johnfoyle

Elvis plays House Of Blues,West Hollywood, CA May 2 '07

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.pollstar.com/tour/searchall. ... OS&PSKey=Y

Elvis Costello

Wed 05/02/07 West Hollywood, CA House Of Blues
migdd

Post by migdd »

Isn't this the 2nd EC show scheduled for May? Wasn't there one announced for Reno around the same time?

Now the wondering begins. . .

Are these solo shows? Imposters gigs? Some other format?

Are these just the first dates of a more extensive tour or are they just a couple of one-offs?

Will they be showcases for new material? :D

Or just quickie solo best-of sets?

Anyone care to take a wild guess??? :wink:
Last edited by migdd on Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I will be there. I love the HOB in West Hollywood. Can't wait. Right down official "OJ Simpson Flight from Justice" Highway, the 405.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

It's with the Imposters. Enter "imposters" in the Pollstar.com search box, and you'll see the same show listed under their name.

(I didn't figure this out myself. Credit goes to JohnH on the Wiki site.)
migdd

Post by migdd »

And No Coffee Table wrote:It's with the Imposters. Enter "imposters" in the Pollstar.com search box, and you'll see the same show listed under their name.

(I didn't figure this out myself. Credit goes to JohnH on the Wiki site.)
Great! That knocks the "one-off solo greatest hits show" off the list of potential formats. Hope the boys make it down south if this is indeed the start of a full-fledged tour.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

migdd wrote:Isn't this the 2nd EC show scheduled for May? Wasn't there one announced for Reno around the same time?

Are these just the first dates of a more extensive tour or are they just a couple of one-offs?

Maybe they tour in support of the "30th anniversary - deluxe - expanded - enhanced" edition of My Aim Is True (with bonusdics and bonusDVD). :)

http://www.elviscostello.info/disc/offi ... t/mait.htm
1977-07-22 My Aim Is True
1977-03-25 Less Than Zero/ Radio Sweetheart (single mix)
1977-05-27 Alison/ Welcome To The Working Week
1977-07-07 (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes/ Mystery Dance
Last edited by sweetest punch on Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bronxapostle

keep my streak going!!!!!!!!

Post by bronxapostle »

i have seen him EVERY year since 1993 JULIET LETTERS (and 8 of 14 before that)! as long as i get one show, even though i'd prefer 6, i'll be happy. making it 15 consecutive years. who would have thought???
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I've had to resort to seeing him overseas - well, the North Sea anyway.

I'm hoping he comes to England but if not it'll have to be another part of Europe.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

Re: keep my streak going!!!!!!!!

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

bronxapostle wrote:i have seen him EVERY year since 1993 JULIET LETTERS (and 8 of 14 before that)! as long as i get one show, even though i'd prefer 6, i'll be happy. making it 15 consecutive years. who would have thought???
And how many times in total? Board record?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch wrote:
migdd wrote:Isn't this the 2nd EC show scheduled for May? Wasn't there one announced for Reno around the same time?

Maybe they tour in support of the "30th anniversary - deluxe - expanded - enhanced" edition of My Aim Is True (with bonusdics and bonusDVD). :)
Maybe my guess wasn't that bad at all... :) :)

See: http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... 7&start=25 :

From the extremely reliable MusicTap:

"Hip-O Records plan to revisit the Elvis Costello album collection with an across the board re-release of titles that include My Aim Is True, This Year's Model, Armed Forces, Get Happy, Trust, Imperial Bedroom, Almost Blue, Punch the Clock, Rock and Roll Music, King of America, Goodbye Cruel World, Blood and Chocolate, and The Best of the First 10 Years. These are planned for reissue on May 1."

According to Jimbo at the IMWAN message board:
http://imwan.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6739
"Bill Levenson is working with Elvis on a series of "thematic" comps. Rock and Roll Music might be the first of these".
"If it all comes together as planned, the deluxe reissue of My Aim Is True should be really special. "
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

I think you're right on target. He's going to promote the reissues!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Any news?
And No Coffee Table

Great show! It was almost entirely old stuff with a decided focus on the newly reissued 1977-1986 catalog, but definitely NOT a "greatest hits" show despite the inclusion of a good number of the usual suspects.

