The Official "I Have North" Thread...

Pretty self-explanatory
frank

Post by frank »

North is released in Europe today, with 'impatience' on track 12, the dvd and the code to download North. On the last page of the booklet are the words 'For the lass of R.H.' - does someone know what this means ?
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Took a 40 minute detour on the way home tonight and bought North (inc DVD) for £14.

I'll probably see it in the local supermarket for less, but so what.

I now have a 'spare' downloaded copy. Should I delete it? Yes!
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Smallfaces1

Post by Smallfaces1 »

Impatience is cool but i can't really get into the rest! not enough melody! but thats jazz for ya. i had hoped for more shipbuilding/i want to vanish/still to soon to know. i'll probably luv it in a month!!!!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Am insanely jealous of all of you. I just couldn't get into town today, much as I couldn't get to see EC recording Sold On Song this evening. As I'm out of the country till Friday, I reckoned ordering it + Reality at 10.99 a pop on CD-WOW (who were stunningly cheap and quick with it for the reissues, even if they did come from Hong Kong!) was a better option. reality has been depatched, I'm informed, but it gave 29 Nov as North release date, I think, or at least version + DVD., I thought the first 100,000 had DVD anyway, so what the fuck's going on. Play.com was the same. I'll puke if I have to wait that long. Mind you, I will have relaity to listen to...

Great photo, Plaything!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

anyone got a scooby about the internet track?

I dont wanna download yet cos Im on the computer equivalent of a lazy Methuselah. Can you download (shock horror!) MORE than once? Is it a massive file?

I love the album by the way...it seeps into you by osmosis, and then you can't get it out of your kylie.
Smallfaces1

Post by Smallfaces1 »

its growing on me quite quickly!
Ha' Penny Millionaire

Post by Ha' Penny Millionaire »

I got a promo of NORTH last night from an old friend in the music industry. Still sealed; etc. Being the nice guy that I am, I dropped it off at a friend's house as a gift for him and his wife (they discovered EC's music together about five years ago).

I guess you could say "I HAD North."

Now, I need a copy for myself (besides my downloaded-and-burned CD)!
It's a living, this is the life.
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

I don't have North yet.

Amazon.com is offering pre-orders on the initial release w/ DVD for $12.98. Buying one for a friend makes sense, because any order over $25 qualifies for free shipping.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
rollinrock

Post by rollinrock »

I will have North come this Tuesday Sept. 23
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I have had North since Monday 15th.

I think a poll is in order.............
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Well, finally,

I HAVE NORTH!!!!!

I tore it open on the way out of the store and popped it into the stereo before driving home. In listening to it so far, I feel like I should be in a slinky dress at a martini bar somewhere.:wink:
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

spooky girlfriend wrote:I feel like I should be in a slinky dress at a martini bar somewhere.:wink:
I second that!

That's to say that you, Spooky, not I should be there and so attired.

I have North as well and at last.

What a week! First I got to hear the songs live last night, mostly before I'd heard the recorded versions (and of course, sixteen others); today I get to spend hours admiring the discs (CD and DVD) and their wonderful qualities without playing them until I get home from work ("Say, aren't these discs admirably round? And just look at the superb flatness!"); I could choose to stop at the Virgin store after work to watch the concert simulcast, but I think I'll forego that in order to listen to the entire album at my leisure before watching the Letterman show appearance; then it's back to Town Hall tomorrow night for another concert, to compare the experience of hearing the songs performed after I know them to last night's, when I didn't; and then of course Thursday night will bring the A&E "Live by Request" broadcast.

I am one happy camper!

What can I possibly do Friday?
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
Uncomplicated

Post by Uncomplicated »

It's Tuesday here in the states and I will finally have North in about 4 hours!

I CAN'T WAIT!!!

:D
It's in your eyes..... It's in your eyes.....
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Got it!!! (Officially this time!)

So, my question is, is the down-loadable track NORTH or is it IMPATIENCE, and how to I get the other one, since neither is on my copy??? I am lost.... I though IMPATIENCE would be on the CD and NORTH would be the download???

