Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis in Robert Altman memorial, NY , Feb.20 '07

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... bee01c6579

Altman tributes coming up
By Gregg Goldstein

Feb 14, 2007

NEW YORK -- About three months after the death of Robert Altman at age 81, several tributes have been announced for the acclaimed director.

Film Independent has created the annual Robert Altman Award, given to one film's ensemble cast and director, beginning at the 2008 Spirit Awards. In addition, memorial services for the director have been slated for Feb. 20 in New York and March 4 in Los Angeles.

At this year's Spirit Awards ceremony Feb. 24, Altman will also be bestowed with an Honorary Spirit Award "for his body of work and contribution to the ensemble genre." Helen Mirren, Robert Downey Jr., Elliott Gould, Christopher Guest, Sally Kellerman, Andie MacDowell and John C. Reilly are among the stars scheduled to pay tribute at the ceremony.

The New York memorial will feature more Altman collaborators, including Bob Balaban, Harry Belafonte, Kevin Kline, Julianne Moore, Tim Robbins, Alan Rudolph, Joan Tewkesbury, Lily Tomlin, Gary Trudeau, Picturehouse president Bob Berney and his Sandcastle 5 producers Wren Arthur and Joshua Astrachan. Altman's children Michael, Stephen, Robert Reed and Matthew will appear, and Annie Ross, William Bolcom, Elvis Costello and Robert Altman's Kansas City Orchestra are expected to perform.

"Robert Altman's films represent the uniqueness of vision Film Independent champions," Film Independent executive director Dawn Hudson said of the new award in Altman's name. "For his commitment to challenging the status quo and changing the landscape of independent film, we honor him with this new award." Each year, the Spirit Awards nominating committee will chose one film's cast and director to honor.

Altman's New York memorial service is set for noon Feb. 20 at Broadway's Majestic Theater. The Los Angeles service is scheduled for 2 p.m. March 4 at the DGA Theatre.

The director received an honorary Academy Award last year for "a career that has repeatedly reinvented the art form and inspired filmmakers and audiences alike."
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

any news on if he did indeed show AND perform???
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This just posted account doesn't mention him -

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070220/ap_ ... n_memorial

(extract)

Tuesday's memorial was also filled with music — that of the Kansas City Orchestra, jazz singer
Annie Ross, composer and pianist William Bolcom and soprano Lauren Flanigan.
IStandAccused

Post by IStandAccused »

bronxapostle wrote:any news on if he did indeed show AND perform???
He did not perform OR attend. It didn't make sense that he would anyway- as far as I know he wasn't friendly with Altman or his wife. Perhaps he was a fan of Altman's work, etc..., and I'm sure he would have been a welcome addition to the memorial but I can say with certainty- he was NOT there.
Could be because a certain "ex" of his was there and VERY friendly with Altman and his family. Her daughter starred in two of his films so...
I'm only guessing.
Last edited by IStandAccused on Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*"Common sense is not so common."*Voltaire
For those who speak French, "Le sens common n'est pas si commun."
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

He wrote 'Punishing Kiss' for Altman's Short Cuts.
IStandAccused

Post by IStandAccused »

lostdog wrote:He wrote 'Punishing Kiss' for Altman's Short Cuts.
Yes, I know but I'm not so sure they were friendly as in hang out and eat dinner kind of friendly. I'm sure Mr. Altman admired EC's talent as do many directors.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

OK Bebe
IStandAccused

Post by IStandAccused »

lostdog wrote:OK Bebe
Wha???? Not she. Sorry to upset ya with a few facts. :roll:
lostdog