Here's an APPROXIMATE setlist, entirely from memory. I've undoubtedly jumbled the order a bit, but all the songs should be there:

Welcome To The Working Week
Shabby Doll
The Beat
Lovers Walk (!)
Party Girl
Strict Time (!)
Big Tears
Clubland
Beyond Belief
Shallow Grave
Kinder Murder
Alibi
Watching The Detectives
American Gangster Time (new song! I'm guessing the title)
Lipstick Vogue - with a line from American Girl for some reason
Watch Your Step - with a couple lines from Secondary Modern
Riot Act - last song of the main set

Encores (three sets of them -- yes, EC is back to that old trick):

Dissolve
Uncomplicated
The Imposter (!)
All I've Got To Do (the Beatles song! a highlight)
High Fidelity
Man Out Of Time
(I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea - new arrangement
Radio, Radio
Pump It Up
Alison - EC solo
Little Triggers
Motel Matches
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?

I don't remember the new song in enough detail to describe it, but I very much want to hear it again. EC introduced it as being "about a mercenary bastard."

EC turned over his guitar at the end of "Motel Matches" to show off the "Forget Iraq, Rebuild New Orleans" sticker he got from John O.

Davey deserves a special mention for his backing vocals, especially on "Party Girl" ("tiiiiiiiiiiiime!") and "Strict Time."

There was no opening act. The band took the stage within five minutes of the official start time.

As promised, there was a free CD "exclusively" for Visa Signature cardholders. It wasn't really that exclusive though, since several people without a Visa Signature card (myself included) got one by asking politely. It has one song each from the 1977-1986 albums: "Welcome To The Working Week," "This Year's Girl," "Green Shirt," "New Amsterdam," "Watch Your Step," "I'm Your Toy," "Shabby Doll," "Let Them All Talk," "The Only Flame In Town," "Lovable," and "Blue Chair." It's probably not a coincidence that none of these songs appear on the new "best of" compilation.
Sulkygirl1

Post by Sulkygirl1 »

Whoa! Great setlist! Can't wait to see Elvis and the boys in DC! :D
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://patrickwalsh.blog-city.com/elvis ... ilding.htm

(extract)

Elvis Has Rocked the Building

« H E » email

posted Thursday, 3 May 2007

Tonight I had the privilege of seeing my favorite musician of all time live -- in a small, intimate venue. Elvis Costello, in typically jaw-dropping form, at the House of Blues. Absolutely incredible. This was my fourth time seeing him. With thirty years of material at his disposal, I never know what to expect. Since 1977, he's been Country Elvis, Roots Elvis, Classical Elvis...the list goes on. Tonight, thank God, he was my favorite Elvis -- all about the rock and roll.

Mr. Costello was very, very angry about something, which gave the whole show an added layer of intensity and excitement. In all the previous shows I've attended, he's been very cheerful and chatty, going off on long, rambling monologues about whatever pops into his head. Tonight, he uttered literally one sentence to the audience: "This song is about a terrible bastard."

For me, this was only a plus because it allowed him to cram in an incredible amount of music, and aside from a few quibbles, the set list could scarcely have been improved upon. I'm sorry if you're looking for a funny take on the concert a la the Neil Diamond show I went to - but the show just kicked too much ass to joke about. I'm drained.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Great setlist. If you went to the toilet/bathroom on a couple of occasions and missed a few songs you could have been forgiven for thinking it was the early 1980s.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
And No Coffee Table

Mr. Costello was very, very angry about something, which gave the whole show an added layer of intensity and excitement. In all the previous shows I've attended, he's been very cheerful and chatty, going off on long, rambling monologues about whatever pops into his head. Tonight, he uttered literally one sentence to the audience: "This song is about a terrible bastard."
There were a couple of other sentences, but it's true that he said very little between songs. I didn't get the impression he was angry though.

Ken on the listserv points out that "American Gangster Time" was played once before, when EC made a surprise appearance at a T Bone Burnett concert last October. (The title was reported as "Flag Song" at the time.)
Otis Westinghouse

Wow, how exciting. How nice to see such an imaginative setlist, and yes, draewing so much from the 80s. Would love to see Strict Time. He could go further and drop Pump It Up and a couple of other old warhorses, but having Little Triggers and Motel Matches at the end must have been orgasmic.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Great setlist, indeed!
I don't think I've heard either Strict Time or Watch Your Step live since about 1982!!

