Málaga, Playa del Penón del Cuervo 14/07/07

Pretty self-explanatory
King_of_Spain

Málaga, Playa del Penón del Cuervo 14/07/07

Post by King_of_Spain »

Hi folks!

I´m going to be there, in Málaga (Peñón del Cuervo -The Raven´s Mull, if you don´t speak Spanish-) on July 14th. I promise to include some brief chronicle of the event and maybe -hope to- some photographs.

The point is I have no idea what I´m going to find. I mean: is the list of songs of this tour similar to the last year´s one? Or is there something new, some advance from some new album or whatever...?

Probably some of you have already seen some shows from this present tour... Could you please help me to make myself a general idea about how the concert of Málaga would be?

Thanx a lot.
"Sometimes I name and number all the things you gave to me"
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

it's with Allen, so will be River In Reverse plus EC classics plus some other AT songs. check this link, in your mother tongue, from an earlier thread:

http://www.teatrocervantes.com/espectaculo.php?id=492

Que lo pases bien!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
King_of_Spain

Thank you, Otis!

Post by King_of_Spain »

To be honest, I would have preferred a RNR Show, with the usual suspects around him playing loud as hell (the place is somehow in the middle of nowhere, it´s just a little beach next to an absolutely awful concrete factory and the coastal highway).

Anyway, I guess I have enough time to listen and relisten and even listen and relisten again "The river in reverse" (I confess I´m guilty: it seemed kind of boring to me when it appeared, so I only gave it a couple of opportunities...or maybe because I did so, it seemed just boring to me...anyway, jazz is not my favourite style).

Gracias, Otis.
Espero pasármelo cojonudamente, la verdad.
lostdog

Re: Thank you, Otis!

Post by lostdog »

King_of_Spain wrote:anyway, jazz is not my favourite style)
Jazz? It bears no resemblance to jazz...

It's just music - some of the best music EC has made in the last decade, incidentally - so really nothing to be frightened of...
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Hola King Of Spain.

Two major things wrong with The River In Reverse imo:

The performances lack fire. They could have grooved and swung a lot more. Although it's hard to question the pedigree of talent and form of arrangements, overall it all sounds a bit plain, too reserved. The instrumentation is pretty unadventurous, and repetitive. I've yet to hear any of it live, but the record shouldn't require me to in order for me to love it.

And, not only did Elvis' writing not have much bite but there wasn't even much of it.
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

The show I saw with AT last year was the best live EC show in a long time. Hopefully AT will bring his horn section and AB. IMHO the recent RnR concert tour was a real let down in comparison.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Yeah, AB! I love that man. The funk will be happening. It's worth every Euro. I think AT's vocals are sounding better than ever... at least that's my opinion after listening to the live DC show last month. Solid. Quality entertainment - GUARANTEED.
King_of_Spain

Post by King_of_Spain »

I have spent this whole day listening and relistening The River in Reverse -to go "preparing" myself, as idiot as it can sound- and, Ok, I have to admit it´s not that boring (even when more than a few musical parts of a lot of songs sound very much to previous Costello´s songs). It´s not the best of Costello´s discography, that clear, but not as lousy(beg your pardon for the expression :p ) as I remembered it from the five or six times I listened to it when I bought it (my patience is not my best point, I´m afraid).

Besides, and after reading some of your posts, my state of mind now is nearer to "the one who feels it´s going to have a wondeful surprise" with this show.

Hope so. I´ll tell you.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

These shows will be a little different to last years shows , in that Imposters Dave and Pete will not be part of them.

The line up -

Elvis Costello - vocals, guitar
Allen Toussaint - piano, vocals
Steve Nieve - Hammond organ, keyboards
Herman LeBeaux - drums
Chris Severin - bass
Anthony "AB" Brown - guitar
The Crescent City Horns:
Brian "Breeze" Cayolle - saxophone
Amadee Castenell - saxophone
Joe "Foxx" Smith - trumpet
Sam "Big Sam" Williams - trombone

It´ll be a more specifically New Orleans show. It´ll be interesting to see how much of a difference the lack of that ´Imposters clashing with old school jazz´ element will make .
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

I have seen AT twice in the last 6 months and this his band of course minus EC and SN. AT only brought Brian "Breeze" Cayolle on sax though. The drummer is a traditional jazz / rb player. It should be a really great treat.
The imposter

Tickets Anyone?

Post by The imposter »

Anybody know where tickets are being sold for this show? I've seen the gig advertised on the teatro cervantes website, the link for tickets takes you to the corte ingles website but there only the madrid (Villalba ) show seems to be listed..
King_of_Spain

Re: Tickets Anyone?

Post by King_of_Spain »

The imposter wrote:Anybody know where tickets are being sold for this show? I've seen the gig advertised on the teatro cervantes website, the link for tickets takes you to the corte ingles website but there only the madrid (Villalba ) show seems to be listed..
I notice you´re posting from Spain (or so), therefore you can buy the tickets (as I did) here:
http://www.generaltickets.com/unicaja (just click the right place on the space on the right: Playa del Peñón... del Cuervo and so on).

...and then get them at any Unicaja cash dispenser (this is what I did, at least, but there should be an easier way, if you live in Euskadi, because the nearest Unicaja must be in Madrid, I guess... No problem, anyway, if you´re finally going to come to Málaga, which is Unicaja´s Kingdom).

(I have got one more ticket than I need, by the way... anyone interested? ;) )
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Calling King_of_Spain!