ELVIS and the IMPOSTERS on LETTERMAN 5-18-07

Pretty self-explanatory
A rope leash

ELVIS and the IMPOSTERS on LETTERMAN 5-18-07

Post by A rope leash »

Sucked.

He should get out of rock and become a professional musician.
hollyh

Post by hollyh »

What was the deal? I'd seen him perform these two songs live two nights earlier and he was on fire. On this one, the sound was muddy, the tempo was rushed, and his singing sounded bored and unenthusiastic. Dave barely took time to shake his hand before the show ended.

There was such a wierd vibe going, for a second I fantasized that he was going to cut the number and switch to "Radio Radio."
badattidude

Post by badattidude »

Maybe it had something to do with the fact the webcast was shooting a couple hours later, or that the show was recorded on Monday. I didn't find it disappointing, however. We did get 2 good songs.
migdd

Post by migdd »

What songs were performed?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

"Welcome to the Working Week" and "Chelsea."
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Apparently he doesn't have any confidence in his new music. He is on record many times saing that it disturbs him that the audience always pushes to hear the old stuff (like Chelsea and Working Week), but he has progressed beyond that.

However is this really a lack of confidence of how his new music will play with the TV audience. NOT! High Five!!! This has everything to do with the fact that he feels the old songs have more purchase power for new audiences that weren't yet born when they were originally released.

Isn't this really a MORE blatant capitalistic move,to sing aged songs to drive sales of the TWO new elvis CD's that celebrate the early years? Or is it THREE new albums?

Am I bitter about Elvis doing Lexus comemrcials> Nah. Am I bitter that the number of reissues has now crossed the realm of artistic repackaging to gain new audiences, and moved into the realm of gauging a faithful audience.

I dunno what I'm talking about. But that is what I see here.

Lackluster performance.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

"Working Week" opened the live segment of the webcast, and we in the audience thought it was great. The energy didn't let up from there, even through such a slow one (albeit a crowdpleaser) as "Kid About It". I think he does better when he can start on his own time rather than to the clock of a "live" TV show.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

I stayed up last night to watch and feel exactly the same as you do Mr. A.
This performance was completely dull, uninspired, just awful.

The reissues have to stop. Is Elvis hard--up for cash? What gives??

Then it came to me. His label made him a unique offer. 1 for 1. Maybe they said -- look Elvis, we both know you don't have a huge audience, but lets cash in on what we can while you're relatively famous. You give us 1 of what we want, we'll let you have 1 of whatever the hell you want, sing with Tibetan Monks or whatever, but give us another greatest hits or an angry/loud record. We'll give each equal promotion. I think with this new reissue it was their turn.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Emotional Toothpaste wrote:The reissues have to stop. Is Elvis hard--up for cash? What gives??
Honestly, I don't get the complaints about the recent reissues. They're aimed squarely at those who don't already have the other CDs, and with the sole exception of the Rock and Roll Music compilation, they don't offer anything new.

I didn't buy them. Did you?

What is the precise objection?

I get the sense that some people got all worked up when the reissues were first reported and somehow haven't noticed how unobjectionable they ended up being.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

I was also intrigued by the knee-jerk reaction to the latest round of re-issues. Bowie did the same for his most recent re-issues and no one objected. Indeed it could be argued that these are the definitive re-issues since they faithfully reproduce the original albums in their original form without all the clutter of the extra tracks on the previous re-issues. I downloaded the 2 'new' tracks and am glad I did so since they are no great shakes, barely worth a second listen, like most of the extra tracks on the prevoius re-issues, dare I say it.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

This probably belongs in another thread by now, but...

I bought the Rock & Roll Music collection, simply because it had the two new songs. I wouldn't mind having the rest of the Hip-O series, but I'm passing since I still have my Columbia, Ryko and Rhino CDs. And I'm thankful that there aren't any rarities on the Hip-O reissues because I really didn't want to spend $200 on them.

It doesn't make sense to put them out so soon after the Rhinos, but this is the music business we're talking about.

Meanwhile if he's got any other songs of the same ilk as "American Gangster Time", I hope he'll record them soon enough to get them in stores soon enough.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

wardo68 wrote:I bought the Rock & Roll Music collection, simply because it had the two new songs.
Which, to be fair, you could have (legally) downloaded and made your own copy of Rock and Roll Music from your own CDs? I don't feel there's any big rip-off going on here.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

True, Hawk, but I'm one of those freaks who still gets excited about packaging. Just the record store geek in me. I'm glad the songs are available a la carte, since it doesn't "force" anyone to shell out for the songs they own already.
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

Emotional Toothpaste wrote:IThe reissues have to stop. Is Elvis hard--up for cash?
No ... but his record company is.

No joke.