Ross McManus

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

he recently took a non-singing role before the TV cameras in company with Abbey and National Theatre players in Alun Owen's play "Time For The Funny Walk",

For Amusement Only

Time for the Funny Walk

8 September 1968, ITV

"Time for the Funny Walk" was one of six hour-long productions in the ITV series "For Amusement Only."

The segment was written by Alun Owen, a British screenwriter best remembered for writing the screenplay of The Beatles' debut film A Hard Day's Night in 1964. Owen also appeared in the production.

http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/title/383142

FOR AMUSEMENT ONLY: TIME FOR THE FUNNY WALK

(1968)

Top five cast

Henry BRETT, Jeremy
Richard BRADY, Terence
Mulcathy OWEN, Alun
Monica MOFFATT, Geraldine
Dave MacMANUS, Ross
johnfoyle

Re: Ross McManus

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.rocksbackpages.com/

Rock's Backpages have this -

Fathers & Sons: The Costellos

Fred Schruers, Rolling Stone, 11 November 1999

DECLAN MACMANUS took to the stage in 1977, an angry young man sporting Buddy Holly glasses and a strange name: Elvis Costello. But he wasn't the first MacManus to use Costello as his stage name – that was his dad, Ross, a jazz trumpeter and pop vocalist since the early Fifties.

"He had a ska/blue beat hit in Germany," says Elvis with pride, "and a minor hit on 'The Long and Winding Road', under the name Day Costello. That was the first time the Costello name – it's my great-grandmother's name – kind of like emerged from our family."

Music runs deep in the MacManus family – Elvis' grandfather learned trumpet in an English military band and played aboard luxury liners during the Titanic days. Elvis’ twenty-three-year-old son, Matt, has started a band in London. Ross, 72, was raised in Birkenhead, England, and went from playing bebop jazz trumpet to winning acclaim as a vocalist with the popular Joe Loss Orchestra. For anyone wondering how Elvis Costello progressed from angry young man to Burt Bacharach collaborator, the answer emerges as father and son conduct what's clearly a very fond and long-lived dialogue about music and life. Clearly, for this family, there's no separating the two.

Elvis:
Originally my dad was a bop player; the dance band that he [later] sang with was based on the Glenn Miller model, that swinging beat. They included the tunes from the hit parade in the set in the dance hall, and they did a radio broadcast every Friday – not just the ballads but the rocking stuff. I've got a recording of this orchestra playing Pink Floyd's 'See Emily Play'. Can you imagine? So we never had that generational divide. I had my dad literally coming home and learning the hit-parade tunes every week; there's a record called Ross MacManus Sings Frank Sinatra.

Ross:
We had a radio program in which we did all the hits live. So I might be Jim Reeves, or I might be Roy Orbison, the Beatles or the Rolling Stones. Elvis was listening to all this. The famous story about him is that his very first words were, "Skin, Mommy." He wanted 'I've Got You Under My Skin', by Sinatra. That and Peggy Lee singing the 'Siamese Cat Song'. I think he was determined to succeed and knew he would succeed. He had perfect faith in himself. Dec used to go out and do shows when he was thirteen, fourteen, fifteen. He developed bit by bit under his own steam.

Elvis:
The New Wave thing, there was a little bit of, "Don't back down" – my dad understood that. The most crazy things that happened in my career were because of the speed we worked at, the amount of drinking and craziness, and things spun out of control. But my dad, my parents, always knew who I was – that I wasn't going nuts. I remember that the woman that dad sang with for a number of years, Rose Brennan, told me my dad was always either flirting with the tallest, best-looking woman in the room or trying to pick a fight with the biggest guy in the room, depending on his mood. "He was a terror," she said. I think that's where I get some of it from. A lot of the instinctive things I have about being onstage come from watching my dad and the discipline of that band. I saw that it wasn't actually glamorous, that it was sort of a job. So by the time I was a teenager, I wasn't all that convinced I would do music for a living, as much as I loved it.

Ross:
I often say to people, "My little boy was stolen by the fairies and they brought Elvis Costello in his place." Because when he comes here to my house, it's just the family, we just sit and we talk, and I'm in awe of what he does, how he remembers it all and how he presents it all. But when I go to the Albert Hall to see him, I'm also saying, "I mightn't have done that just there" – a little bit like the passenger whose feet are driving the car even though I haven't got the pedal on my side.