Wish there was a date a bit closer but it looks like I'm going to miss this little tour.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117933 ... id=34&cs=1

Elvis Costello and the Imposters

(House of Blues Sunset Strip; 1,000 capacity; $95) Presented by Visa Signature and House of Blues Concerts. Reviewed May 2, 2007.

Band: Elvis Costello, Steve Nieve, Pete Thomas, Davey Faragher.

By STEVEN MIRKIN

Elvis Costello wasn't in a celebratory mood at the start the House of Blues Wednesday night. Apparently, reissuing his catalog for the third time (this time on Hip-O, following in the footsteps of Rykodisc and Rhino; the selling point this time is their availability on iTunes) and the Universal imprint's release of the two "hit" collections "The Best of Elvis Costello: The First Ten Years" and "Rock and Roll Music," wasn't enough to put him in a good humor.

With an exemplary career that's allowed him to explore jazz, classical, country and R&B, perhaps Costello doesn't feel like revisiting his past; this first show on a 10-city tour (which stops at Gotham's Nokia Theater on May 16) opened up with a workmanlike, hour-long set that rushed through 17 songs with barely a word to the sold-out aud. (He did introduce a new song, "American Gangster Time," about being a "mercenary bastard").

This being Costello, there were moments worth hearing, most memorably "Alibi," a deep cut from 2002's "When I Was Cruel" that sounds like an acid-dipped Sondheim ballad sung over a splintered Neil Young guitar riff.

But when he returned for the first of three encores, which together lasted almost as long as the set, it was obvious something had changed. He still looked like he'd rather be anywhere than on stage, impatiently waiting for his crew to switch his guitars and spending most of the time between songs with his back to the crowd, but starting with an affectionate cover of "All I've Got To Do," a lesser known early Beatle song with John Lennon channeling Arthur Alexander, his singing and the playing of the Imposters became more playful, recasting some of his best known songs.

While not as radical as Dylan's reworkings, they brought a freshness to the music that was missing earlier. "Alison," performed solo, gained new melodic flourishes, especially in the middle eight, that gives the chestnut a Rodgers and Hammerstein sheen. He subtly rephrased the verses of "Pump It Up," landing on different beats, making the song sound even more breathless; and turns "(I Don't Want to Go To) Chelsea" almost unrecognizable, transferring the song's signature, stuttering guitar to Steve Nieve's keyboards.

When the evening ended with a roaring "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding," it was possible to believe that the show was more than a way for Costello to pick up a paycheck. This music may be part of his past, but, for at least a few songs, it sounded as exciting as it did 30 years ago.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis is/was in a bad mood 'cos he's missing his kids. Simple as that. I'm not a Dad myself but it's certainly something I've seen in friends away from their kids.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Otis Westinghouse

And there I was trying to pursue a policy of not downloading yet more Costello bootlegs...

Thanks for alert. I looked last night thinking it might be there and was diappointed. Can't wait to hear it.
IStandAccused

Post by IStandAccused »

johnfoyle wrote:http://patrickwalsh.blog-city.com/elvis ... ilding.htm

(extract)

Elvis Has Rocked the Building

« H E » email

posted Thursday, 3 May 2007

Tonight I had the privilege of seeing my favorite musician of all time live -- in a small, intimate venue. Elvis Costello, in typically jaw-dropping form, at the House of Blues. Absolutely incredible. This was my fourth time seeing him. With thirty years of material at his disposal, I never know what to expect. Since 1977, he's been Country Elvis, Roots Elvis, Classical Elvis...the list goes on. Tonight, thank God, he was my favorite Elvis -- all about the rock and roll.

For me, this was only a plus because it allowed him to cram in an incredible amount of music, and aside from a few quibbles, the set list could scarcely have been improved upon. I'm sorry if you're looking for a funny take on the concert a la the Neil Diamond show I went to - but the show just kicked too much ass to joke about. I'm drained.
Which song was he refering to when he said "this song is about a terrible bastard."???
*"Common sense is not so common."*Voltaire
For those who speak French, "Le sens common n'est pas si commun."
And No Coffee Table

"Deep Dark Truthful Mirror."

Actually, it was the new song "American Gangster Time," and he actually said "mercenary bastard."