Studio vs. Acoustic/Live song versions

Pretty self-explanatory
TX_Fan

Studio vs. Acoustic/Live song versions

Post by TX_Fan »

There are several songs that I can't hardly stand to listen to the studio version, while the Acoustic or live version is great.

Examples:
Veronica - I like the fast acoustic demo version on the bonus CD on trust or the slower live version as seen on the 'A Case for Song" video. I do not care for the studio version much. The music is hard to listen to.

Couldn't call it Unexpected #4 - The carnival-souding music on the studio version is horrible. However, on the MLAR bonus CD, the live acoustic version is wonderful. Nice Piano background. You can truly enjoy the excellent lyrics composed by our pal.

I Hope your Happy Now - The studio version music makes my teeth hurt. I don't care for it at all. But the acoustic version on the bonus CD of King of America is excellent!

Green Shirt - The organ & weird drums take away from the studio version, while the fast acoustic version on CD2 is great.

Party Girl - well, I like both versions, but the slower - live version on CD 2 of Armed Forces is better IMO

What do you guys think? Do you agree or have other examples?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I've said this before, but I thought the songs from The Delivery Man were much better when Elvis played them on the last Costello/Nieve tour a few years back... particularly "Monkey To Man" and "Needle Time"
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
snapyou

Post by snapyou »

"Veronica - I like the fast acoustic demo version on the bonus CD on trust"

Are you sure it's on Trust?I've got the 2cd set..no sign of it!
TX_Fan

Post by TX_Fan »

snapyou wrote:"Veronica - I like the fast acoustic demo version on the bonus CD on trust"

Are you sure it's on Trust?I've got the 2cd set..no sign of it!

Oops...Sorry,I meant Spike - Bonus CD

I also like the slow, piano version of "Accidents will Happen" on Armed Forces - Bonus CD...probably not as well as the fast version but it's still good.
DeathWearsABigHat

Post by DeathWearsABigHat »

I'd take the live version of "Just About Glad" from the Costello-Nieve live boxset over the studio version. The lyrics are sung with much more passion & humour on the live version. EC sounds like he's really enjoying himself singing it.
"trust the wizards, here we go" http://www.trustthewizards.com
SkaDan

Post by SkaDan »

i like the live version of Everyday I write.. on the bonus PTC cd over the actual album version. i'm also really fond of the live version of Big Sister's Clothes. are we including Alternate versions? cause if so, i think the alternate Clowntime is Over, the one that appears on Taking Liberties and the Get Happy bonus disc, is more likable that of the album version, though the album version is catchier, but i love the way Elvis sings the alternate take of it, he's got more passion and feeling behind his voice than on the album version.