15%

Total votes: 26

American Without Tears

The River In Reverse

Post by American Without Tears »

Do you like it?
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

No. The main problem is the dull production sound. I think Joe Henry fell between two stools trying to keep both Elvis and Allen happy, if the sound had been much punchier I'd still be listening to this. Indeed I'm more likely to listen to the bootlegs from last summers tour, they sound much better.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

I agree with martinfoyle about the album. I particularly dislike EC's annoyingly loud voice. It stands out from the music in a bad way. But overall yeah I guess I like the new album. Nice bunch of songs.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Elvis sounds a trifle contrived and inhibited, as if he was too scared to take sufficient charge of procedings and really "get down", probably because of a treading-on-eggshell-like reverence for Allen and his musicians. And overall I think it lacks fire. Barely satisfactory. It could have been great.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

It could have been better, but it's still good stuff. Long time since I played it, though. I thnk the title track is fantastic.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

martinfoyle wrote:No. The main problem is the dull production sound. I think Joe Henry fell between two stools trying to keep both Elvis and Allen happy, if the sound had been much punchier I'd still be listening to this. Indeed I'm more likely to listen to the bootlegs from last summers tour, they sound much better.
In retrospect, they should have recorded the album after last summers tour. In that way, the sound of the album and the playing of the musicians on the album could have benefitted a lot from these concerts.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

When the tracks for RIR were revealed I compiled a disc of originals of the older Toussaint tracks . I listened to it again recently and , wow, but they are so much better than Elvis' n Allen's covers. Of course that may well have been the whole point of the exercise ie. point us towards them. By the way , the 'dull' sound is just as evident on the vinyl edition.
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

IMHO the two previous albums are the ones that are lacking. I think JH did a great job.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

"Absolutely Fabulous"

The only thing I have to say about Joe Henry is... "what's with the "trapped in the 80s" haircut. Not that I'm dialed into fashion or anything. Someone told me my hair looks like a 70s cut. That wasn't cool, I had vision of feathered hair... terrible image, really. Anyhow, the way I see it, as long as you don't look like a burn out and conform to meet "semi-normal" standards, then your cool. JH is cute. I think he could be hotter if styled his hair differently. How that's for commentary? Yeah, I know, shut up.
thenewsoftshoe

Post by thenewsoftshoe »

I am in love with it.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Dont even own it, because what Ive heard does absolutely NOTHING for me.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load