Steve Nieve Duo dates, U.S. , August/Sept. '07

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Steve Nieve Duo dates, U.S. , August/Sept. '07

Post by johnfoyle »

I was just thrilled to get this e-mail this evening -

Dear John,

Is there any chance of notifying your fan sites of the 4 gigs I am doing this summer? I will be playing material from Keyboard Jungle, It's Raining Somewhere, Windows - and with the help of Antoine Quessada AKA JOKKA on drums - songs from Mumu - new songs - and "songs we can't live without" - which will include some of Elvis' I've asked for suggestions to be posted to me. Someone has suggested"Crimes of Paris"... There will also be interactive element improvising a theme based around 5 notes from the audience - so a fun night - and I would love people to come out.

Aug 16 2007
8:00P
Stephen Talkhouse, Amagansett
Amagansett, New York

http://www.stephentalkhouse.com/artistd ... tistid=325

Aug 26 2007
Sellersville Theater
Sellersville, Pennsylvania Just outside Philadelphia

http://www.st94.com/music/2007_08.html#nieve

Aug 30 2007
Jamming Java
Vienna (Just outside Washington DC)

http://www.jamminjava.com/index.php

Sep 1 2007
The Evening Muse
1st September
North Charlotte, North Carolina

http://www.queencitymusic.com/theevenin ... out_us.htm

I look forward to hearing from you,

Best,
Nieve

----------------------------------------------------------------

This show has a Myspace page -

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =197339069
migdd

Post by migdd »

I'm terrifically excited to hear about SN's show at the Evening Muse in Charlotte just 10 days prior to the EC/SN show at the Belk Theatre! Thanks, Mr. Foyle for sharing this!

The Muse is a great intimate venue that seats about 100 people and has great acoustics. It's located in the North Davidson area of Charlotte which was a declining suburb of the city. In recent years, it has been developed into a bohemian paradise of trendy eateries, art galleries and music venues, including the Evening Muse and the adjacent, larger Neighborhood Theatre.

Can't wait to catch up with Mr. Nieve for a night of rhapsodic piano!
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

Ooh, Sellersville Theater, that's a few miles away from me! I'll be there!
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

"Is there any chance..."

Now that's what I call humility! Steve knows how to spread the word all right.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Amagansett? Not on a Thursday, unfortunately. :(

Shame it's not a Saturday. We could take the ferry over from Connecticut and do some wine tasting on the north fork of Long Island beforehand.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Steve blogs -

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... =294218384

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

PERFECT DAY

Just completed the european tour with Allen T and Elvis C and the Crescent City Horns and Anthony B and Paul B and Herman Le B and had a great time of it. So tomorrow back to the base. And time to prepare the Chance Songs Tour. For a limited time only I am posting a version of "Perfect Day" that I had enjoyed immensely singing with Laurie A. Also sums up the feeling today at the end of this run of gigs. Could be a choice for the Chance Songs set too, I love this song, especially the line "YOU MADE ME FORGET MYSELF, I THOUGHT I WAS SOMEONE ELSE, SOMEONE GOOD"...
sabreman

Re: Steve Nieve Duo dates, U.S. , August/Sept. '07

Post by sabreman »

johnfoyle wrote:
Aug 30 2007
Jamming Java
Vienna (Just outside Washington DC)

http://www.jamminjava.com/index.php
I mentioned this place at his site. Will be sure to attend.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

I'd go if I could, Sellersville isn't too far away form where I am. But I'll be down the shore (New Jersey) that week.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
MistakenForLilies

Post by MistakenForLilies »

migdd wrote:I'm terrifically excited to hear about SN's show at the Evening Muse in Charlotte just 10 days prior to the EC/SN show at the Belk Theatre! Thanks, Mr. Foyle for sharing this!

The Muse is a great intimate venue that seats about 100 people and has great acoustics. It's located in the North Davidson area of Charlotte which was a declining suburb of the city. In recent years, it has been developed into a bohemian paradise of trendy eateries, art galleries and music venues, including the Evening Muse and the adjacent, larger Neighborhood Theatre.

Sounds interesting! I was planning on attending the EC show in Charlotte but it would be great if I could make this too.

migdd, do you know about how far that area in North Charlotte is from the main drag, city limits, etc. of Charlotte?
Till I speak double Dutch to a real double duchess.
migdd

Post by migdd »

MistakenForLilies wrote:
migdd wrote:I'm terrifically excited to hear about SN's show at the Evening Muse in Charlotte just 10 days prior to the EC/SN show at the Belk Theatre! Thanks, Mr. Foyle for sharing this!

Sounds interesting! I was planning on attending the EC show in Charlotte but it would be great if I could make this too.

migdd, do you know about how far that area in North Charlotte is from the main drag, city limits, etc. of Charlotte?
The Evening Muse is 10 minutes outside uptown Charlotte. You can take North Davidson from uptown Charlotte straight into the NODA area and the Muse is on the left in the center of NODA, across the street from the Mellow Mushroom. A straight shot with no turns in 10 minutes or less!
snapyou

Post by snapyou »

I can't find Steve's version of Perfect Day:where is it?
Must say i really like both tracks on his myspace page especially Pandemonium
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

For a limited time only I am posting a version of "Perfect Day"
I guess when Steve says' limited time' he really means it!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Steve begs, uh, blogs -

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... =297621333

Thursday, August 09, 2007

STEPHEN TALKHOUSE 16TH AUGUST, AMAGANSETT, NY

TO EVERYONE IN THE NEW YORK AREA,

PLEASE COME OUT TO THE STEPHEN TALKHOUSE GIG. IT'S THE FIRST AND WE WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A GOOD, FUN AUDIENCE. THEY TELL ME NO ADVANCE TICKETS HAVE SOLD. SO COME OUT. YOU WILL HEAR SOME NIEVE SONGS - SOME COSTELLO SONGS - SOME NEIL YOUNG SONGS - SOME MATCHING MOLE SONGS - SOME BRIAN ENO SONGS - IN PLUS IT'S A BEAUTIFUL COAST SO MAKE A DAY OF IT. IT'S EASY TO GET TO ON THE HAMPTON JITNEY OR THE LONG ISLAND RAILROAD OUT OF NYC.....

