My Aim Is True 30th anniversary deluxe reissue

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

My Aim Is True 30th anniversary deluxe reissue

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=377911

In addition to the previously-announced Elvis Costello reissues from the early part of his career, his catalog is also on its way to digital formats as well. Costello's first 11 albums will be available on the iTunes Music Store exclusively for 30 days, beginning May 1. His songs will also be released as ringtones. Additionally, Universal is preparing a fall release of a 30th anniversary deluxe edition of Costello's debut album, My Aim Is True.

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_ht ... _id=231807

"The Best Of Elvis Costello: The First 10 Years" and "Rock And Roll Music"
Digital Premiere for Costello's First 11 Original Albums; Elvis Costello and the Imposters Set for 10-Date U.S.Tour In May

SANTA MONICA, CA -- (MARKET WIRE) -- March 28, 2007 -- On May 1, Hip-O/Universal Music Enterprises will release "The Best Of Elvis Costello: The First 10 Years" and "Rock And Roll Music," a rock-themed collection of hits, key album tracks, b-sides and previously unreleased rarities.

May 1st will also see the digital premiere of Costello's first 11 original albums, marking the first time they will be available for digital downloads and mobile tones. These 11 original albums will be available for download exclusively on the iTunes Music Store (http://www.itunes.com) for 30 days before they are made available to all the online partners. The albums will also be released in their original versions as digipaks with booklets and obie sleeves.

Both of the 22-song collections were compiled by Costello and signal the start of the label's work with the musician's catalog, with a previously unreleased version of "Welcome to the Working Week" on "Rock and Roll Music" presaging the fall release of the 30th anniversary ("My Aim is True Deluxe Edition").
Last edited by sweetest punch on Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Here we go again. :wink:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

bronxapostle wrote:UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think that this release is much more aimed at us (the fans) than the upcoming reissues. I expect a 'real' deluxe reissue that's worth every penny that it costs.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
migdd

Post by migdd »

sweetest punch wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think that this release is much more aimed at us (the fans) than the upcoming reissues. I expect a 'real' deluxe reissue that's worth every penny that it costs.
Well said, SP.

My previous post wasn't refering to another set of reissues but the debate they would trigger. I would expect that a 30th Anniversary reissue would be pretty special, exceptionally "deluxe" and well worth the money.

For better or worse, EC has an unmined arsenal of unreleased material in the vaults to sweeten any further reissues and as long as we fans are willing to put our money down for these fun and exciting outtakes and live tracks, the reissues will keep coming.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.therockradio.com/2007/04/elv ... hival.html

Elvis Costello plams more archival releases

Elvis Costello is planning a year full of archival releases to commemorate the 30th anniversary of his first album, My Aim Is True. On May 1st he'll unveil two new compilations, The Best Of Elvis Costello: The First 10 Years and Rock And Roll Music, and reissues of his first 11 albums. Those titles will also be released digitally -- exclusively via the iTunes Music Store for 30 days before becoming available at other digital music retailers. A 30th anniversary deluxe edition of My Aim Is True will be released this fall with bonus material such as demos, alternate versions, and live tracks.

The Best Of Elvis Costello: The First 10 Years features 22 songs, all previously released, while Rock And Roll Music includes an unreleased demo version of "Welcome to the Working Week" that will also be featured on the My Aim Is True deluxe edition.

Costello and his band, the Imposters, begin a 10-date U.S. tour on May 2nd at the House of Blues in West Hollywood, California. In July the group will play two shows in London, England, and then tour Europe.
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

Do we think that EC will write some liner notes for Rock and Roll music (etc) to go with Girls Girls Girls and his other reissue notes? Or will we have to wait until the autobiography's out...?
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis should take a leaf out of Paddy McAloon's book and re-record MAIT -

see

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... 690#100690
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

johnfoyle wrote:Elvis should take a leaf out of Paddy McAloon's book and re-record MAIT -
Didn't Prince claim to have re-recorded 1999, and I recall some recent incarnation of Guns 'n' Roses re-recorded APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION?