HS-- I did that same kind of admiring today, and dang if you're not right about the exquisite roundness! And on Friday you can atone for the huge amount of guilt you've induced in the rest of us!
Veronica

Post by Veronica »

Went to Newbury Comics at noon today and bought NORTH. Put in on in the car and made it through the first few tracks on the way back to the office.
I didn't want to read the lyrics before listening...but maybe I should have done that. It was entirely not what I expected, and I knew what to expect.
It's going to be tough liking the first few...way too melancholy for even an almost rainy day. I made it as far as STILL before getting to the office parking lot. Left it in the car for the way home later. I actually felt like a voyeur. I like the ballad genre, like the strings and the sound of the voice. I really like PFM. Just not sure about this one...
Sour Milk Cow

Post by Sour Milk Cow »

selfmademug wrote:Got it!!! (Officially this time!)

So, my question is, is the down-loadable track NORTH or is it IMPATIENCE, and how to I get the other one, since neither is on my copy??? I am lost.... I though IMPATIENCE would be on the CD and NORTH would be the download???
I think "north" is the download, although there was talk that EC was going to make "Impatience" available to download. Instead, it is a bonus track in the UK, Japan, but not the USA. We just get the eleven songs.

I hope, hope, hope that he releases Impatience and Too Blue and North at some point for the American market, especially since the album seems to be getting a better reception here than in the UK, judging from the reviews that have come out.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I finally got it too, although officially CD-WOW's site said it wasn't released until the 29th. Can't believe I've had to wait so long. Last time I plan a trip abroad to coincide with an Elvis release date (and a ticket to see him at the BBC, boo-hoo!). Still, the anticipation is such fun, it's like being a teenager again, and also I wasn't expecting it till later in the week, so a thrill to find it at home, waiting for me unexpectedly (can't believe my wife, in the three phone conversations we had today told me about various other things but didn't mention this!). It may have come, as always with this company, from Hong Kong, but it's the European edition with Impatience and the DVD.

Lovely packaging. What fun to see Elv with classy Deutsche Gramophon. I love the classy matt booklet with gloss photos. A cut above the usual thing in production values. Does the US edition contain the D/F/E translations? Standard for DG and classical CDs in general, but highly unexpected on something from someone more in the 'pop' genre, not that North is. I was hoping for an essay by someone learned too, but sadly not. Nice clear credits. What's really weird is the numbering of lyric lines, 1-29, fading out after the last line, although Still and Let Me Tell You About her both number the line after the lyric ends, which I think we will have to take as an error! And the voids between the verses are also numbered, so it's not as if we're referring to actual lines of the words! All very odd.

I'm on track 4, and so far I love it. This is exactly what I was expecting, only better. Lovely arrangements, great voice, lovely sense of space and subtlety, interesting chords and melodies. As Elv said so well in the J Ross interview, we live in a world where so many things are competing to give us instant gratification which can lead to immediate stuff with no lasting appeal. Give me the opposite. Something with depth that's gonna repay lots of hours.

And, of course, it's the perfect CD for listening to late at night before you nod off in the dark on the walkman. I can't wait to go to bed...
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Oh, I almost forgot about this thread! I have North! Listened to it twice in a row last night, it's lovely, makes me want to cuddle. Yes, rain, yes, autumn, yes, martini, yes, heartbreak, yes, smooching.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Its definitely a great "lying in bed" record. Also really good if you ever have the urge to go from a desolate sort of place to a more hopeful one . . .
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

... yes but it's only when I stood back from the songs I noticed that they told a story, but the experience is something we can all relate to...

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

miss buenos aires wrote:Northit's lovely, makes me want to cuddle. Yes, rain, yes, autumn, yes, martini, yes, heartbreak, yes, smooching.
YES!
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Just picked it up today, haven't had the chance to listen, yet...

My local shop said they'd have umpteen copies in stock, but, when I got there today, got the LAST copy!!

Will try to find time to listen after work, while working on Tribute CD graphics, hope to have them done by the 30th.
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

When I got to Circuit City today, there were 3 copies left....so I took one for myself, and took one of the other ones and put it in front of the Creed CD's....that way, if people walk by, they see 2 North's.

Does anyone else do these things, or am I psycho?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Good thinking, though you'll make it harder for fellow Elvis fans to find the disc!
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

No problems there Blue, I left one North in it's normal spot (in front of all the reissues, so that was nice to see) and I put the other North one slot to the right, in front of the Creed Cd's. 2 birds with one stone!!! Actually, the CD that was immediately covered up by the Imposter, looked to be a Creed tribute CD called "Picking On Creed" YIKES, I DON'T EVEN WANT TO KNOW...