Mad About The Wrong Boy

Pretty self-explanatory
Lester Burnham

Mad About The Wrong Boy

Post by Lester Burnham »

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the site -- I've mostly lurked for the past few months, but I've been a huge fan of Elvis's for about five years now. Anyway, with the formalities out of the way, I've been listening to The Attractions' Mad About The Wrong Boy, and I'm disappointed with how sparse the liner notes are; does anyone have any information on it, like where and when it was recorded, when it was released, who plays guitar (or is that even guitar?)...

Also, who does the singing on the album? Is it just a case of whoever wrote it, sang it, or does Steve do most of the singing?

Thanks!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Welcome Lester!

'Mad..' was discussed before -

see

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... php?t=5186

A handy way to find stuff on this forum is to put a few key words into the 'search' function and see what it will get you.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

does anyone have any information on it, like where and when it was recorded, when it was released
It was released in September 1980, so it was presumably recorded shortly before that, between Get Happy!! and Trust. I don't know where it was recorded (aside from "in the British Isles," as it says on the back of the CD).
who plays guitar (or is that even guitar?)
I don't hear very much guitar, but as far as I know the Attractions play all the instruments. I know Pete sometimes plays guitar, but I don't know if he did in 1980.
Also, who does the singing on the album? Is it just a case of whoever wrote it, sang it, or does Steve do most of the singing?
Both, I believe. Steve does most of the writing, and I'm pretty sure that's him singing the 11 songs he wrote either by himself or with his then-wife as "Brain/Hart." I assume Bruce sings the three he's credited with writing ("Little Miss Understanding," Motorworld," and "Slow Patience"), and I guess Pete sings the two he co-wrote with Bruce ("La La La La La Loved You" and "Lonesome Little Town").

I've rarely listened to this album all the way through, and yet I find I rather enjoy these songs in small doses when they pop up on my iPod in shuffle mode.
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

"Arms Race" is great -- I've always liked it.
"On the Third Stroke" is good, too.

Haven't listened in 10 years or more.
Recall that some of it is pretty bad -- the songs are mostly OK, all of the playing is tremendous, and the singing is generally awful...
thepopeofpop

Re: Mad About The Wrong Boy

Post by thepopeofpop »

Lester Burnham wrote:does anyone have any information on it, like where and when it was recorded, when it was released, who plays guitar (or is that even guitar?)...

The liner notes reflect the very sparse kind of info available on Costello related releases back in the early days (although admittedly "Taking Liberties" does have some information, but it is the exception).

It was released in the summer of 1980, but it may have been recorded earlier than that.

It was recorded at Eden Studios and produced by Roger Bechirian.

All the Attractions can play guitar but on this album you'll find that the rhythm guitar is often Steve and the "lead guitar" parts (such as they are) are played by Bruce (who was virtually playing "lead bass" in the Attractions anyway).

The majority of the singing is by Steve, but that's because he wrote and/or co-wrote most of the songs.
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

Thanks everyone, great information. I really dig the album, it's got some good tracks on it, certainly not as good as what Elvis normally writes (and I was amused that he wasn't amused by the presence of the album, even going as far to redub it Too Clever By Two Thirds), but still pretty decent.
MatthewBest

Post by MatthewBest »

Actually I believe the guitar solos on "Mad About the Wrong Boy" were by Tim Renwick, who used to play with Bruce Thomas's old band, Sutherland Brothers & Quiver. I have the album sitting in my shed and can't remember if he's credited on it or not, but I'm almost certain he was drafted in to do the guitars. I think I was told this by either Steve Nieve or Fay Hart.

If you look at Tim's website he includes "The Attractions" as one of his session credits.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Slightly off kilter but on the video accompanying PLU Steve plays Elvis' Jazzmaster and obviously plays the real chords !
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

where's THAT sulky????? LINK PLEASE!!!!!!!
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

bronxapostle wrote:where's THAT sulky????? LINK PLEASE!!!!!!!
I think he is referring to the official video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WWp67DsTk4
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Thank you Soul for clarifying me, I like to flummux BA now and again :lol: :roll:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

thanks sulky...love being FLUMMuXED long distance by you!!!
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Can this material be found/heard anywhere online? A 'Youtube' search reveals no hits. It seems like it'd be an amusing way to while away a few minutes when I should be working :mrgreen:
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

I can now very much confirm that it is Bruce who is playing lead guitar. He actually quite fancies himself as a guitarist. You can only imagine what he thinks of Elvis' earlier efforts in this area. :lol:
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
edney

Post by edney »

I was under the impression that the album was recorded sometime around August/September 1979 when Elvis was producing the debut album by The Specials, but I might be wrong. Would make sense particularly with Elvis pre-occupied elsewhere.
MatthewBest

Post by MatthewBest »

I apologise if I was wrong about Tim Renwick playing guitar, but that it what I have always believed.

Can I ask how you managed to confirm that it was Bruce?
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

"Taste Of Poison" is a great new wave song!
Always one I wanted to cover if I had a band :)
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

The arrangement of Arms Race is kick-ass.
Particularly the bass line.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Oh, dear , I'm going to have to dig this out and listen to the LP and the free EP. I always loved Steve's playing and the performance of "Hooligans And Hula Girls " and "Al Green" from Keyboard Jungle on a BBC Whistle Test show were really excellent. I have recordings of this on a very ropey video but it's a classic !
Jocko Wainwright

Post by Jocko Wainwright »

I just noticed that someone put this entire album on YouTube yesterday. Perhaps one of you? Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMWo5JvyiPw
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Bruce answered some questions over Christmas about this album -

http://www.brucethomas.co.uk/?p=1883#comments

David Witherington I was playing “Mad About the Wrong Boy” recently and wondered if you sang lead on your songs? It’s really an interesting listen 32 years later…experimental pop sounds and the lyrics make intriguing images. This album is underrated and I like to revisit it from time to time. Nice work, and I’m grateful that it exists as part of the canon. Oh, and Merry Christmas! :)

Bruce
… and a Happy New Year. Yes, I did sing on my songs. It exists as part of a canon it should be shot out of :)

Your guitar playing as well?

Bruce All the good guitar work was super session man and ex-Quiverer, Tim Renwick.
MatthewBest

Post by MatthewBest »

Hooray! I was right about Tim Renwick being the guitarist. I was hoping my memory hadn't failed me. Now I'm just interested to know how thepopeofpop managed to get (and "confirm") the wrong information. Weird because he seems much more knowledgeable than me normally...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

What great news about the deluxe double cd reissue of this. I'm really looking forward to hearing Elvis' guide vocals on disc two and the sleevenote where he finally tells us how important Bruce Thomas was to his early days. OUT TODAY!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

WOW!!! i never heard of this coming. disc two features EC guide vocals???? on all tracks? WHAT A SCORE! 8) 8)

any link to purchase John?