ELVIS for LEXUS!

Pretty self-explanatory
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

...or sing Pump It Up as he pumps up the tyres with one of those old push down pumps.
It makes me sad, too. He has crossed a line I never thought he would.
Right, he never needs to do it. There is an unspoken agreement between artist and listener based on trust built up over time that stipulates that the artist shouldn't do embarrassing shit, and I feel this violates it. For years you go through the effort of telling people how great he is thinking he'll never let you down, and now they can just turn around and say "fuck Elvis, he does ads for Lexus FFS!". His old mate Tom Waits would be disgusted at this, it's not much better than taking the informercial route. He did say in that recent interview that he was happy not to chase fame and live on the margins or words to that effect, so why this? There are lots of other ways to raise your profile if that's what he's trying to do.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Disappointing on the surface, but I rarely feel qualified to judge other people's motivations.
A rope leash

Sounds serious

Post by A rope leash »

You mean maybe he really does like the sound system and he would do the commericial for free and he tried to give the money back?

(I did note that he makes no mention of anything other than Beethoven, so I guess it's a bit of a null endorsement, but still...)
TX_Fan

Post by TX_Fan »

..I wasn't the least bit offended by this. I found it entertaining. Let the guy build the twins a nice trust fund.

I would, however, like to see some new material
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

bambooneedle wrote:...or sing Pump It Up as he pumps up the tyres with one of those old push down pumps.

Right, he never needs to do it. There is an unspoken agreement between artist and listener based on trust built up over time that stipulates that the artist shouldn't do embarrassing shit, and I feel this violates it. For years you go through the effort of telling people how great he is thinking he'll never let you down, and now they can just turn around and say "fuck Elvis, he does ads for Lexus FFS!". His old mate Tom Waits would be disgusted at this, it's not much better than taking the informercial route. He did say in that recent interview that he was happy not to chase fame and live on the margins or words to that effect, so why this? There are lots of other ways to raise your profile if that's what he's trying to do.
So when Bruce was shilling for Kerry, touring with him and holding free concerts, he was promoting product. Is it okay for an artist to take a political stance and endorse a person (a weak person, with lot's of baggage, although arguably the lesser of two evils), but not okay to endorse a product. I know that you are a big Broooooce fan. Do you look the other way on the political front? Frankly, if I pay to see Elvis play and he shills for any politcal party, I have no use for it. I read about politics when I am not trying to enjoy life through entertainment. Elvis and the like are entertainers. Nothing qualifies them to shill for a particular candidateother then they have two turntables and a microphone.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From listserv -

That picture of Elvis looking so startled ( in the driving school car -J.F.) was pinned up on the wall of
the
Taunton office I was working in at the time. Unfortunately, one of my
so-called colleagues had pasted on to it a cut-out of my head at around
steering-wheel height. This gave the unfortunate (and, I'm sure, quite
unintentional) impression that I had just bobbed up for air after
committing
what I believe m'learned friends would describe as an "act of gross
public
indecency" with the diminutive rock star.

You didn't have to work there to go mad, but it helped.

Mark
A rope leash

Renault?

Post by A rope leash »

Hey John, thanks for posting that photo. Is that a French car?

I wouldn't care for Elvis shilling for politcal candidates, either...but as far as spreading his politcal philosophy around during his shows that doesn't bother me. He doesn't make any money off of it, and I tend to agree with his point of view. I always thought he was totally against capitalist usury and oppression...the system as a whole, in other words. If he has ever endorsed a candidate, I'm not aware of it. We know he doesn't care for conservatives, but I'm not so sure that mainstream liberals really go his way, either.

The bottom line is...he bowed down.
John

Re: Renault?

Post by John »

A rope leash wrote:Hey John, thanks for posting that photo. Is that a French car?
I think that is a Ford Fiesta. A bit like
http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery/ga ... 61&page=10
migdd

Post by migdd »

Is the question really whether EC bowed down, as we all have in small ways, or that he did it in such a high-profile manner for the whole world to see on their little glass teats?
A rope leash

Cute Fiesta

Post by A rope leash »

Hey, we had Fiestas here in the States, too. Yours were better.

Would it be different if he was pitching for a guitar-maker in a musician's magazine? Yep.

I can't help but think this is some sort of favor to someone.

You know I saw this ad twice this week because they targeted me...the same which might like Christine or Boston Legal would probably be swayed to buy Lexus if Elvis said so....perhaps.

Like I got Lexus money. Hey, he sells well in Japan, too, no?

Hey, I've only got four channels, and two of those are ABC....Two and a Half Men, House, The Simpsons, and funny home videos is all I got.

Do rich snots that buy Lexus-level cars admire Elvis? Surely Toyota did their homework on this...I had no idea.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I saw it last night during ER - they must be targeting us too... I 'm not quite sure what we are, but we don't have Lexus money either.

