American Without Tears

Pretty self-explanatory
robertchao

American Without Tears

Post by robertchao »

What is this song about? It seems to be about people who fell in love during WWii. But why does the narrator sing about New Orleans?
double dutchess

Post by double dutchess »

In the liner notes to the recent edition of "King of America" Elvis wrote about meeting two English ladies in New Orleans who had been WWII brides, and they inspired the song.

When he played it at Wolf Trap in July 2005, I thought my head was going to explode from pure joy.

Did he ever explain the twilight version? I think I love that one even more.
I wasn't born the sharpest thorn
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

I very much prefer the other version.
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

double dutchess wrote:
Did he ever explain the twilight version? I think I love that one even more.
It's meant to be the "sequel" to the original song - what happens to one of the women (and the GI she married) in the first song later in her life - just in EC's imagination of course. The giveaway is the last few lines:

"It was the story of a young English poppet
Who took up with a soldier boy and thought she would profit
Just like me she found out what true love is about
But anyway she's in New Orleans - it would never work out"

One of my fave EC moments ever - although that very last line is mysterious. Does he mean he fell in love with this woman?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis writes -

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... php?t=3590

"American Without Tears": Most of this is a true story, though I confess I moved the terrible lounge pianist known as "a cocktail murderess" from a bar in Las Vegas to the same town as the lovely GI brides.

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... php?t=3473

..............we went on to cut "American Without Tears".
This song was based on a chance meeting with a couple of former G.I. brides during a tour of Florida. They had volunteered their stories while I was drinking at an adjacent table. Of course the names and locations were changed and I added in a little of my own family history but it stayed pretty true to their tale of exile and escape.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

A bit of extra detail, the reference to a bicycle factory (and Robin Hood, of course) locate at least one of the girls in Nottingham, England (home of Raleigh cycles).
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I've always liked the KOA version best.
corruptio optimi pessima
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I was just pleased to hear the word 'Idaho' in an Elvis song.
double dutchess

Post by double dutchess »

This song was based on a chance meeting with a couple of former G.I. brides during a tour of Florida.
Whoops, Florida, my bad. :oops:
Does he mean he fell in love with this woman?
I always assumed he was singing from the point of view of an ex-husband of one of the ladies. But I never understood why the main character of the song was in Cuba.

Incidentally, while I was travelling last summer I had a layover at the airport in Atlanta, so I bought a copy of the Atlanta Constitution. There was an article about GI Brides, which I probably would not have appreciated had I not been such a fan of these songs.
I wasn't born the sharpest thorn
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

You guys know how I feel about KOA and this has always been one of my all time favorite EC songs. I absolutely adore the lyrics, the music, just everything. I never get tired of hearing it. I only know what I have read from the KOA liner notes and many of those things have already been mentioned here.
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

double dutchess wrote:
Does he mean he fell in love with this woman?
I always assumed he was singing from the point of view of an ex-husband of one of the ladies. But I never understood why the main character of the song was in Cuba.
Ah, the famous "Costello Perspective Shift Trick". I should have seen that coming. (I wasn't suggesting that he fell in love in any serious way, BTW, just a passing fancy).

Since the original song is about exiles of one sort or another, I guess Cuba is just another example of that.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

ReadyToHearTheWorst wrote:A bit of extra detail, the reference to a bicycle factory (and Robin Hood, of course) locate at least one of the girls in Nottingham, England (home of Raleigh cycles).
And hence the chat up line of "I'm the Sheriff of Nottingham and this is Little John".
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

I saw EC live in 1986 in a solo show in London (The Royalty) and he sang American Without Tears then told a story about what happens if you write a song and halfway through the song the main character very rudely gets up and leaves. He then went into the twilight version.