Elvis: I have a fairly powerful voice; his is much more melodious than mine and very much more powerful, and I have the memory of him singing and the door rattling in the frame. He never had the recording career that I thought he deserves. He's always been an amazing performer, always had bold choices of songs. By the time I got to my fifth album, by the early Eighties, I wasn't listening to pop music – I was listening to all jazz. You can hear the shape of songs starts to change. And that comes from this broad-mindedness that was fostered in my household from an early age. He gave me some very good advice. I can't tell you the number of times it pops into my head in crucial moments, like when you get a rough throat or you’re feeling low – and that is, "Never look up to a note, always look down."

Ross: He doesn't suffer fools gladly, but my experience is that he's a very loving person. My mom was stricken with Alzheimer's at the end and needed twenty-four-hour-a-day care. He saw to it that she got it. He wrote the song 'Veronica' for her; her first names were Molly Josephine Veronica. She used to say, "You can call me anything you like, but my name is Veronica," and he used that. He phones from Tokyo, and when he's been on an hour, I say, "Get off the phone; watch your bill." That's me being Dad, you see. But the last thing we always say is, "I love you." It's a private moment, but it's the truth.

© Fred Schruers, 1999
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Latest 'Ross loot ' - the German edition of Patsy Girl -

Tommy Shambles

Re:

Post by Tommy Shambles »

johnfoyle wrote:My latest piece of Ross vinyl - a U.S. edition of the Patsy Girl single -

Ah yes I remember it well, " They say you're nothing but a Patsy Girl, like a million more all over the world. "

:oops:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Another Ross item on ebay -

'To Mac and Sylvie, Love and Peace, Ross MacManus. '
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

What about the Understanding?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Happy Birthday to the man who brought us THE MAN! ( ... and Happy Birthday to me, too! Tequila gimlets in two hours time. I'll be raising the glass to Ross, friends, and all Librans born on this day. Yeah!)
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

With apologies for being 10 months late, but I have only just read John's comment of 2 December last year -

"In 1998, the spangled ball stopped turning. Some might say that it is rotating faster than ever now the old formula has been revivified by an infusion of celebrities. But I for one find it impossible to get excited. The strained efforts of Mark Ramprakash or Gabby Logan cannot compare with the terpsichorean genius of the Peggy Spencer Latin Formation Team."

As the current Mrs MOOT was herself a member of the Peggy Spencer Ballroom Dancing team (and I have the photos to prove it), it is gratifying that someone still remembers the finest dance teacher in Penge who took South London hairdressers and bus-drivers (Mrs MOOT excepted) and turned them into Champions!

Clearly, Strictly Come Dancing is back with us again and last Saturday saw a couple executing the Pasa Doble to the strains (and I mean strains) of the Kaiser Chiefs' "I predict a riot". So which EC song(s) would you most like to see as backing music on a future show?

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This link has a load of downloads of Joe Loss albums -

http://www.passionate-music.com/2009/07 ... ction.html

Ross Mc Manus isn't necessarily on any of the albums. A listen to to them should help.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Ross will be 82 on Oct 20 - here's hoping he has a great day.

A soundfile posted earlier in this thread is still available. It's of The Sailor's Return from a 1970's folk album , Ross' voice featuring unaccompanied for most of the song. Hear it here -

http://www.mediafire.com/?6x9gnrlxswb
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Alright! Happy Birthday, Ross. I'll be celebrating, too, since I was born on the same day many, many, many years ago. Here's to partying down with gimlets and goblets... or sweet treats, whatever you prefer... and to giving birth to one of the best songwriters of our time... Wish I could party down with this guy... something tells me, he is one cool guy. I'll sober up next year, I swear.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Happy Birthday Ross

Couple of weeks ago I met a singer who claimed to have done the same circuit as Ross and shared "digs" and many a drink with him, mainly around the NW of England. For the record he said "he was very pro Irish and had hassle with the Police after the Warrington bombing".

HIS words not mine. Doesn't colour my view either way.

Many Happy Returns!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This anniversary item has popped up on a few sites -

http://vincetracy.com/blog9/2010/03/23/ ... h-actress/

Music Stuff

March 23rd

1967, at a ceremony held at the Playhouse Theatre in London, The Beatles were awarded three Ivor Novello awards for 1966: Best-selling British single ‘Yellow Submarine’, most-performed song ‘Michelle’, and next-most-performed song ‘Yesterday’. None of the Beatles attended and the winning songs were played by Joe Loss and his Orchestra. The lead vocal for ‘Michelle’ was sung by Ross MacManus. His son would become Elvis Costello.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A Argentinian release by Ross -

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ0Ky3To ... ture=share

At Last from the excellent album Joe Loss plays Glenn Miller , Ross McManus doing the vocals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI_O1xvb ... re=related

'At Last' (music by Harry Warren, lyrics by Mark Gordon) sung by Elvis Costello accompanied by pianist Marian McPartland for her radio program "Piano Jazz" released on CD in 2003.

Both of the R Whites ads!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnxLjbwmJjM

R Whites Lemonade re-made advert staring original Ross McManus (father of Elvis Costello) a different wife & the great Frankie Howard.
History History

Post by History History »

This isn't Ross in these adverts,it's a man called Julian Chagrin miming to a Ross & Elvis recording, Elvis appeared in an early version playing guitar. I have the original ad on a video with Elvis, even though Elvis has claimed in the past that it cannot be found.

See: http://julianchagrin.blogspot.com/2007/ ... e-man.html
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Happy Birthday, Ross! (and to me, along with Tom Petty, Wanda Jackson, and Snoop Dogg.) Hope Ross is in a good place today, surrounded by family and friends. "I say a little prayer for you..."
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

MOJO wrote:Happy Birthday, Ross! (and to me, along with Tom Petty, Wanda Jackson, and Snoop Dogg.) Hope Ross is in a good place today, surrounded by family and friends. "I say a little prayer for you..."
Ditto, Couldn't have put it better. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

and also to you too MOJO!
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Thanks! Gimlets to be consumed in a few hours with friends. I will raise a glass for ROSS, too!
migdd

Post by migdd »

Imbibing a gimlet in your honor, Mojo, and for Ross as well! Happy Birthday!!!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Get Happy!
by

STUART MACONIE

(from ‘Love Is The Drug…living as a pop fan’, Penguin, 1994)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Love-Drug-John- ... 39&sr=1-37

(extract)

I'd known for some time that Costello's father, Ross McManus, had been the singer with Joe Loss's band in the fifties. It was something I happened to mention one day round at my parents' house. Oh, yes,' said my mother without looking up from her knitting, `Ross McManus. He does the clubs now. He's always round here. In fact, let me check the book.' I ought to point out that The Book, in our house, was not The Holy Bible but Spotlight, a listings mag that told you exactly when Peter Firmani (Well Respected Tenor) was next playing Garstang Soldiers & Sailors Club. `Yeah, he's on at Worsley Mesnes Labour Club next week.'

Next week found me and John drinking mild at five pence a pint and filling in a bingo card each. At about eight, we were asked to give best of order, and a pixieish man in a white jacket and glasses came on. It was Ross McManus, Elvis Costello's dad, and we loved him instantly. He played trumpet in `Georgia on My Mind', sang a few standards and did a weird little dance in a strobe light during The Strawbs' `Part of the Union'. Then he went off for the break. During which, something must have happened. My mother must have pulled in some arcane favour in the Wigan entertainment industry Mafia, for when Ross returned he announced — and I can remember these words almost verbatim — `It's come to my knowledge that there are some fans of my son's in the audience. For those of you who don't know, my son Declan metamorphosised into the rock and roll phenomenon that is Elvis Costello. And for them and for the rest of you, I'd like to do a few of his songs now.'

He passed around some sheet music to the organist and drummer, who looked at each other, shrugged and then launched into `Oliver's Army'. It was ace. Then he did `Good Year for the Roses' and then, unbelievably, he did `Alison'. `Alison'! After that, it came as almost no surprise when, later in the evening, a man sidled up to us and muttered, `Ross says join him for a drink backstage.'

And so, for a summer, we became Elvis Costello's dad's mates. We humped gear, we stood him barley wines, we listened enraptured to tales of Steve Nieve's musical prowess ('He's chock-full of tunes, that lad') and how Elvis had bought a grand piano as a tax loss. He gave me a hand-made T-shirt that an American fan had made with a silk print of Elvis on the front and the slogan Almost Blue Almost Out Now' that Elvis had left behind in a dressing room in New York. And he would try to throw in a few Costello numbers each time for us. The last time I saw him was at a Falklands Benefit at St Cuthbert's Catholic Club, Pemberton. We moved his amp for him and he said sheepishly, `No Elvis tonight, lads. This bloody organist and drummer aren't up to it.'

So, we contented ourselves with Ross's own tunes and an extraordinary set from a miner in a frilly shirt with his arm in plaster. It was a happy summer of cheap beer and nice people and full houses and jackpots and all the twos, twenty-two. And if you're reading this, Ross, I hope you're well.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

That's such a lovely story. Thanks John.

Stuart Maconie is a good egg. He was always complimentary and supportive of my old band "Bradford". He interviewed us a couple of times. It's a wonderful thought Ross singing Elvis tunes too. Would have loved to hear some of that, and of course a game of bingo :)
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Great anecdote. Yeah, I like Maconie, too - though I remember Elvis slagging him off in the past - I think because he didn't fully embrace The Juliet Letters in a review for Q or Select or Vox, or one of those early 90s magazines!