HOPE YOU WILL

SN
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The blog got this response -

One of the problems might be that you aren't on the "buy tickets page" that links from the Talkhouse page, so even if folks click on your date on the Talkhouse calendar, it won't let them buy tickets:

http://www.thestephentalkhouse.musictod ... endar.aspx
migdd

Post by migdd »

The 9/1 show at the Evening Muse in Charlotte is only three weeks away and the venue still has no info on Steve's show. In fact, they have yet to post a calendar of events for September.
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

The DC area show is up at:

http://www.jamminjava.com/august.php

Purchased two.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Talkhouse venue fixed the link.
http://www.thestephentalkhouse.musictod ... ntMsg.aspx
migdd

Post by migdd »

The Evening Muse date has been announced on their website:

http://www.queencitymusic.com/theevenin ... eptember07
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Er, I hope someone's turned up in Amagansett.................
migdd

Post by migdd »

Ordered tickets today at an incredible $8.00 each!!! That's cheaper than a movie on a Saturday night. Should be a great show!
MistakenForLilies

Post by MistakenForLilies »

migdd wrote:Ordered tickets today at an incredible $8.00 each!!! That's cheaper than a movie on a Saturday night. Should be a great show!
Me too! :)
Till I speak double Dutch to a real double duchess.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Steve blogs -

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... =300686645

Friday, August 17, 2007

Sellersville Theater Cancelled

I am sorry to say that due to lack of ticket sales the Sellersville Theater management decided to cancel our performance on the 26th. What's up?

Had a fun night at the Stephen Talkhouse, and we look forward to seeing you at Jamming Java,

Steve Nieve
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.readexpress.com/read_freerid ... _nieve.php

Express from The Washington Post
August 30, 2007

Photo by Carole Bellaiche/Deutchse Grammophon

Playing a New Tune: Steve Nieve

WHO'D HAVE GUESSED 30 years ago that half of the brittle, brutal band that cut "This Years Model" would wind up on classical powerhouse Deutsche Grammophon?

Elvis Costello has released both a collection of love songs and a ballet on the label. And now DG has issued "Welcome to the Voice," an opera by Attractions keyboardist Steve Nieve and his partner, Muriel Teodori.

Although he became known for the organ swirls and stabs that helped make early Costello tracks like "Pump It Up" and "Watching the Detectives" so distinctive, Nieve, who had been studying composition at the Royal College of Music, had intended a different career path. "At some point at the college," he recalled, "I came across an advertisement to join a band, which turned out to be one of the greatest bands in the world, I think. It was a very lucky thing.

"I think in any walk of life," he added, "there are some natural leaders and some natural supporters. And I'm probably more naturally a supporter and an accompanist. But I enjoy occasionally to take the reins of the horse."

For "Welcome to the Voice" — a sweeping tale of a steelworker charmed by song — taking the reins meant enlisting male pop vocalists Sting, Costello and Robert Wyatt and female opera singers such as Barbara Bonney and Amanda Roocroft. If you want to see a production, though, you'll have to wait until next year.

At Jammin' Java on Thursday night, Nieve will be exploring other solo material, playing one set alone, one with Maybe drummer Jokka.

"We're also going to do some 'Songs We Can't Live Without,'" Nieve said, by writers from Costello and Wyatt to Lou Reed.

"We're gonna do one song by Brian Eno, which I love for many reasons, called 'Julie with ... ,'" Nieve said. "We might attempt a Britney Spears song, because we find that the lyrics of that particular song are quite meaningful to us. We find that when we strip songs down that much that they have new layers that we didn't realize, underneath the shiny production that they often have on records."

» Jammin' Java, 227 Maple Avenue East, Vienna; with Brainfang, Thu., 8 p.m., $12; 703-255-1566.

Written by Express contributor Glenn Dixon
migdd

Post by migdd »

I hope someone will post a review of this show as soon as possible. Looking forward to meeting Steve this Saturday evening in Charlotte!
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

I went to the show. Very small turnout but I was pretty much expecting that. There were some sound issues at the beginning but they got taken care of. I do not have a set list. Steve started solo and was eventually joined by drummer Jokka. Steve did more singing than I was expecting. He sounds a bit like Robert Wyatt and covered Caroline and Ship Building. IMO these were good choices based on his vocal short comings. He attempted Indoor Fireworks which would have been better as an instrumental. The crowd highlight was Green Shirt. This one worked well with the drum accompaniment. Introduced a new song that he wrote about a failed vacation with EC. Really funny story. Steve said he wants to record it with EC some time next year. Steve did the improvisation based on 5 notes from the audience. Finished with What So Funny About Peace Love Understanding. The show lasted about 1 hour 45 minutes. I had a good time but I could understand some people having trouble with the limited vocals and the experimental nature.

PS. BTW he did preform the Britney song but I can't remember the title. Something about being hit?