T-Bone Burnett seemed to suggest he wanted to re-record PROOF THROUGH THE NIGHT, and sure enough a few reworked tracks from that album appeared on his recent anthology.
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

I think it would great if Elvis re-recorded Get Happy!!!, with the Imposters, Allen Toussaint, and the Crescent City Horns
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Don't let Bambooneedle hear you post that comment, Mic. He's particularly sensitive to that kind of thing.

God knows why....
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
CloverFan

Post by CloverFan »

Elvis should take a leaf out of Paddy McAloon's book and re-record MAIT
And reunite Clover to record it?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

And reunite Clover to record it?
Why do that since they already did it in '76/7? Paddy McAloon totally reinvented a classic album by doing a version of it that scrambles up the original and serves it up anew. Hearing the two Jazz Piano versions of Funny Valentine - from 2003 and 2006 - has me thinking that Elvis has never been in better control of his voice. A new take on MAIT would be just great.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Live Cuts, Demos Enrich Costello's 'My Aim Is True'

June 20, 2007, 12:50 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
Elvis Costello's classic 1977 debut "My Aim Is True" will be the first original album reissued as part of a new catalog campaign by Hip-O/UMe, Billboard.com can reveal. Due Sept. 11, the "Deluxe Edition" of the project features 48 tracks across two discs, including 29 previously unreleased or new-to-CD bonus songs.

Disc one includes the original album plus outtakes of "No Action," "Living in Paradise," "Radio Sweetheart" and "Stranger in the House" and eight additional demos recorded at London's Pathway Studios.

The second disc is comprised mostly of an Aug. 7, 1977, concert at London's Nashville Rooms, plus five songs from soundcheck earlier in the day. Costello's only prior release of a complete live performance was the rare 1978 album "Live at the El Mocambo."

"It doesn't require a huge amount of soul-searching to do it," Costello told Billboard.com in April of digging through his vaults for the Universal catalog upgrade. "You're trying to make a program that might interest people who've never heard you before. It's another way to present it that's neither superior or inferior; it's just different."

Costello will tour Europe in July and has a solitary Sept. 8 show in Philadelphia on tap as well.

Here is the track list for "My Aim Is True: Deluxe Edition":

Disc one:
"Welcome to the Working Week"
"Miracle Man"
"No Dancing"
"Blame It on Cain"
"Alison"
"Sneaky Feelings"
"(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes"
"Less Than Zero"
"Mystery Dance"
"Pay It Back"
"I'm Not Angry"
"Waiting for the End of the World"
"Watching the Detectives"
"No Action" (outtake)
"Living in Paradise" (outtake)
"Radio Sweetheart" (outtake)
"Stranger in the House" (outtake)
"Welcome to the Working Week" (Pathway Studios demo)
"Blue Minute" (Pathway Studios demo)
"Miracle Man" (Pathway Studios demo)
"Waiting for the End of the World" (Pathway Studios demo)
"Call on Me" (Pathway Studios demo)
"(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes" (Pathway Studios demo)
"I Don't Want To Go Home" (Pathway Studios demo)
"I Hear a Melody" (Pathway Studios demo)

Disc two (live in London, Aug. 7, 1977)
Introduction
"Welcome to the Working Week"
"Blame It on Cain"
"No Dancing"
"Waiting for the End of the World"
"Night Rally"
"Hoover Factory"
"No Action"
"(I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea"
"Miracle Man"
"The Beat"
"Less Than Zero"
"(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes"
"Lipstick Vogue"
"Watching the Detectives"
"Lip Service"
"Mystery Dance"
"Alison"
"Pay It Back" (soundcheck)
"Radio Sweetheart" (soundcheck)
"Sneaky Feelings" (soundcheck)
"Crawling in the USA" (soundcheck)
"Alison" (soundcheck)
And No Coffee Table

I'm impressed. There's quite a lot of new stuff here, and adding bonus soundcheck songs to a complete 1977 concert exceeds my expectations. I'm not even sure what "I Don't Want To Go Home" is. You won't hear any complaints from me about being "forced" to buy the album again.

