Elvis/Steve N. Duo show -Charlotte, NC 9/11/07

Pretty self-explanatory
migdd

Elvis/Steve N. Duo show -Charlotte, NC 9/11/07

Post by migdd »

Just got our tickets for this show (on the release date of the MAIT deluxe edition) and am thrilled that Mrs. migdd and I have received upgraded seats in row 3 of the orchestra pit, a scant few feet from the stage!!! I've already begun to salivate and have put myself on a liquid diet of vodka and orange juice in order to remain hydrated until the date of the concert. Here's hoping that the entire length of the next EC and the Imposters album (aka "CD" - welcome to the modern age) will be premiered at this show.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

You dog! Way to go! But remember, alcohol can DEhydrate! :lol:
migdd

Post by migdd »

spooky girlfriend wrote:You dog! Way to go! But remember, alcohol can DEhydrate! :lol:
You're absolutely right, Spooky! I guess I'll save the vodka/orange juice concoctions for the evening and continue drinking water during the day. Not as much fun but much more productive!!! :wink:
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

I will be there as well! :D
Seats are kinda far back but it's a pretty small venue so how bad can they be?

My third time seeing Elvis this year (Merlefest and the 9:30 Club in DC). I can honestly say that I have never left an Elvis show without being completely blown away. I am sure this will be no exception.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.charlotte.com/entertainment/ ... 66905.html

Charlotte Observer , Fri. Sept. 7 '07

Elvis Costello

On Tuesday, the English musician-singer-songwriter performs in a duo at Belk Theater with pianist Steve Nieve, a member of both the Attractions and the Imposters. Costello is currently alternating between these intimate duo performances with Nieve and big orchestral shows. On Thursday, Costello will perform with the North Carolina Symphony in Cary.

WHAT TO EXPECT

Spontaneity, variety and intimacy. "It will be quite a broad range of material," said Nieve, adding that the show may cover Costello's early work, his deviations into jazz, classical and country, and newer material -- with room for improvisation. "That's the format I love the most -- playing in duo with Elvis. There's just no telling where it might go."

WHAT'S NEW

Tuesday is the release of the Deluxe Edition of Costello's 1977 debut, "My Aim is True," complete with 48 tracks over two discs. This follows the January release of "Rock and Roll Music" and the digital premiere of his first 11 albums. Nieve, for his part, served as musical director and producer for "Welcome to the Voice," a bilingual opera featuring opera, rock, pop and jazz vocalists.

WIN TICKETS!

The Blumenthal Performing Arts Center has donated a pair of tickets to the concert, and we're giving them away to one lucky reader. To be entered into the drawing, send an e-mail to wintickets@charlotteobserver.com and tell us what you like -- and don't like -- about the E&T section. Subject line must read "Elvis." Include your name and a daytime phone number. Deadline: 9 a.m. Monday.

MORE INFO

• WHEN: 7:30 p.m. Tuesday. • WHERE: Belk Theater, 130 N. Tryon St. • TICKETS: $29-$74.

• DETAILS: 704-372-1000; http://www.blumenthalcenter.org.
MistakenForLilies

Post by MistakenForLilies »

I just got back from this, and I must say it was pretty amazing. Elvis sounded a little hoarse at times, but otherwise he seemed to really enjoy it and had a mostly appreciative crowd (except for the ones who had the nerve to boo his anti-war comments).
There were some real gems in the setlist: Talking in the Dark, Blue Minute (!), Lonely Blue Boy, Invasion Hit Parade, American Without Tears NO.2 (!), and In Another Room (!). In Another Room is a personal fave of mine and I can’t believe he actually played it; he segued into it through Alison.

Elvis & Steve were a great duo, as always, though I’ve never seen a duo show before myself. Steve really seemed to get into it when Elvis did Blue Minute, even though he wasn’t playing, because it seemed to be a genuinely spontaneous moment. (“I’m playing this song because I feel like it. I wrote it after Red Shoes…it was kind of a theme.â€
Till I speak double Dutch to a real double duchess.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Sounds like maybe Elvis took note of what I was saying about his setlist being a bit tired :lol:

Sounds great - I can't wait to see the setlist. Or hear a recording... :wink:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
migdd

Post by migdd »

A great show that definitely put a kibosh on the notion of "tired" setlists! Elvis and Steve came on at 8:10pm and played a full 2 1/2 hours with only a minute or less for a "break" between encores. Elvis seemed to be in a particularly "political" mood as is evident by the songs he chose to play. Some unexpected, spontaneous moments like his impromptu solo reading of Blue Minute and the inclusion of a number of seldom-played songs like AWT (twilight version!), Invasion Hit Parade and In Another Room (which turned out to be an unexpected crowd favorite!!). The crowd was even treated to American Gangster Time, the sole new song played.

Steve was an absolute madman on his borrowed Steinway baby grand as well as his usual keyboard set-up. The "duo" format really allows him the opportunity to flex his chops.

As reported, EC was in good humor and good voice, even through some of the night's darker numbers. At the show's onset, there were a lot of smiles and acknowledgements between EC and Steve; however, as the show progressed, EC seemed to really "get into the zone" and appeared to be rather determined to get across the songs in the most direct manner possible.

Again, a great night! A special "hello" goes to out to Gary and Meg, two fine folks we met both before and after the show. Hope you guys found this board!!

The setlist:

1. Accidents Will Happen
2. Talking in the Dark
3. Either Side of the Same Town
4. Long Honeymoon
5. Motel Matches
6. Red Shoes
7. Blue Minute
8. Nothing Clings Like Ivy
9. Girl’s Talk
10. Town Crier
11. American Without Tears (“twilightâ€
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

wow! that sounds like an excellent show.

Has anybody heard of an Asheville show? A kind of newbie fan friend said he'd heard about one and did I think he should go - I warned him off it, because so far his fandom has only reached the Very Best Of stage.

But, *I* could go. If there was one.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
migdd

Post by migdd »

There are no shows slated for Asheville, NC during this "mini-tour", unfortunately. There may be close-by dates on the upcoming Dylan tour, for which EC has the supporting slot.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

VERY glad to see some different tunes make their way in. most ESPECIALLY, in another room. is that a first??? i never saw it! i was getting worried about E not mixing it up much anymore. do hope they still book a dylan/EC date in nyc area. or am i pipedreaming at this point?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Much more interesting setlist, although still ending with (to me) the tiresome PLU. I think he must have read MY post about the tired setlist.
signed with love and vicious kisses
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

mood swung wrote:Has anybody heard of an Asheville show?
Are you sure he didn't mean "A Nashville show"? It's all in the phonetics :lol:

And he played Town Crier - fantastic.

What a great show - thanks for the setlist migdd.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?