Elvis/Clover, San Fran, Nov. 8 '07 - download available

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis/Clover, San Fran, Nov. 8 '07 - download available

Post by johnfoyle »

Terry Staunton is preparing a Record Collector feature on MAIT. In the course of a e-mail correspondence about another matter he told me -

I spoke to producer Nick Lowe for my 30th anniversary article, and he told me that Elvis is planning to perform the album in its entirety (and original running order) as part of a series of charity concerts in San Francisco this autumn. Apparently, he intends to get all the original Clover members who played on the record to be his backing band.

I replied asking if he wanted me to keep this news secret until the magazine feature appeared. He replied -

Thank you, John. The news about EC's recreation of My Aim Is True on stage later this year is something that I've not seen elsewhere, and it would be nice to think that it might be a Record Collector exclusive.

However, I've been in the business long enough to know that exclusives don't last that long, and seeing as it's going to be at least six weeks until I can go into print with news about the San Francisco gig, I imagine it's going to leak out at some point - feel free to share the info with people, like our good selves, to whom it means something.

I can tell you that it's a festival that's been going for a few years, organised by a man called Austin DeLone, who was a member of the pub rock band Eggs Over Easy, a contemporary of Nick Lowe in the Brinsleys days and Elvis when he was with Flip City. He has a son, now in his early 20s I believe, who is disabled in some way himself, and the charity that Austin works for has arranged this San Fran festival.

It's cool, I think, that Elvis is revisiting his roots for a cause that relates to someone from his 70s past, and because it's a great cause, I couldn't give a fuck if my exclusive gets scooped elsewhere. Tell the world, my friend, good causes should not be reliant on the deadlines of magazines.

http://www.recordcollectormag.com/site/ ... efault.asp
Last edited by johnfoyle on Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
migdd

Post by migdd »

That's just incredible!!!!!!
Hope it's true and a live recording becomes available. Clover were a fantastic band in their day.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Very exciting and it'll be nice to see Clover get some due, seeing as how they were contractually barred from being credited on MAIT when it came out. Either that or Jake Riviera didn't want a bunch of hippies on one of his sleeves!
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Cool, a festival in SF... I hope the ticket price isn't geared toward the social elite. I'd like to check it out.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

hey elvis....just be sure to treat clover to a flight to new york for one show here too as well as the obligatory LETTERMAN appearance!!!!!
CloverFan

Post by CloverFan »

As far as I aa aware, it's to be recorded live at the Great American Music hall in SF.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Is this, perhaps, the charity event referred to ?

http://www.brcohn.com/concerts/index.asp

Announcing the

21st Annual B.R. Cohn Charity Events
Fall Music Festival & Golf Tournament
September 28th through October 1st, 2007

* Charity Auction Dinner: Friday, September 28th
* Concerts: Saturday & Sunday, September 29th and 30th
* Golf Tournament: Monday, October 1st

Keep checking back for more details!

Tickets go on sale July 1st.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Incidentally , Clover member Alex Call notes on his site -

http://www.alexcall.nstemp.com/

(extract)

February 2007.

I have been very busy writing prose for the last year. I have finished three manuscripts. The first, " For a Good Time Call:867-5309 - I Wrote It, You're Stuck With It!... my rock odyssey through psychedelic San Francisco in the '60's, punk London in the '70's , and full-throttle Los Angeles in the '80's", is just going out to publishers as you read this.

A Clover recording from 1975 has been released -

http://www.sonicpastmusic.com/artists/clover/

The Sound City Sessions - John Mcfee of the Doobie Brothers, Huey Lewis and Sean Hopper of The News, Jeff Porcaro of Toto, Alex Call (songwriter for Pat Benatar and Tommy Tutone among many others), and John Ciambotti - all amazing talents in their own rights - before they were famous - together on this masterpiece. This CD was originally recorded in 1975 at Sound City studios in LA; never before released until now.

http://www.amazon.com/Sound-City-Sessio ... 498&sr=8-1
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Still no specific news on this ; the additional Alex Call comment has popped up -

http://www.trcjt.ca/ae818/lizzy4/alcall02.html

jt: You mentioned to me that you have written a book. Tell us about it.

Alex:
This book is about my rock'n'roll life. The story starts with my adolescent introduction to live rock music in 1960 and carries on through my mid-life successes in the 80's. I was a participant in three important eras of rock: the psychedelic 60's in San Francisco, punk London of the mid-70's, and full-throttle L.A. in the 80's. My relationships with Huey Lewis, Elvis Costello, Nick Lowe, Clive Davis, and other well-known and unknown characters help to paint a picture of the realities of the rock world. I tell about the writing of my hits, including 867-5309. Underlying the funny and heartbreaking tales of life as a band member, songwriter, and solo artist, is my personal story of struggle, failure, and ultimate success. It's not a history; it's a rock Ball Four.

