Live Elvis Costello CD's in our future?

Pretty self-explanatory
bobst

Live Elvis Costello CD's in our future?

Post by bobst »

This isn't about bootlegs. This is about Elvis releasing live CD's.
I've been planning to give Elvis a couple of live Richard Thompson CD's the next time I see him after a concert. It appears he won't be playing here in the Midwest until next year, so I won't be able to do this for a while.
Elvis is a Richard Thompson fan, so I would give him a couple of the live CD's Richard has made available at Beesweb, the official RT site (http://www.richardthompson-music.com). RT has released 7 so far, 3 in the last year. He recently released an old concert from 1988. You can purchase them at his shows or online. RT does this because he's nice to his fans, and this is his way of battling bootlegs.
So I'd give him these CD's and explain how these are not boots, and what Richard Thompson is doing. I'd also try to suggest Elvis do the same.
As I won't be seeing Elvis until at least next year, could someone attending his concert at least inform him of the Richard Thompson site?
Sour Milk Cow

Re: Live Elvis Costello CD's in our future?

Post by Sour Milk Cow »

bobst wrote:This isn't about bootlegs. This is about Elvis releasing live CD's.
I think that this is what Rhino should do once they are done putting out the reissues. And I'm totally in favor of it being an online venture like RT's, maybe something along the lines of Rhino Handmade, where the albums are limited editions?

I think they should put out a set to represent all the major tours, kind of like what they did last year with Dylan's Rolling Thunder 2 disc set, which wasn't a complete show but a representation taken from multiple dates on the tour. (This would be a way of avoiding each set having "Accidents Will Happen" and "Watching The Detectives" on it, which gets old after a while)

It would be great to reissue Live At El Mocambo, plus the Royal Philharmonic show from 1980, a show with the TKO Horns, a solo set from 1984 including the Coward Brothers, a Rude Five show, etc.

Plus deluxe sets to cover major live events like The Spinning Songbook Tour and the Meltdown festival. And, of course, more recent shows with the Imposters would be welcome as well. If they put out a steady stream, they would be snapped up by his diehard fanbase. EC recently commented that artists of his age and stature would probably have to put out more records to a smaller number of people, like jazz musicians. A series of live releases would be a smart move, IMHO.