Elvis '..had me crushing as a child '

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis '..had me crushing as a child '

Post by johnfoyle »

Is this some kind of 'dudespeak' with which I'm not conversant?

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... source=RSS

The Ledger , Lakeland, Florida.

Thursday, November 2, 2006

'My Aim is True' vs. 'First Band on the Moon'

"â—
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Dudespeak - I don't think so... They're based in the middle of Florida with no wave action happening there.

You can learn everything you ever wanted to know about dudespeak here:

Dude
Scott F. Kiesling
Department of Linguistics
University of Pittsburgh

- Excerpt -
The recent history of dude provides insight into its indexicalities as well as its rise in use in the United States. The discussion that follows is based on Hill’s (1994) history of the term to the recent past (until approximately the 1980s). Dudes were originally old rags, and a dudesman a scarecrow. In the latter half of the nineteenth century, "dude became synonymous with dandy a term used to designate a sharp dresser in the western territories [of the United States]" (321).

http://www.pitt.edu/~kiesling/dude/dude.pdf
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Argh! I hate it when people recommend My Aim Is True as a starting point from getting into Elvis. It's quite a weak album in retrospect. Though I can see why the lyrics were refreshing at the time, the music and arrangements are pretty basic and just not exhilarating in the way the Attractions stuff is.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

agreed Neil...people should recommend newer albums by him, I think they're easier to get into. The older albums just sound older and most people prefer hearing modern stuff and making their way down. well at least I do...

I wouldn't recommend RIR because it's not very Elvis, but maybe something like WIWC or North.
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied