more students would rather see live music at a bar. No offense to Costello, but he is not an artist typically heard at parties.

Though the BSA used nearly all of its budget to bring T-Pain to Western, we feel spending money to bring one big name performer to Western each year is better than financing 20 smaller groups.