I see 867-5309 in big, bold numbers on a book jacket, against a background of pertinent graffiti on a bathroom wall. I just know that people will pick up the book to take a look. They will find a page-turner. I have quite a few fun photographs to include.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Just got this e-mail-

Hey there.. Alex Call here.. it's my understanding there will be a MAIT concert or two this fall.. I wasn't on the record sessions, though I certainly thought it was smashing when I heard it in progress, so I won't be on the show......

best, Alex Call
ahawkman

Post by ahawkman »

The concert website lists the Sat lineup:

The Doobie Brothers
Huey Lewis & The News
Tower of Power
Lydia Pense and Cold Blood
Lara Johnston
Pat Simmons, Jr.

There is a Sunday (30 Sep) show too, but no lineup yet. The presence of HL and the News on Sat. lends credence to the hope of a MAIT show on Sunday.

BTW, tix are 100 GA (lawn), 300 VIP
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Doobie Brothers
.......including one John McFee.......the signs are looking good!
ramalama

tension mounts

Post by ramalama »

IF the concert will be at the BR Cohn winery, it will not be September 29. That lineup will be:
The Doobie Brothers
Huey Lewis & The News
Tower of Power
Lydia Pense and Cold Blood
Lara Johnston
Pat Simmons, Jr

The lineup for September 30 has yet to be announced.
ramalama

Post by ramalama »

BR Cohn Winery as a venue seems less likely now that day 2 of the fesival has been announced, though there still is the possibility of a Mystery (Dance) Performer to be announced

B.R. Cohn Winery Amphitheater, Glen Ellen, CA
General Admission Tickets: $75 in advance - $80 at the door
(General admission tickets are for lawn seating ~ no chairs permitted.)
VIP Tickets: $300
General Admission tickets will go on sale here on the website Sunday, July 22 at 10:00am.
12:00 P.M. - 6:00 P.M. (Doors open at 11:00 A.M.)

Three Dog Night
Canned Heat
Taj Mahal
Special guests to be announced
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... 002&sc=549

The San Francisco Chronicle

Leah Garchik

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

(extract)

Elvis Costello will play with the defunct Marin County band Clover at the Great American Music Hall in October, in a 30th anniversary celebration of their collaboration on his first album, "My Aim Is True." Huey Lewis used to play harmonica with Clover, but he was in Amsterdam the weekend that album was recorded.

http://www.musichallsf.com/calendar/october2007.html

Nick Lowe
plays there Oct. 9th ; a combo. date , maybe ?
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Oh yeah... This gig is same weekend as Hardly Strictly Bluegrass.... It's going to be a great weekend of music. EXCELLENT. Could E.C. & N.L. be on the HSB bill? I hope so.. Other hopefuls - Wilco, David Bromberg, Ryan Adams, John Wesley Harding w/ Chris von Sneidern (just saw them last night.. had some twangy tunes.. perfect for this gig!), T-Bone Burnett, Ramblin' Jack... more, more, more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From listserv-

Update: I contacted a source at the Great American Music Hall and got
this
reply:

Hi Nick,
sadly this is still way up in the air - i assume you heard about it in
the
Chronicle the other day? We asked them not to print that but they went

ahead with it anyway...now we are getting questions from all sides and
we
dont have answers (yet)! Rest assured we are trying our best to make
it
happen but Elvis was also offered a big opening slot on a tour so he
hasnt
confirmed yet.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Oh nice response.. who are these half wits!? Oh yeah, we don't have this booked yet, but we are going publish it on our website and sell tickets for this gig, anyhow... I don't understand this - "Elvis was also offered a big opening slot on a tour..." What? Unless he is opening for God, I don't see how E.C. can be an opening act.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Unless he is opening for God, I don't see how E.C. can be an opening act.
He opened for the Stones not so long ago - which I guess is similar.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

MOJO wrote:Oh nice response.. who are these half wits!? Oh yeah, we don't have this booked yet, but we are going publish it on our website and sell tickets for this gig, anyhow... I don't understand this - "Elvis was also offered a big opening slot on a tour..." What? Unless he is opening for God, I don't see how E.C. can be an opening act.
I don't think they published anything on their website, or offered any tickets. It's the SF Chronicle that said it's happening. I think the venue's response was honest and helpful. As for EC opening for someone, I know he did a one-off with the Stones last year, and he opened for Dylan when Dylan played some shows in Paris, London, and Dublin in 1995. I think Dylan is the act being alluded to here.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

I don't see anything about Elvis on the calendar.

Elvis also did a one-off opening for Neil Young in 2003.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Oops... my bad, misread the thread. ignore my ignorance.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i agree...it must be dylan they are referring to. bob usually does the post summer part of the tour in october/november. and THAT would be a double bill to see here in the states!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

oh, and he opened for GENESIS 1982 in Philly too!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Record Collector with the feature that , when Nick Lowe was being interviewed for it, revealed the news about this show , is out. Besides a three page retelling of the MAIT story , the conclusion includes this -

....and Elvis himself is planning to mark the anniversary year with a special performance at the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival in San Francisco in October. He'll be backed by the original Clover musicians , playing the album in its original running order.

http://www.strictlybluegrass.com/

'Join us on Oct 5, 6 & 7, 2007 for Hardly Strictly Bluegrass 7 '

http://www.recordcollectormag.com/site/ ... efault.asp