Interesting that most of the bonuses from the Rhino CD are missing ("Imagination (Is A Powerful Deceiver)," the six Honky Tonk demos, and the two live tracks). I wonder if these will turn up somewhere else.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I'm not even sure what "I Don't Want To Go Home" is.

A Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes cover perhaps ?

´ I Don't Want to Go Home ´ Release Date: 1976

http://www.southsidejohnny.com/
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

And No Coffee Table wrote:I'm impressed. There's quite a lot of new stuff here, and adding bonus soundcheck songs to a complete 1977 concert exceeds my expectations. I'm not even sure what "I Don't Want To Go Home" is. You won't hear any complaints from me about being "forced" to buy the album again.

Interesting that most of the bonuses from the Rhino CD are missing ("Imagination (Is A Powerful Deceiver)," the six Honky Tonk demos, and the two live tracks). I wonder if these will turn up somewhere else.
I, too, am impressed. These will probably turn up on some sort of Flip City collection. I think I speculated elsewhere that Elvis is probably spending those sleepless nights while on baby duty listening to all those many gigs on tape. If this MAIT repackage is anything to go by, he really has got things in focus. I think I have an audience recording of that '77 show somewhere, I must check it out. There are excellent quality recordings of Flip City demo sessions, and at least one live recording, so when he gets around to making a collection of them the Honky Tonk demos would fit in better there. I wonder if any Rusty demos will ever become available?
And No Coffee Table

johnfoyle wrote:A Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes cover perhaps ?
Could be... There's also a Doug Sahm song with that title, and Elvis actually mentions Sahm in reference to "Motel Matches" in the iTunes Originals set.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Interesting.
It will probably be worth the cover charge for disc 2 alone. Wonder what the suggested retail will be. You could almost forget that the original album was included amongst all of the extras and it would still be worth the price of admission.
Does anybody know if any of the outtakes on disc one are with Clover or are they merely more solo demos (yawn)?
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

martinfoyle wrote:I wonder if any Rusty demos will ever become available?
I think Allan Mayes still has them. I guess he wouldn't mind...
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

migdd wrote:Does anybody know if any of the outtakes on disc one are with Clover or are they merely more solo demos (yawn)?
I'd bet that they're all solo.
I doubt that any demos were done with Clover.
(They just went in and bashed the studio cuts out...)

I must say -- I'm delighted with this release.
Having said that -- for public consumption, I'm a little surprised that they consider an August 1977 show with the Attractions worthy for release in (seemingly) it's entirety.
Can't wait, myself...
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
There's also a Doug Sahm song with that title, and Elvis actually mentions Sahm in reference to "Motel Matches" in the iTunes Originals set.
I'm guessing your right - listening to the Doug Sahm song now and it's easy to imagine Elvis doing this.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I am impressed as well. I think the CD will probably retail for the usual price c£13/$25. I can't see there being a huge market outside of the normal Elvis fan (if there is such a thing :lol: ). Some Elvis fans here may even decide it's not for them.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Why not do without the re-issue of the album all together and just relase the live stuff? Instead of re-issuing MAIT for the millionth time, why dont they just start issuing a nice set of Live albums from different periods that collect together into a box set. There must be a ton of live material out there waiting to be released. Id love to have some 'Spinning Song Book' material, some 'Imperial Bedroom' era live stuff, some stuff from the 'Beard Years' etc etc etc
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
migdd

Post by migdd »

Mike Boom wrote:Why not do without the re-issue of the album all together and just relase the live stuff? Instead of re-issuing MAIT for the millionth time, why dont they just start issuing a nice set of Live albums from different periods that collect together into a box set. There must be a ton of live material out there waiting to be released. Id love to have some 'Spinning Song Book' material, some 'Imperial Bedroom' era live stuff, some stuff from the 'Beard Years' etc etc etc
It sounds like that is exactly what they are doing (at least with MAIT), except they're throwing in the original album as a freebie!! :lol: