A Few Random Questions

Pretty self-explanatory
HolyCoatAndHat

A Few Random Questions

Post by HolyCoatAndHat »

A friend of mine was doing a Grateful Dead quiz about a month ago and one of the questions was "Which of the following artist have covered a Grateful Dead song?" One of the options was Elvis Costello... I knew that two of the other artists had covered the Dead, so had him answer All of the above. What Dead song has EC covered???

I saw the end of a movie recently, but I cannot think of the name of the movie. It might have been a Nicholas Cage movie??? There was an Elvis Costello song playing as the credits rolled at the end, but I don't know what the song was. In the credits, the song was credited as written by EC and Cait. Can anyone tell me what the song and the movie were? What album the song is on?

In Tramp the Dirt Down, there is as reference to the "black tarmacadam" according to the lyrics with the Rhino release. I always thought that he was singing "the black tower of McGannon." What is he singing, and what is he referring to either way?
norman brain

Post by norman brain »

Hi. The Grateful Dead song that EC covered is "Ship of Fools" from the DEADICATED tribute CD.

The EC/Cait song in question is "You Rang My Bell," a soulful tune from the soundtrack of the Cage movie THE FAMILY MAN.

I'm afraid I'll have to leave the "black tarmacadam" question to one of the British fans.

Hope this helps.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

EC has covered "Ship of Fools" there's a live version on the Costello & Nieve box and I believe there's a studio version on some tribute album somewhere.

The song is "You Stole My Bell" from Cage's Christmas movie "The Family Man". Saw it last Christmas, it's a ripoff of "It's a Wonderful Life".

Tarmacadam is what we call asphalt in this part of the world, or tarmac for short. I believe it's named after the chap who invented it, Henry Tarmacadam.

Do I win anything?

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Ooh, you pipped me Mr.Brain.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Tarmacadam named after its inventor John Loudon MacAdam of auld Ayr... another ingenious invention Scotland has given the world!!!
HungupStrungup

plus there's this to consider . . . .

Post by HungupStrungup »

norman brain wrote:The Grateful Dead song that EC covered is "Ship of Fools" from the DEADICATED tribute CD.
and
DrJ wrote:EC has covered "Ship of Fools" there's a live version on the Costello & Nieve box and I believe there's a studio version on some tribute album somewhere.
There's also a collection called Stolen Roses: Songs of the Grateful Dead, on which various artists (e.g., Bob Dylan, the Persasions, the Stanford U. Marching Band) interpret Dead songs. It includes a live, solo rendition by EC of "Ship of Fools"/"It Must have Been the Roses."
Last edited by HungupStrungup on Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
HolyCoatAndHat

Post by HolyCoatAndHat »

DrJ, you win my respect! Thanks!
HolyCoatAndHat

Post by HolyCoatAndHat »

So, is the only place to find You Stole My Bell on the soundtrack for Family Man? Or is there a soundtrack for the movie?
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

HolyCoatAndHat wrote:So, is the only place to find You Stole My Bell on the soundtrack for Family Man? Or is there a soundtrack for the movie?
Yes, and yes. The soundtrack (on Sire in the U.S., London in the U.K.) is out of print now, but copies can still be found.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"