Steve Nieve Duo dates, U.S. , August/Sept. '07

Pretty self-explanatory
migdd

Post by migdd »

sabreman wrote:I went to the show. Very small turnout but I was pretty much expecting that. There were some sound issues at the beginning but they got taken care of. I do not have a set list. Steve started solo and was eventually joined by drummer Jokka. Steve did more singing than I was expecting. He sounds a bit like Robert Wyatt and covered Caroline and Ship Building. IMO these were good choices based on his vocal short comings. He attempted Indoor Fireworks which would have been better as an instrumental. The crowd highlight was Green Shirt. This one worked well with the drum accompaniment. Introduced a new song that he wrote about a failed vacation with EC. Really funny story. Steve said he wants to record it with EC some time next year. Steve did the improvisation based on 5 notes from the audience. Finished with What So Funny About Peace Love Understanding. The show lasted about 1 hour 45 minutes. I had a good time but I could understand some people having trouble with the limited vocals and the experimental nature.

PS. BTW he did preform the Britney song but I can't remember the title. Something about being hit?
Thanks for the report. I'll do the same after tomorrow night's show. Did Steve hang around after the show for a meet and greet?
MistakenForLilies

Post by MistakenForLilies »

migdd wrote:
sabreman wrote:I went to the show. Very small turnout but I was pretty much expecting that. There were some sound issues at the beginning but they got taken care of. I do not have a set list. Steve started solo and was eventually joined by drummer Jokka. Steve did more singing than I was expecting. He sounds a bit like Robert Wyatt and covered Caroline and Ship Building. IMO these were good choices based on his vocal short comings. He attempted Indoor Fireworks which would have been better as an instrumental. The crowd highlight was Green Shirt. This one worked well with the drum accompaniment. Introduced a new song that he wrote about a failed vacation with EC. Really funny story. Steve said he wants to record it with EC some time next year. Steve did the improvisation based on 5 notes from the audience. Finished with What So Funny About Peace Love Understanding. The show lasted about 1 hour 45 minutes. I had a good time but I could understand some people having trouble with the limited vocals and the experimental nature.

PS. BTW he did preform the Britney song but I can't remember the title. Something about being hit?
Thanks for the report. I'll do the same after tomorrow night's show. Did Steve hang around after the show for a meet and greet?
Yes, thanks for that review. It gave me a good idea of what to expect. (I wasn't even sure that Steve was going to sing in these shows before reading this!)
Till I speak double Dutch to a real double duchess.
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

migdd wrote: Thanks for the report. I'll do the same after tomorrow night's show. Did Steve hang around after the show for a meet and greet?
I left right after it ended but my guess is he did. It was a very laid back situation.
MistakenForLilies wrote: Yes, thanks for that review. It gave me a good idea of what to expect. (I wasn't even sure that Steve was going to sing in these shows before reading this!)
I wasn't expecting it either. IMO he should focus on what he does best and limit the vocals to a few songs that match his voice (see Robert Wyatt tunes).
migdd

Post by migdd »

Just got back from the show at the Evening Muse. A fun show that didn't seem to stray far from sabreman's description of the show two nights ago. The Britney song was "Hit Me One More Time". The new song about the holiday with EC was called "Pandemonium" and was a great rocking number with Steve playing some fantastic boogie piano. The EC songs covered were PL&U (okay, actually a Nick Lowe song), Shipbuilding and Green Shirt. No sign of Indoor Fireworks tonight. Surprisingly, the small club was packed to standing room only and the acoustics were very good. The crowd seemed really appreciative and Steve appeared to be having a good time.

Can't wait for the Charlotte EC/Nieve show on Sept. 11!!
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

Good to hear there was a nice turn out. I think the show being Saturday vs. Thursday helped especially with school back in session or about to be.
MistakenForLilies

Post by MistakenForLilies »

migdd wrote:Just got back from the show at the Evening Muse. A fun show that didn't seem to stray far from sabreman's description of the show two nights ago. The Britney song was "Hit Me One More Time". The new song about the holiday with EC was called "Pandemonium" and was a great rocking number with Steve playing some fantastic boogie piano. The EC songs covered were PL&U (okay, actually a Nick Lowe song), Shipbuilding and Green Shirt. No sign of Indoor Fireworks tonight. Surprisingly, the small club was packed to standing room only and the acoustics were very good. The crowd seemed really appreciative and Steve appeared to be having a good time.

Can't wait for the Charlotte EC/Nieve show on Sept. 11!!
That sums it up really well. :)
Although it didn't seem like anyone else in the audience even recognized that one as a Britney Spears song, which I suppose is a credit to Steve for being able to pull it off as a serious song!
Anyway, you're right, and the EC songs were especially good.
Till I speak double Dutch to a real double duchess.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Vince on the eclistserv has let me forward this report on last saturdays show

My girlfriend Pamela and I attended Steve's show on Saturday night at The Evening Muse in Charlotte, NC. Incredible night! The venue was a rather tiny bar in the heart of North Charlotte's "artsy" area. They said it sat 100 but I saw chairs and tables for MAYBE 50 or so. We were in the second row with fellow listers Callie and Dixie (from Boone NC.) I didn't recognize anyone else. The place had a great sound system and the staff (all 3 of them - barmaid, ticket guy and sound guy "Joe") were quite friendly. Excellent crowd - responsive and well-mannered. Steve's step-son (Muriel's 22 year old) "Jokka" played drums and a little bongo. He was quite competent and energetic and they made a good pair. Steve was very talkative and seemed thrilled (and even a little bit nervous) about the gig. He warmed everyone up early on by soliciting audience members to provide him with their favorites notes and then used them to compose (on-the-spot) a cool little song in his signature expressive, dramatic style - very cool idea! He enlisted his Apple laptop throughout the show for accompaniment or lyrics or whatever? (I also snagged the setlist to which he had made several revisions.) Steve was in no hurry afterwards and chatted with everyone as he sold CD's, signed stuff and got his photo taken. We spent a few minutes talking about how great it was to have your step-son play on this mini tour. Apparently Jokka has his own band called "Maybe". He wrote down their website address for me http://www.maybe-music.com/. Muriel was also very nice and they had one tech with them as well. Everyone pitched in to pack up Steve's gear, wind up cords and load up their van that was parked around the corner. Steve had a Roland RD-100 keyboard, a small synthesizer, a new Hohner melodica and of course his Theremin. Great sound and a nice variety of tunes well delivered. Surprising how competent a singer he is although he made it a point of disagreeing with me when I told him I liked his voice. Pamela said it reminded her of Pink Floyd. Opening act Tin Cup Prophette was very good also, inventively using looping pedals to enhance and fill out her violin and guitar sound. Amanda has a great voice with hints of Tori Amos, Sinead O and possibly Sarah McLaughlin. It's worth it to check out her myspace site. http://www.myspace.com/tincupprophette

Steve said they've been travelling all around the area, sightseeing and looking forward to the upcoming shows with EC. A very personable and humble man and it was a pleasure to watch his performance and chat as well. I mentioned to him that I didn't know about this show until about 2:00 pm that afternoon when I saw the link to the forum and I suggested that he use our list and/or his myspace and other website to get the word out when he performs solo.

- Vince