Less Than Zero
Radio Sweetheart / Jackie Wilson Said
Alison
In Another Room
Peace Love and Understanding
thomoz

his band - was there one?

Post by thomoz »

Did he play solo or was there accompaniment?

Did you like the new song, and did it resemble anything you've heard from EC before?
bicyclops

Post by bicyclops »

At the Atlanta Record show this morning, thomoz spotted my EC shirt from last night and struck up a conversation. After identifying ourselves as posters here, I answered his questions in person.

For the record:

Solo, just EC with his guitars.

johnfoyle posted the mp3 of "Wine & Spirits" from Nashville in another thread here. Thanks, John.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://media.www.ecorsair.com/media/sto ... 9441.shtml

Dylan and Costello deliver memorable performances

By: Joshua Encinias
Posted: 9/26/07

"Why didn't I risk bringing my digital recorder?" reverberated through my thoughts as I was being seated for the surprise of all surprises. You see, Ticketmaster sold me two tickets for non-existent seats. Their mistake landed me front and center for Bob Dylan with special guest, Elvis Costello in Duluth, Georgia on September 22.

Seated around me were fellow fans who tought they would be enjoying the show at a much further distance. The two women behind me, one of them being wheel chair bound, were almost rejected their rightful seating due to the area's lack of wheelchair accessibility. Don't believe for a second that this stopped the seemingly bionic woman from pulling herself out of the chair, struggling up the steps (with assistance - Georgians aren't completely insensitive) to her seat.

The guy directly to my left has seen Bob Dylan 27 times. At his first show in 1986, Dylan headlined over the Grateful Dead with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers as his backing band. We talked for thirty minutes about the stage layout and Dylan's performance.

This man could tell no lies. The super fan knew every cue Dylan would make, including his performance routine of jumping from guitar to piano.

The lights dimmed and my limbs went limp. My focus was all over the room, yet struggling to pay attention as the concert began.

Elvis Costello trotted on stage in full Grand Ole Opry regalia, with his bootlace tie and shiny boots. He was "Down among the wine and spirits," much like the new song proclaims, making reference to his slot as the concert opener.

Costello treated the crowd to a mixed bag of his oldest and most recent songs.

"Alison," from his first record had the entire crowd singing (or at least humming) along. Latecomers to the Gwinett Center missed out on Costello's unique sense of humor in his retelling of the Christmas story, "The three wise men brought the baby Jesus gold, frankincense, and Cheney - be careful what you wish for."

Costello left the stage to the very song he had just performed, and apparently recorded.

The crowd gave him an overwhelming standing ovation.

Elvis Costello was a perfect warm-up for the night's headliner. But in my opinion, he was the highlight of the evening.

Robert Zimmerman, otherwise known as Bob Dylan, is on what seems to be his final trek through the States. There were about ten years between his last two albums, and with Saturday night's performance, it seems as the pencil thin mustached, 66 year-old renaissance cowboy's voice has gone the way of the buffalo.

But on his guitar and piano, Dylan was playing a different and clearer tune.

Dylan's fingers were cool and painstaking in every song hammered out on his traveling piano. Dylan and company played twangy versions of his classics such as, "Watching the River Flow," and the newer "Thunder on the Mountain."

In spite of the 20,000 in attendance, Dylan kept to himself most of the performance, only speaking up to introduce his band and make gestures to the audience at the end of his performance.

I kept expecting Costello to appear and have a duet with his barnstorming buddy.

Apparently it wasn't meant to be, as the encore came around with no Costello at Dylan's side. What we were given in his place was Jimmy Hendrix's version of "All Along the Watchtower." For the first and last time, the crowd had some rock and roll to wheel around in their hands.

Dissatisfied fans, heard throughout the bathroom stalls, had the same complaints people have had with Dylan shows for the last 40 years: you can't understand what the man is saying.

There wasn't much to complain about out on my end of the stage.

I had just listened to one of the most respected men in music (Dylan) and the hardest working (Costello) play for three of the shortest hours of my life. Costello could have tacked on a few more songs, and Dylan could be 20 years younger, but only half of my gripes are feasible - so I'll take what I can get.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From listserv-

I have uploaded FLACs from this show to Mediafire. Use the following
link and navigate to the folder:
Mediafire Music folder:

http://tinyurl.com/37vkpb

I have put the incorrect title on the following tracks:
- track 8: should be Radio Sweetheart / Jackie Wilson Said
- track 9: should be Alison / In Another Room

Artwork is available on the wiki. This is also available on Dime
(thanks to JohnH).

Hope this helps quench some of those thirsts.

Cheers, JohnE