hands up if you have the latest re-issues

Pretty self-explanatory
the poisoner

hands up if you have the latest re-issues

Post by the poisoner »

has this been done before?
no. really.
i just got mine and hour ago and am going home to listen to.

by the by, ' i lowered my cholesterol'
oh, i useta be disgusted
now i try to be amused
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I bought Get Happy!! as a really expensive import about a month ago, but they aren't available domestically yet in Canada, so I haven't gotten the others yet. :x
Branst

Post by Branst »

I just got all three of them 2 days ago. They are all great!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Us lucky folk over here could get them in Aug. The excitement now is being able to buy North on Monday (or, curse them, from last Friday for those lucky folk in Ireland). It's all too much. I'm really happy with all three reissues. They will keep me happy for a good while.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Poisoner.. you're lucky you get to have that 'all new elvis CD' experience 4 times this week! You lucky dog!
Branst

Post by Branst »

What reissue do you all think is the best?

Quality wise I think it's My Aim Is True, the Rykodisc version sounded horrible and I'm glad to have this album in great quality.

Bonus disc wise, I'm gonna go with Get Happy!! though I love Imperial Bedroom's bonus material.
Ha' Penny Millionaire

Post by Ha' Penny Millionaire »

Got all three in Omaha on Tuesday. Hey, Branst, we're neighbors.

I'm very mpressed with the PTC bonus disc. The demos are just great! More later.
It's a living, this is the life.
Branst

Post by Branst »

Hey, that's awesome, haven't met many Costello fans around here, it's good to know. What part of Omaha do you live in?
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

I bought all three on friday. I've only listened to Trust. I must say, I'm a little let down. Whereas the outtakes of Imperial Bedroom feature versions of songs that are very different from the album cuts; lyrics, melody, rythym, etc, the takes on Trust seem to only be stripped down versions of the final product. I don't see all of the rework and reinvention of the IB outtakes. I'd be interested to hear other's thoughts on this.
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Me have them all.
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

My 2 favorite bonus tracks right now, are "The Bells" which I've never heard before, and possibly the most amazing song ever, "Gloomy Sunday." wow. wow.
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
Ha' Penny Millionaire

Post by Ha' Penny Millionaire »

Branst, I'm a Midtown denizen. Whence comest thou?
It's a living, this is the life.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Wow...there's a spooky Omaha connection going on here... I lived in Omaha when I was 12 (see thread Thinking Ahead), and so did A Rope Leash...

has anyone else on the board been to Omaha?? I like the fact that people from the Cornhusker state hate people from Iowa (Idiots About Wandering Around anyone?)...such pointless rivalry always brings a smile to my face!
Roberts..how do they make it taste so good?

Speaking of Omaha, I saw the Counting Crows when I was in Phoenix this summer, and they were really bad....
A rope leash

High Plains Drifter

Post by A rope leash »

Back when Iowa was first starting up with riverboat gambling, the governor of Nebraska was quoted as saying "...if that boat turns around and enters our side of the river, we'll blow it out of the water".

Omaha is a very Catholic place. Council Bluffs is a bit like Soddom and Gamora to Omaha. Nebraska has always been opposed to gambling, but I believe that they now have their own state lottery.

I was very lonely in Omaha, having moved there from southern California. I just did not click with anybody. It was a strange time for me.

I may have actually been to the elementary school that was mentioned. I was working for an advertising huckster who did a lot of activities involving school-aged kids, so I made regular visits to a lot of schools in Nebraska. Ever hear of Channel One Television?

One thing about Omaha: too much salt! All the used cars are rusted-out hulks! I still get to Omaha once in a while...in fact, I was there two weeks ago...

I need someone to verify my corn flakes statement.

Small world, sorta...
Branst

Post by Branst »

Ha' Penny Millionaire wrote:Branst, I'm a Midtown denizen. Whence comest thou?
I live in the Northwest side of town, near 108th & Fort. I've lived here all of my life, some would think this is an unfortunate thing but I've grown to love this place. I really wouldn't want to live anywhere else honestly.
laughingcrow wrote:Wow...there's a spooky Omaha connection going on here... I lived in Omaha when I was 12 (see thread Thinking Ahead), and so did A Rope Leash...

has anyone else on the board been to Omaha?? I like the fact that people from the Cornhusker state hate people from Iowa (Idiots About Wandering Around anyone?)...such pointless rivalry always brings a smile to my face!
Roberts..how do they make it taste so good?

Speaking of Omaha, I saw the Counting Crows when I was in Phoenix this summer, and they were really bad....
One day I'm thinking about the lack of Costello fans in Omaha and I find this board where they're a dime a dozen.

Yes, we're "rivals" with Iowa but Missouri and Colorado should definitely be added to that mix. Recently it has much more to do with college football than anything.
A rope leash wrote:Back when Iowa was first starting up with riverboat gambling, the governor of Nebraska was quoted as saying "...if that boat turns around and enters our side of the river, we'll blow it out of the water".

Omaha is a very Catholic place. Council Bluffs is a bit like Soddom and Gamora to Omaha. Nebraska has always been opposed to gambling, but I believe that they now have their own state lottery.

I was very lonely in Omaha, having moved there from southern California. I just did not click with anybody. It was a strange time for me.

I may have actually been to the elementary school that was mentioned. I was working for an advertising huckster who did a lot of activities involving school-aged kids, so I made regular visits to a lot of schools in Nebraska. Ever hear of Channel One Television?

One thing about Omaha: too much salt! All the used cars are rusted-out hulks! I still get to Omaha once in a while...in fact, I was there two weeks ago...

I need someone to verify my corn flakes statement.

Small world, sorta...
Funny how gambling is such a big issue in Nebraska. After a few years of seeing how well it's worked on the other side, you'd think that they'd consider intergrating it into Omaha but they are all fixed on keeping it out of Omaha. More money for Iowa.

I remember Channel 1 when I was in junior high school, we would watch it right before we headed to lunch. All I really remember about the actual show though is how cheesy the segments were.
A rope leash

Ch 1

Post by A rope leash »

Channel One was designed to hook kids on M&M's and Coca-cola. The rest is just flashy filler.
the poisoner

Post by the poisoner »

well. i know this is off the 'omaha' topic but...
i spent saturday and sunday listening to all three.
of course, they were great.

i found 'ptc' the best. hands down.it had more new songs on it. and i found even the 'alternates' clever in their own way.
it is the one i kept going back to.

then,actually, i liked 'trust'. something about it made the songs seem really new. it was like it took me a minute to figure out what song it was tho i have listened to the ryko trust forever.

get happy was a pleasant third.
oh, i useta be disgusted
now i try to be amused
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I like PTC the best out of the reissues too...I mean I loved the others, but I just think that Charm School, The Invisible Man, Mouth Almighty and then King of Thieves feel so intricately woven together like a song cycle. This album always feels so criminally underrated, its got some really brilliant short songs on it, and the brass sounds add so much to the sound of the album.

Back to Omaha.... when I lived in Omaha, a kid of eighteen murdered his mum in the house just behind mine. It must be an american thing, like the NY blackouts or september 11th, cos Ive never seen a community come together so quickly. I liked Omaha, maybe it lacked a little diversity, there was only one black guy in my school, but people were really nice. The old town was a really cool place too!
GO BIG RED!
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

just bought trust and get happy. i totally dig the full band version of hoover factory on the trust bonus disc and i got a total kick out of the fast versions of watch your step that are on both reissues(buit slightly different). i think the ska influenced original version of new lace sleeves off the gh reissue is outstanding and the cover of slow down completely rocks. i still haven't purchased ptc yet because i can only buy one more cd before payday and i'm going with north.
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-