Honestly, how many people are going to recognize him?

House - I started watching that because of Elvis.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
A rope leash

I'm into Beck now, anyway...

Post by A rope leash »

House is so stupidly intense. You can tell when a commercial is coming, because the patient pukes up and goes into convulsions.

I got into Two and a Half Men because of Elvis. Maybe that show got a boost when he was on it, and it showed up on the Ivory Tower radar.

I'll tell you what I think. A lot of folks who didn't like Elvis and thought we were all weird have now come to recognize what we have always saw in him. He represents integrity, genius, longevity and talent...and also the loudly rebellious voice of Punk and New Wave, which is perhaps more fondly remembered than the glam that preceeded it, and the poodle that came after. I don't really see Lexus drivers as being into Toto or Great White, either.

So, I think people know who he is, except perhaps the rednecks who would never have anything to do with him anyway. It's probably good to get him in small doses...too much cool at once could start a riot.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I wanted to save my comments until I actually saw the commercial. At no point during the spot does Elvis say "You should be a Lexus!" Instead, he is shown talking about classical music rather eloquently. I have absolutely no problem with this for the same reason that I have no problem with corporate-sponsored tours or HP using The Kinks' "Picture Book" in their commercials.

I have much more of a problem with Elvis appearing on third-rate television sitcoms like Two And A Half Men, because frankly I think that's a lot more embarrasing.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
A rope leash

Really...?

Post by A rope leash »

Really?
mood swung

I smell a class war coming...

Post by mood swung »

I've always found his TV appearances completely out of character and completely hilarious, from Two and a Half to Frasier to Letterman.

All my little cultish obsessions are going mainstream, dammit.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
A rope leash

O! My image!

Post by A rope leash »

Yep, I like his televison appearances on various shows. I wish he had his own. As for Two and a Half, yeah, it's a piece of crap...but it can be quite funny if you're just a simple-minded country bumkin like me. These shows aren't made for the opera and caviar set. It beats the Hell out of George Lopez, anyway.

As for Elvis not mentioning the product, I'm sure it was a prerequisite for his participation. It's not like he's putting it in Toyota's face or anything...this is what threy agreed on...he makes no direct endorsement, but still his image is being used to sell the product.

Would you have let Jerry Garcia do this?

I hope someday Elvis takes over for Letterman.
AlmostBlue

Post by AlmostBlue »

can't somebody upload the spot on veoh, youtube, or soapbox?
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

TX_Fan wrote:..I wasn't the least bit offended by this. I found it entertaining. Let the guy build the twins a nice trust fund.

I would, however, like to see some new material

I'll agree with that.
I'm not angry anymore....
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

pophead2k wrote:Disappointing on the surface, but I rarely feel qualified to judge other people's motivations.

I agree with this too.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

And, hey, he was looking pretty cute too.
:wink:
A rope leash

Like anal sex, selling out only hurts the first time...

Post by A rope leash »

I suppose you're entitled to know why I'm making contact
With acquaintances scattered all over the land
I'd promise you now and again that I'd honor the contract
If it hadn't crumbled away in my hand

Well, we broke that vow
Independently now
But I don't know why
You absolutely deny

You bowed down, you bowed down, you bowed down

When you first looked away I might say it was really a kindness
It must have hurt to see how dreams sour
Now they say that justice and love are the next things to blindness
Well you're getting plenty of both of them now

And so you parade
Where appointments are made
And never meant to be kept
Unless you accept

You'll value the burnt amber of falling leaves
And you'll long to delay
You'll feel their breath as they whisper
It won't hurt you now to betray
If you just bow down

And now every time that we meet on the edge of hysteria
You're helping them sell off some new party line
I remember a time when you would have seemed so superior
And now you say will you please meet this good friend of mine

So you're in demand
As long as you kiss their hand
But all the applause
Is for their name not yours

You bowed down
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Haven't seen the ad, but from the sounds of it, I find it a little odd.

The idea of him talking about Beethoven in the backseat of a Lexus - yeah, embarassing is a good word for it.

Why couldn't he do a Huggies or Pampers commercial?
A rope leash

Good one

Post by A rope leash »

:twisted: :lol:
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

I caught the ad on Sunday.

As appalled as I am for Elvis selling out to Lexus; I did find the ad funny.

After talking about Beethoven (1st Movement of his 9th symphony, I believe) he starts conducting in the back seat. It is very funny.
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

Forget about Cadillac, Mercedes and Toyota!
Hurry Down Doomsday the plugs are taking over...

And he can call his next album "Any King of America's Shilling"

Costello's appearances on crap TV shows are to be expected. Have you ever seen that movie he was in back in '79, "Americathon"? That makes Two and A Half Men look like Lawrence of Arabia.

I assume he wasn't paid peanuts to do this Lexus apprearance?